The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Law: ?No need to chop and change?

CaribbeanCricket.com 2017-11-04 08:17:59 

BULAWAYO, Zimbabwe – If West Indies head coach Stuart Law had his way, the 15-man squad which toured Zimbabwe would remain unchanged for the two-Test Test series in New Zealand starting later this month.

The Australian told reporters that the current group, retained from the England tour last August, were developing nicely as a unit and to make any changes would be disruptive going forward.

“I’ve made it pretty open and pretty clear to the chairman of selectors (Courtney Browne) and the selection panel that I think that this group we have together is worth working with,” Law said following the drawn second Test against Zimbabwe at Queens Sports Club yesterday.

“It’s a short turnaround between now and New Zealand as well. To bring someone else in or a number of players in, I don’t think would be a great move in the sense that we would have to start again with those players.”

West Indies beat Zimbabwe in the first Test by 117 runs at the same venue almost two weeks ago but were frustrated on Thursday in their bid for a clean sweep when the hosts batted the entire day to force a stalemate.

Full Story

silver 2017-11-04 08:39:31 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

This guy seems more interested in making friends than winning games for the windies

dayne 2017-11-04 09:12:33 

In reply to silver

It kind of look that way, he seem to be creating a members only club, it is unfair to the other players who are putting up good numbers like Ambris. Ambris could easily replace Kyle Hope who looks like he is in above his level at the moment.

ProWI 2017-11-04 09:34:56 

It’s an Aussie mind-set of having cohesive teams which can gell together to produce a winning unit.

On the other hand, the West Indian way with its insular, external critics, always snipping in hoping of having their favourites on the team, runs counter to what Law envisions as his mandate to change the losing culture.

Narper 2017-11-04 09:37:06 

So scrap regional tournaments for the next 5 years....don't waste money....suspend all players' retainers

WI have found their squad to become world beaters....Law and Out-of-Order do not need to look anywhere for other players

This same skunt Law and out-of-Order already publicly pronounced that J Ho should be cappo for life

All players playing currently in the region....go plant pigeon peas.

Baje 2017-11-04 11:19:14 

The coaches have invested in this group, and if they see some hope, then they have to stick with them longer.
Look at the ODI team, Law ended the Kraigg experiement, dropped Powell, Carlos, Carter, Chase. So clearly he is willing to make changes if players do not fit his vision.
How many regional batsmen not in the team have been performing consistently?

Baje 2017-11-04 11:21:22 

In reply to dayne

It kind of look that way, he seem to be creating a members only club, it is unfair to the other players who are putting up good numbers like Ambris. Ambris could easily replace Kyle Hope who looks like he is in above his level at the moment.

You do know that Law has seen Ambris, right? Pretty recently too.

Baje 2017-11-04 11:23:20 

In reply to silver
That chop and change method.. how well did it work in the past? I would hazard a guess that we have won more matches under Law, than we did under Simmons.

Baje 2017-11-04 11:27:03 

In reply to Narper

WI have found their squad to become world beaters....Law and Out-of-Order do not need to look anywhere for other players

What you saying..no new players entered the team since Law.. reach.. didnt Ambris just kick the ODI door down?

Narper 2017-11-04 11:52:45 

In reply to Baje

I am saying Law and out-of-order is saying he is very happy with this squad...he wants no new entries because 'he was would to do work all over again'....didn't you comprehend what he is saying?

“It’s a short turnaround between now and New Zealand as well. To bring someone else in or a number of players in, I don’t think would be a great move in the sense that we would have to start again with those players.”

Narper 2017-11-04 11:56:38 

In reply to Baje

. didnt Ambris just kick the ODI door down?

Did he...remind me how?

Ambris should have in in the test squad and ODI squad before now....he was royally ignored....

Law is sweet on the Hope brothers....HE has no place for Ambris

Narper 2017-11-04 12:06:29 

In reply to Baje

That chop and change method.. how well did it work in the past?

There has been chop and change because the dumbass selectors have more times than not rushed ill prepared youngsters into the senior team....and after they inevitably fail ...they had to be chopped....no choice...plain and simple they were not ready...

sgtdjones 2017-11-04 12:11:30 

In reply to Narper

The challenge will be in New Zealand.

Let's see how they perform, then we shall see if dem turning the korner.

lol lol lol

Narper 2017-11-04 12:18:11 

In reply to sgtdjones

Ish Sodhi to Hardik Pandya, out Bowled!! This is a big wicket, and Sodhi can be very proud of what he's done here. Hardik Pandya usually uses spin bowling to pick his teeth with. But this time, he's been completely hoodwinked. He's just standing there gobsmacked, unable to comprehend what happened. Lovely googly from Sodhi, slipping it through on a flat length and snaking it back in right through the gate. Pandya had no clue about it. Didn't pick it at all. He was actually looking to cut it away, and the ball ended up smashing middle and leg. That's how far he was done in by.

