The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Any sugar cane experts here?

SirGarny 2017-11-09 17:30:06 

I've been trying my hand at it for about 5 years now but still haven't mastered the art. Some say to plant it flat..others almost vertical...

I've tried both with mixed results.....I'm in Florida (zone 9 to be exact)and the soil here is sandy. I've mixed in compost and leaves to give the soil some body...

but most of the cane is thin..about the size of an adult's thumb...Originally they were as thick as a cricket bat handle

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Dan_De_Lyan 2017-11-09 17:54:01 

In reply to SirGarny

A well-drained, sunny location is desirable; the more sun the better. Sugarcane planted in partially shaded areas will be stunted in growth

link

sgtdjones 2017-11-09 18:09:27 

Nitrogen,Phosphorus,Potassium are key ingredients

When the soil pH drops below 5.5 phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, potassium and molybdenum availability declines. At pH levels above 7.5, zinc, manganese and iron can become deficient.
Liming is essential for the production of high yielding crops on acid soils.

In Trinidad, we would get Urea from the sugar mill at Usine Ste Madeleine Company in 200lb bags

Plant it vertical, the stalk will start to grow, water every second day. Then get some urea and sprinkle it around the roots.

That was all we did on about 20 acres.

Good luck

Dan_De_Lyan 2017-11-09 18:17:45 

In reply to sgtdjones

Liming is essential

I did noticed in TT, people hang around the sugar cane fields

sgtdjones 2017-11-09 23:23:12 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

lol lol lol

sgtdjones 2017-11-09 23:23:14 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

lol lol lol

SirGarny 2017-11-10 09:16:13 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

Thanks for the info and the joke!!

big grin big grin

SirGarny 2017-11-10 10:12:38 

In reply to sgtdjones

Plant it vertical, the stalk will start to grow, water every second day. Then get some urea and sprinkle it around the roots.

The bottom or the top piece? I've seen people harvest the cane and vertically replant the top, leafy stalk......I've seen the vertical planting of the bottom piece as well

any idea which of the 2 is more effective?

cricketest 2017-11-10 11:02:10 

plant it slanted. about 3 inches deep, cut it between two joints.

sgtdjones 2017-11-10 11:09:15 

In reply to SirGarny

We planted the bottom piece vertically, in about 4 inches of soil.

Any piece of sugar cane if cut an inch below the joints, and planted in about 4 inches of soil and watered will grow.

Cut the top leafy part back down to an inch below the first joint and it will grow.We would save those pieces to replant.

Plant the cuttings about 18 inches apart.

Tryangle 2017-11-10 11:47:22 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

Good one! lol lol

My father was able to grow a few stalks in our old backyard several years ago - considering our winters can be quite damp and relatively chilly, I'm impressed.

camos 2017-11-10 12:00:27 

In reply to SirGarny

6you get far better results by planting flat about 4 inches deep,sandy soil is not ideal but give it a try.

SirGarny 2017-11-10 13:28:43 

In reply to camos

Thanks Camos...most of the back yard is planted flat, at the recommendation of a local Cuban immigrant....seems like only the Jamaicans believe in the vertical method....

smile smile big grin

Dan_De_Lyan 2017-11-10 21:28:51 

In reply to sgtdjones

Guyana Sugar uses Urea, and a shell mix called Aragonite.
After harvesting, the fields are flooded and it kept like that for about 6 months.
Guess it refreshes the land with minerals and nutrients

YOU MUST ADD HUMUS big grin

Aragonite is a carbonate mineral, one of the two most common, naturally occurring, crystal forms of calcium carbonate, CaCO3 (the other forms being the minerals calcite and vaterite). It is formed by biological and physical processes, including precipitation from marine and freshwater environments.