The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: WINDIES ANNOUNCE TEST SQUAD FOR TOUR OF NEW ZEALAND

CaribbeanCricket.com 2017-11-05 13:15:47 

ST. JOHN’S, Antigua – The Selection Panel of Cricket West Indies has announced a 15-member Windies squad for the two-Test series on the Tour of New Zealand, starting later this month.

SQUAD
Jason Holder (Captain)
Kraigg Brathwaite (Vice-Captain)
Sunil Ambris
Devendra Bishoo
Jermaine Blackwood
Roston Chase
Miguel Cummins
Shane Dowrich
Shannon Gabriel
Shimron Hetmyer
Shai Hope
Alzarri Joseph
Kieran Powell
Raymon Reifer
Kemar Roach

Full Story

Baje 2017-11-05 13:28:52 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com
Is everyone happy?

londoner 2017-11-05 13:34:54 

In reply to Baje No, Cummins continue to have a free holidays.

mikesiva 2017-11-05 13:44:46 

In reply to londoner

Keon Joseph should have been there.

Narper 2017-11-05 13:48:19 

In reply to Baje

Is everyone happy?

Are you?

buds 2017-11-05 13:59:00 

Blackwood
Powell
Cummins
Raider

Should not be on team

Baje 2017-11-05 14:04:36 

In reply to Narper
I see no test future in Reifer, otherwise the team looks fine.

Baje 2017-11-05 14:05:13 

In reply to buds
You ready to clean house. Who would you replace them with?

buds 2017-11-05 14:07:27 

In reply to Baje

Lewis
Cariah
King
Webster
Allen

silver 2017-11-05 14:08:01 

In reply to Baje

He is there to provide cover for holder

WestDem 2017-11-05 14:18:17 

It unfair to pick on Reifer, since he was selected on the senior squad, he was never given a chance to prove his worth of being or not being there! I like this squad!

Baje 2017-11-05 14:21:42 

In reply to WestDem

It unfair to pick on Reifer, since he was selected on the senior squad, he was never given a chance to prove his worth of being or not being there! I like this squad!

In Reifer I see someone who bowls too slow to be effective, and doesnt bat well enough to be a batting allrounder. Larr says he has talent, maybe I haven't seen enough of him

Baje 2017-11-05 14:24:26 

In reply to buds
Webster/Allen/King... What have they done? Are you talking about the match Trinidad/Guyana?

Lewis could make an excellent number 3, but unfortunately he is off playing T20.
Cariah is starting to knock on the door. Lets see if he has another good season

WestDem 2017-11-05 14:26:38 

In reply to Baje

How do you know how effective he is or isn’t unless he get a chance to play? He is a darn good all rounder if you ask me based on his numbers fuh Guyana! He need a chance to show he does not belong just like others!

pariaman 2017-11-05 14:29:49 

In reply to WestDem

You know whats going to happen unchanged squad for all matches. Win lose or draw. Them selectors have to go

WICFan 2017-11-05 14:31:30 

In reply to Baje

I would have taken Keon Joseph for Alzarri Joseph.

Alzarri would be better playing a couple of Regional matches & trying to find some form again.

Baje 2017-11-05 14:44:55 

In reply to WICFan
The coaching staff probably believes that he is much better off going through their program, than playing in regional 4 day. His lack of form could simply be a result of the staff asking him to learn new stuff

openning 2017-11-05 15:08:13 

Lets hope everyone is happy
With Blackwood in the final X1, who will get Kyle Hope slot?

sunfish 2017-11-05 15:59:40 

In reply to openning

Hetmyer is next in line.. Let's see how he fares against Boult and Southee. West Indies will probably struggle in NZ because NZ is a good side. How to get Latham, Guptill, Williamson and Taylor out?

azadtnt 2017-11-05 16:30:15 

In reply to sunfish

This is going to be tough in NZ if we continue to use Holder as one of the four main bowlers. He should be the fifth bowler selected as a batting allrounder. We need a fourth bowler. It makes no sense playing the extra batsman that’s not producing (Blackwood). Play the extra bowler and try to get twenty wickets. This is the only avenue to compete. Blackwood and Cummings are just a waste of money.

tc1 2017-11-05 16:40:06 

In reply to azadtnt

Holder will be the main wk taker in NZ

Baje 2017-11-05 16:42:29 

In reply to azadtnt
Do we have a fifth bowler likely to get wickets?

Lets hope everyone is happy
With Blackwood in the final X1, who will get Kyle Hope slot?

