The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Trump vs NFL

black 2017-10-10 11:58:34 

Is it a grudge match?

Is he still angry that the NFL rejected his USFL merger bid?

Tryangle 2017-10-10 12:10:50 

In reply to black

You don't even have to go back to the USFL days. Trump was looking into buying the Buffalo Bills not too long ago.

Some might suggest that they should have let him do it in retrospect so he would let his presidential dream be put on hold smile

But it doesn't appear to be even that complex. The line has been drawn with regard to the protestors, and the Trump administration has continued their efforts to intensify the divide and undermine the issue at hand.

black 2017-10-10 12:29:33 

In reply to Tryangle

Some might suggest that they should have let him do it in retrospect so he would let his presidential dream be put on hold

Damn!!! Could have saved us from the insanity.

Trump administration has continued their efforts to intensify the divide and undermine the issue at hand

True, he is trying to detract from his failures as President. I think it's a little of both ( holding a grudge and being an opportunist ).

Gun_Play 2017-10-10 13:04:44 

Smh... Anyone that claims kneeling for the anthem is disrespectful has another agenda.

No one never said anything about disrespecting the flag or American troops.

The knee is to protest police shootings of UNARMED black men.

But Trump and Co. are doing a good job of making it into another issue.

tc1 2017-10-10 13:12:48 

In reply to black

No love from u on the passing of the Hawk, Connie

What will happen when the WRs take a kneel in the next CB game.

Tryangle 2017-10-10 13:33:55 

Trump probably doesn't want the NFL to fail, he just wants to feed his rabid fan base and force the athletes to stand, hand on heart, all that jazz. Probably even declare an allegiance to Trump as a bonus.

He has "friends" who clearly supported his campaign like Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft, two of the more prominent team owners.

But like Gun_Play says, it's about redefining the issue as being anti-America. And it's worked. The narrative as far as most of white America is concerned, is that the guys hate the military and the vets.

It inspires memes like this one.

pelon 2017-10-10 13:42:24 

In reply to Tryangle

But like Gun_Play says, it's about redefining the issue as being anti-America. And it's worked. The narrative as far as most of white America is concerned, is that the guys hate the military and the vets.

Military in USA is the bedrock of the economy.

3 in 5 families are on Military benefits in the South

Just for being a "reservist" in the military brings a BOUNTY of uncle sam benefits
GOVERNMENT BROCHURE LINK Health, Loans, Money, Child Care, Rent money, Dental... on and on

This is a well kept secret 'prop' of the US economy, and they print millions, wage war every year to support it.

Tryangle 2017-10-10 13:47:57 

In reply to pelon

But meanwhile we see reports of how the VA has failed in taking care of war injured. I mean that should be a bigger public scandal, right?

Maybe the DoD spending on the NFL would be better served treating its soldiers.

Gonna be an interesting "Salute to Service" month in November.

pelon 2017-10-10 14:20:38 

In reply to Tryangle

But meanwhile we see reports of how the VA has failed in taking care of war injured.

Trump does not ACTUALLY give a rats ass about Vets. This is a fraudulent punt (NFL pun intended)

Trump has CALCULATED segments of the undeserved voter block that he could manipulate - in part due to the strategic 'How to get Trump Elected' plan of Bannon and others.

1. Vets
2. Police
3. Active Duty

These "voter markets" have been documented as being exploited politically, and Trump - a man who never previously gave a PENNY (personally to any of them before he became a politician) is now seen as a CHAMPION of that subset.

Amazing.

