The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

World boss wins his court case

Khaga 2017-10-30 01:13:21 

"I am a good man"

Verstehen 2017-10-30 02:25:53 

In reply to Khaga

Good for Worl' boss.

I always knew he would throw off the towel to expose the facts to the world!

tops 2017-10-30 03:22:09 

In reply to Verstehen
"I always knew he would throw off the towel to expose the facts to the world!"
lol

Larr Pullo 2017-10-30 03:28:14 

In reply to Verstehen

Interesting that they listened to the word of a witness who it can be argued also harassed the woman.... lol lol lol

Verstehen 2017-10-30 04:14:31 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Maybe she can next sue Dwayne, while this time worl' boss can act as his witness....

Khaga 2017-10-30 04:57:45 

In reply to Verstehen

lol

johnjo 2017-10-30 06:14:06 

Personally I thought it was a straight forward case. I just don't see how they were going to prove that Chris did anything without reasonable doubt.

rubberd 2017-10-30 06:34:40 

In reply to Larr Pullo

The verdict also mentioned that Fairfax Media had been malicious in their representation of the news report in January 2016 and did not base it on facts and truths. The court will come together to decide upon the damages on Tuesday.

That is all

Drapsey 2017-10-30 06:38:57 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Interesting that they listened to the word of a witness who it can be argued also harassed the woman....

You sound disappointed.

Drapsey 2017-10-30 06:40:06 

Come in Judgement, we eagerly await your opinion.

Larr Pullo 2017-10-30 06:40:30 

In reply to Drapsey

Speaking from a legal POV. Some lawyers would have destroyed him as a witness.

Judgement 2017-10-30 07:17:24 

In reply to Drapsey

“Fairfax Media is concerned with the conduct of the trial to the extent that on Friday it sought an order that the jury be discharged and a new trial ordered,” a spokesman said.

The Judge accepted that the jury had been misled in a way that prejudiced Fairfax, but declined to discharge the jury.

“Fairfax believes that it did not get a fair trial. It is seriously considering its appeal rights.”

Link Text

Let's wait for the appeal shall we big grin

ponderiver 2017-10-30 07:20:57 

In reply to Larr Pullo

what a sad individual you are envy gine kill you

by the way how Travis doing ......... poor Travis was doing well until you jumped on his bandwagon

rolleyes

Judgement 2017-10-30 07:24:12 

In reply to ponderiver

I don't think its envy - Larr speaks logic. Chris has a bad reputation with women. If they had dug deep enough and if other women were not scared to come forward and be scrutinised under the world's microscope, i think it would have been a very different outcome for Chris. However, i am certain Fairfax will appeal.

Drapsey 2017-10-30 07:32:05 

In reply to Judgement

“Fairfax Media is concerned with the conduct of the trial to the extent that on Friday it sought an order that the jury be discharged and a new trial ordered,” a spokesman said.

Even after they had the 6 (?) member jury packed with 5 (?) women? And that is in addition to having a female judge.

camos 2017-10-30 07:36:21 

In reply to Judgement

Chris has a bad reputation with women

none of that can be used as evidence, only the facts relevant to the case can be used.

doosra 2017-10-30 07:37:55 

In reply to camos

correct big grin

ponderiver 2017-10-30 07:55:13 

In reply to Judgement

Chris has a bad reputation with women
so do most black men because we are constantly sexualised because of the size of our dicks

Larr's reputation is not so stellar,if we are to believe certain allegations regarding him and a female poster.

Young Emmett Till paid with his life for his reputation with a ..... woman

Donald Trump has gone on record saying he he just goes up to women and grabs them by the pussy it was dismissed as locker room talk and he is President of the United States.

I have news for you Chris was actually in a locker room where he was entitled to be naked for that matter. She went in looking for a sandwich ...... please who goes into a locker room looking for a sandwich rolleyes

camos 2017-10-30 08:01:16 

In reply to ponderiver

the fact that she had to explain what she was doing in the dressing room raises a lot of questions.

