The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Unchanged Windies Test squad forTour of Zimbabwe

sgtdjones 2017-10-03 16:06:44 

For immediate release
Tuesday, October 3, 2017

UNCHANGED WINDIES TEST SQUAD FOR TOUR OF ZIMBABWE

ST. JOHN’S, Antigua – The Selection Panel of Cricket West Indies announced on Tuesday a 15-member squad for the Tour of Zimbabwe later this month.

SQUAD
Jason Holder (Captain)
Kraigg Brathwaite (Vice Captain)
Devendra Bishoo
Jermaine Blackwood
Roston Chase
Miguel Cummins
Shane Dowrich
Shannon Gabriel
Shimron Hetmyer
Kyle Hope
Shai Hope
Alzarri Joseph
Kieran Powell
Raymon Reifer
Kemar Roach

Team Management Unit
Stuart Law (Head Coach)
Joel Garner (Team Operations Manager)
Roderick Estwick (Assistant Coach)
Toby Radford (Assistant Coach)
Ryan Maron (Assistant Coach)
C.J. Clark (Physiotherapist)
Ronald Rogers (Strength & Conditioning Coordinator)
Jeffrey Gay (Massage Therapist)
Dexter Augustus (Video Data Analyst)
Philip Spooner (Media Relations Manager)

Commenting on the squad, Courtney Browne, chairman of the CWI selection panel, said: “The selection panel is pleased to announce the same Test squad that toured England to visit Zimbabwe. The dedication, commitment and focus in their preparation and during the series in England showed immense character for such a young team in very difficult conditions against World-class competition. The lessons learnt on that tour augurs well for the individual players and the team’s continued development as a whole and we wish them well on the Tour of Zimbabwe.”

-ENDS-

SCHEDULE OF MATCHES
October
Sun 15 to Tue 17 Tour Match – Zimbabwe “A” vs West Indians – Bulawayo Athletic Club, Bulawayo
Sat 21 to Wed 25 1st Test – Queen’s Sports Club, Bulawayo
Sun 29 to Thu, November 2 2nd Test – Queen’s Sports Club

DIEHARD 2017-10-03 16:33:42 

In reply to sgtdjones

Is this for real??

Kyle & Cummins really retained??

Wow..still no chances for Evin Lewis?

Star 2017-10-03 16:51:08 

In reply to DIEHARD

Wow..still no chances for Evin Lewis?

Don't think he would be fully recovered from that injury.

natty_forever 2017-10-03 16:56:43 

In reply to Star... with one foot, he still better than Kyle.
big grin

Narper 2017-10-03 16:58:30 

Hmmm quota Bishoo is getting another vacation trip.

natty_forever 2017-10-03 16:59:46 

In reply to Narper... carrying water and towel isn't a vacation in my books.

openning 2017-10-03 17:37:07 

I think the seniors are smarter than most of allyuh, they made themselves unavailable for ODI, you really think they want to wrist injury playing test?

Sunil Narine and Darren Bravo declined to be considered for ODIs in England.
“Narine has however confirmed his desire to play 50-over cricket again but has asked to play in our Regional Super50 before he is considered and Darren said he was not available for selection. Dwayne Bravo said he is still not 100 per cent fit, but is looking at a possible return to international cricket next year,” Browne revealed.

Sunil Narine and Darren Bravo declined to be considered for ODIs in England.

imusic 2017-10-03 17:49:59 

So. Who is Kyle Hope's godfather? lol

openning 2017-10-03 17:55:46 

In reply to imusic

He is the TTCB 4-day team captain.
Allyuh should be proud, to have such representation.

lol lol

sunfish 2017-10-03 18:12:14 

I thought Dowrich would have gotten the axe because he performed so poorly in England. The man did not look like test material.

openning 2017-10-03 18:16:56 

In reply to sunfish

Dowrich replacements have been selected for the A team

jacksparrow 2017-10-03 18:50:17 

these people delusional or drunk.

londoner 2017-10-03 19:54:29 

In reply to jacksparrow Are these selectors the four blind mice? who told Browne that Cummins was a Test bowler?this was the time to blend in another Spinner or batsman, but no they think every thing went well in England. God help us.

