The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

NOLA - TS Nate on route

pelon 2017-10-06 07:42:46 

Keep an eye on Nate,heavy rains in NOLA can bring life threatening flooding.

Just be safe, ready bro np

sgtdjones 2017-10-06 10:08:51 

In reply to pelon

Canadian Impact

In terms of an impact on Canada, remnants of Nate are expected to bring unsettled weather from the Great Lakes to the Maritimes Monday into Tuesday.

"Looks like remnants of Nate will skirt just south of the border with just clouds for southern Ontario and Quebec, though some showers could cross the border, especially for Niagara"

I am in transit to the East Coast Of Canada. Most of these storms

tend to visit Maritimes and Newfoundland, should be a great adventure
for the next 3 months.

Been told to watch out for a NorEaster, the last one was nasty with
hugh snowfalls.

Missed a snowfall in the Saskatchewan.

pelon 2017-10-06 10:39:36 

In reply to sgtdjones

PEI and Newfoundland are beautiful areas, you will be awed by vast landscapes of beauty. I lived in Canada for almost a decade. Toured all of the East. Halifax on route is a must stop. Vibrant Caribbean community too.

As for this system in the Gulf, it is of no "major threat" to Canada and based on it's path, it will dissipate by time it gets that far north. In Canada "Some showers" expected - nothing suggest otherwise.

pelon 2017-10-06 13:50:27 

UPDATE: NHC forecast has Nate directly over NOLA from early Sunday AM.

Nate is expected to have hurricane strength by then.

Expect flooding - prepare today.

np 2017-10-06 14:36:47 

In reply to pelon et al

I'm safe now my brother ... and plan to be safe during and after. As I often say I'm more than ready before the word GO. Keeping a key "eye" on this.
Setting up mi generator this afternoon for readiness in case of POWER losses.

Heavy rains expected - and knowing NO's bowl effect some places will flood. Mi deh a lil bit higher in Metaire about 10 miles away from NO.
The wind is a concern in this area with big rass trees!!

Will keep my peeps posted!! It is NICE and HOT here today ... fi mi kind of weather ... Cho Nate is just a facting nuisance in early October!! big grin big grin big grin

Chrissy 2017-10-06 14:37:24 

In reply to pelon

May be a high end Cat1 by landfall.

pelon 2017-10-06 14:52:10 

In reply to np

Good to hear bro - and even better to hear you are SET!

If dem rains pelt down unexpectedly and you need dry land smile - de door in GA always open.

@Chrissy: yup. No signs of rapid intensification like Maria did in Dominica - but both eyes pun dis.

Chrissy 2017-10-06 20:17:16 

In reply to pelon

Well it's moving fast but it's now 65mph with pressure dropping. A few folks are suggesting it could be stronger than projections.

The best part is that it is moving fast

mikesiva 2017-10-07 09:20:48 

In reply to Chrissy

At least 22 dead in Central America

np 2017-10-08 08:13:36 

We are good - no real issues with Nate in our area. NO dodged a small bullet!!!
Some other places of Louisiana in the lower Plaquemines (small islands out in the gulf) had issues -
Mississippi and Alabama coastal areas were worst hit.

pelon 2017-10-08 08:51:02 

In reply to np

We are good - no real issues with Nate in our area.

Good to hear u and even better that you had no issues!

As you say, it went more east. Currently Alabama has heavy rains in some parts.

sgtdjones 2017-10-08 11:25:38 

Issued at 10:07 Sunday 08 October 2017
Summary
The remnants of Nate likely to affect southern Ontario with some appreciable rain overnight into Monday.

Tropical Storm Nate, which is currently over Alabama, is weakening rapidly and travelling north to northeastwards. It is forecast to track just south of the Great Lakes tonight into Monday. However, the rain associated with this weakening system is likely to graze portions of the lower Great Lakes with several hours of rain. It should begin tonight for regions north of Lake Erie and north of Lake Ontario towards dawn or early Monday morning.

Total rainfall amounts of 20 to 30 mm are likely, with locally higher amounts of 40 mm possible. Rainfall warnings are possible for some areas if somewhat heavier rain is expected.

The rain will end from west to east on Monday.

###

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada.

pelon 2017-10-08 11:38:59 

In reply to sgtdjones

Rains between 20 - 40mm.(under 1.5")

Thanks for the update, the report seems to affirm that Nate is of no real threat flood wise to Canada. Winds also seem to be sub-tropical based on forecast for Canada.

Even better news: Nate was just downgraded from Tropical Storm to Tropical Depression.