The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Gayle?s day in Oz Court

Halliwell 2017-10-23 16:42:48 

Wow
Very eventful if I go from what Twitter reports! shock

Narper 2017-10-23 16:51:30 

The barrister representing Mr Gayle, Bruce McClintock SC, told the jury the allegation published in January 2016 was "completely false".

Mr McClintock said the journalist at The Age who wrote the article alleging Mr Gayle exposed himself knew Ms McLaughlin.

"They intended to blacken his name … They wanted to destroy him," he said.

"They knew what they were doing. It was a vicious and savage and false attack.

"He comes to court to prove to you and the whole world the allegation is wrong. It's false. He will tell you that the incident never happened."

McClintock: Did you expose yourself to Leanne Russell?
Gayle: No I didn't.
McClintock: Did that incident ever happen?
Gayle: It never happened.
McClintock: Did you say to her as you exposed yourself: 'Are you looking for this?'
Gayle: Never.

Justice Lucy McCallum said the matter should conclude within two weeks.

natty_forever 2017-10-23 17:29:08 

Jamaicans don't sue ... sykes!

Khaga 2017-10-23 19:59:22 

World Boss in Kangaroo court!

Narper 2017-10-25 16:18:29 

A series of newspaper reports in The Age, the Sydney Morning Herald and the Canberra Times revealed her claim the player had lowered his towel in a dressing room at Drummoyne Oval in February 2015 and said "Are you looking for this?".

More
"[Gayle] said: 'What are you looking for'. I said: 'A towel.' He said 'Are you looking for this?'"

Ms Russell said Gayle then "moved the towel out and down".

"I saw the top half of Chris's penis and thereafter shielded my view and left the room."

The incident was over in under 10 seconds, she told the court.

"I was very upset. I was crying up there and I was alone for some time … I was crying uncontrollably. I was crying like a child."

"I was upset because of what Chris had done.

"Jokes of that nature meant nothing to him but upset me greatly."

Narper 2017-10-25 16:22:36 

Gayle, 38, has sued Fairfax Media over a series of articles the organisation published between January 5 and 9 last year detailing the encounter. He is seeking damages, aggravated damages and special damages over the articles, and denies he exposed himself. His teammate, former West Indies player Dwayne Smith, also denied the exchange.

link

Narper 2017-10-25 16:28:39 

Dwayne Smith accused of lying at Chris Gayle defamation trial

Link
Smith agreed he was in the changing room and saw Russell but denied he saw Gayle pull up his towel and expose his penis. He also said he did not hear Gayle ask Russell “Is this what you are looking for” when she entered the change room and said she was looking for a towel.

“That did not happen,” Smith said. “That is something I would remember if it happened.”

powen001 2017-10-25 16:32:12 

hope he sues the pants off of them...pardon the pun big grin

jen 2017-10-25 16:44:26 

Well I ain't gonna swear for Gayle, but the lady case seems weak. One minute she said she came in for a sandwich, then when Gayle asked her what she looking for, she say a towel? shock

tc1 2017-10-25 17:19:54 

Smithy looks like he ain't miss a meal in 1/2 hour

Narper 2017-10-26 15:51:12 

Chris Gayle scared around women since claim he exposed himself, court told

‘He always feels someone is out to get him,’ professional cricket coach and close friend of the West Indies cricketer says

Link

openning 2017-10-26 15:57:52 

In reply to Narper

He said her version was supported by a February 2015 email sent by team manager Sir Richie Richardson to players referring to Russell being put in a “few uncomfortable situations” and reminding them to treat her with respect.

Why would Richie send that email out?
Richie Richardson, should had been called to the stand.

Outswinger 2017-10-26 16:09:50 

I have no idea, but a couple of questions:

If she did say that she wanted to get a sandwich, what kind of sandwich can you get in a dressing room? She is not a player and would not ordinarily have a locker there right?

Also, if it was a towel she was after, what was the reason for the towel and are journalists allowed to take/borrow towels from the players' dressing rooms?

That said, Gayle already showed people his behaviour so who knows? This one DID blush.

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-10-26 18:49:58 

In reply to Outswinger

She's not a journalist but the team masseuse

camos 2017-10-26 19:18:48 

It appears that even though she works with the team, people were surprised to find her in the dressing room at that time? why would she need to explain her reason for being there at that time?

Outswinger 2017-10-26 19:19:51 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

I stand corrected. Thanks.

Narper 2017-10-26 19:47:44 

In reply to openning

Why would Richie send that email out?
Richie Richardson, should had been called to the stand.

Exactly what I thought.

camos 2017-10-26 20:01:55 

In reply to Narper

If you are the manager you need to make a statement,even if you think it may not be true.

Judgement 2017-10-26 20:06:37 

In reply to camos

Exactly. Well said mate. She was part of the team and was allowed in the dressing room and yes they serve food in the dressing rooms so what was wrong with her being there? The onus is on the players to act respectfully towards ALL members of staff, regardless of gender.

