The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

CWI appoints Warne as new Director of Commerciial...

Courtesy 2017-10-25 17:12:30 

...Marketing and Communications.

Link

Walco 2017-10-25 18:02:27 

In reply to Courtesy

Dave has been doing a few things recently that give me pause. There may still be hope for the guy ...

Courtesy 2017-10-25 18:19:40 

In reply to Walco

The organisation has certainly gotten more professionalized but a lot flatter at the top. But as anything else, I would like to see a CBA (Cost Benefit Analysis) before venturing a comment on the soundness or viability of the new appointment.

Walco 2017-10-25 18:24:00 

In reply to Courtesy

I’m hearing that the board is profitable and CWI will be issuing white ball and red ball retainer contracts to the players for the first time beginning this year.

Courtesy 2017-10-25 18:26:07 

In reply to Walco

I think it's a step in the right direction...more players to eat a food and it's in keeping with international trends.

positiveg 2017-10-25 19:08:01 

In reply to Courtesy

Nice to see.
Hoping to see more marketing and branding initiatives take place. Like proper marketing of not only the senior team but the regional games. It begins with sponsorship. Hoping they can garner some sponsorship even midway through the 4 day tournament.
But even by doing that if they aren’t able to provide adequate scores update and whether audio or video of the matches all the marketing will be gone for a duck.

Courtesy 2017-10-25 19:10:44 

In reply to positiveg

Marketing yes...but product development should take centre stage. The brand as it stands has limited commercial value.

positiveg 2017-10-25 19:17:16 

In reply to Courtesy

Cool got you. Well let’s hope they do try developing the brand.
But persons must be able to see what they buying.

I think a good start in the brand development area was getting a skit supplier that’s able to market the kit and accessories. So far BLK has developed and has available many products which persons can buy. Imagine not only being able to buy the on field training kits but also the hooded sweaters etc. So a good step in the right direction. Of persons can see players wearing the product and knowing they too can purchase them I think this is good.
Now if the team wins a few games this would put the products and the brand in high demand.

natty_forever 2017-10-25 21:04:49 

In reply to positiveg...the team has been winning a few games.

positiveg 2017-10-25 21:38:59 

In reply to natty_forever

true, so the brand image is getting positive exposure

Emir 2017-10-26 06:45:37 

Marketing is a broad terms that involves Product, Pricing and Promotion and we all know what Communications is.

Me think this bloke is hired more for the Promotion and Communications aspect, as he isn't qualified for the product part.

The WICBC needs to be transparent and publish salaries of their "executives," the same as they do for the players.

In addition, with this new hire, they now shed an existing position to buttress budgetary constrains.

Drapsey 2017-10-26 06:56:09 

In reply to Emir

In addition, with this new hire, they now shed an existing position to buttress budgetary constrains.

I like this one.

The position of President comes to mind. That would be a fool-proof method to get rid of the BIG IDIOT.

Bestian 2017-10-26 11:28:02 

With the appointment of Johnny Graves, look for more and more expats to come on board.

bobby 2017-10-26 13:02:19 

In reply to Courtesy
Where is he from? Who has he replaced? Is this a new position?

POINT 2017-10-26 20:26:54 

Let Me Remind all & Sundry , the most important component in all this is :

THE PRODUCT & THAT PRODUCT

COLLECTIVELY IS THE COMPETITIVENESS

OF OUR PLAYERS IN THE INTERNATIONAL

CRICKET ARENA .

Marketing & Communications Pale in
significance to having Our Players
fully competitive in the International Cricket Arena .

This Freaking fact is lost on the Big Idiots who are in the governance of
Cricket in the Region .I seriously doubt that Anyone can dispute this .

If Our Players were fully competitive
Their performances would bring thousands of People to see them Play .
I would like those who dispute my assertion to state in this Post the
current position of Our Teams in the
longer versions of the Game .

I will insist that the Competitiveness of Our Players & Team
MUST BE the Primary Focus of the
WICBC/CWI .