Narper 2017-10-30 08:12:11 

In reply to Verstehen

I always knew he would throw off the towel to expose the facts to the world!

You must have seen the facts too wink

camos 2017-10-30 08:20:07 

In reply to Judgement

i think it would have been a very different outcome for Chris. However, i am certain Fairfax will appeal.

what will be the basis of the appeal, no new fact will be introduced?

Verstehen 2017-10-30 08:24:25 

In reply to Narper

I don't know Gayle as well as you seem to do....

Khaga 2017-10-30 08:32:45 

FairFox media jumped the gun..

Judgement 2017-10-30 08:52:05 

In reply to ponderiver

Nothing to do with being black. You said that not me. Bill Clinton, Donald Trump et al come to mind - it boils down to a lack of respect.

And by the way - for the zillionth time - she was the team massage therapist and a member of staff. She was ALLOWED to enter the locker room, it was where the food for the ENTIRE TEAM was being served at that particular time.

Do you think BEING THE MASSAGE THERAPIST, she had to make a special trip to the locker room in order to see these men naked when she MASSAGES THE PLAYERS BODIES as part of her profession? Use your brain.

mikesiva 2017-10-30 08:55:17 

In reply to Khaga

Also, because we're not in court, we're not privy to the entire cross-examination. While one possible scenario could've been that Gayle was out of order, the other possible scenario could've been that because Gayle is worth about US$30 million, and some people might see him as a possible cash cow to be milked.

Not enough folks here considered the latter possibility.

Judgement 2017-10-30 08:55:49 

In reply to Drapsey

3 female jurors and 1 male and yes it should be an interesting appeal if what Fairfax are claiming is true.

camos 2017-10-30 09:03:01 

In reply to mikesiva

Gayle is worth about US$30 million, and some people might see him as a possible cash cow to be milked.

Not enough folks here considered the latter possibility

don't think money was the motive,for Gayle was never on the line to pay anything.

the media was reckless,airing such a claim without support.

Judgement 2017-10-30 09:06:50 

In reply to camos

If one states that they are of good character (and character assassinations are usually aplenty in defamation cases and the media reports in this case said the same) the other party would be entitled to adduce evidence of one's bad character. The "bad character" evidence is used in an attempt to prove that a witness is not credible and that something in their past suggests that they are not to be believed. Having said that, i suspect the same standard was evenly applied against Fairfax despite their defenses of truth and qualified privilege.

Khaga 2017-10-30 09:08:32 

In reply to mikesiva

Is it not a case of Gayle suing Fairfax and not the other way?

Judgement 2017-10-30 09:14:30 

In reply to camos

They would have to have new facts or claim illegality to the process in which the law has been administered which culminated in the current decision (which is what they are hinting at), for their appeal to have serious contention. Should be very interesting.

Judgement 2017-10-30 09:19:40 

In reply to Khaga

Exactly Khaga. She didn't sell her story or look for monetary gain, she was interviewed by Chloe Saltau, Editor for one of the Australian newspapers who she has known for many years. She had already attempted to complain to Richie Richardson about the discomfort she was feeling over several incidents with team members as they had happened, it wasn't like she suddenly dreamt up the story.

Dukes 2017-10-30 09:28:30 

In reply to camos

what will be the basis of the appeal, no new fact will be introduced?

Apparently Chris wanted to introduce a fact to the massager!!!!LOL

rubberd 2017-10-30 09:48:10 

In reply to Judgement

Fairfax Media had been malicious

the news report in January 2016 and did not base it on facts and truth.

This is what Fairfax have to overturn, i don't know how they are going to prove the story was true.

Maispwi 2017-10-30 10:52:10 

In reply to Judgement

What has Chris done to you dat you dislike de man so much?

ponderiver 2017-10-30 11:07:11 

In reply to Judgement

It is the norm for a penis to be in the dressing room especially when it pertains to male cricketers.

