The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

God vs Science

nick2020 2017-11-15 09:16:33 

God was once approached by a scientist who said, “Listen God, we’ve decided we don’t need you anymore. These days we can clone people, transplant organs and do all sorts of things that used to be considered miraculous.”

God replied, “Don’t need me huh? How about we put your theory to the test. Why don’t we have a competition to see who can make a human being, say, a male human being.”
The scientist agrees, so God declares they should do it like he did in the good old days when he created Adam.

“Fine” says the scientist as he bends down to scoop up a handful of dirt.”
“Whoa!” says God, shaking his head in disapproval. “Not so fast. You get your own dirt.”

bravos 2017-11-15 09:59:33 

In reply to nick2020

Pathetic and flawed in so many ways..But let's leave it there.

Good luck with your magic clay......It must be fun living in LaLa Land..

steveo 2017-11-15 10:04:35 

In reply to nick2020

“Not so fast. You get your own dirt.”

I support God in this case, lets see how smart he is to make his own dirt!

Serious now, I am sure if climate change was a religious issue, there would be more done about it vs it being a scientific issue

Shows how useful religion can be...I am thinking of starting one

Kay 2017-11-15 10:08:16 

God win dat round hands down and prove he can be down to earth too... smile

black 2017-11-15 10:09:01 

In reply to bravos

lol lol lol

bravos 2017-11-15 10:17:14 

In reply to Kay

Lol is it returns sale day at the bakery today?!

bravos 2017-11-15 10:17:58 

In reply to black

Nick's making it real easy these days..

SnoopDog 2017-11-15 10:23:14 

In reply to steveo

I support God in this case, lets see how smart he is to make his own dirt!

The scientist can simply make his own God. wink

They are all man made anyway. big grin

steveo 2017-11-15 10:28:36 

In reply to SnoopDog

Typical douche lawyer move evil

SnoopDog 2017-11-15 10:29:00 

In reply to steveo

lol lol lol

bravos 2017-11-15 10:36:49 

In reply to Steveo SnoopDog

smile smile

nick2020 2017-11-15 12:43:49 

In reply to bravos

You should try out boxers and get rid of the tighty whities.

nick2020 2017-11-15 12:44:18 

In reply to Kay

lol

bravos 2017-11-15 12:51:53 

In reply to nick2020

I have very interesting underwear...even some silk ones with bunnies on them...

I don't do 'Y' fronts,strange that you would bring that up,you strike me as a Y fronts guy,do you also wear sock suspenders btw? You seem to be the one in a constant bind,lol..

Outswinger 2017-11-15 14:11:16 

In reply to bravos

Really? Well, I refer you to the Book Of Job chapter 38. See if you can answer any of God's questions. Take your time.

conman 2017-11-15 14:19:36 

In reply to Outswinger

how do you know those are gods questions?

bravos 2017-11-15 14:38:47 

In reply to Outswinger

Really? Well, I refer you to the Book Of Job chapter 38. See if you can answer any of God's questions. Take your time.

The same god that in another passage ordered you to scorn your mother and sister and burn objects that come into contact with them?

Padna no thanks,not in the mood for another exercise in intellectual retardation..

My only advice to you would be take off your blinders and start living,start really trying to make a change by making a tangible difference,your archaic book of fables have no place or relevance today other than in the ancient literature or the fiction aisle.

Byeeee now...

Outswinger 2017-11-15 15:42:03 

In reply to conman

Because it is His testimony.

Outswinger 2017-11-15 15:43:33 

In reply to bravos

I take your answer to be a 'no'. And what passage do you refer to here about scorning mothers and sisters? Thanks.

Outswinger 2017-11-15 15:58:48 

In reply to bravos

By the way, you accuse God of requiring people to scorn their mothers and sisters. In the 5th commandment, He requires everyone to 'HONOUR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER THAT YOUR DAYS MAY BE LONG IN THE LAND....' which is the only command with a promise. This is at variance with any misunderstood passage you are referring to but I'd still like to know where it is, what is the reference you are using for this accusation. Thanks.

powen001 2017-11-15 16:34:15 

In reply to Outswinger

you got that much time? smile

The same brothers here apply logic and connecting the dots...

BUT when it comes to the BIBLE ...that they have never read...or even tried to understand they are the Professors on all things GOD.

So as it says in the word...avoid vain disputations.

...every knee will bow and every tongue confess.

black 2017-11-15 16:39:11 

In reply to powen001

.every knee will bow and every tongue confess

They did a good job on you. lol

Slap
lol lol lol

nick2020 2017-11-15 17:54:01 

In reply to bravos

Well it's a joke.

Loosen your tie.

bravos 2017-11-15 19:25:42 

In reply to nick2020

I know...so is mine.. razz

You bring out some real hopeless proponents and enablers...

I gone...wink

Black take ova!!

powen001 2017-11-15 19:43:35 

In reply to black

lol lol lol

i am confident I get the last laugh big grin

birdseye 2017-11-15 20:33:37 

Christ painting by Leonardo da Vinci sells for record $450M

Jesus Christ

bravos 2017-11-15 20:48:24 

In reply to birdseye

It's all about the money..