Hardik Pandya b Ish Sodhi 1(2

Just happened

Some of them here are saying NZ have no spin bowlers...to take Devon Smith...and Blackwood wink

openning 2017-11-04 12:35:54 

In reply to Narper

I am of the belief, that if NZ was a longer test tour, Kyle would be dropped.
Hetty will definitely play in NZ, that means taking Ambris, he would sit on the bench, and the batting coach will have limited time, to work with.
He is also not going to replace any of the reserves, because they did not play in England or Zim, but the coaches were able to work wit them.
Thats my take.
BTW, fans want to get rid of Blackwood, he not going anyway, have you notice him bowling in the last test?

Narper 2017-11-04 12:53:45 

In reply to openning

Are you okay with men failing repeatedly and yet given a long run..

Doesn't happen in any other international cricket team...or any other sport.

What message does it send to the incumbent failing players....and to players in the current regional tournaments?

Look what happened to Singh....when he was in form and delivering the goods in regional and WI A team....he was not selected....the year he consistently failed in the regional...then he was selected...and looked clueless in the 3 tests he played.

Narper 2017-11-04 12:58:37 

NZ 196/2 (20.0 Ovs)
IND 156/7 (20.0 Ovs) CRR: 7.8
New Zealand won by 40 runs

openning 2017-11-04 13:07:50 

Narp, changes will be made.
I am just looking at what Law is saying, it is a two test tour to NZ, he would like the same squad.
That means to me, the final X1, will be selected from within the squad, that has been together for six months.
From my view and I am thousand of miles away, only one change to the playing X1 will be made, and that is Hetty for Ambris.

Do you really think, Law is going to select Ambris or any other player, in the final X1 ahead of Hetty?
Ambris if selected will be a passenger.
If Kyle Hope is drop, fans will be still bawling for other players to be selected.
He is the HC, wants his own team to work with, he knows full well he has players performing at the A team level.
BTW, a player will have to dominate the regionals, to be place ahead of most of the A team players.

Pacy 2017-11-04 13:53:31 

This was expected. The team was retained hoping that the failed players for tests togather will be able to get atleast 1 or 2 decent scores to justify their places.

Unfortunate that Kyle could not do anything even after these chances. I am surprised that Law is willing to give even Kyle after continuous failiures.

Ragga007 2017-11-04 15:05:38 

In reply to sgtdjones

We have already seen how they have performed.

What else is there to see than to use "lets see" as an excuse to keep players that have failed to remain on the team and those on the outside who have been knocking on the door to get in from coming in?*

Norm 2017-11-04 15:14:34 

Good strategy to not change the team too often.

There is some risk of losing some of the better players who are not on the current team to T20 cricket, like Lil B, Lewis, etc, but the stability should allow current players to clearly determine their place at the highest level.

Baje 2017-11-04 15:50:39 

In reply to Ragga007

What else is there to see than to use "lets see" as an excuse to keep players that have failed to remain on the team and those on the outside who have been knocking on the door to get in from coming in?*

Who has been on the outside knocking and how long they have been knocking?

hairline1 2017-11-04 16:05:18 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com
Just keep the laughing giggling TT c.nts- off the forking team and west Indies will do well.
cool

rubberd 2017-11-04 16:48:04 

In reply to Baje

This is the man Law would like in the team but he is not available because he played today in the BPL

An attacking opening batsman, Evin Lewis was a part of the West Indies Under-19 side in New Zealand in 2010. He was the star of T&T's World T20 League campaign in 2013, smashing 211 runs

Link Text

Scar 2017-11-04 17:35:02 

In reply to ProWI

Nonsrnse! No way Khope would play the Tests in NZ after such dismal failure. OZ drop Khawanga or whatever his name is you think a Khope would last. OZ dont accept failures boss!

I more believe Law doesnt want to upset the psyche of Shai at this point! Also you really think the other two seamers are that good compared to others at home

Baje 2017-11-04 20:22:12 

In reply to rubberd

This is the man Law would like in the team but he is not available because he played today in the BPL

An attacking opening batsman, Evin Lewis was a part of the West Indies Under-19 side in New Zealand in 2010. He was the star of T&T's World T20 League campaign in 2013, smashing 211 runs

Thats the guy I would select also. If he can destroy bowling like he does in shorter form, it would take a lot of pressure off the other batsmen. Who are the other possible number three batsmen about there?

methodic 2017-11-04 20:24:15 

In reply to ProWI

which Oz you talking about. Oz drops you in a heart beat if you don't look the part.

openning 2017-11-04 21:21:22 

Is this squad not going directly to Australia for a camp?
Is that what the captain said, during his final interview?

BeatDball 2017-11-05 06:39:17 

People in WIC-ked-B always listen to likkle ole me! That's right, dont do drastic changes...these young felllas are gelling well. Heheheheheh.
big grin lol cool

dayne 2017-11-05 09:55:41 

The upcoming NZ tour could have the same result on some players like the last tour to NZ had. After the last tour there, Sammy, Best, Deonarine, K Edwards and Shillingford never played for WI in Test cricket again. Maybe with Law's strategy of keeping failing players on the squad, it might result in the ending for some players Test careers also.

granite 2017-11-05 11:55:16 

Cotterell needs to be on the team for NZ.