Incidentally Bill did not force himself on to that woman,at least as far as we know.

by all accounts ,she was a willing participant and way above the age of consent. It is quite possible that she was seduced by the power that his position wielded , however i am yet to see a picture of monica where she wasn't smiling

Trump on the other hand has openly admitted that he assaulted women .... they made him president .........Gayle said to a woman don't blush baby ,i want to look at your eyes ...... For this he has being demonised ever since and had his livelihood threatened...... use yuh rassclaat brain.

Race and nationality is the issue here, i am not afraid to call it ......

WestDem 2017-10-30 11:19:59 

In reply to Judgement

Chris has a bad reputation with women. If they had dug deep enough and if other women were not scared to come forward and be scrutinised under the world's microscope, i think it would have been a very different outcome for Chris.

Look, all Gayle can be blamed for against all the women is he try to be funny with them during interviews...what you are claiming here is beyond ridiculous..you need to look beyond your hate fuh Chris....Marlon stood up to Warne, he is black balled worldwide from most T20 league even though he is a proven winner....Gayle is being made out like de worst man around because of that "Don't Blush Baby" comment...I hope he get a good payday...fcuk these OZZIES...

Star 2017-10-30 11:28:05 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Speaking from a legal POV. Some lawyers would have destroyed him as a witness

How so?

Can you give an example?

mikesiva 2017-10-30 11:39:39 

In reply to ponderiver

Gayle’s barrister Bruce McClintock accused Ms Russell of making the story up.

He suggested to Ms Russell that she and West Indies physiotherapist, CJ Clarke, who had an ongoing feud with Gayle, colluded to make up the story so the cricketer would be kicked out of the team.

“Absolutely untrue,” Ms Russell said.

The court heard allegations Clarke had challenged Gayle to a fight during the West Indies tour of South Africa in 2015.

Clarke also sent Ms Russell a text message the day after the Mel McLaughlin interview suggesting that she should put in her “two cents.”

The following day when the allegations were published Clarke texted Ms Russell, “you little beauty, well done”.

Justice Lucy McCallum will now assess how much money Gayle will be awarded in damages.

In Australia general damages in defamation cases are capped at $389,500.

However that figure could blow out if Gayle is awarded money for aggravated and special damages.

Interesting

Judge for yourselves....

archangel 2017-10-30 12:03:38 

Is a female masseuse allowed to enter a male changing room?

If it is allowed, would also work for a male masseur to enter a female changing room?

ponderiver 2017-10-30 13:19:09 

In reply to mikesiva

The Australianisation of our cricket will end in tears no Physio should be allowed to challenge a player to a fight and then collude with another member of staff to get the said player in even more trouble.

is he still on the payroll

Cant wait to hear Judgements view on this but then again he only has chat against people of colour

Hants 2017-10-30 14:12:28 

"The massage therapist who made the allegation, Leanne Russell, testified in court last week that she cried uncontrollably after Gayle pulled down his towel to expose himself"

The above statement convinced me that either the woman lied or has serious psychological problems.

camos 2017-10-30 14:16:38 

In reply to archangel

you now see why the man had to defend his name and no go away quietly as you suggested last week?

Runs 2017-10-30 14:19:06 

In reply to camos

School these uths lol

Khaga 2017-10-30 14:30:16 

For Gayle,offense is the best form of defense even if he is offensive..

Toney 2017-10-30 14:37:36 

In reply to Drapsey

You sound disappointed.

I am sure he is. shock

archangel 2017-10-30 14:41:06 

In reply to camos

I still think that he should have left it alone.

I don’t know how many people outside of Australia knew about this before we heard of the law suit.

It is just one more thing that people are going to remember about him even though he won. We have posters here who doubt that he was on the right side because of past knowledge. I don’t see him going much more into representing the West Indies at this stage or looking for work otherwise to go through the hassle.

