The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Sir Garfield St. Aubrun Sobers

Dukes 2018-01-21 22:46:14 

This is a CARIBBEAN cricket website, yet IGNORANCE abounds on this board when it comes to the GREATEST CRICKETER ON EARTH OR MARS, EVER.

Those of us who were blessed to see him bat, bowl and field all recognize we will never see the likes of him again. Everything he did, was done with a grace and seeming effortlessness that it seemed he could have done even more if he wanted to.

The cause of my ire was a comment from an uninformed person on this board who spoke disparagingly of him and with a dismissiveness borne out of that deadly combination of arrogance and ignorance which sadly is so pervasive in these times.

I will just mention his batting stats for the period 1958 to 1968 in the interest of brevity since many who read on this board are incapable of sustained concentration since they find it too taxing, because of their fast-food mentality.

Between 1958 and 1968 Sobers played in 53 test matches and scored 5,511 runs.That is more than 100 runs per test match.
He scored these runs while being dismissed 77 times giving him an average of 71.57. I REPEAT 71.57 over those 11 years!!!!!
He hit 19 centuries and 21 half-centuries in these 53 tests.

analyst-kid 2018-01-21 22:55:20 

Everything he did, was done with a grace and seeming effortlessness that it seemed he could have done even more if he wanted to.

I keep watching this short video of Sobers, Richards and Lara batting and can't help saying how effortlessly Sobers made batting look.

Link Text

outside_edge 2018-01-21 23:03:14 

In reply to analyst-kid

Good observation....you're on point. Goeffrey Boycott has always said that the three greatest batsmen he ever saw was Sobers, Richards and Lara.

sgtdjones 2018-01-21 23:11:07 

In reply to Dukes

I will just mention his batting stats for the period 1958 to 1968 in the interest of brevity since many who read on this board are incapable of sustained concentration since they find it too taxing, because of their fast-food mentality.

lol lol lol

Dukes 2018-01-21 23:24:52 

In reply to sgtdjones

Ah boy. Yuh think it easy??

lol lol lol lol lol

POINT 2018-01-21 23:49:54 

In reply to Dukes

I seriously doubt that Anyone can seriously challenge your statement .
What is also remarkable is that Sobers
was selected as a Bowler .

seaegg99 2018-01-22 08:46:27 

Just the walk out to the wicket was worth the ticket!

Khaga 2018-01-22 08:52:54 

In reply to seaegg99

What was the price of ticket in those days?

FuzzyWuzzy 2018-01-22 08:54:50 

In reply to Khaga

Irre facking levent

Walco 2018-01-22 09:55:17 

In reply to Dukes

Narper had a thread a while back inquiring about the most memorable shot posters had played in their cricket lives.

I never saw Sobers play cricket in person, but I am interested in the best shot you saw him play, the best ball you saw him bowl or the best catch you saw him take.

I would love to hear the same from other posters as well.

Tryangle 2018-01-22 10:00:30 

God you scared me with this topic title.

There is no doubt Sobers is a cricket immortal, part of the Mount Rushmore of international cricket players.

Anyone doubting his brilliance or importance to the sport should be dismissed without a blink.

Carry on.

openning 2018-01-22 13:13:30 

In reply to Walco
My favourite memory of watching the greatest, is Barbados vs Trinidad at the Mecca.
Some of the umpiring decision was suspicious, Sir Gary was so angry, that at the fall of Barbados last 2nd inning wicket, he was on the field, marking out his run up, the rest was history. He gave the trines a bowling clinic that evening.
As Owen Estwick stated on radio, last Saturday, " It is downright vulgar to mention or compare him, to any other cricketer".
I had a conversation with Conrad Hunte, when he visited Calgary, Conrad said they was none better, that why he was not sad or jealous when Sir Gary was made captain.

robbo 2018-01-22 13:20:03 

In reply to Dukes

They are staggering statistics... over a 10 year period.... amazing !

Star 2018-01-22 13:36:07 

In reply to Walco

I never saw Sobers play cricket in person,

You missed out on something special.

How old are you?

analyst-kid 2018-01-22 13:55:02 

In reply to openning

My most favorite recollection of Trinidad vs Barbados matches with Sobers as captain is with that famous picture:

Sobers walking off the field after his team was defeated for the first time in years around 1969-1970 at QPO and a Trini supporter putting up that placard saying:

COCKROACH AIN FRAID FOWL COCK NO MORE GARY!

Remember great men are always challenged and provide jubiliation for their opponents whenever they prevail although Sir Gary was revered in Trinidad.