Narper 2017-10-26 20:06:49 

In reply to camos

"I was very upset. I was crying up there and I was alone for some time … I was crying uncontrollably. I was crying like a child."

"I was upset because of what Chris had done.

"Jokes of that nature meant nothing to him but upset me greatly."

I would NEVER condone what the woman is alleging....I have two grown daughters who are professionals...one is a registered nurse

But the above quote.... I can't understand.
Your job as a masseuse with sportsmen obviously you would see a penis or two...or being exposed to a crude joke or two...but to break down to that extent...obviously you are wildly exaggerating..you want to challenge what you are alleging...why go to the newpapers

An obviously if Gayle did pull spontaneously pull up his towel it's unlikely his bat was erect....

In my opinion the newspaper was out to make money off Worl Boss...and exploited the naive woman

Judgement 2017-10-26 20:12:05 

In reply to Narper

Your job as a masseuse with sportsmen obviously you would see a penis or two...or being exposed to a crude joke or two

She wasn't crying because she saw a big black penis. She was crying because it had been one of various incidents she had had to endure at the hands of the players and she had already reported these to Richie and she expected better from the guys. Why should she be targeted and harassed because she is a female member of the team?

An obviously if Gayle did pull spontaneously pull up his towel it's unlikely his bat was erect.

Why on earth does it matter whether he was erect or not? He was sexually inappropriate towards her. Do you go around showing your penis to women at your place of work? What if a man did that to your daughters? Would you laugh it off because the man's penis wasn't erect? Outrageous logic!

Judgement 2017-10-26 20:13:42 

In reply to camos

Yeah, i'm surprised Richie has not been called as a witness yet but counsel have obviously presented the email to the court as part of Fairfax's affidavit.

Narper 2017-10-26 20:16:22 

In reply to Judgement

Why on earth does it matter whether he was erect or not? He was sexually inappropriate towards her. Do you go around showing your penis to women at your place of work? What if a man did that to your daughters? Would you laugh it off because the man's penis wasn't erect? Outrageous logic!

Did you read my entire post????
Did you understand the context of my post?

Do you go around showing your penis to women at your place of work? What if a man did that to your daughters? Would you laugh it off because the man's penis wasn't erect?
Are you STUPID?????
Good thing I have been on this board long enough to develop some tolerance for dumbasses

Judgement 2017-10-26 20:20:52 

In reply to Narper

Your job as a masseuse with sportsmen obviously you would see a penis or two...or being exposed to a crude joke or two...but to break down to that extent...obviously you are wildly exaggerating..you want to challenge what you are alleging...why go to the newpapers

You type something so vile such as the above and then have the audacity to ask if i am the stupid one? Your poor daughters!

openning 2017-10-26 20:20:53 

In reply to Narper

I would NEVER condone what the woman is alleging....I have two grown daughters who are professionals...one is a registered nurse

I have one, who is stronger than I am
I don't know the facts, by Richie's memo to the players caught my eyes, having been a juror in a sexual case, where the girl was a prostitute, and I like some of the guys on this mb before the trial, had no respect for her
He was sentence to 12 years, having committed crimes across Canada.

Narper 2017-10-26 20:42:11 

In reply to openning

As a senior member of staff at my institute for over 20 years I have been involved in numerous inquiries of sexual harassment....I absolutely do not jump to conclusions...I look at the facts....and CONTEXT is absolutely important....and when you pose questions based on CONTEXT.....the real facts comes out....not alternative facts...and obviously i do not know all the fact in the gayle's case

BTW....at no time did I say Gayle was innocent...what I did say is I believe the lady was exaggerating her reaction to allegedly seeing a dead penis.....based on the nature of her job

And if she felt so strongly....why didn't she take Gayle to court...why did she SELL her story to the newspapers?

openning 2017-10-26 20:52:55 

In reply to Narper
As I wrote earlier, the only thing that caught my eyes, is Richie's memo to the players.
I would not go into her respond to seeing Gayle naked.
If ten people saw me walking across the street, you may hear ten difference ways to my walking, and to the traffic.

BTW....at no time did I say Gayle was innocent...what I did say the lady was exaggerating her reaction to allegedly seeing a dead penis.

Bro, you know thats speculation and your opinion

Judgement 2017-10-26 20:53:08 

For the imbecile on here that believes the female member of staff SOLD her story to the Press.

Saltau said she was contacted over Facebook by Ms Russell the day after Gayle’s infamous sideline TV interview with sports journalist Mel McLaughlin during which he told the reporter, “don’t blush baby”.

She said Ms Russell told her the interview made her “feel physically sick,” because she had also been made to feel “embarrassed and uncomfortable” in her job working in sport.

“Her frustration is that it was Mel McLaughlin who would have to carry that through her career while Chris Gayle will get to continue being a hero,” Saltau said.

“She wasn’t going to do herself any favours by going public with an allegation such as this one and the catalyst for her coming forward was the Mel McLaughlin interview. I felt very confident that what she told me was true, I believed her.”