Simultaneously there MUST BE a complete Restructuring of Cricket in the Region . WE must resurrect the
salient features of all those Reports
that were flippantly discarded .

openning 2017-10-26 20:41:50 

In reply to POINT

Every sport needs fans, but what is the percentage input from gate receipts to media contracts?
Point if you take your grand children to a basketball game, Footbal game or most sports, it may cost you over 3-500 dollars, thats by buying the team's gear, it is not the same as going to any game in the region.
Thats why you need marketing people, even these regional games , fans should be able to buy, team's uniform
The Invisible man has a jersey with his name a number on it, having played in the regional 50 ovrs and CPL, every game these players are in, fans should be able to purchase them.
But Television revenue may be 75% of gross intake.

POINT 2017-10-26 23:40:00 

In reply to openning

Have You heard of People from different Countries buying Caps & memorabilia of Teams that are at or near the bottom of International Cricket ?????

I have never heard or seen that happening , if You have ; I would like you to inform me .

I will always insist that Success in everything hinges on having a very
competitive Product . In essence
Competitiveness is the engine that drives all other aspects or components to ultimately be Successful .

IN A NUTSHELL COMPETITIVENESS BREEDS

SUCCESS ; AND SUCCESS GUARANTEES &

MAKES TEAMS SUCCESSFUL ON THE FIELD

BRINGS PEOPLE TO LOOK AT MATCHES &

THE ABILITY TO SELL & MARKET THE

TEAM TO THE PUBLIC & ALSO SELL ITS

ANCILLARY PRODUCTS .

I seriously doubt that You or anyone
can dispute this fact . The main theme of most of what I write & have written in this Forum and have always stressed is COMPETITIVENESS .

If Our Players are still stuck where they currently are at or near the bottom of International Cricket , it will not matter who is brought in to
deal with Merchandising etc . People
aint going to buy merchandise , regardless of how Great a Salesman that is hired is .

POINT 2017-10-26 23:55:55 

In reply to openning

Now that aint Rocket Science , it is simple Common Sense . Why the Hell would people come through the Turnstiles if Our Players are not fully competitive ?????

PEOPLE GRAVITATE TOWARDS WINNERS NOT

LOSERS . OBVIOUSLY HAVING A WINNING

TEAM SELLS TICKETS & ALSO MERCHANDISE

The very fact that for years those in the WICBC/CWI have refused to recognize or acknowledge this fact ,
tangibly demonstrates what I have been saying for many years here .

THEY ALL MUST BE FIRED , BECAUSE THIS

IS ELEMENTARY STUFF NOT ROCKET

SCIENCE .

Doing the same thing continuously
with the Hope & Expectation that You will get a different outcome IS THE ESSENCE OF INSANITY .

So the very first thing that must be on the Agenda is to PUT IN PLACE everything that must be done ; to ensure that ALL Our Players are fully
Competitive In the International Cricket Arena .

PEOPLE GENERALLY GRAVITATE TO WINNERS

THEY DO NOT GRAVITATE TOWARDS LOSERS.

Larr Pullo 2017-10-27 02:38:22 

In reply to POINT

Any possibility of a positive message coming out of CWI central sends you off the deep end...well not exactly off because you wallow in the deep end....but you get what am saying.... lol lol lol

positiveg 2017-10-27 10:30:11 

In reply to Larr Pullo

lol lol

mikesiva 2017-10-27 10:44:09 

In reply to Courtesy

If by marketing, Warne is going to try to get more fans in through the turnstyles to watch Test cricket, well that ship has already sailed. I wish him luck, but he's flogging a dead horse.

Kay 2017-10-27 13:22:18 

In reply to POINT

tangibly demonstrates what I have been saying for many years here

Well stop saying it nuh!!! We here heard you in the first year and those in the governance of cricket don't really care what you have to say....

openning 2017-10-27 19:12:27 

In reply to POINT

Have You heard of People from different Countries buying Caps & memorabilia of Teams that are at or near the bottom of International Cricket ?????