A man in his prime in the sport, yes, but why now? Unless there is something that he stands to gain from financially but his name had to be cleared.

“Winning” the case will not change how local people feel.

WestDem 2017-10-30 15:50:37 

In reply to archangel

“Winning” the case will not change how local people feel.

"Winning" the case will justify his self beliefs and who gives a rats arse how people fell? Most of them felt the way the feel about Chris even before this case...some things you cannot change!

Let anodda media outlet publish the same nah?

Ewart 2017-10-30 16:01:55 

In reply to camos

The media was reckless.....

Thank you!

Most of the guys on this thread seem to forget that this is a civil case of defamation (libel) brought by Chris Gayle. In order for a newspaper to publish something like that it would have had to arm itself with solid documentation and/or several witnesses. It had neither!

Fairfax media jumped at the masseuse's claim with extreme recklessness. And now it will have to pay Gayle for its recklessness.

//

powen001 2017-10-30 18:01:58 

In reply to Ewart

BRAXXX

that ez.

was wondering how the victim (CHRIS) was being made the defendant here...smh.

com pre hen sion big grin

black 2017-10-30 20:27:55 

The massage therapist who made the allegation, Leanne Russell, testified in court last week that she cried uncontrollably after Gayle pulled down his towel to expose himself while saying "is this what you're looking for?" during a training session at Drummoyne Oval. Both Gayle and his team-mate Dwayne Smith gave evidence denying that the episode took place.

Man nah easy. lol

Courtesy 2017-10-30 20:37:30 

In reply to black

Gayle nah speak like dis in a dressing room.

It's...you lookin fi dis? (and rattled out in one word). This gave it away for the defendants.

big grin

black 2017-10-30 21:27:49 

In reply to Courtesy

lol lol lol

Maybe it was the translation.

ProWI 2017-10-31 02:17:10 

Gayle wins and sports a new look

Judgement 2017-10-31 03:58:06 

In reply to ponderiver

I am obviously talking to an imbecile. When you can't win an argument like a civilized person, the next best thing is to bring colour into it right? Funny as heck but especially for your benefit i won't go into what "colour" i am as it is irrelevant to the facts here, but i am sure you will tell me what i am lol!

Judgement 2017-10-31 04:01:31 

In reply to rubberd

Yes good point, if they appeal, that will indicate they have something to go on as there has to be proper grounds for making an appeal and there are strict time limits within which to do so etc.

Judgement 2017-10-31 04:06:58 

In reply to WestDem

How can you speak for how women feel? I have nothing against Gayle, i have known him a long time and i am aware his partner's brother is on this forum but just because he is a star and he is black does not give him automatic licence to treat women how he wishes. But i am telling a bunch of dinosaurs that evidently rolleyes rolleyes

Remember, what you consider a "joke" has him banned from playing in Australia where sportsmen have more respect for their female counterparts so not everyone is as lax as you lot.

mikesiva 2017-10-31 04:16:49 

In reply to Judgement

You seem to forget that the court ruled in favour of gayle. Let me break it down. A jury of white Australian women ruled in favour of a black jamaican man against a white Australian woman. Her testimony must have been seriously lacking in credibility for that to happen!

She claimed to be speaking out for women. If that was the case the normal public relations practice is to hold a press conference and invite all the media to it. Instead she sold an exclusive to a single newspaper. That implied that money exchanged hands. That's how it works in England. I am sure Australia is no different.

But she needed a better story. And that's the problem.

Drapsey 2017-10-31 05:35:47 

In reply to Judgement

Yes good point, if they appeal, that will indicate they have something to go on as there has to be proper grounds for making an appeal and there are strict time limits within which to do so etc.

You seem to be even more disappointed in the verdict than Pollo.

One would guess that if you were the judge the verdict would've been the total opposite, evidence or the lack thereof notwithstanding.