I know the church would,but wonder if Christ would've approved.. confused

Halliwell 2017-11-16 04:54:19 

Is this thread Science vs The God of the Bible?

Or just any god v science

Need to be sure of the ground rules on behalf of steveo and snoopy

steveo 2017-11-16 08:28:39 

In reply to birdseye

Art pricing is a major, major scam, has nothing to do with the actual work. Its just another way the super rich have invented to not pay taxes

googley 2017-11-16 09:38:17 

who made science? cool

conman 2017-11-16 12:58:20 

In reply to Outswinger

Because it is His testimony.

how do you know this?

steveo 2017-11-16 14:21:46 

Guys I just found this on youtube, its could not be more suited for this thread

bravos 2017-11-16 14:56:54 

In reply to googley

Who made god?

black 2017-11-16 15:00:17 

In reply to bravos

You know God created himself. lol lol lol

nitro 2017-11-16 15:13:02 

In reply to bravos

Link Text

bravos 2017-11-16 15:29:06 

In reply to nitro

Not bad and not conclusive and still opinions based on no evidence.

So we continue.

conman 2017-11-16 15:29:08 

In reply to nitro

God has no need to have been created, since He exists either outside time

That literally sounds like nonsense

bravos 2017-11-16 15:29:16 

In reply to black

Yup! wink

Outswinger 2017-11-16 15:55:28 

In reply to conman

You would not understand. Such things are spiritually discerned.

You so-called 'science' guys believe in the Big Bang Theory, But if fails on your own rules; believe in evolution but do not have any ecumenical evidence of transmutation of species; cannot explain if man evolved from the ape, why we still have apes; you ride in an aeroplane but do not know if there will be atmosphere ahead to bear up the plane of if it will fall out of the sky, i.e. you depend on God! say you do not believe in anything unless you can see and touch it. A scientist once ridiculed a priest for believing in God - called it superstition; said he does not believe in anything he cannot see and/or touch. The priest simply asked him if he has any brains, since he has never seen or touched them or it. He was silent the remainder of the journey.

conman 2017-11-16 15:56:37 

In reply to Outswinger

spiritually

what is that?

conman 2017-11-16 16:00:43 

In reply to Outswinger

A scientist once ridiculed a priest for believing in God - called it superstition; said he does not believe in anything he cannot see and/or touch. The priest simply asked him if he has any brains, since he has never seen or touched them or it. He said, you imbecile, i cant see my brain but it actually is there, we can do test and even when i die you can cut my head open and find it, tell me where i can find your god .

fixed it for you

Outswinger 2017-11-16 16:04:29 

In reply to birdseye

Most of those painters used their own family and friends as models to paint the so-called pictures of Jesus and His earthly family. Those painters had no earthly idea what Jesus or the Blessed Virgin or any of the first century people looked like, or the disciples.

Those who sculpted images of the Caesars, were made to use young, muscular guys as models to make the much older Caesars look like gods who lived forever.

In other words those pieces of art, though revered, are basically a figment of someone's imagination.

Outswinger 2017-11-16 16:05:29 

In reply to conman

You are going to meet him eventually, but I am not sure you will like it.

conman 2017-11-16 16:06:34 

In reply to Outswinger

so a threat is your response?
How very christian of you

Outswinger 2017-11-16 16:08:20 

In reply to conman

BTW, the scientists still do not know how bees make honey or why cement dries hard. Scientifically understanding God is a bit much.

bravos 2017-11-16 16:11:07 

In reply to Outswinger

God loves you ent!? Lucky you!

Understand your god.

Outswinger 2017-11-16 16:12:36 

In reply to conman

It is a statement of fact, not a threat. If you are in good stead you will like it. If you deny him you will not. Take it how you like, but those are the facts.

googley 2017-11-16 16:13:49 

In reply to Outswinger

fuk, they still cyan find the solution for the common cold! lol

Outswinger 2017-11-16 16:14:17 

In reply to bravos

I am still waiting on that passage......

Outswinger 2017-11-16 16:17:44 

In reply to googley

Yuh think!

bravos 2017-11-16 16:30:57 

In reply to Outswinger

I'm getting there,being held up while I try to grasp and apply these into my daily life.

"No one who is emasculated or has his male organ cut off shall enter the assembly of the LORD.

Deuteronomy 23:1

or a hunchback or a dwarf, or one who has a defect in his eye or eczema or scabs or crushed testicles.

'Also anything with its testicles bruised or crushed or torn or cut, you shall not offer to the LORD, or sacrifice in your land.

Leviticus 22:2
I have this harmless lump about 20 yrs now from horseplay or some bike crash or sum'n in my younger days,I'm confused now see..am I worthy FATHER!!!??? FATHER AH CORNFUSE!!!

Man has bettered your god with simple compassion and care to the sick deformed and disabled,disgusting how your god would treat these people,he's worse than Trump...

And you would think they would understand a simple natural process 'designed' by your god.

'When a woman has a discharge, if her discharge in her body is blood, she shall continue in her menstrual impurity for seven days; and whoever touches her shall be unclean until evening. 'Everything also on which she lies during her menstrual impurity shall be unclean, and everything on which she sits shall be unclean. 'Anyone who touches her bed shall wash his clothes and bathe in water and be unclean until evening.