From what I have seen of Hetmyer, I would not bat him at #3. If Blackwood is going to play, I rather send him at #3 to chance his hand. With the field crowded around the bat, his bold strokes might pay off

Baje 2017-11-05 16:44:48 

In reply to sunfish

Hetmyer is next in line.. Let's see how he fares against Boult and Southee. West Indies will probably struggle in NZ because NZ is a good side. How to get Latham, Guptill, Williamson and Taylor out?

I fancy our chances more against New Zealand, than against England. England batted to #8, with two excellent #9 and #10 batsmen

azadtnt 2017-11-05 16:46:28 

In reply to tc1

What makes you say that when he hasn’t been doing much with the ball. Looks very ordinary to me. He needs to add at least a yard or two to his bowling in order to take advantage of his height. This is putting a lot of pressure on the other bowlers.

azadtnt 2017-11-05 16:50:08 

NZ is one of those teams that study and plan for their opposition. Braitwaite, Powell, and Chase will have a tough tour.

DIEHARD 2017-11-05 16:52:43 

WTH is gonna bat at number 3??

Given what we have seen..its likely to be Hety..with Blackwood at 6..we still two batsmen short.

I would rather Ambris at 6, Blackwood at 3..since he's gonna play.

Ambris more likely to succeed at 6, i feel Blackwood will fail wherever he comes in, so send him at 3..smh

analyst-kid 2017-11-05 16:54:25 

Best possible team

Brathwaite
Powell
S Hope
Ambris
Chase
Dowrich
Holder
Reifer/Hetmyer
Bishoo
Roach
Gabriel

sunfish 2017-11-05 16:55:42 

In reply to azadtnt

Agreed. Play the extra bowler and let Holder bat at #6.

jen 2017-11-05 17:00:56 

In reply to Baje

From what I have seen of Hetmyer, I would not bat him at #3. If Blackwood is going to play, I rather send him at #3 to chance his hand. With the field crowded around the bat, his bold strokes might pay off

My thoughts the same. I can already picture it, trent Boult starting one outside off stump, nipping in and bails flying, gap between bat and pad. Won't surprise at this level with that amount of gap between bat and pad for straight balls.

openning 2017-11-05 17:05:04 

In reply to analyst-kid

What would be the reason for moving Shai, did you not see how he fair, batting higher?
Best to leave good alone.

openning 2017-11-05 17:11:11 

In reply to jen

Have you seen Hetmyer bat, since he left the caribbean, on the tour to England?
Do you know what he is working on, with the batting coach?

imusic 2017-11-05 17:30:07 

Happy Lewis taking care of himself first and foremost

No need to depend on the whims and fancies of others.

Control what you can control and focus on that.

Good on him

It’s good not to be beholden

Norm 2017-11-05 17:57:26 

In reply to buds

Blackwood
Powell
Cummins
Raider

Should not be on team

Powell has been putting in a decent effort and achieving moderate success. He deserves an extended run. Blackie and Cummins will need to achieve more to keep their spots in the long term.

At least we are back to where players are under pressure from others for spots in senior teams. Several young players are emerging and the pressure to keep spots in the senior teams will increase.

Wally-1 2017-11-05 18:19:20 

In reply to buds

Rubbish, you would make a terrible selector

Wally-1 2017-11-05 18:44:34 

In reply to Norm

Powell, before Zim failed consistently...I think he has potential, therefore, i do not advocate dropping him...Blackwood had a poor Zim tour, both Blackwood and Dowrich are two exciting prospects that need to be persevered with..They'll both prove me right.

Baje 2017-11-05 18:45:21 

In reply to sunfish

Agreed. Play the extra bowler and let Holder bat at #6.

The extra bowlers have strike rates of 75/77/nothing yet

If the pitch looks encouraging, I might try Joseph..but I can see the coaches hesitancy

Wally-1 2017-11-05 18:50:55 

I love this squad, the weak links are Reifer and Cummins

Andy99 2017-11-05 19:25:45 

I like Holder at 8 and this year he has done his job as a front line bowler too.

If I had my way, with the squad selected I'd go with:

Paint
Hety
Blackwood
Sope
Chase
Ambris
Dow
Holder
Bish
Roach
Angel

But Powell's gonna play so only 2 of Hety, Ambris and Blackwood can play, seeing how they've gone recently, Ambris being new man in is gonna have to sit.
At the very least I hope Ambris gets to play in the warm up if we have any.

