Message Board Archives

Law better keep him mouth shut

Baje 2017-11-03 16:35:09 

The last coach to publicly tell de selectors how to select lose de wuk

silver 2017-11-03 16:46:22 

In reply to Baje

He is white he can get away with that stuff

openning 2017-11-03 16:48:38 

BULAWAYO, Zimbabwe, CMC – If West Indies head coach Stuart Law had his way, the 15-man squad which toured Zimbabwe would remain unchanged for the two-Test Test series in New Zealand starting later this month.

The Australian told reporters here that the current group, retained from the England tour last August, were developing nicely as a unit and to make any changes would be disruptive going forward.

“I’ve made it pretty open and pretty clear to the chairman of selectors (Courtney Browne) and the selection panel that I think that this group we have together is worth working with,” Law said following the drawn second Test against Zimbabwe at Queens Sports Club here Thursday.

“It’s a short turnaround between now and New Zealand as well. To bring someone else in or a number of players in, I don’t think would be a great move in the sense that we would have to start again with those players.”

Law backs unchanged squad for NZ tour

WICFan 2017-11-03 16:56:11 

How much beer was in his system when he said this.

openning 2017-11-03 17:00:32 

In reply to WICFan

He is the HC and should get his team.

silver 2017-11-03 17:06:21 

In reply to openning

He don't know the rest of the players or the talent pool so he should not make a statement likey that. Are you telling me we should take Kyle to New Zealand

openning 2017-11-03 17:11:32 

In reply to silver
What I am saying, a coach should be responsible for the team, he selects, not one that is given to him.
I also believe a coach should hire his own staff, and report to the Cricket Director.

Narper 2017-11-03 17:12:10 

In reply to openning

Law out of Order big grin

openning 2017-11-03 17:14:47 

In reply to Narper

You do teach Organization structure to your students.
How would you like your director, to tell you, what marks you should give a student?

Narper 2017-11-03 17:19:26 

In reply to openning

He is the HC and should get his team.

he is head coach....his job is to coach....all that he is given

HE IS NOT THE CRICKET DIRECTOR

Narper 2017-11-03 17:20:46 

In reply to openning

How would you like your director, to tell you, what marks you should give a student?

Answer is no

But show me the relevance of your question to Law requesting the same team

openning 2017-11-03 17:23:57 

In reply to Narper

Can you name one other team sport, that the HC, don't get his team?
Hockey, Football, Soccer, Football, Baseball, these are four team sports the Head Coach is in charge or have an input in every squad selected.
They are not given a squad to manage/coach.

I am against a number of the old cricket traditions.
1. The captain being responsible for the team, during play
2. Selectors, they should be scouts, reporting to managemnet

The HC, should be responsible for his players and their performance
Have a look at this management team

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-11-03 17:29:13 

In reply to Narper

From law and order to out of order?big grin big grin

Narper 2017-11-03 17:31:29 

In reply to openning

Can you name one other team sport, that the HC, don't get his team?

May happen in the future....but that is NOT the case now

Therefore Law must honour the job description given to him....or go

WICB offers employment to the coach.

WICB appoints the selectors

Narper 2017-11-03 17:32:35 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

From law and order to out of order?

As somebody said....he has been drinking big grin

openning 2017-11-03 17:37:44 

In reply to Narper

Remember I spoke the same when Phil was appointed
Your as a professional, have seen a number of changes in management, why not advocate for changes, and bring cricket into 2017 management structure?

imusic 2017-11-03 17:58:23 

I’m shocked he not advocating for Brooks and Carter to be in the squad

openning 2017-11-03 18:04:21 

In reply to imusic

Thats goes to show, he is the HC of CWI, and not hired by the BCA.

lol lol

silver 2017-11-03 18:56:05 

In reply to openning

Boss you don't get it. Law is Australian and therefore will not know any of the local players. What do you care as long as they are your fellow country men

openning 2017-11-03 19:31:51 

In reply to silver

So why hire an Australian or any non country person as a HC?
You guys are not up to date with the latest of technology, and think going to games are the only way to see players.
Everyone of the potential players, Law may have hours of videos on, thats one of the ways it is done
The Selectors, regional coaches, also provide knowledge and history of players.
Otis Gibson, is allowed to hire his own coaching staff in South Africa.
No wonder we are so backward.
I listened to Jeremiah Louis speaking about the protocol on fitness, on the first day of the match against the Pride, which most of us fans, are not aware of.
Coaches get info on players, many ways

silver 2017-11-03 19:35:43 

In reply to openning

Really and he want to take Kyle to New Zealand instead of the inform Ambris

jacksparrow 2017-11-03 19:39:14 

Law happy with a win and a draw against Zimbabwe. Damn thats an easy job, and handsomely paid with low expectations. I applying next year.