Leviticus 15:19-23

Diabolical ignorant and superstitious stuff,your religion is depraved and needs help,it's all ignorant old barbarians talking,I pity the fools who kneel to this evil,an evil that would cast them as slaves and fodder for thy king's and thy god's pleasure..

Poor self serving sheep looking for an easy way out with a once in a life time offer of eternity for the small price of living a life on lies and making donations to the cause.

conman 2017-11-16 16:35:30 

In reply to Outswinger

It is a statement of fact, not a threat. If you are in good stead you will like it. If you deny him you will not. Take it how you like, but those are the facts.

But i see no reason to believe such things, and no there are no facts here, just assertions
prove your assertions

bravos 2017-11-16 16:41:34 

And why does god need GOLD/MONEY/GIFTS all the time FFS!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

Is he that superficial and insecure?

conman 2017-11-16 16:42:02 

In reply to Outswinger

The bees have glands which secrete an enzyme. When the bees collect the nectar, it is then mixed with the enzyme in the bee's mouth. Back at the bee hive or nest, the nectar is dropped into the honeycomb. These are hexagonal shaped cells, which in the wild, the bees make themselves out of wax.

you have the freakin internet, just do some research its really not that hard
and theres a whole website dedicated to showing you how cement dries

just because YOU dont know doesnt mean it isnt known

bravos 2017-11-16 16:49:37 

Should I ignore those parts and why?

And if it's because it's the old testament should I also ignore the ten commandments of which the more sensible ones have been practiced by civilizations long before the bible.

bravos 2017-11-16 16:53:59 

The proponents of these man made lies wants us to ignore everything else and see their ill advised book as the only answer.

Even as a small child it never made sense to me,I asked myself if all those other religion people who have been so nice to me are going to hell because they did not witness the revelation,why is god so inefficient though.

Geez at least you would expect him to be able to efficiently spread his word and save billions of Asians and others from eternal damnation..

So you telling me that some of you people believe Gandhi going to hell because he wasn't a Christian? Lol 'hell' that's another big joke...

conman 2017-11-16 16:59:14 

In reply to bravos

Until Heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the law, until all is accomplished’ (Matthew 5:18 ) .

Jesus was all in favor of his dads old book

bravos 2017-11-16 17:21:23 

In reply to conman

Both characters had psychopathic tendencies.

black 2017-11-16 17:25:20 

In reply to bravos

lol lol lol

bravos 2017-11-16 17:34:24 

In reply to black

Like de outswinger get hooked outta de ground by a no brand bat? sad

Outswinger 2017-11-16 18:08:59 

In reply to bravos

I am no theologian, but I will try to answer your questions.

I'm getting there,being held up while I try to grasp and apply these into my daily life.

"No one who is emasculated or has his male organ cut off shall enter the assembly of the LORD.

Deuteronomy 23:1

or a hunchback or a dwarf, or one who has a defect in his eye or eczema or scabs or crushed testicles.

'Also anything with its testicles bruised or crushed or torn or cut, you shall not offer to the LORD, or sacrifice in your land.

Leviticus 22:2
I have this harmless lump about 20 yrs now from horseplay or some bike crash or sum'n in my younger days,I'm confused now see..am I worthy FATHER!!!??? FATHER AH CORNFUSE!!!

Man has bettered your god with simple compassion and care to the sick deformed and disabled,disgusting how your god would treat these people,he's worse than Trump...

And you would think they would understand a simple natural process 'designed' by your god.

'When a woman has a discharge, if her discharge in her body is blood, she shall continue in her menstrual impurity for seven days; and whoever touches her shall be unclean until evening. 'Everything also on which she lies during her menstrual impurity shall be unclean, and everything on which she sits shall be unclean. 'Anyone who touches her bed shall wash his clothes and bathe in water and be unclean until evening.

Leviticus 15:19-23

Diabolical ignorant and superstitious stuff,your religion is depraved and needs help,it's all ignorant old barbarians talking,I pity the fools who kneel to this evil,an evil that would cast them as slaves and fodder for thy king's and thy god's pleasure..

Poor self serving sheep looking for an easy way out with a once in a life time offer at eternity for the small price of living a life on lies and making donations to the cause.

The ceremonial laws of Leviticus and Deuteronomy were applied for Old Testament Israel but have been abolished by Christ, except for the ten commandments.These things pointed to uncleanness, or some imperfection that was established to show the holiness of God. These laws applied to Israel only so they do NOT would not have applied to you unless you were one of them; and as I stated, since Christ they have been abolished, so still do not apply to you or me.

In that scenario, God commanded that those males of Aaron's descent(the Levites), were not to come through the veil to the Holy of Holies, or approach the altar to offer edible gifts to God if they had the blemishes you mentioned such as crushed testicles. Then this was extended to all Israel. But this had again to do with offering burnt offerings. Jesus Christ has replaced burnt offerings as the perfect sacrifice now so these laws are no longer to be observed nor do they apply to us.