Norm 2017-11-05 19:43:10 

In reply to Wally-1

They'll both prove me right.

I hope so. I can't say I have been impressed by Blackie's very reckless batting style and I am not holding out much hope for him to retain his place in the long term. Nevertheless, Law's "stable team" policy should help to sort him out.

Dowrich may have been in a slump, or simply grown complacent. Again, there are other good keepers who can bat a bit, waiting to take his place if he can't keep on performing well.

TheTrail 2017-11-05 19:58:55 

My Eleven:

Brathwaite
Powell
Hetmyer
S Hope
Blackwood
Chase
Dowrich
Holder
Bishoo
Roach
Gabriel

Norm 2017-11-05 20:09:21 

In reply to Andy99

I hope Ambris gets to play in the warm up

Let's hope he makes the Test team and does well. WI need good batsmen!

Guys like Hety, Vishaul, Ambris, Kyle, etc, need to grasp their opportunities with both hands and lock in their spots like limpets. You snooze, you lose!

Baje 2017-11-05 20:17:26 

In reply to Norm
Hety, Vishaul and Kyle didnt snooze. They were overmatched and got knocked out.

Norm 2017-11-05 20:32:45 

In reply to Baje

They were overmatched

Naw! The competition and Law's "stable team" policy will make them all value their opportunities more.

Chally1 2017-11-05 20:54:03 

In reply to londoner

No, Cummins continue to have a free holidays.

Exactly. Why is he there? Stuepssss

Narper 2017-11-05 21:02:17 

In reply to Baje

In reply to Narper
I see no test future in Reifer, otherwise the team looks fine.

Why ...is it because Holder is there an allrounder?

Do you see a future for Cummins?

Reifer performed consistently well as an allrounder for a few years now....he earned a spot in the senior squad...and I would even replace Blackwood with him...if Blackwood continues to fail.

Narper 2017-11-05 21:06:26 

In reply to openning

Do you know what he is working on, with the batting coach?

That coach can't help Blackwood develop a stratgey to play spin.

I would have loved Hety to get a chance in ZIM....NZ can be rough

mikelegend 2017-11-05 21:14:19 

In reply to Narper

I would have loved Hety to get a chance in ZIM....NZ can be rough

My thoughts exactly!

Baje 2017-11-05 21:26:49 

In reply to Narper

Why ...is it because Holder is there an allrounder?

Do you see a future for Cummins?

Reifer performed consistently well as an allrounder for a few years now....he earned a spot in the senior squad...and I would even replace Blackwood with him...if Blackwood continues to fail.

I have seen Cummins bowl very well, pre-injury and i am hoping he can get back there. There was a time he was the leading pacer in FC.
Reifer seems too slow, does not do enough with the ball and is not much of a batsman.
He has been a steady performer, so I can see why he was selected, but I find it difficult envisioning him being successful at this level.

Ragga007 2017-11-06 00:40:24 

My 11:

Brathwaite
Powell
Ambris
S Hope
Hetmyer
Chase
Dowrich
Holder
Bishoo
Roach
Gabriel

buds 2017-11-06 06:58:34 

In reply to Wally-1

Blacks not getting the job done Wally!! He has regressed or reached his zenith--He cannot play spin.

natty_forever 2017-11-06 07:16:33 

In reply to azadtnt

This is going to be tough in NZ if we continue to use Holder as one of the four main bowlers. He should be the fifth bowler selected as a batting allrounder. We need a fourth bowler. It makes no sense playing the extra batsman that’s not producing (Blackwood). Play the extra bowler and try to get twenty wickets. This is the only avenue to compete. Blackwood and Cummings are just a waste of money. This is going to be tough in NZ if we continue to use Holder as one of the four main bowlers. He should be the fifth bowler selected as a batting allrounder. We need a fourth bowler. It makes no sense playing the extra batsman that’s not producing (Blackwood). Play the extra bowler and try to get twenty wickets. This is the only avenue to compete. Blackwood and Cummings are just a waste of money.
... that's how I feel.

natty_forever 2017-11-06 07:20:23 

In reply to Wally-1... bud have no idea, lets his emotions get the better of him. A bit like TC1.

natty_forever 2017-11-06 07:23:41 

In reply to Narper...

... being an advocate for a fifth bowler, this sounds good to me.

seaegg99 2017-11-06 08:47:49 

KB
Powell
Ambris
Shai
Chase
Dowrich
Holder
Bishoo
Roach
Joseph
Gabriel

I like Hetty but think Ambris us a little more seasoned.
Hetty traveling with the group and playing in the warmup
matches allows him to get experience in different conditions.