Judgement 2017-10-31 05:56:36 

In reply to mikesiva

If that was the case the normal public relations practice is to hold a press conference and invite all the media to it. Instead she sold an exclusive to a single newspaper. That implied that money exchanged hands. That's how it works in England.

What planet are you on? Normal public relations practice is to hold a press conference and invite all the media to tell them Chris flashed his penis at Leanne Russell? Are you kidding me? Do you know the meaning of a press conference?!

And by the way, in England it is predominantly glamour models that sell their stories to newspapers about footballers, cricketers and Shane Warne. Why is it implied that Leanne Russell sold her story to Fairfax? She knew the editor of the newspaper, Chloe Saltau, personally. At NO POINT in court proceedings was it ever stated that Ms Russell received compensation for her story. Do not be making lies up to prove a point.

And you talk about her credibility when his witness was his close friend Dwayne Smith? That sounds like a fair trial to you? You also conveniently leave out the fact that she had raised these same issues with Richie Richardson as they happened back in 2015? I'm looking forward to the appeal.

Fairfax Media is concerned with the conduct of the trial to the extent that on Friday it sought an order that the jury be discharged and a new trial ordered,” a spokesman said.

The Judge accepted that the jury had been misled in a way that prejudiced Fairfax, but declined to discharge the jury.

Fairfax believes that it did not get a fair trial. It is seriously considering its appeal rights.

Judgement 2017-10-31 05:58:37 

In reply to Drapsey

And you seem incapable of understanding there are always two sides to a story.

ponderiver 2017-10-31 09:49:58 

In reply to Judgement

I am obviously talking to an imbecile.
Hush you really need to go out more often and stop talking to yourself

When you can't win an argument like a civilized person, the next best thing is to bring colour into it right?
I believed in Gayle , so did the judge and the jurors, you wanted Gayle hung dried and quartered , he was guilty in your eyes just because he existed , your hateful premise ,failed , crumpled under close scrutiny, so pray tell, what argument did i lose ??

Funny as heck but especially for your benefit i won't go into what "colour" i am as it is irrelevant to the facts here, but i am sure you will tell me what i am lol!
well you havent left me much choice so here goes , you come across as being a Ben Carsonish type of person , therefore you could only be one colour and it has to be coconut

have a lovely day rolleyes

natty_forever 2017-10-31 10:21:05 

In reply to Judgement

in Australia where sportsmen have more respect for their female counterparts
... once them white, would like to hear from a few aborigines' women?

granite 2017-10-31 12:44:29 

In reply to ponderiver

Hello pondie,ah was looking at a program one night called Naked Attraction.Men would see women naked and choose one for a date,women would choose a bloke getting the chance to see them naked.The night I saw the show there was one black bloke,the other 3 were white,the black guy had a small dick,in fact it was too small for any man,I had to wonder,is he the only Blackman with such a small pecker. lol lol lol

ponderiver 2017-10-31 14:45:27 

In reply to granite

Great question but mi kyaan help yuh ...... it is di kind of question that would stroke the ego of a certain poster and his fren dem

good luck in your quest

Halliwell 2017-10-31 15:10:35 

In reply to ponderiver

lol

camos 2017-10-31 15:16:36 

In reply to Judgement

there are always two sides to a story.
and then you have the story!

Narper 2017-10-31 15:16:38 

In reply to Drapsey

You seem to be even more disappointed in the verdict than Pollo.

You are absolutely correct.

This clown had already passed judgement.

natty_forever 2017-10-31 16:09:20 

In reply to ponderiver...

please who goes into a locker room looking for a sandwich
... was that a Gayle on rye?

rubberd 2017-10-31 17:00:33 

In reply to Judgement

You also conveniently leave out the fact that she had raised these same issues with Richie Richardson as they happened back in 2015?

If this issue related to Gayle only why issue memo to whole team, it seems she had difficulty with cultural differences or no team protocols were in place. Players personal effects are sometimes stolen from dressing rooms, maybe she was a crook.