But some of your references are about the animals of sacrifices. The blood sacrifices (lambs, goats, bullocks) were to be unblemished; people were not supposed to offer to God the dregs, so to speak, but were to offer the best because it was God who had blessed them to have anything at all. Therefore you are a bit out of context here.

"he's worse than Trump". Well you are forgetting whom it was who healed the lame, the sick, the dumb, the deaf, even raised the dead in the New Testament - the same God. He showed he was actually a God of Mercy and love. HE made the dumb to speak, the deaf to hear, healed people of leprosy, palsy, evil spirits, raised Jairus' daughter, lazarus, fed the 4000, fed the 5000 and gave his very life to save mankind, at least those who would call upon Him. Even the woman who had an issue of blood touched His garment and was healed of it, to which Jesus told her that her faith had made her whole.

So you are incorrect in your assessment, as the restrictions applied to offering at the altar, or to the quality of animals offered in the burnt offering and so on. Read it for yourself again, but read to whole thing on that subject so that you get the full picture. You do not have to take my word for it.

Seechy 2017-11-16 18:36:20 

In reply to Outswinger

Lol you're rather deluded dude. You need put down your bible and actually read a science book and learn about the laws of the Universe, because you are clearly confused.

You so-called 'science' guys believe in the Big Bang Theory, But if fails on your own rules

The Big Bang Theory is the current prevailing theory to explain the beginning of the Universe and we have evidence to support this through red shift demonstrating the movement of galaxies away from one another from a single point, thus allowing us to calculate the age of the Universe to be ~13.7 billion years old....What evidence is there to suggest a god created the Universe?

believe in evolution but do not have any ecumenical evidence of transmutation of species

Evolution is a proven the model, it is defined by the change in allele frequency over time explaining the change of heritable traits over generations and as a result of thousands of years of evolution you get speciation (when biological populations become distinct species). There is tons of evidence for evolution just go out and look for it yourself - I suggest you read Darwin's Origin of Species or go to a museum and examine the fossils of ancient human ancestors, such as homo erectus and home habilis and you will see for yourself the evolution of species.......what evidence is there to suggest a god created us?

cannot explain if man evolved from the ape, why we still have apes

This clearly demonstrates your lack of understanding of the evolution of our species - a process which has occurred over millions of years. Apes are a distant common ancestor that all homo sapiens (modern humans) and ancient species of humans share. If you trace our evolutionary lineage back to our origins you will see that we emerged from a small group of ape-like species in East Africa, and from there we dispersed across the globe and superseded other species of the homo genus because we evolved and adapted to our environment better. Just because we emerged from a single species of apes it doesn't means all other ape species that exist today should be extinct - they are like our cousins - they persisted within their environments and were not out-competed

you ride in an aeroplane but do not know if there will be atmosphere ahead to bear up the plane of if it will fall out of the sky, i.e. you depend on God!

Now this is just plain stupidity but I shall take the time to explain this to you as well rolleyes
We all studied physics at school (well I can't speak for yourself). The plane's engines move it forward at high speed. That makes air flow rapidly over the wings, which throw the air down toward the ground, generating an upward force called lift that overcomes the plane's weight and holds it in the sky...The wings force the air downward and that pushes the plane upward. Planes generally stay in the air because pilots don't exceed altitudes beyond which the plane cannot fly. A constant driving force will keep keep the plane in the air - there is no "god" at work here, is there?.

There is a reason we believe in all these things and it's because they are facts, supported by evidence throughout history or can be demonstrated through the scientific method, peer-reviewed, tested and re-tested and only then are they are accepted as fact.......You choose to ignore all these facts because of your poisonous doctrine. What evidence do you have to show for your god?

wink

Outswinger 2017-11-16 18:45:44 

In reply to Seechy

Everything in this universe was Created by God. Even the air you mention. Thanks.

Seechy 2017-11-16 18:59:15 

In reply to Outswinger

Can you prove that an imaginary wizard in the sky conjured everything that exists? Or rather than attributing everything to your god, can you not just say that you do not know?

Thanks.

bravos 2017-11-16 19:04:15 

In reply to Outswinger

Your god can't even protect the faithful at his house of worship.

Your god is useless,in reality you know not any god,you are deluded..

I don't have time,you need two bull pistle to straighten you out....you will see stars and angels too.

Outswinger 2017-11-16 19:08:25 

In reply to Seechy

God is not a lab specimen.

Outswinger 2017-11-16 19:11:08 

In reply to bravos

I'll pray for you.

bravos 2017-11-16 19:12:48 

In reply to Outswinger

Your prayers are useless and a waste of time..

bravos 2017-11-16 19:14:21 

In reply to Outswinger

Proponents of your lying religion have raped plundered maimed and murdered in the name of your god.

You are nothing but a slave in their eyes..

"Slaves, obey thy earthly masters with fear and trembling, in sincerity of your heart as to Christ"

Outswinger 2017-11-16 19:14:47 

In reply to bravos

That is for God to decide.

bravos 2017-11-16 19:17:14 

In reply to Outswinger

No god cares about you and your trivial petty personal issues,you are nothing and no more entitled to this land than any other earthly creature..

Outswinger 2017-11-16 19:19:43 

In reply to bravos

I did not make any claims. And I trust God, rather than you.