The England tour hopefully have given the batsmen more experience
playing bowlers moving the ball. NZ have a strong batting lineup
and we will need to get them out twice to make anything out of this.

dayne 2017-11-06 08:55:18 

In reply to Narper

That is an interesting idea, replacing Blackwood with Reifer to assist with the bowling, if Blackwood continues to fail, hopefully the play Reifer in the warm-up match. However, IMO another quick bowler that gets movement on the ball will be of more value, I favor playing Al Joseph instead of the extra batsman, NZ have a strong batting side in their conditions, to balance the team, Holder and Dowrich have to be more consistent with the bat.

natty_forever 2017-11-06 09:10:42 

In reply to dayne

Holder and Dowrich have to be more consistent with the bat.

DIEHARD 2017-11-06 10:21:07 

In reply to seaegg99

KB
Powell
Ambris
Shai
Chase
Dowrich
Holder
Bishoo
Roach
Joseph
Gabriel

I like that XI..but unfortunately..Hope will have to bat 3, heck even Dowrich..i dont think Ambris should debut at number 3.

Shai and Chase up to 3 and 4, Ambris at 5.

Andy99 2017-11-06 10:23:08 

In reply to DIEHARD

That XI hells no for me.
Bishoo at 8, Roach at 9, that would have to be by far the worst and longest tail in international cricket.

Only way I moving up Holder is if an allrounder comes in, a Reifer, Mayers, Cornwall type player to bat at 8.

osrlive 2017-11-06 10:23:32 

In reply to Baje

Is everyone happy?

Bajans?

osrlive 2017-11-06 10:26:47 

In reply to DIEHARD

Bishoo regularly bats at #3/4, just promote him.

Wonder how his stats compare to the regular day watchmen!

Ambris must bat at #6; anything higher is a conspiracy.

openning 2017-11-06 11:29:44 

In reply to seaegg99
Hetmyer has been part of the squad for sometime, must be a reason they kept him, instead of putting him into the A squad.
He has scored runs, including a ton in tour matches, thats why he should start, and bat at #3.

seaegg99 2017-11-06 11:36:49 

In reply to DIEHARD

Hope and Chase are pretty settled at 4 & 5 would like not to move them while they are now becoming accustomed to that. From watching the ODI against England, Ambris seemed to have a lot of time to play and didn't seemed overwhelmed where he batted. Was not tentative just played his game. Funny thing is I actually see Dowrich as the #3 bat in the group other than Ambris.

seaegg99 2017-11-06 11:44:09 

In reply to openning

Don't really want to see him yet against a topline lefty swing bowler with this much experience. Might set him up too easily. If he plays then I would definitely use him later with Dowrich at #3. I think we really need the extra pacer in those conditions to keep pressure on their batsmen. So the batting lineup will be one short.

DIEHARD 2017-11-06 11:56:59 

In reply to openning

Hetmyer has been part of the squad for sometime, must be a reason they kept him, instead of putting him into the A squad.
He has scored runs, including a ton in tour matches, thats why he should start, and bat at #3.

I believe he is actually next in line, this is the selectors m.o.

But man..what seaegg said

Don't really want to see him yet against a topline lefty swing bowler with this much experience. Might set him up too easily.

And i really believe Holder is being wasted at 8, the attack needs more oomph/ variety/ options.

But..Aljo looked so undercooked last couple times out..if it is to accommodate Aljo..i dunno..i would love if he was at his best..then the gamble would pay off..and given Blackwoods poor returns...

I don't envy those given the responsibility of choosing the final XI..but i would definitely gamble with Holder at 7, Dowrich at 3, Amrbis 6

natty_forever 2017-11-06 12:14:37 

In reply to DIEHARD... that's not a gamble, that's our best option to win more consistently.

runout 2017-11-06 12:29:04 

Kyle...well...you have to come again. Good luck.

