The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Dominica

NineMiles 2017-10-18 14:48:38 

They just showed the devastation on Channel 4 News.

The place is in a total mess

Unlike most other Caribbean islands devastated by hurricanes recently, Dominica is an independent country and cannot hope for aid to pour in from a wealthy parent nation overseas.

The UN Secretary General has called for a $31 million fund to help rebuild the island.

Chrissy 2017-10-18 19:54:36 

In reply to NineMiles

It is really bad. Caribbean folks are helping but it will take massive unputs from the UN.

crapaud 2017-10-19 09:43:24 

I was really proud to see that little girl so articulate on the program. I hope the hopelessness that grips for months after a bad hurricane while you adjust to no electricity, and for her age things like no internet, and maybe no school for a while and all the other things you take for granted does not hinder her progress in life.

crapaud 2017-10-19 09:45:02 

Endless Thanks to all the people in the Caribbean and around the world who helped our people. There was a nice long read on cricinfo detailing the help the cricket community gave which was really heart warming.

NineMiles 2017-10-19 11:12:23 

In reply to crapaud

I was really proud to see that little girl so articulate on the program.

Yeah, she's very articulate and hope she grows into a lovely young lady contributing to your community. I smiled just listening to her!

sgtdjones 2017-10-19 12:33:16 

Mother and son reunited in Dominica

Channel 4

BenGman 2017-10-19 15:47:41 

In reply to sgtdjones

Thanks for the link!

mikesiva 2017-11-04 15:21:57 

In reply to crapaud

I am at a fundraiser in Milton Keynes staged by Friends of the Caribbean. I met an elderly lady from Dominica who is a returning resident who survived hurricane maria. Like so many in Dominica she lost her roof. She now has water at her home but they don't expect electricity back until about February!
shock
She said the death toll is 27 officially but some are still missing.

NineMiles 2017-11-04 17:47:33 

In reply to mikesiva

Those Milton Keynes Caribbean folks are good peeps. I remember going there to watch a charity cricket match in honour of Winston Davis back in 2002/03.

POINT 2017-11-04 21:09:57 

In reply to sgtdjones

Thanks for the Video . I would like to know how much Money did the American Government give ; I do not recall reading or hearing that the USA gave the Dominica Government Financial Aid .

It was commendable that Countries in the Region that were not hit donated
Aid to Dominica , and also the British Virgin Islands .

A Barge went to both Dominica & the BVI with Food Stuff from SVG . The barge was originally going to the BVI
after Irma , but had to turn back to SVG when Maria showed up . It finally
reached Dominica & the BVI after Maria left the Region .