The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Roy Halladay, what a tragic loss!

WestDem 2017-11-07 18:02:03 

The baseball lost a true Hall of Famer at a too young age of 40! RIP Roy and thanks for the memories! sad sad

tops 2017-11-07 19:06:37 

In reply to WestDem
Yep. Even though I am not a baseball fan, I know he was a Blue Jays shock sad

Kay 2017-11-07 19:43:40 

In reply to tops

Yep ... he retired as a Jay after signing a one day contract just for the purpose...

Walco 2017-11-07 20:43:53 

In reply to WestDem

Really sad. He has young kids who now will be growing up without a father.

defeyeant 2017-11-08 14:14:29 

In reply to WestDem

Arguably the best pitcher to come up through the Jays system. When Doc was on the mound the relievers could relax cause the man going 8 or 9 innings almost every outting

SnoopDog 2017-11-08 14:22:25 

In reply to defeyeant

Yep. He would zip through his innings. The batters could never settle. Such a wonderful pitcher.

I saw something on news that suggest he was flying very close to the water at over 100mph. There is no room for error when you're flying that close to earth. Very sad.

RemainsUnknown 2017-11-08 15:42:52 

All his baseball prowess apart, this dude sounds like he was a daredevil:

In the video obtained by TMZ, the retired baseball star's ICON A5 can be seen flying close to the water before the fatal crash. A witness told TMZ that Halladay was "dramatically increasing and decreasing in elevation."

"He was flying like that all week," another witness told the gossip website. "Aggressively."

Halladay, who was 40, had owned the ICON A5 for less than a month before Tuesday's crash, and he was among the first to fly the aircraft. Halladay had tweeted that flying the ICON A5 felt "like flying a fighter jet."
Link Text

SnoopDog 2017-11-08 15:55:38 

In reply to RemainsUnknown

A long time ago I played cricket with a guy who was getting his pilot's licence. He would occasionally talk about the dangers of flying and I distinctly remember him saying that altitude is your friend up there. No pilot ever crashed their aircraft against the sky. The more altitude you have the more time you have to recover or prepare for a rough landing.

Kay 2017-11-08 15:57:17 

In reply to RemainsUnknown

Dem seh he was showing off .... sad!

Tryangle 2017-11-09 10:11:57 

I wouldn't be surprised if many professional athletes still want to experience the adrenaline rush and want to take up things like flying planes.

There was a CBS report last night that suggested there were three crashes of this particular model of jet in recent months, spurring safety concerns.

sgtdjones 2017-11-09 11:20:42 

Boston radio host mocks Roy Halladay's death, says he 'got what he deserved'

It seems like a good bet that Boston sports talk radio host Michael Felger isn’t a big believer in the notion of respecting the dead. Felger and co-host Tony Massarotti do afternoons on Boston’s 98.5 The Sports Hub. Felger spent part of Wednesday’s show mocking Roy Halladay, blaming him for his death and calling him names.

Felger decided it was important to blame someone for Halladay’s death, so he blamed Halladay, over and over again, in fact — calling him a “moron” and saying Halladay “got what he deserved.” Here’s the entire 10-minute segment captured by Awful Announcing’s Andrew Bucholtz:

Link Text

SnoopDog 2017-11-09 11:21:14 

In reply to Tryangle

I wouldn't be surprised if many professional athletes still want to experience the adrenaline rush and want to take up things like flying planes.

In fairness to Halladay his dad is a professional pilot so he grew up wanting to fly just like Pops. His playing contracts prohibited him from obtaining his pilot's licence otherwise he probably would have gotten it years ago.

A lot of news stations were showing promo vids of the company that makes the aircraft and almost all of those videos have pilots flying very close to water or ground and doing high risk maneuvers. People have said that aircraft is like jet skis with wings as it's amphibious. All the accidents so far with this aircraft were as a results of pilots flying too low to ground and water. Two of those accidents were determined to be pilot error.

sgtdjones 2017-11-09 11:28:30 

Halliday Video flying too low

Link Text

SnoopDog 2017-11-09 11:29:51 

In reply to sgtdjones

Boston radio host mocks Roy Halladay's death, says he 'got what he deserved'

If ghosts are real then this guy should be getting his fair share of haunting on a nightly basis. lol