So Hety's development is confined to learning form the bench! Nice...I see the insuLARR infulence on the team.

seaegg99 2017-11-06 12:41:47 

In reply to runout

Just don't want the top class swing bowling, in foreign conditions, thing to get into the youth's head. They kept on force feeding Shai opening when he wasn't at this level. Dealing with the new ball used by really good bowlers is a pretty tough thing for most veterans. No denying youth's talent though.

openning 2017-11-06 12:42:13 

In reply to DIEHARD
My basic argument is Hetmyer, being in the squad, instead of the A team.
For us who remember, Wes Hall sitting out of a five test series, then was in the final X1, the next series

Why keep him in the squad, then overlooked him?
Hetmyer gets my pick, or sending down to the A squad.

openning 2017-11-06 12:48:52 

In reply to seaegg99

Just don't want the top class swing bowling, in foreign conditions, thing to get into the youth's head. They kept on force feeding Shai opening when he wasn't at this level. Dealing with the new ball used by really good bowlers is a pretty tough thing for most veterans. No denying youth's talent though.

Both Shai and Leon Johnson, came directly from regional to open the inning.
Hetmyer has been part of the XV, for more than a year, that experience with the team and batting coach, can only be measure when he bats.
The only slot available right away, is if Bishoo gets injured, then one of A team spinners, should make the X1
Hetmyer was selected to replace a failing or injured batsman
Its his turn

runout 2017-11-06 12:49:02 

In reply to seaegg99

In my opinion, before the let him warm the bench they should let him play A-team cricket. His first class average is 32...after only 22 matches. He would do himself a whole lot of good playing first class. Especially with Shiv in the Guyana mix now.

allyuh talk nah!

seaegg99 2017-11-06 12:54:16 

In reply to runout

Sometimes touring with the top players and practicing with them might be more beneficial for experience sake. He is also in different countries in different atmospheres. He practices against the top bowlers in the West Indies. Figure when he is unleashed it should be a pretty good sight. Kid is what? 20 or 21. Ending out the year should be nothing to worry about.

runout 2017-11-06 13:00:53 

In reply to seaegg99

Ok bro. I just would want him to get as much first calss experience as possible. Boost his confidence. And build his game. Nets is no substitute for game time. A batsman needs to be in game situ to build his game.

jacksparrow 2017-11-06 13:01:16 

I am waiting to see how they gonna screw up Hety career

aliaskid13 2017-11-06 13:05:32 

1 Paint
2 KP
3 Shai
4 Chase
5 Blackwood/Hety
6 Dowrich+/Ambris+
7 Holder*
8 Bishoo
9 Roach
10 Joseph/Cummins
11 Gabriel

That's the 11. Holder should bat at 7 and we play an extra bowler. And we need to stop doing that stupid shit of debuting people at number 3. it's idiotic to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. The best batsman bat at 3 and 4. it's not the place for a newcomer or for somebody who often lose track of their off stump and then eventually find it somewhere near the boundary board behind them.

runout 2017-11-06 13:12:49 

In reply to aliaskid13
Just imagine the people Shiv was keeping out of this team...allyuh talk nah!

aliaskid13 2017-11-06 13:18:24 

In reply to runout

Shiv fuh hold a seat from long time.

spider 2017-11-06 13:21:10 

This is the team I think they should play
Brathwaite
Powell
Hope
Chase
Blackwood
Dowrich
Holder
Bishoo
Roach
Joseph
Gabriel

This is the team I think they'll play

Brathwaite
Rowell
Hetmyer
Hope
Chase
Blackwood
Dowrich
Holder
Bishoo
Roach
Gabriel

Ragga007 2017-11-06 15:28:19 

In reply to spider

Ambris will be in that lineup.

spider 2017-11-06 16:54:12 

In reply to Ragga007

Doubt they'll play him over Hetmyer and I think they'll give Blackwood more opportunities. I like what I have seen of Ambris though. Deserves a shot very soon. Think he and Hope will soon be out two best bats in tests.

stone 2017-11-06 17:45:40 

Ambris don't impress me to much of a leg side player.

aliaskid13 2017-11-06 18:02:27 

In reply to stone

Ambris don't impress me to much of a leg side player.

this is test cricket. It's not like if he is a dwayne smith kind of batsman. being able to score from straight balls and resisting the ones outside off stump (the ones most likely to get you out) is a hallmark of a good test batsman. The rest of them need to learn a few things from him.

TriniJam 2017-11-08 16:21:19 

Now that Ambris has rightly been selected I hope that he is not thrown into the number 3 spot. 3 is a specialist position and should really be occupied by a specialist upper order batsman such as Lil' Bravo or Evin Lewis. Ambris is scoring his runs in or around the number 6 slot and should be in the frame for this position with Blackwood and Hetmeyer. With Blackwood playing in his current headstrong manner it may be time to give him a rest until he learns to temper his obvious talent. So maybe now we should be looking at Hetmeyer or Ambris for the number 6 slot.