CITYBOY 2017-10-03 19:59:19 

Hola....Courtney got a lot of guts ....he know in the West indies nobody burning down people house etc for sake of cricket...
anyway Bishoo finally got a godfather...free money and travelling the world../he better keep them water bottles filled and towels clean...recession in Guyana,he cant afford to lose this lil wuk.
Adios
CB

WestDem 2017-10-03 20:01:46 

It’s called continuation of selected ones that can take us to the top once again... Chop and change got us no where so I support the selectors here! From playing England to Zim is not easy as I know allyuh want allyuh homies to get a crack to shine, crooks are easy to identify!

Great move this! lol lol

openning 2017-10-03 20:02:27 

In reply to Narper

Man you should had listened to the Mason show.
Bishoo had plenty support
The last caller said, there was no yard stick to evaluate Bishoo, having bowled , only a few overs in the series
He went on to say, he was bowling 47 overs out of ninety, no one commented of the over-bowling of him then, or the under-bowling him, in the series.

tc1 2017-10-03 22:11:41 

In reply to CITYBOY

CB, Browne Pick Bishoe , so rejoice

Wally-1 2017-10-03 23:12:15 

In reply to sunfish

What do you have against Dowrich apart from him having a bad series..This youngster has the goods.

mikesiva 2017-10-04 01:56:12 

In reply to sgtdjones

The excuse seems to be that playing in England is hard.

Well in contrast playing against Zimbabwe should be easy. Anyone who can't perform against Zimbabwe should be given a golden handshake.

jen 2017-10-04 02:21:50 

In reply to Wally-1

Dowrich with the bat, I have time for, but to be honest, his keeping of late is way below test standard. Kyle, Dowrich & Cummins lucky to be back on tour.

mikesiva 2017-10-04 05:25:00 

Sun Oct 15 - Tue Oct 17 09:30 local (07:30 GMT | 08:30 BST)
Zimbabwe A v West Indies
Bulawayo Athletic Club

Sat Oct 21 - Wed Oct 25 09:30 local (07:30 GMT | 08:30 BST)
1st Test - Zimbabwe v West Indies
Queens Sports Club, Bulawayo

Sun Oct 29 - Thu Nov 2 09:30 local (07:30 GMT)
2nd Test - Zimbabwe v West Indies
Queens Sports Club, Bulawayo

Talk about cutting costs...no matches in Harare.
smile

thefacts 2017-10-04 06:26:00 

Kieran Powell
Kyle Hope
Shane Dowrich
Miguel Cummins

FUNNY AS FCUK

HA HA HA

thefacts 2017-10-04 06:30:45 

Dumb Trinis still won't gather the courage to stand up against this insult and GO ALONE.

Evin Lewis
Jason Mohd.
Dinesh Ramdin

all deserved to be on that team on MERIT... and instead WI Have:

Powell: 15 Tests and 29 innings, Not a single score of 50
Dowrich: His Wicket keeping is an embarrassment and his batting form has ditched him, but his passport remains his biggest skill
Cummins: He looked clueless, both in tests and ODIs. His test bowling average is 46.
Kyle Hope: This is again, a passport based selection. How he keeps J Mo out of the side, beats me.

THE BAJANS AND DOTTIES TEAM.

FUNNY AS FCUK

HA HA HA

natty_forever 2017-10-04 07:31:38 

In reply to thefacts... population below 500000, you are a dot.

big grin

solidrock 2017-10-04 09:29:59 

In reply to sgtdjones

How can I reconcile moron thinking keep a few of these guys in this squad? It is so wrong when we have better players to choose from.

azadtnt 2017-10-04 10:29:08 

Out- Powell, Dowrich, Chase, Cummings, Hope
In - Lewis, Mohammed, Ramdin, Ambris, Joseph/Khan
My starting eleven:
Braitwaite
Lewis
Hope
Mohammed
Ambris
Ramdin
Holder
Bishoo
Roach
A Joseph
Gabriel
This would have been my selection, others may differ, however, we all have an opinion and a right to voice it. Those who differ please list your choices and not just disagree with my choices.

DIEHARD 2017-10-04 12:05:59 

In reply to azadtnt

I love dat XI..Lil B for JMo ideally..but given Lil B's unavailability..and I also would have no issue with Hamilton for Ramdin..he was in fine form regionally...but he been jus home watching TV and short of cricket.so Ramdin's experience gives him an edge, but 6 may be too high for Ramdin.