By throwing tax payer money and very vocal support of these sectors, Trump has wrapped up the greatest 'fake punt' coup in the last 50 years. (Also: He dodged the draft)

He's tapped/exploited the vets brilliantly. Very willing to spend (TAX DOLLARS) to keep them too.

nitro 2017-10-10 15:14:16 

In reply to black

Whatever the reason, he is correct. Cannot condone disrespecting our anthem, the flag and most of all our vets.

black 2017-10-10 16:00:20 

In reply to nitro

I respect your position on the flag but don't give me that bullshit about vets dying for the flag, that is done to drum up sympathy. There are injured vets from Iraq and Afghanistan that support the protesters. You can say, they fought for their right to protest.

black 2017-10-10 17:55:59 

In reply to pelon

3 in 5 families are on Military benefits in the South

Wow!!! That seems like an unusually high number.

pelon 2017-10-10 19:08:57 

In reply to black

Don't mistake 'military benefits' with primary income (vocation).... It's a hidden 'open secret'.

black 2017-10-10 19:20:42 

In reply to pelon

Well, I know that most of the large military bases are in the south and retirees and veterans health care are through the VA system but that still seems unusually large.

black 2017-10-10 19:38:37 

In reply to tc1

No love from u on the passing of the Hawk, Connie

What will happen when the WRs take a kneel in the next CB game.

A true legend of the game but I never actually saw him play, it's about 3 to 4 years before I really became interested in the game.

RIP

pelon 2017-10-10 19:51:02 

In reply to black

Large, but you are thinking of families like 4 people... no example: If your uncle served... you get deeply discounted auto insurance. You are thinking 'benefits' like welfare.

The number of people that are working in say Home Depot, and on "reserved duty" + benefits... is much much larger in the south than anywhere else.

Oh: and it's a certain demographic... maybe that's the part I'm missing excluding..

birdseye 2017-10-10 21:11:02 

In reply to pelon

You are hitting on all cylinders – only point missing is this flag thing is Trump’s new ‘birther issue’ ---- its still all about race --- check it out – Tom Brady did not go with the super-bowl winning Patriot to the white house ---- Trump hasent uttered a peep about it ---- Steph Curry says he wasent going with his NBA champ Golden state team ---- Trump went ballistic ----

What is so illogical about this is – in prayers the Christian get down on their knees – men proposing to their girl take a knee ----- somehow Trump is able to con people that kneeling is disrespectful ---- he is convincing those who wants to be convinced

Tryangle 2017-10-11 08:20:29 

In reply to birdseye

Maybe when Trump proposed to Melania, instead of going on bended knee he called her into the boardroom and offered her a job opportunity?

Larr Pullo 2017-10-11 11:49:22 

In reply to Tryangle

You don't even have to go back to the USFL days. Trump was looking into buying the Buffalo Bills not too long ago.

Don't know about that, coming out of the USFL fiasco Pete Rozelle said NEVER FUCKING EVER!!!!

Pete Rozelle saw right through that fucking transparent shyster!!!

Larr Pullo 2017-10-11 11:53:56 

USFL Owner threatened to punch Trump right in the mouth...in writing!!! lol lol lol lol lol

Tryangle 2017-10-11 11:57:22 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Fascinating article, this.

The Doug Flutie story, hilarious.

Larr Pullo 2017-10-11 11:59:02 

In reply to Tryangle

Trump has been pulling them old tricks for years now...

Cleg 2017-10-11 14:47:22 

guruincortland‏ @guruincortland Sep 24
More
Replying to @jeffpearlman
“We the People” support Donald Trump and thank the President for exposing rich, spoiled brat athletes for who they really are! Go America!

...guruincortland‏ aka nitro

... taking a break from cussing Obama! lol lol

mikesiva 2017-10-13 02:02:10 

In reply to nitro

I have no sympathy for the racist American national anthem

First off, the song, which was originally written as a poem, didn't become our national anthem until 1931 — which was 117 years after Key wrote it. Most of us have no true idea what in the hell we've been hearing or singing all these years, but as it turns out, Key's full poem actually has a third stanza which few of us have ever heard. In it, he openly celebrates the murder of slaves. Yes, really.

It goes like this:

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

While it has always been known that the song was written during American slavery and that when those words about this nation being the "land of the free" didn't apply to the millions who had been held in bondage, few of us had any idea that the song itself was rooted in the celebration of slavery and the murder of Africans in America, who were being hired by the British military to give them strength not only in the War of 1812, but in the Battle of Fort McHenry of 1814. These black men were called the Corps of Colonial Marines and they served valiantly for the British military. Key despised them. He was glad to see them experience terror and death in war — to the point that he wrote a poem about it. That poem is now our national anthem.