Seechy 2017-11-16 19:23:45 

In reply to Outswinger

God is not a lab specimen

That is not my point. My point is that you have made a claim about your god, so the burden of proof is on YOU. If you cannot support your claim with evidence then there is no reason for me to believe that your claim is true.

Outswinger 2017-11-16 19:46:49 

In reply to Seechy

I need to prove nothing. You are requiring proof in order to believe. That is your baby. The words of Jesus Christ are good enough for me. I seek nothing more. You on the other hand are on a different plane. You can call me what you wish, but it changes nothing. One of us is right and one of us is wrong. If there is no god, then you are no better-off than me. On the other hand, if I am right, you are in serious trouble. Again, no threat or anything sinister, just a statement as I see things.

Seechy 2017-11-16 20:32:35 

In reply to Outswinger

Alrighty then. We can agree to disagree. You can carry on believing in your fairy tales if you feel that is the best path for you. It's just a shame that you're not willing, nor able, to open up your mind a little to see reason and perhaps even question your own beliefs rather than falling for a load of nonsense in some old book. Why is it in Jesus Christ you believe anyway and not in any of the other thousands of gods people claim exist?

If there is no god, then you are no better-off than me. On the other hand, if I am right, you are in serious trouble

I am actually better off than you right now and that is what counts because I am living life to the fullest rather than living life fearing that I will be judged your god. This is the one life we get to live, so best make the most of it.

bravos 2017-11-16 20:33:24 

In reply to Outswinger

Keep fighting your fight,but the difference between Atheism and Christianity is that atheism goes one religion further,just as you are atheistic to other religions which you condemn,there are people that are atheistic to yours also,and rightly so..

Good luck but stop to think that you may be wrong and stop to think about the level of deceit that would make a reasonable human being stoop to lies.

You may happily apply that logic to Hinduism,Islam or Buddhism to name a few,just apply it to your god story too for a second and see the instant clarity..

By all means do what makes you happy within the law,but we are not interested in your ancient tales and deity and idol worship..

You people so twisted that you talk about idol worship yet you worship a disgusting cross of execution and other idols,make up your mind or continue shifting the goal post,but time reason and knowledge will tell.The same principles of censure and mind control adopted by slave masters is the same principles your religion support,seek no knowledge or enlightenment we are your only light and hope.

Had our species not advanced as it has with communication and information delivery some charlatan would have already fashioned a 'Revised Testament' by now,but they can't because eyes of reason and progress are on them, so your religion is stuck in times of darkness when it was fashioned and can only seem reasonable in such darkness with no hope of forward and positive movement.

In other words the average gay hooker of today will likely offer more compassion to a random sick or deformed human being than you almighty savior as represented by his teaching,the same god that created shim in the first place.

The conflict and irony is glaring appalling and unfortunate,there can be no human progress if we are to really follow what your god story teaches.

Maybe it did well at some point to reign in barbarians and control the weak such as yourself,but the time has come to release the shackles and start really living before it's too late,time to fess up and take responsibility for your destiny by your real life daily actions,and not by some ill advised false timeline of human beginnings and progress.

Again good luck,I will have high hopes and best wishes for you.

bravos 2017-11-16 20:36:34 

In reply to Outswinger

I did not make any claims. And I trust God, rather than you.

You trust him not to get killed in church or just after praying,or is that some convenient badge of honor now confused

Your god works in mysterious ways I know..

nick2020 2017-11-17 04:11:27 

In reply to bravos

For what little it is worth

You keep conflating religion and a Creator. I know you know the difference so I think you prefer to rant about the fairy tales in books.

There are a few notable scientists who believe in a Creator. But again you prefer to fight the fairy tales in books in order to avoid that discussion. I guess that other discussion is like a whimp at the playground. Easy pickings.

It is equally silly to believe there are virgins waiting for a suicide bomber and that we magically just came to be.

bravos 2017-11-17 08:06:15 

In reply to nick2020

And I think you conflating my conflation.

I don't even have the time right now but what I can say is I claim to know no god and congrats to you if you think you do..

The real 'test' may be living without the sense of entitlement and constantly asking for some self serving favor for you and yours .

Seechy 2017-11-17 08:56:26 

In reply to nick2020

But again you prefer to fight the fairy tales in books in order to avoid that discussion.

Oh we can definitely have that discussion if the theists are able to reciprocate. I think it's the theists here whom are trying to avoid the discussion.

Because the logic applies to both religion as well as a hypothetical "creator". Anyone who claims that either is true, yet they have no way of demonstrating it, then the conversation ends right there. If they have no way to demonstrate their beliefs then they're admitting that they don't care about the truth and they don't care about having good standards of coming to what they believe. We appreciate that anyone is entitled to believe whatever the hell they want, but they must have good reason to believe it or else no one would take them seriously. I wouldn't just go around saying I believe unicorns or fairies exist because I have no way of demonstrating these claims are true - that would mean I would be believing in something without evidence, which is irrational. It's not that we're saying what theists believe is wrong, it's just that they're demonstrating that they're irrational and by their own arguments and own admissions admit that they should not believe this because they don't have enough reason to.....yet they continue believe. That's where we are saying they're wrong. Theists and religious folk alike should be more skeptical about their beliefs and see it from both sides of the fence.

bravos 2017-11-17 09:19:01 

In reply to Seechy

#Seechy! cool

Seechy 2017-11-17 09:45:23 

In reply to bravos

Reppin' bro, reppin! wink

black 2017-11-17 09:45:27 

In reply to Seechy

Unicorns are not real? Damn!!! lol

black 2017-11-17 09:51:07 

In reply to Seechy

Santa is not real? I wanted a BMW for Christmas.