Walco 2018-01-22 15:21:11 

In reply to Star

seaegg99 2018-01-22 15:27:29 

In reply to Walco

Missed him by that much!!!!!!!!!!
Remembered him cover driving to Greame Vivian(NZ), one the best fielders in cricket, Vivian picking up twice and firing in to the keeper. The third he just let it go!! The Oval nearly broke down lol

Walco 2018-01-22 15:30:49 

In reply to openning

Great stuff.

A Jamaican oldtimer who saw Sobers make the 365 Notout said to me in amazement, "Just imaging, a player scores his first test century and it's the highest score in the history of the game." This same guy said that Sobers was the only player in the history of test cricket who bowl a single over with 6 different legitimate deliveries -- a combination of pace and spin.

openning 2018-01-22 15:52:41 

In reply to Walco
I listened to that match on radio, that day horse racing was on, and would interrupt the cricket, I cannot remember if we got hear him breaking the record.
I know this thread is about the greatest, but as a boy, I always wanted Lance Gibbs fingers to be sore, when he played against Barbados, he was that good.

Walco 2018-01-22 15:59:21 

In reply to seaegg99

The Oval nearly broke down

lol lol lol Cricket is a sport that's better followed on TV than in person, but nothing can replace spectator banter at a cricket venue in the WI. Sometimes the debates and shite-talk in the stands alone is worth the price of admission smile

che 2018-01-22 16:02:15 

In reply to openning

AK fav moments is Bim defeats...yuh sight!!

Bim gats mo wins dan ressa teams together

Yuh seh AK couldn't mek HC water boys team ent

lol lol lol

Walco 2018-01-22 16:03:21 

In reply to openning

I remember that horse racing foolishness interrupting cricket and mekkin me vex. Unfortunately, I only observed Sobers and Gibbs as coaches.

goofballs 2018-01-22 16:14:26 

In reply to Dukes

Who harassing de ole man?
No doubt Sobers is the greatest cricketer who ever played the game.

The only question during their playing days (among Guyanese) was who was the better batsman, Sobers or Kanhai.
Strong lines were drawn, much more passionate than Burnham/Jagan but friendlier!

(Just reporting).

openning 2018-01-22 16:47:04 

In reply to che
I wrote about the umps tiefing out bimsters at the Mecca, and The Greatest showing them, who was encharged

goofballs: I am not from Guyana, but I listened to many arguments on that topic, as a by.

The Trinies ignore history and write about Ganga days as captain, which is so small.

anandgb 2018-01-22 17:02:45 

In reply to Dukes

I agree, My most favorite inning was when him and Kanhai both go past 150 at bourda, I think it was England.

analyst-kid 2018-01-22 17:04:37 

In reply to che

AK fav moments is Bim defeats...yuh sight!!

Back then in the 1960s Barbados used to manners Trinidad,Combined Islands and Jamaica with only Guyana really putting up resistance...so Barbados winning was no big thing.

You must remember in that famous defeat, Wes Hall played for Trinidad and gave Barbados hell.

Emir 2018-01-22 17:30:19 

[b]In reply to Dukes

This is a CARIBBEAN cricket website,

Yes, Oh Yes, Yes Yes... but will you admit a certain vocal and unapologetic bunch in here is trying to guide it into an "Indo Centric" website? And will you deny some of your "Indo" country-men see "India's as "their team."

I wonder if anyone can go in an Indian Cricket Website and show disrespect to Sachin or Gavaskar?

Dukes 2018-01-22 18:27:01 

I have so many memories of Garry Sobers.I first saw him in 1965 at Bourda vs the Australians which was my first test match.
I was totally blown away by him and I tried to imitate the way he walked, the collar turned up etc etc.He was the coolest guy I ever saw.He seemed totally at ease with the world and his cricket was as graceful as anything I ever saw.He never seemed hurried or worried and was always relaxed and having fun.

What was fascinating to me was how people like Lloyd and Fredericks hero-worshipped him.The guy was able to do everything on a cricket field.He could field in the slips and take blinders, as well as at backward short leg and take reflex catches off Gibbs with the nonchalance of a superhero.He was excellent at cover as well and could rip a return over the stumps to the keeper if he wanted and could bowl at express pace and swing the ball late.He also bowled seam up and could move the ball both ways off the wicket.He also bowled chinamen and googlies as well as orthodox.

There is a story of him playing in an exhibition match in Malaysia and a huge crowd turned up to watch him bat and he was out for a duck.He then took the new ball and took 5 wickets in his first two overs.