Oh and i would play Blackwood at 6 over Ramdin, try Ambris with the gloves.

I would like to give JMo a go, but not at the expense of Blackwood..

Andy99 2017-10-04 12:07:17 

Madness this squad.

SirGarny 2017-10-04 13:40:24 

In reply to Wally-1

What do you have against Dowrich apart from him having a bad series..This youngster has the goods.

Goods? Where? Show us? cause me cyaaaaan seeeet!
cry cry

SirGarny 2017-10-04 13:42:59 

In reply to thefacts

Powell: 15 Tests and 29 innings, Not a single score of 50

Powell does have a couple of test centuries doesn't he?

wink confused confused

openning 2017-10-04 14:22:48 

In reply to thefacts

Kyle Hope: This is again, a passport based selection. How he keeps J Mo out of the side, beats me.

Thie same player who find it hard to be selected for a Barbados team, is the captain of the TTCB 4-day team.
Now thats funny

Andy99 2017-10-04 14:50:15 

In reply to openning

Captain of this team:

rinidad and Tobago Red Force
1. Kyle Hope (Captain)
2. Isaiah Rajah
3. Jeremy Solozano
4. Jyd Goolie
5. Nicholas Alexis
6. Anderson Phillip
7. Steven Katwaroo
8. Imran Khan
9. Yannic Cariah
10. Khary Pierre
11. Bryan Charles
12. Sheldon Cottrell
13. Marlon Richards

dayne 2017-10-04 21:26:22 

I do not understand the selection of the team, the conditions will be different in Zimbabwe than it was in England, why not another spinner, it looks like they are putting a lot of faith in Bishoo.

thefacts 2017-10-04 23:35:07 

In reply to SirGarny

THE FACTS

1. LAST 15 Tests and 29 innings -- Meaning he has gone so many matches/innings without a score of 50. Ofcourse, 1X50 vs Zimbabwe and all the BOOT LICKERS will pyss/kum in their drawers.

Had Powell been a Muddie, Tittie or Yardie, he would not have got half-the-chances he has been given.

Recent Examples.
Hetmyer, dropped after 2 tests.
Vishaul dropped after 2 tests
Johnson dropped after 9 tests.

Powell does have a couple of test centuries doesn't he?

2. Yup, he does. Last 2 came in the same test vs Bangladesh in Nov, 2012 (5 YEARS BACK)

3. Powell's Career Stats Summary -> Tests: 27, Avg: 26 -- Johnson, Hetmyer, Deonarine all got the boot for lesser failures. But no sir, BOOT LICKERS ARE ALWAYS SPECIAL.

4. For many years it was Devon Smith, who was the DOTTIE QUOTA PICK and now Keiran Powell.

THESE ARE THE FACTS. AND THEY ARE UNDISPUTED.

FUNNY AS FCUK

HA HA HA

Pacy 2017-10-05 05:29:10 

In reply to thefacts

That is going to be the biggest issue... Now a 50 by Powell / Dowrich and a 2-3 wicket haul by cummins is going to give them a trip to New Zealand. Clearly meaning that, inspite of losing we do not trying to fine tune the gaps.

thefacts 2017-10-05 05:50:21 

In reply to Pacy

why are we fooling ourselves... its so obvious how the "QUOTA" and "BOOT LICKING" criteria is being used for selection.

"Windies" team is a FARCE. Zero Accountability. Players are being picked without any performance criteria... In short, Its a personal club.

thefacts 2017-10-05 10:46:42 

In reply to Pacy

and to top it all ... for a tour to Zimbabwe, low-slow pitches where spinners have a big impact,.. NO SECOND SPINNER IN THE SIDE.

Instead we have Raymon Reifer, (RELATED TO LORD OF BOOT LICKERS (Floyd Reifer)) in the squad.

Raymon was a tourist in England and gets another paid vacation to Zimbabwe. By all odds, he will be on the flight to NZ too, as BOOT LICKERS will say, how can Raymon be dropped if he hasn't played... when the issue is why is he on the squad in the first place?

Would it not have been better to have a Permaul, Miller or Warricann as backup spinner?