While I fundamentally reject the notion that anyone who owned other human beings was either good, moral, or decent, Francis Scott Key left absolutely no doubt that he was a stone cold bigot. He came from generations of plantation owning bigots. They got wealthy off of it. Key, as District Attorney of Washington, fought for slavery and against abolitionists every chance he got. Even when Africans in D.C. were injured or murdered, he stood strong against justice for them. He openly spoke racist words against Africans in America. Key said that they were "a distinct and inferior race of people, which all experience proves to be the greatest evil that afflicts a community."

While San Francisco 49ers quarter back Colin Kaepernick has refused to stand for the national anthem because of the overflowing abundance of modern day injustice in America, he has helped bring to light the fact that this song and its author are deeply rooted in violent white supremacy.

I will never stand for "The Star-Spangled Banner" another day in my damn life. I don't care where I am or who's watching. The statue of the racist Cecil Rhodes, which stood tall in South Africa as a painful relic from white supremacists until March of 2015, was finally removed once and for all. It should've never been erected. It should've been removed a very long time ago, student leaders made it clear that they had had enough.

Like Kaepernick, I've had enough of injustice in America and I've had enough of anthems written by bigots. Colin Kaepernick has provided a spark.

"The Star-Spangled Banner" should've never been made into our national anthem. That President Woodrow Wilson, widely thought to be one of the most bigoted presidents ever elected, chose it as our national anthem, is painfully telling as well. We must do away with it like South Africans did away with their monument to Cecil Rhodes. We must do away with it like South Carolina did with the Confederate Flag over their state house.

nitro 2017-10-13 06:24:18 

In reply to mikesiva

That is why i like this site. I learn a lot from people like you and pelon.

Biased most of the times but you give reasons for it.

black 2017-10-13 07:29:57 

In reply to mikesiva

Very insightful stuff.

These were the same people that were murdering blacks and going to church on Sundays.

birdseye 2017-10-13 08:38:14 

In reply to mikesiva

I will never stand for "The Star-Spangled Banner" another day in my damn life. I don't care where I am or who's watching. The statue of the racist Cecil Rhodes, which stood tall in South Africa as a painful relic from white supremacists until March of 2015, was finally removed once and for all.

Meanwhile Cecil Rhodes statue to remain at Oxford after 'overwhelming support'
And the Rhodes Scholarship is still one of the most revered

“The absurd has meaning only in so far as it is not agreed to.” — Albert Camus.

Tryangle 2017-10-13 09:28:24 

It is odd that a country like the US would adopt essentially a war song, as its national anthem.

I thought this long ago, even before I knew about the third verse. Germany's anthem is about German pride and unity. England's one is about loving their monarch.

The American one is about blowing stuff up. And a plucky little flag hanging in the midst of the bomb bursts.

black 2017-10-13 12:49:22 

In reply to Tryangle

I thought this long ago, even before I knew about the third verse. Germany's anthem is about German pride and unity.

Was that after Hitler?

The American one is about blowing stuff up. And a plucky little flag hanging in the midst of the bomb bursts.

Arrogance disguised as patriotism.

Tryangle 2017-10-13 13:12:19 

Was that after Hitler?

Fair question, I don't have the answer to that.

SnoopDog 2017-10-13 14:34:40 

In reply to black

Arrogance disguised as patriotism.

I think it's only fitting that the Murican anthem was penned during a war and is about war and destruction.

Any reference to peace or harmony in that song would sound...well kinda weird. lol

black 2017-10-13 14:37:48 

In reply to SnoopDog

Any reference to peace or harmony in that song would sound...well kinda weird.

Boy, don't make me laugh. lol

SnoopDog 2017-10-13 14:39:06 

In reply to black

Boy, don't make me laugh.

It's Friday Bro!!! big grin