Darn it!!! lol

nitro 2017-11-17 11:57:17 

In reply to black

Isn't Christmas a Christian event?

Seechy 2017-11-17 12:37:01 

In reply to nitro

To a lot of people Christmas is seen as a secular holiday for non-Christians and it can also be seen as a religious holiday for Christians.

There are all the secular traditions associated with Christmas (The idea of Santa/elves/reindeer, exchanging presents, Christmas trees, snow and ice, some Christmas carols, gathering with family, drinking and eating, etc.) - These are generally the things children and adults enjoy about Christmas.

Then there are the religious traditions associated with Christmas (The supposed celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, midnight mass, some Christmas carols, the nativity scene, etc.).

So there really is no issue with a non-believer or non-Christian celebrating Christmas as it's not a holiday just for Christians.

black 2017-11-17 12:42:35 

In reply to nitro

Who said it was not?

nitro 2017-11-17 13:24:43 

In reply to black

Just curious as there are a few annual Christmas dinner threads on this MB by people who do not believe in Christ.

nitro 2017-11-17 13:27:14 

In reply to Seechy

I get that but there is one main thing associated with Christmas.

bravos 2017-11-17 15:54:29 

In reply to nitro

I get that but there is one main thing associated with Christmas.

Which one..

Alcohol ?

Food?

Merchandise?

Santa and the reindeer?

Extra pounds?

I can't wait,love me some pagan holidays!!

nick2020 2017-11-17 17:08:22 

In reply to Seechy

Do you believe in E = mC2?

Seechy 2017-11-17 17:31:05 

In reply to nick2020

Do you believe in E = mC2?

What do you mean do I believe it?

Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared is the most famous equation in history.

nick2020 2017-11-17 17:35:34 

In reply to Seechy

Right. Do you believe in it to be true?

The mass energy equivalence equation?

Seechy 2017-11-17 17:46:02 

In reply to nick2020

Yes of course. It can be demonstrated by inputting values into the formula.

Why would someone believe it not to be true?

nick2020 2017-11-17 17:53:06 

In reply to Seechy

Excellent. Now bear with me.

nick2020 2017-11-17 17:59:38 

In reply to Seechy

The guy who came up with that mass energy equivalence equation believed in god.

Now it would be fallacy for me to say "because Einstein believed in god there must be a god". No that is not where I am going with this.

However, I do wonder how you and others resolve the fact that a few notable fathers (and mothers) of modern science did believe in god. A creator.

Look I am a live and let live person. You do not believe in x? Well that is your belief system and I am not here to change it but the thing that I do not understand is the perception of people who believe in god by the atheist.

Because the logic applies to both religion as well as a hypothetical "creator". Anyone who claims that either is true, yet they have no way of demonstrating it, then the conversation ends right there. If they have no way to demonstrate their beliefs then they're admitting that they don't care about the truth and they don't care about having good standards of coming to what they believe. We appreciate that anyone is entitled to believe whatever the hell they want, but they must have good reason to believe it or else no one would take them seriously. I wouldn't just go around saying I believe unicorns or fairies exist because I have no way of demonstrating these claims are true - that would mean I would be believing in something without evidence, which is irrational. It's not that we're saying what theists believe is wrong, it's just that they're demonstrating that they're irrational and by their own arguments and own admissions admit that they should not believe this because they don't have enough reason to.....yet they continue believe. That's where we are saying they're wrong. Theists and religious folk alike should be more skeptical about their beliefs and see it from both sides of the fence.

You said this in that quote:

1. People who believe in god (the people who have no way to demonstrate their beliefs) do not care about the truth.

2. People who believe in god are irrational.

Would you say that describes Albert? Irrational? Does not care about the truth? And mind you, Albert was not the only one.

black 2017-11-17 18:09:59 

In reply to nick2020

What is your point? You want him to believe in God because Einstein believed in God?

His premise is the the evidence has not been demonstrated, not even Einstein could have done that.

bravos 2017-11-17 18:23:52 

In reply to black

nickenstien has spoken.. rolleyes

bravos 2017-11-17 18:24:38 

In reply to nick2020

That's a lie btw..

You want to hear it from Hitchens? rolleyes

black 2017-11-17 18:31:15 

In reply to bravos

lol lol lol

nick2020 2017-11-17 18:31:16 

In reply to bravos

What is a lie?

nick2020 2017-11-17 18:33:45 

In reply to black

I want him to find comfort in whatever he believes.

Unlike yourself I am equally fine with someone believing in 72 virgins, reincarnation, or nothing whatsoever.

Just don't pretend this has anything to do with logic or lack thereof.

