The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

What makes a wise man?

sgtdjones 2017-11-14 10:45:47 

Such a good question.

Mainly because a man in folly could be wiser than the most noted philosophers. Case and point, Diogenes of Sinop.
The most foolish man to ever live, yet revered by rulers of the world. For though he may be foolish…lol he was always right! He was also satisfied. I dont agree with his style, but the more you study him the more you laugh.

Diogenes of Sinope (c. 404-323 BCE) was a Greek Cynic philosopher best known for holding a lantern (or candle) to the faces of the citizens of Athens claiming he was searching for an honest man

When Alexander the Great rode down to visit Diogenes in his barrel, he offered Diogenes any gift of his choice. With a scowl, Diogenes snapped back his response: "What you've taken away, you can never give me."

"Huh?" said Alex.

"You're standing in my sun."

sgtdjones 2017-11-14 10:48:00 

Comments

Marshal Ironsides, I've been alive for 47 years and I've been paying attention.

It starts when you drop all pretenses about having wisdom. It continues when you realize that you know nothing. It peaks when you learn to keep your mouth shut. Thanks for destroying my "wise man" status. I needed that.

Sharon Noble, M.A. English Literature

A man who listens more than he speaks

Kay 2017-11-14 10:50:23 

A rank fool who can ascend to the highest office in the free world....

sgtdjones 2017-11-14 10:54:51 

In reply to Kay

hahahaha

Beautiful

razz razz razz razz

Devin 2017-11-14 12:11:56 

Silent observation. Reading facial expressions/body language. The ability to be fair, rational, impartial, and compassionate.

XFactor 2017-11-14 12:56:37 

In reply to sgtdjones

Solomon's model - seek and know the truth and you will be wise.

Have the truth and you'll make Solomonic decisions.