Saltau said after interviewing Ms Russell she rang Gayle’s manager Simon Auteri who tried to persuade her not to run the story.

Narper 2017-10-26 20:58:05 

In reply to openning

Bro, you know thats speculation and your opinion

Obviously it's my opinion...and I may be wrong...but I voiced my opinion based on the lady's profession as a masseuse working with sportsmen...a masseuse don't work always with fully clothed men

Can you categorically say I am wrong?

openning 2017-10-26 21:04:11 

In reply to Narper

Can you categorically say I am wrong?

Again that would be pure speculation, I leave that up to MB.
As I stated the only thing that caught my eyes, is the email, by Richie to the players
That to me is damaging, I would like to hear the lawyers on this MB, defend that memo.

CricketLuva4 2017-10-26 21:07:37 

In reply to Outswinger

what kind of sandwich can you get in a dressing room?

A c#ckmeat sandwich apparently....

Too soon? Okay sorry....

Judgement 2017-10-26 21:12:32 

In reply to openning

Well said. She also confided in the New Zealand team's masseuse (also a female) when the incident occurred. That masseuse has been called as a witness for Fairfax. I wonder if CJ and Richie will take the stand.

tc1 2017-10-26 21:14:39 

In reply to Judgement

embarrassed and uncomfortable” in her job working in sport

the above is key to me, every year we have to go to a training on sexual harassment and the presenter who usually is a young white female attorney in her late 20- early 30 hot an ever say if the person feels 'embarrassed and uncomfortable in her job by your actions--- 'it's sexual harassment' in the workplace.

We have lost about 6 colleagues in 3 years on this issues, it's tough.

The problem that I see, is that racial discrimination is wiped under the rug and lost as a result of white women rights

Narper 2017-10-26 21:20:32 

In reply to openning

As I stated the only thing that caught my eyes, is the email, by Richie to the players

Personally I do not see that as a big deal.
As a manager it would have been his duty to pull up his charges...and caution them....for their own good in the future....dat does not necessarily mean they were breaking the law...

Judgement 2017-10-26 21:35:20 

In reply to tc1

I completely agree in that if you raise a potential racial discrimination incident you are seen as bringing up the "race card" as if you are somehow being difficult or predictable, which is outrageous logic. This is especially a massive issue in the US and UK where white men consistently look to keep black men from achieving above them and if such a connotation is suggested then you are automatically bringing up the race card (why shouldn't you if that is what is happening?!).

I know of an incident where a current West Indies player from this team was blatantly called the "n" word by a white Macy's Supervisor in the US last year. When things like that happen our first reaction is "why didn't he take it further" or "why didn't he go to the media" and i personally think the player should have because that should never have been tolerated.

On a similar note, women in general do still suffer significant discrimination in the corporate sector on pay grade, promotions, sexual harassment etc and it is often difficult for them to speak out against powerful men so kudos to Ms Russell, i think she did the right thing even though it would have taken some courage and she only spoke out after she saw him make Mel McLaughlin feel similarly uncomfortable.

openning 2017-10-26 21:42:35 

In reply to Narper
As a juror, I would be listening to the lawyers as to why and when the memo was written.
Cross examining Richie, would had brought more light to the memo. Note, I am staying away from anything said by Ms Russell or Gayle, and would be focusing on Smith's testimony, Ritchie;s memo and other people that can confirmed he statement.
Apart Smith, was they any other persons in the room? Did Dwayne or other players, send any text messages to her.
Their maybe other things that are part of the evidence, that the jurors will see, if allowed, that the public is unaware of.

We can all have our own little court, which is okay
BTW, can don't bluss be used as evidence, to the character of Chris?

Narper 2017-10-30 07:17:12 

Chris Gayle wins defamation case in Australia

Chris Gayle prevailed in his defamation case against Fairfax Media, after a four-person jury in the New South Wales Supreme Court found that there was insufficient evidence to prove he exposed himself to a massage therapist in a Sydney dressing room during the 2015 World Cup.

Link

camos 2017-10-30 07:57:44 

In reply to openning

BTW, can don't bluss be used as evidence, to the character of Chris?

most judges won't allow that,that is why jury selection often takes longer than the trial.

mikesiva 2017-10-30 08:10:36 

In reply to Narper

Some folks on here jumped to conclusions on the basis of Oz journalistic reporting....
cool
Folks need to realise that this form of journalism doesn't present the full facts of the case.

positiveg 2017-10-30 08:32:24 

In reply to mikesiva

Hence why Gayle won,
and they say they will appeal, and I'm pretty sure not so much on behalf of Ms. Russell, but just as a way to show them as being more credible
they realise by losing this case, their reputation took a big hit

Halliwell 2017-10-30 17:49:09 

In reply to mikesiva

Nuff people vex with this outcome lol

powen001 2017-10-30 17:52:24 

In reply to Narper

Attorney RALPH THORNE will be on MASON tomorrow on this ...

I will do my darnest to start a wagon and tune in