Baje 2017-11-03 19:43:37 

I am sure that he has some buy in from the selectors. At the end of the day, if he doesn't get the job done, he will be fired.

openning 2017-11-03 19:49:25 

In reply to silver

What I get from him is, the tour is short only two test, similar to Zim.
My take is, to take Ambris, he will have to sit, just like Hetty has done in England and Zim.
I believe Hetty will play in NZ
BTW, I don't see him discarding any of the players, that did not play in England or ZIm
The spots up for grab, after the NZ tour are Kyle Hope and Jermaine Blackwood, barring injury don't expect too many changes in the future.

Baje 2017-11-03 19:50:20 

In reply to silver
[quote]Who has Law not seen? He has seen Ambris, Cornwall,... He has seen their stats and has seen them live.The coaches have invested a lot of time in the current players. Someone obviously sees a glimmer of hope. He probably feels that with any new players, the coaching staff will have to start from ground zero.
Remember he knew enough to drop Kraigg, Carlos, Powell and Carter from the ODI team. So I think once he sees little or no hope, he will ditch players. Also he demanded pace bowlers and now Courtney has put that as a priority. So I think his wishes will be accommodated.Expect Reifer and Cummins to be ditched as soon as he finds two decent quicks.

openning 2017-11-03 20:00:31 

In reply to Baje

Continue to educate these guys, who still living in the era, where technology was never heard of.
High school coaches have so much video of their students, which help them to get scholarships.
There are plenty of videos on college players, which assist teams in drafting players, teams see a number of deficiencies in players, by watching tapes.

silver 2017-11-03 20:26:30 

In reply to openning

You making spot man
lol lol lol lol

sunfish 2017-11-03 20:42:23 

This is not a binary situation. Coach Law is lobbying to keep the same team because he believes in them. However if there are changes I'm sure he will accept it and move on because he's a professional.

Why should he shut up or be shackled? And why are we so obsessed with 'place' and 'boundaries' in the Caribbean?

Aye, when will my people grow up and stop being so sensitive to what's essentially a meaningful professional opinion? This was neither criticism directed at his employers or a challenge to their directives.

Speak Mr. Law! It is your right to do so and ignore rigid thinking of this region.

tc1 2017-11-03 20:47:04 

In reply to Narper

A couple weeks you were singing praises on Law, what happens now.

lol lol lol

Star 2017-11-03 21:42:57 

In reply to WICFan
I do not see anything wrong in the Head Coach asking for a particular team so if Law wants this same team, let him have it, although I will find it extremely hard to leave out Sunil Ambris.

At 24 years old he is still young.

Baje 2017-11-03 21:57:51 

In reply to Star

I do not see anything wrong in the Head Coach asking for a particular team so if Law wants this same team, let him have it, although I will find it extremely hard to leave out Sunil Ambris.

Well Sunil will be there for the odis.

POINT 2017-11-03 22:29:06 

In reply to silver

You have made a very insightful observation . The Truth is that some in this Forum have not so Hidden Agendas .

natty_forever 2017-11-04 03:30:09 

In reply to Baje... he said he support taking the same 15. Means he done know.

Veracity 2017-11-04 09:40:02 

In reply to Baje

I agree - Stuart Law was appointed coach just before the PCL semi-finals last year, and he attended the Semi-Finals & Finals. That gave him the opportunity to see all the games/players.
I have been one of the voices that have advocated that players should be building their resumes and Ambris has done that over the past year and should be promoted. He has shown he has it.

We want to see players making a positive contribution but the coach has the best window into the players and should be given a voice into team selection - just like he does with what goes on on the field. Sports have changed over the decades and its about a lot about more than what you see on a scorecard, i.e., intangibles, such as personality, etc...

Ragga007 2017-11-04 14:07:20 

In reply to openning

Every single team sport.

In basketball, the head coach is given the players by the President and the General manager.

In baseball, the head coach is given the players by the General Manager.

In American Football, it is the General manager who gets to pick the players.

The job of the head coach is to take what he is given to win games.

openning 2017-11-04 14:25:59 

In reply to Ragga007

Dude, dont be a liar
Every Head Coach in the NBA, NFL is involve with the draft
These organizations also have scouts, that provide info to the management.
How NFL Teams Really Make Their Draft Picks

BeatDball 2017-11-05 06:40:29 

In reply to Baje

big grin wink