Seechy 2017-11-17 18:34:32 

In reply to nick2020

The guy who came up with that mass energy equivalence equation believed in god.

You are right that there may be a few scientists out there who still believe in a god or a creator of some sort -
Einstein certainly was not one of them; he was more of a religious non-believer. So I don't know how you could make your claim that he "believed in god" as well as not defining what god he believed in.

Would you say that describes Albert? Irrational? Does not care about the truth? And mind you, Albert was not the only one.

Seeing as the evidence suggests that Einstein was not a theist, your logic here is still flawed. But I will take your argument and replace Albert with all other theistic scientist out there and I still hold the view that they are irrational and don't care about the truth. I have colleagues at work who are Muslim, they are excellent scientists in their own right, but it is their belief system which is flawed and it is religion which has done that. They were born into their religious doctrines and are unable to escape the hold it has on them, which is quite unfortunate. Having said that, religion and their belief in a god has not hindered their ability to think logically and rationally when it comes to their scientific work, so that does not bother me.

nick2020 2017-11-17 18:51:53 

In reply to Seechy

he was more of a religious non-believer.

That is untrue. The opening paragraph clearly does not support that:

Albert Einstein's religious views have been widely studied and often misunderstood.[1] Einstein stated that he believed in the pantheistic God of Baruch Spinoza.[2] He did not believe in a personal God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings, a view which he described as naïve.[3] He clarified however that, "I am not an atheist",[4] preferring to call himself an agnostic,[5] or a "religious nonbeliever."[3] Einstein also stated he did not believe in life after death, adding "one life is enough for me.

Pantheism

Pantheism is the belief that all reality is identical with divinity,[1] or that everything composes an all-encompassing, immanent god.[2] Pantheists do not believe in a distinct personal or anthropomorphic god[3] and hold a broad range of doctrines differing with regards to the forms of and relationships between divinity and reality.[4]

nick2020 2017-11-17 18:53:52 

In reply to Seechy

He is not a religious non-believer. To be honest that is a contraction. To put it in your terms he was more a non-religious "believer".

Seechy 2017-11-17 18:59:21 

In reply to nick2020

It was recently revealed that, toward the end of his life, Albert Einstein wrote a letter in which he dismissed belief in God as superstitious and characterized the stories in the Bible as childish.

The evidence clearly points to him being a non-believer, he said so himself - check whatever source you want.

nick2020 2017-11-17 19:01:46 

In reply to Seechy

So I don't know how you could make your claim that he "believed in god" as well as not defining what god he believed in.

Seechy I implore to read about Einstein. That is EXACTLY it; he did not believe in a specific God.

Einstein expressed his skepticism regarding the existence of an anthropomorphic God, such as the God of Abrahamic religions, often describing this view as "naïve"[3] and "childlike".[11] In a 1947 letter he stated, "It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously."[12] In a letter to Beatrice Frohlich on 17 December 1952, Einstein stated, "The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naïve."[13]

And to be honest this is where the discussion goes wrong. Religion is about an ark that magically held every creature on earth. Or Pandora's Box. Or any other story that was made to personalize a creator to that civilization. This is why there are no penguins or polar bears in the christian Bible; just lots of animals very specific to that region and civilization.

A creator is the foundation of how we came to existence. Our human minds then flavour how they see fit.

nick2020 2017-11-17 19:02:21 

In reply to Seechy

Why are you abandoning the source you started it?

Wikipedia, the source you went with to say I was untrue, said this:

Einstein stated that he believed in the pantheistic God of Baruch Spinoza.

Is Wikipedia incorrect?

nick2020 2017-11-17 19:13:46 

In reply to Seechy

You are right that there may be a few scientists out there who still believe in a god or a creator of some sort -
Einstein certainly was not one of them;

Of course we do not have to stay stuck on Einstein as we could go onto the next guy like Georges Lemaître

Seechy 2017-11-17 19:14:33 

In reply to nick2020

Why are you abandoning the source you started it?

Ah yeah my bad for using Wikipedia as a source in the first place knowing that anyone can write some spiel in it.

Anyway, check out what Dawkins said about Einstein.

Seechy 2017-11-17 19:17:43 

In reply to nick2020

A creator is the foundation of how we came to existence. Our human minds then flavour how they see fit.

We did not just "come into existence"...it took millions of years of evolution. Why do you believe a creator was required for this?

Seechy 2017-11-17 19:21:40 

In reply to nick2020

Of course we do not have to stay stuck on Einstein as we could go onto the next guy like Georges Lemaître

Well done. You have proven your point that there have been several famous scientists in the past who, at some point in their life, held a religious belief or believed in a god. That doesn't mean their beliefs were rational though.

nick2020 2017-11-17 19:31:55 

In reply to Seechy

Well done. You have proven your point that there have been several famous scientists in the past who, at some point in their life, held a religious belief or believed in a god. That doesn't mean their beliefs were rational though.

Seechy call be prophetic but I already address that point here.

Now it would be fallacy for me to say "because Einstein believed in god there must be a god". No that is not where I am going with this.