Honestly, this ALL IS A FARCE.

There is no criteria for selection. Its a PERSONAL CLUB!

openning 2017-10-05 12:50:32 

In reply to thefacts

Raymon was a tourist in England and gets another paid vacation to Zimbabwe. By all odds, he will be on the flight to NZ too, as BOOT LICKERS will say, how can Raymon be dropped if he hasn't played... when the issue is why is he on the squad in the first place?

Thats a question you should put to the Guyana Amazon.
The same question you should put to the TTCB, re Kyle Hope

thefacts 2017-10-05 13:10:01 

In reply to openning

That question is solely the responsibility of the Selectors of West Indies to answer

Common sense that

But then, BOOT LICKERS not known for Common Sense

FUNNY AS FCUK

HA HA HA

openning 2017-10-05 13:50:29 

In reply to thefacts

It does take one Boot Licker to know other Boot Lickers.
So are you licking the players you want on the team, Boots?
BTW, Why is Ramdin not playing for TTCB, is that the Boot Lickers fault?

Priapus 2017-10-05 16:02:41 

In reply to CITYBOY

Courtney got a lot of guts

Actually that would be the bowling coach Roddy Estwick.

natty_forever 2017-10-05 16:38:09 

In reply to DIEHARD... I would love a wkt-keeper that can bat at 6.

dayne 2017-10-05 17:38:14 

In reply to thefacts

Selector Browne seem to be giving the Caribbean region the ' one finger salute ', by selecting players base on Nationality and not on merit or the need of the WI team. I could agree with the inclusion of Kyle Hope, he is there as the back up opener, but I cannot agree with the selection of Reifer, I still do not know how to classify him, I doubt Reifer could make the Barbados team on merit. Cummins also is becoming an iffy selection, he has gone on many tours now and does not seem to improve.

brians_da_best 2017-10-05 19:18:57 

I agree with the idea of an unchanged team. We did well in the tests and this team deserves to be persisted with for another couple of series, at least, as long as there is progress. The only addition could be Ambris, as an additional member, getting some time with the senior squad

thefacts 2017-10-05 22:16:30 

In reply to dayne

Selection of Powell, Reifer and Cummins is pure hungheap QUOTA and BOOT LICKING selection criteria!

And everyone saw Dowrich(s) keeping, yet the FARCE continues.

Pick Hamilton or Ambris, if Ramdin is untouchable

But THE DOTTIE QUOTA already full.

The most blatantly biased selection is that of Raymon Reifer

clokey 2017-10-06 01:23:26 

Funnily enough, I don't have a problem with the the squad and can completely understand why it's unchanged.

In an important series like this one, when you want to build on the gains made in England, consistency is important.

At Birmingham and Lords, these boys played for each other - the unity in the team was quite impressive. They genuinely like each other and seem to be focused on one goal.

Kyle Hope was unlucky on occasions (worst run out imaginable comes to mind) and not good enough against the best fast bowler in the world in wildly-swinging conditions on other occasions. I think it’s prudent to give him a crack at Zimbabwe to find out more about him. If he fails again, so be it.

I have seen Dorwich make some really classy and important runs prior to the English series, where he certainly disappointed both in front of and behind the stumps. He did smash a century in the trial match and will know that he needs to improve in both disciplines to make the flight to NZ. This is a good test of his character. Does he have it in him to buckle down and make himself undroppable by dominating in Zim?

Miguel Cummins is the one I have a little less time for. Nothing more than an honest cricketer that needs conditions firmly in his favour to make an impact. One would hope he’s just holding a place, being a sound professional while we wait for some of the kids to break through. If I had to drop anyone, it would be him, but I’m not opposed to putting him on the plane - but I’d like to see Joseph played ahead of him.

Powell batted well at Lords - to me, he looked like a man desperate to work on flaws being exposed in swinging conditions and made some gutsy runs on a surface that everyone struggled on. I think he has runs in him in Zim and think he deserves a last chance.

This tour is the PERFECT opportunity to find out more about this squad and what changes can be made ahead of the NZ tour. We know that Darren Bravo could be a key inclusion. We know that Ramdin and perhaps Ambris and hopefully Pooran could be knocking down Dorwich’s door soon. We know there are options building.