The Toronto, New York Jets fans on the Mb can answer that question for you.
You live in a state with a number of Sports team, when last has any of the teams win championships? yet fan buy products
Man, I doubt you has ever gotten off your couch and pay to watch a game.
Point, I have WICB Digi colors, I used to buy them at Cave Shepherds, now I get the at the legends of Barbardos.
BTW, I have over ten Legends of Barbados shirt, which I wear when golfing, I've seen guys with different 50 ovrs colors.
Once you are a fan, you will support the sport
My Niece moved back to Barbados almost 10 years ago, and each year she return to be with her family, she leaves with a Flames and Stampeder jersey.
The Flames has one only one Stanley Cup, and is sold out, almost every game.

tc1 2017-10-27 19:31:45 

Now the POINT is a marketing guru

POINT 2017-10-27 20:53:54 

In reply to mikesiva

I find it very interesting that Some here have a different perspective from the one we both share .

They , in my opinion fail to understand that Collectively the Population of the Region , is miniscule , in comparison say New York , or any big Country .

That being the case , it is very Critical , in my opinion , that in West Indies Cricket it is imperative
that COMPETITIVENESS is not only essential , it is the Engine that ALL
other things relating to Cricket Revolve .

So hiring some hot shot to deal with
Marketing & Merchandising , when the
Competitiveness & Standing of Our Players & Team is at or near the bottom , in International Cricket is
not in my opinion a Good Move .

POINT 2017-10-27 21:04:30 

In reply to tc1

I am not or have I ever claim to be a
Marketing Guru . However my perspective is as I have stated , is that the most important Cog in this wheel is the Competitiveness of
our Players .

I have asked and have had no answer from my Critics is this :

IN THE LONGER VERSIONS OF THE GAME

WHERE IS THE STANDING OF OUR TEAM ;

IS IT IN THE FIRST HALF OF

INTERNATIONAL TEAMS OR THE LAST HALF

????? .

openning 2017-10-27 22:05:57 

In reply to POINT

Point if the Merchandise is available fans will buy them, that plain and simple.
Four games are being played in the region, and I can assure you, in order to buy a Jersey of any of the teams, you may have to go down town, to a store.
The same way you are able to buy food and drinks, you and your Grandchildren, should be able to buy merchandise
Man, I even bought a couple of CC shirts, with my name of them, I am quite sure some CC fans believe it is me, when they see a guy wearing a shirt with Openning on it, in Bim.

Emir 2017-10-28 07:52:52 

In reply to POINT

So hiring some hot shot to deal with
Marketing & Merchandising , when the
Competitiveness & Standing of Our Players & Team is at or near the bottom , in International Cricket is
not in my opinion a Good Move .

Exactly.
Marketing is a broad term, which include product development, pricing and promotion, but this lad cannot improve our product, to improve our product, we must first remove the thing that ails it, and that thing is the WICBC.

sgtdjones 2017-10-28 09:29:01 

This is another area of weakness at WICB/CWI

They still don't know how to market West Indies Cricket.

POINT 2017-10-28 15:25:02 

In reply to sgtdjones

I will always insist that the Product , the Competitiveness of our Players &
Team is the most important factor , regarding merchandising the Brand .

Many here prefer to skirt that freaking fact , and delve instead into sideshows , in a vain effort to try evading the Truth .

The Question is this ; Why are My Critics in this Forum refused to state the current Standing of Our Team in the longer versions of the Game ????

The current standing of our Teams in the longer versions of the Game aint
a Secret , it is very well known in
International Cricket .

They however prefer bobbing & weaving as if they are in a Boxing Ring . They refuse to acknowledge a very basic Fact .

PEOPLE GRAVITATE TO WINNERS ; THOSE

AT THE TOP ; NOT TOWARDS THOSE AT OR

NEAR THE BOTTOM .

They relish delving in Obfuscation ,
because their perspective has absolutely no iota of Truth . That being the case ,they prefer to stick with their asinine opinions .

openning 2017-10-28 15:46:16 

In reply to POINT

I will always insist that the Product , the Competitiveness of our Players &
Team is the most important factor , regarding merchandising the Brand .

Product is only one of the three P's.
If you had taken a beginning course in marketing, you would know the other two, Place and Promotion.
You can always improve the product, while you promote.
BTW, left out the fourth P, which is Price.

So Product, Place, Price and Promotion are all important.

positiveg 2017-10-28 16:28:58 

In reply to openning

So Product, Place, Price and Promotion are all important.
Quite correct Sir

Courtesy 2017-10-28 16:42:36 

In reply to positiveg

So there is no need to create a second tier in test cricket...wouldn't you agree?