You said this in that quote:

1. People who believe in god (the people who have no way to demonstrate their beliefs) do not care about the truth.

2. People who believe in god are irrational.

That is my only point. Do not call the everyday people you meet irrational or uncaring to the truth. You certainly would not call these famous scientists those things.

You do not believe in a creator. Okay. That is your truth and you are not irrational because of it. Neither is someone who believes in a creator.

nick2020 2017-11-17 19:35:20 

In reply to Seechy

My last point is this:

Both science and creationism have the same problem: In the beginning.

You believe we are a product of a long time of evolution. Evolution from what? How did that "what" come to be? Self-creation? How did god come to be? Self-creation?

To me the equation cannot be linear; it must be circular. But I still cannot figure out how the circle got there. I will have to leave that to the smart people.

Maybe. Just maybe.

We really do not exist. That would solve everything. Or nothing.

Seechy 2017-11-17 20:03:46 

In reply to nick2020

Do not call the everyday people you meet irrational or uncaring to the truth. You certainly would not call these famous scientists those things.

I don't mean to cause offence, I am merely stating that their beliefs are irrational if they are based on fallacious reasoning. Many believe in a god because some people tell them to (fallacious appeal to authority). They believe out of fear (appeal to fear) or hope (wishful thinking). They believe because everyone they know does (appeal to popularity). In these cases, the belief in a god would be irrational and unjustified.

Seechy 2017-11-17 20:07:50 

In reply to nick2020

You believe we are a product of a long time of evolution. Evolution from what? How did that "what" come to be? Self-creation? How did god come to be? Self-creation?

Those are all brilliant questions and we should not be afraid to simply say: I don't know. There is still a lot we are yet to fully comprehend.

black 2017-11-17 20:35:49 

In reply to nick2020

There's is no comparison between the two.

No, the whole evolutionary puzzle has not be put together but science is make progress in showing the link between, our prehistoric ancestors, different species, DNA, etc....

There isn't any link to God, other than what is written in the bible.

As far as creation is concerned, it's not possible for someone to create himself.

Norm 2017-11-17 20:42:55 

In reply to black

Man, you are at it again?

You remind me of a drunk that keeps insisting that he isn't drunk! smile

No, wait. It's Nick2020's thread. Sorry, bro!

bravos 2017-11-17 20:56:36 

Oh no it's Norm!!!

Well I guess it's just the norm.

Norm 2017-11-17 21:30:11 

In reply to bravos

Oh no it's Norm!!!

Are you going to behave today, or just charge like a rabid dog?

Somehow these "God" discussions seem to reel in Black and you, anxious as ever to convince, or even cajole, others to stop believing in God or religion - simply because that is the current smart conclusion.

Would the world become a better place (whatever that might mean) if no one believed in God or religion? Would that mean that Communism, which takes exactly the same view about God and religion, is guaranteed to make the world a better place too?

nick2020 2017-11-17 21:56:25 

In reply to Seechy

we should not be afraid to simply say: I don't know.

Let us go one step further:

I don't know but maybe this is how... smile

nick2020 2017-11-17 21:57:19 

In reply to Norm

All over a joke.

Good thing I did not bother with the one about the Guyanese eating a double...

Norm 2017-11-18 00:26:53 

In reply to nick2020

All over a joke.

smile

I was wondering the same thing - how did a joke become yet another religion and God beat down?

Seechy 2017-11-18 08:12:09 

In reply to nick2020

I don't know but maybe this is how...

That's what us scientists are for wink

Kay 2017-11-18 08:26:59 

An interesting survey on the topic!!!

steveo 2017-11-18 10:57:50 

In reply to nick2020

Good thing I did not bother with the one about the Guyanese eating a double...

Hey what you saying bout Guyanese deh?

You want me to explain how Guyanese are superior to whatever dot you are from?

Everybody are in consensus Guyanese are the best, scientists, Einsteins etc

nick2020 2017-11-18 14:25:36 

In reply to steveo

Agreed cool

np 2017-11-18 21:27:15 

In reply to Outswinger

Those painters had no earthly idea what Jesus or the Blessed Virgin

It’s about time you guys stop spouting this crap ... Mary was no no blessed or blasted virgin.
She got screwed - for Jesus to be a male person. And I if I recall dem said ‘the Holy Ghost came down on her and she conceived ... how else??

Remember women have a pair of XX sex chromosome, men have XY. without a man involved and taking that virginity christ would have to be essentially female - since no Y chromosome to pair up with X to give XY (male chromosome pair).

Nothing else explains christ. And I do expect to hear that god works in miraculous ways. Well — I don’t believe that crap.

black 2017-11-18 21:47:45 

In reply to np

The reason why they said she was a virgin was to elevate Jesus to God's level. How could he be the reincarnation of God when his father (real father) was a goat herder?

It was a carefully crafted plot of lies.

nick2020 2017-11-18 22:44:36 

In reply to black

Is Jack and the beanstalk a lie?

conman 2017-11-20 08:26:48 

In reply to nick2020

I don't know but maybe this is how...

good, a hypothesis, let it go through the scientific method and see if it stands up

conman 2017-11-20 08:27:35 

In reply to black

reason to believe it was roman propaganda to influence the jews of the time