Let’s make those options work even harder to gain inclusion.

Other nations like Australia give struggling players a ‘live kill’ against weaker teams all the time - it’s a successful tactic when it comes to maintaining team unity, helping players they rate highly get back into form and forcing incumbents to work even harder to break into the side.

Should the Windies win the series 2-0, they will be 5 wins and 6 losses from their last 11 matches heading into NZ with a serious chance to climb the rankings for the first time since colour screens were introduced to TV.

Funnily enough, I’m really looking forward to seeing how these boys go. Zimbabwe will be taking this quite seriously and it won’t be a walk in the park.

Let's not go and burn down the selectors' house and claim selection conspiracy theories just yet. I think some consistency and more time playing together and learning one-another's game is a good thing.

thefacts 2017-10-06 02:04:17 

In reply to clokey

What about players who are not being picked? What about having a FAIR SELECTION CRITERIA based on performances?
The careers of the players who are being left out are impacted for life. Is it fair?

Imagine at your work place, you are never promoted or given good assignments, because the criteria is based solely on region (or any non-performance related criteria)

Its NO co-incidence that all the "questionable" selections are of Bajans and Dotties

Powell hasn't got a 50 in last 15 Tests.
So can we say from now on, when J Mo & Lewis get a chance, they should get 15 Tests minimum as Powell etc have Got... because earlier Johnson, Hety, Gaja, Deonarine (NON BOOT LICKERS) etc didn'get this kind of extended run which Bajans and Dotties are getting.

Dowrich can't keep properly, so can we say, the next WK will also be judged only by batting? and speaking of Batting, Dowrich is horribly out of form, and i frankly don't know what is he being selected for... apart from his passport.
So can we say the same relaxed selection criteria will be done for others?

and what about Raymon Reifer??? How does he keep a second spinner out of the squad?? whether its Permaul, Miller or anyone...

how does Raymon Reifer even qualify to be in the squad in the first place? WI have 2 all-rounders already in Chase and Cappo. And we have 5 seamers in Cappo, Roach, Gabriel, Cummins and Joseph. Then where does Raymon fit as a 3rd all-rounder or 6th seamer option shock ... and incredibly we don't have a second spinner option? THIS IS JUST PURE CRAP SELECTION!!!!!!

You Sir, are either NAIVE or a COMPLETE FRAUD.

Either ways, I don't have time for BOOT LICKERS.

FUNNY AS FCUK

HA HA HA

natty_forever 2017-10-06 07:47:17 

In reply to openning... why you bringing in club cricket into West Indies selection, like Kyle is the first FC bully. You whining.

natty_forever 2017-10-06 07:52:06 

In reply to clokey

This tour is the PERFECT opportunity to find out more about this squad and what changes can be made ahead of the NZ tour.
... disagree as NZ is ranked way higher than Zim, therefore, performances could be just fools gold. NZ test will more define who stays or who goes. I have suggestions on who should and who shouldn't, but will hold that thought for now.

mittheimp 2017-10-06 09:44:11 

There is just 1 warm up game then straight into the 2 tests - meanwhile an A team game is being played in the caribbean - therefore the squad makes some sense.

Hetmyre will bat at 3.... so what is the point of bringing in someone else to not play? They may as well play in the A team game.

Dowich is lucky to be retained but if they feel he really has the goods then keeping him for the Zim tour makes sense.

Joseph will be 4th choice seamer - anyone else added to the squad again will likely just sit.

thefacts 2017-10-06 10:04:17 

In reply to mittheimp

There is just 1 warm up game then straight into the 2 tests - meanwhile an A team game is being played in the caribbean - therefore the squad makes some sense.

anyone else added to the squad again will likely just sit.

By that logic, why bother picking 15.. just pick 12 or 13 players..
Esp. why pick Raymon Reifer and Miguel Cummins at all.

Let them go and play A-team cricket.

All you BOOT LICKERS make up your LOGIC just to SUIT YOUR AGENDA...

YOU DONT CARE ABOUT TRANSPARENCY OR ACCOUNTABILITY..

OR ANY PROCESS THAT GIVES EQUAL OPPORTUNITY TO ALL WITHOUT DISCRIMINATION

JUST KEEP PICKING YOUR OWN... AND KEEP LYING YOUR RASS ALL THE TIME>..