Btw, they all can be important with varying degrees of importance or simply put different weighting on the p'eas.

One of the biggest mistakes of Eastman Kodak was while they were world leaders in photography and its attendant products, they paid little attention to product development...they did all other peas fairly well...where are they now? They probably took a page from WICBC's handbook in neglecting their product.

Digital photography left them dead in their tracks.

Same as WICBC, WICB and now CWI. The entity now called CWI still has not learnt these life or business lessons.

POINT 2017-10-28 18:16:34 

In reply to openning

You are being very evasive . The most
important P , as you have stated is
PRODUCT , it has at least 3 times more
importance than the other P'S you have mentioned .

BTW , why is it that Our International
Teams do not have several Financial Sponsors ???
This freaking fact speaks Volumes , generally Sponsors of all Stripes only gravitate to WINNERS .

Interestingly , I am deafened by the
Silence of those who bluntly refuse to cite current Standing of Our Players in the longer versions of the
Game .

None of the other Blowhards have done that ; perhaps you can summon up your
Testicular Fortitude to state in this
Post , the current position of Our Teams in the Longer Versions of the Game .

openning 2017-10-28 18:45:24 

In reply to POINT

Point, The CWI no different from the Toronto Maple leaf, New York Jet, New York Yankee, Oakland Raiders and many other sport teams.

We maybe the smallest group to compete among the top tier in cricket, especially with insularity.
The WICB/CWI has made mistakes, changing the governance, may not change the mindset of the people that runs the organization
A question posted to Tino Best today, as to why he only played one match for the Trident, his answer was, it is franchise cricket.
That maybe the way to go, to stamp out insularity, and other problem that effecting the cricket.
We have been losing matches for decades, even with two of the greatest batsman, since VIv
As I type this, only one Island is providing live video and audio stream of our regional cricket.
Only two Islands have academies and offer contracts to the non-contracted CWI players.
T&T has the most sort after T20 players in the region, and the CWI has Merchandise from T20 to market.
Test cricket will come back, but each territory has to play its part, or not Insularity will continue.
BTW, some of these games are not promoted in the Island which there are being played, so this is a good move by CWI

Khaga 2017-10-28 18:48:57 

After the disastrous Hillaire experiment ,good to see CWI waking up to the reality.

Courtesy 2017-10-28 18:49:59 

In reply to openning

...That maybe the way to go, to stamp out insularity, and other problem that effecting the cricket.
We have been losing matches for decades, even with two of the greatest batsman, since VIv
As I type this, only one Island is providing live video and audio stream of our regional cricket.
Only two Islands have academies and offer contracts to the non-contracted CWI players.
T&T has the most sort after T20 players in the region, and the CWI has Merchandise from T20 to market.
Test cricket will come back, but each territory has to play its part, or not Insularity will continue.

With the greatest of respect openning, you are actually making a case above for more emphasis to be placed on product development. You can promote or merchandise all you want...a bad product is a bad product. It does not sell easily even with the fattest of A+P dollars spent on it.

Point finally has a point.

openning 2017-10-28 18:54:18 

In reply to Courtesy

We do have a product, it need tweeting, and will take people like you to buy into it.

Courtesy 2017-10-28 19:01:31 

In reply to openning

We do have a product,...

Who said we don't have a product. It's a product that is sold for two for three cents and no one wants to buy it.

How many years without a sponsor? Nuff sponsors would be lining up for the brand if it were worth anything.

Brand West Indies is toxic.

Btw, the most cost effective way to promote a cricket brand is to win consistently...not by merchandising and PR.

openning 2017-10-28 19:09:19 

In reply to Courtesy

How many years without a sponsor? Sponsors would be lining up for the brand if it were worth anything.

Are you telling me, having 333, The Icon, The Champion, and others playing, you will not attract sponsors?

Courtesy 2017-10-28 19:11:19 

In reply to openning

Are you telling me, having 333, The Icon, The Champion, and others playing, you will not attract sponsors?

lol lol lol

Let's leave it at that.

sgtdjones 2017-10-28 19:27:32 

In reply to Khaga

After the disastrous Hillaire experiment ,good to see CWI waking up to the reality.

