The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Andrew Mason show this evening and Captains

openning 2017-11-14 18:50:38 

Winston Benjamin said, he will serve West Indies better as a batsman and bowler.
The role as a captain is obsolete as far as I am concern, cricket is the only sport that continue with this archaic role.
Why not look at the models, of other team sports, and move away from one player making decisions in real time?

WestDem 2017-11-14 19:16:22 

In reply to openning

Winston Benjamin don’t even know why he is where he is, just anodda ignorant claim without any support to back it up! Why does cricket always have to look at other sports?

Cricket is unique fcuk face! It is not just a game, it’s a culture and being led by a Captain is better than being led by someone in de pavilion! Can you imagine Holder trying to figure out Law at Melbourne? lol lol

openning 2017-11-14 19:28:11 

In reply to WestDem
Dude, you will die like the Dinosaur, if you don't look at best pratices.
During the range of our best teams, we had a coach a GM and a few others, today you have a management team with technology.
If cricket was so unique, Gayle and other's bats will be like the one's used in the 70's.
Bro, lets get into this century, and look ahead to new technology.
I saw your smileys, but this is something that grab me years ago, when Dhoni returned after lunch, during a series.
If you watch India play, check the number of times between overs, where someone is on the field.

WestDem 2017-11-14 20:00:31 

In reply to openning

Close but no candy yet! Who do you think is best articulated to be a leader of the WI team from the Dresing room? I know for a fact Law cannot be that person!

The other big questions are : will every player look at the dressing room after every delivery and de coach have to flash 11 different signs? The players on the field should all turn to robots?

openning 2017-11-14 20:11:57 

In reply to WestDem
The Captain would still be the one delegated to carry on the decisions instructed by the coaching staff.
You as a fan sees a batsman, errors in Real time, getting the message out to the captain and getting him the field, even though the batsman may be in for hours is so important.
In basketball and football, teams calls time out to reset, in soccer players fake injuries to get a reset from the HC.
I think captains should not be in-charge of the game.

WestDem 2017-11-14 20:21:35 

In reply to openning

What it the name of the captain of the Edmonton Oilers this year?

sgtdjones 2017-11-14 20:42:47 

In reply to WestDem

Cussbud.

Oilers name Connor McDavid captain
19-year-old is youngest player in NHL history to get honor.

He is one of the stars in the NHL with tremendous skills and leadership ability.

Please don't insult this player by comparing him to any at CWI?

cool cool cool

openning 2017-11-14 21:34:40 

In reply to WestDem
I dont know, and the only captain the oilers had, was Wayne
You got the nerve to bring the enemy to this post.
Bro, as a Calgarian, them Norther people are our opponents.

natty_forever 2017-11-15 07:13:14 

The thing is all sports have a captain, what there role are varies from discipline to discipline, making technological advancement has nothing to do with there being a captain. In fact it should enhance the captain.

openning 2017-11-15 12:38:54 

In reply to natty_forever

You guys are stuck in the old archaic way of a captain in cricket.
Can you tells us, which other sport that a captain make all on-field decision?
Umpires used to make all decisions, now they are challenge with technology
A coach used to walk with a chart during a game, now he can watch frames of a batsman and bowlers

Narper 2017-11-15 13:06:02 

In reply to openning

You have been making this point for a while now. It makes a lot of sense. Why don't you write ICC cricket committee and make your suggestion. Is Mikey Holding still on the cricket committee?

I believe allowing direct input from the coach in real time on the field of play must be sanctioned by ICC. Currently we know messages are sent. But that is slow for the modern cricket game and especially for the limited overs formats.

I remember many years ago in a ICC WC cup in England ICC didn't permit the use of microphones where the coach could have communicated with players on the field