EPIC.

thefacts 2017-10-06 10:05:49 

Not ONE BOOT LICKER IS WILLING TO ADDRESS THIS:

So can we say from now on, when J Mo & Lewis get a chance, they should get 15 Tests minimum as Powell etc have Got... because earlier Johnson, Hety, Gaja, Deonarine (NON BOOT LICKERS) etc didn'get this kind of extended run which Bajans and Dotties are getting.

Can we have a new standard (which is same for everyone) from now on?

Every new batsmen must get 15 tests, irrespective of performance .. (like Powell, ZERO 50s in LAST 15 TESTS)

Every WK, will only be judged by batting average. (Like Dowrich, who everyone has seen can't keep)(and right now can't BAT)

Every new pacer will be allowed a minimum of 6 tests (Like Cummins, who has avg of 46)

---

Because now, Johnson must get 6 more tests. So should Gaja and Hetmyer get 13 more tests before Kyle Hope who has debuted after them...

Lets have the same standard... what say?

Andy99 2017-10-06 10:08:36 

Powell if the biggest failure there.
He has played how many matches, no sense playing him against a weak team to see if he comes good, this would be the time to play a younger player.
Only reason they could've possibly given Powell another go was if it was against a top team in their country and they wanted to protect our youth from a tough debut.

thefacts 2017-10-06 10:11:32 

In reply to Andy99

hey wanted to protect our youth from a tough debut.

COMPLETE JOKE.

There is something called "DOTTIE" quota.

Devon Smith used it for years. Now Keiron Powell.

Them Dotties been perfecting BOOT LICKING THE BAJANS.
SO MUCH SO THEM DONT KNOW WHERE THE BOOT ENDS AND THE RASS BEGINS.

FUNNY AS FCUK

HA HA HA

sgtdjones 2017-10-06 10:15:18 

In reply to thefacts

Now thats a T&T squad.

Lewis
Simmons
Bravo
Ramdin
Pollard
Pooran
Bravo
Narine
Emrit
Rampaul
Badree

Gabriel
JMo.

Look at this team that Andy posted that will play in a hurricane Charity match

World class

thefacts 2017-10-06 10:46:27 

In reply to sgtdjones

World class in ODIs and T20s yes.

I have been advocating that "GOING ALONE" post 2019 is the only way the "Future of our Children" who want to be international cricketers can be secured. Whether Yardie, Muddie or Tittie.

Because unless we decide to make our children boot lickers (like most Bajans and Dotties, which we wont), them have little chance of success under "WINDIES".

Saying it again, the bitter pill of GOING ALONE is the only remedy to safeguard the future of our (NON-BOOTLICKERS) children wrt cricket.

and the FUTURE is T20 and ODIs. There is no doubt about that....

thefacts 2017-10-06 10:53:54 

thefacts 2017-10-08 08:19:55 

RE-POST:::

Not ONE BOOT LICKER IS WILLING TO ADDRESS THIS:

Every new batsmen must get 15 tests, irrespective of performance .. (like Powell, ZERO 50s in LAST 15 TESTS)

Every WK, will only be judged by batting average. (Like Dowrich, who everyone has seen can't keep)(and right now can't BAT)

Every new pacer will be allowed a minimum of 6 tests (Like Cummins, who has avg of 46)

---

Because now, Johnson must get 6 more tests. So should Gaja and Hetmyer get 13 more tests before Kyle Hope who has debuted after them...

Lets have the same standard... what say?

---

CAN BETCHYA THAT NOT ONE BOOT LICKER IS WILLING TO HAVE THE SAME STANDARD FOR ALL!

CROOKS, SLIMES, LIARS ALL OF THEM

FUNNY AS FCUK

HA HA HA

tc1 2017-10-08 14:02:41 

In reply to thefacts

2.50 multiplier,

yes, let give Johnson, Chattergo0n, Chandrika, Singh, Permaul, Bess more test matches with a multiplier of 2.5

thefacts 2017-10-09 00:45:52 

In reply to tc1

There was a Simple Question my BL Brother (No Tricks):

A BS FREE Answer with Simply: Yes or NO, will suffice.

Thanks in Advance.

FUNNY AS FCUK

HA HA HA