I have been researching this H&H regime, two dunces.

How can one employ a CEO who knows nothing about the
game of Cricket and admitted to it on TV?

He response.... we are winning in first innings?

No sponsor wanted to be part of such an inept regime.

They didn't know the word marketing.

He knew how to run and complain about a chair.

Laughable

lol lol lol

Khaga 2017-10-28 19:38:13 

In reply to sgtdjones

That joker was fighting with the players,creating friction,bullying players..good thing he was chaired..

WestDem 2017-10-28 20:02:22 

In reply to Khaga

Have you ever seen a player getting played? This biatch will get fcuk with sand! lol lol lol lol

POINT 2017-10-29 17:36:53 

People here can try obfuscating the
Fact that to attract Financial Sponsors , it is very important to have a GOOD PRODUCT .

PRODUCT IN THIS INSTANCE IS

COMPETITIVENESS . OUR PLAYERS IN THE

LONGER VERSIONS OF THE GAME , WHEN

LOOKING AT THEIR STANDING IN THE

LONGER VERSIONS OF THE GAME

INTERNATIONALLY CANNOT BE CONSIDERED

AS BEING COMPETITIVE .

Obvious one the first things ANY
Financial Sponsor is going to ask is
This :

WHAT IS THE STANDING OF YOUR TEAM

IN THE INTERNATIONAL CRICKET ARENA ??

In my opinion , Potential Financial
Sponsors , will not be interested if
Our Team aint in the Top Five .

My Critics also have not cited the fact that the current Standing of Our
Team , means that the WICBC/CWI has
absolutely little Bargaining Power with regard to TV Rights .

In essence because of our Team's current Standing , they have to take
what is given to them without a Freaking Murmur .

It really aint Rocket Science , if you not in the top 5 ; Commanding TV
Rights ; and attracting Financial Sponsors is simply a Figment of the
Imagination of those in the Governance of West Indies Cricket , and their diehard Supporters in this Forum .

Many here seem to have forgotten this
Freaking Fact :

THERE WAS A TIME WHEN THE WICBC/CWI

HAD REGIONAL SPONSORS FOR CRICKET ;

AND THEY STOPPED BEING SPONSORS ; WHY

THEY LEFT HAS NEVER EVER , TO MY

KNOWLEDGE ; BEEN DIVULGED .

The Jokers in the Region who claim to be Sports Journalists , I guess did not or do they believe that this was & is Important . Rather than investigate why those Sponsors left ,they prefer to be the WICBC/CWI
Boot Lickers .

Khaga 2017-10-29 19:53:28 

In reply to POINT

What's your view on Ernest Hillaire's CEO role?

Courtesy 2017-10-29 19:54:51 

lol lol lol

Fellas hurting badly.

Shivasuryashit, you will learn.

Surya, how about the mellifluence of that name above?

I say Davendra Bishoo to that.

POINT 2017-10-30 16:32:37 

In reply to Khaga

My perspective is that EVERYONE in the
governance of West Indies Cricket have
Individually & Collectively failed the
Region .

I have no idea why , but THEY have failed to recognized the fact that the most important factor regarding improving Cricket Regionally &
Internationally is :

THE TOTAL COMPETITIVENESS OF OUR

PLAYERS IN THE INTERNATIONAL CRICKET

ARENA .

Other factors pale in significant to
the Competitiveness of Our Players .
What is troubling is the fact that the WICBC/CWI BOOTLICKERS in the
Media bluntly refuse to acknowledge
this freaking Fact .

This is due to the fact that Most
Sports Journalists do not have the
Testicular Fortitude to tell the
Emperors in the WICBC/CWI that they are :

STARK FREAKING NAKED , NOW THIS IS

NOT A RECENT OCCURRENCE , IT HAS BEEN

GOING ON FOR DECADES .

That is why I have continuously stated in this Forum that those in the Media are complicit with the WICBC/CWI for the current State of
West Indies Cricket , especially in
the longer versions of the game .

It gives me no pleasure to state that
they are All Living in a Fool's Paradise . This Issue only requires
Common Sense , but unfortunately many
in the Region are devoid of any Common Sense .