I remember Bourda 1968 in the final test.He had stupidly declared in Trinidad in the 4th test and the WI lost the match so he was almost persona non- grata so he was determined to make amends.He scored 152 and was 95 not out in the second innings when the last 3 wickets fell leaving him stranded.He also took 3 wickets in both innings but could not get us the win.

Of course earlier in the series in the match in Jamaica he scored an unbeaten century on a minefield of a wicket, then took the new ball and dismissed both Boycott and Cowdrey in his first over.
As a teenager against Miller and Lindwall, he opened the batting and hit 10 fours in 43 against the famous fast bowlers.
Sir Donald Bradman rated his 254 at Melbourne as the best innings against Australia that he had ever seen.
Sobers was a once in a lifetime genius, a man who according to Clive Lloyd would give you the shirt off of his back, a man who played cricket the way it should be played.
I am overjoyed that the Bajans have honored him and it is past time that all Caribbean people and all territories do the same.

Star 2018-01-22 18:36:15 

In reply to Walco
You are not 52. Why tell a lie for something as simple as that.

The math does not support that age not seeing Sir Gary.

You were nine when Sir Gary stop playing for the WI but he played some friendly games all over the place after that.

sgtdjones 2018-01-22 19:43:30 

In reply to Dukes

Gary Sobers 254

Gary Sobers Test Century 3rd Test 1960 vs Australia

sgtdjones 2018-01-22 19:46:34 

In reply to Emir

Why dont you shut the hell up .

This is about a great cricketer why bring up such
nonsense.

twisted twisted twisted

Walco 2018-01-22 20:23:59 

In reply to Star

You make a lot of assumptions about nine-year olds. My parents were not big cricket fans, and I was not allowed to go to cricket matches by myself at nine years old.

Walco 2018-01-22 20:40:08 

Another Jamaican old timer once told me that Sobers had an amazing ability to read the ball out of the bowler’s hand, and this was true to both spinners and fast bowlers.

tc1 2018-01-22 20:44:57 

In reply to openning

When Guy and bim play it even , but whenever Sobers was available , it was no CONTEST

Ewart 2018-01-22 21:05:08 

In reply to Khaga

Ignarrogance.

//

TheTrail 2018-01-22 21:37:51 

In reply to tc1

My dad told me about a Shell Shield game at Kensington against Guyana - he said in that game Branker took 5 or 6 for a few runs and the fans said: if he could do that to Guyana, they don't want to see when Gibbs get the ball.He said Gibbs cleaned up everybody.

Ewart 2018-01-22 21:45:35 

In reply to Walco

The only reason Sobers did not make more than the 365* is that spectators at Sabina that day came and took him bodily off the field.

They said they were satisfied that he had overtaken Len Hutton's top score of 364, and now they wanted him to come not out as that would forever seal his superiority.

//

tc1 2018-01-22 22:15:53 

In reply to Walco

1968 England vs WI at the Oval, John Snow had just remove both Butcher and Lloyd, WI in trouble, Snow , Jones and Brown roaring.

Sobers came the wicket, the field is now spread open with all nine fielders on the boundary , first 2 balls were wide outside the stumps, too wide for Garry to offer a stroke, Gary walk down the wicket,and pat down pitch, flick his collars,walk back and took guard,(smiling) the Oval was crazy, the third ball Sobers got up on his toe and flicked drive thru midwicket, the 4th ball he cover drive ,the 5th ball he drive straight pass Snow.

The 6th ball was a high full toss almost a beamer wide outside the off stump, Gary jump about 3ft in the air and slap the beamer thru point , never saw any shot like that in my life.Four consecutive 4.

The best bowling was a 1st division match, Police against Maple, Malcolm Hall- Mckenzie opening batting
Malcolm pad out to Garry 5 time, the 6th time he used his pad since he thought it was wide , it took out his leg pegas he was bowled behind his back.

He did the same to Clive lloyd in 66 , Guy vs Bim

tc1 2018-01-22 22:41:45 

In reply to TheTrail

kool,your dad told u what Sobie did to Malcolm.

openning 2018-01-23 01:03:00 

In reply to sgtdjones
Thanks for taking me down memory lane with that 1960/61 series, had tears watching and listening.
Frank Worrell was a leader, I remember the first test match, our school was allowed to listened to, was when he scored 197 not out

goofballs 2018-01-23 06:29:34 

In reply to openning

cool

goofballs 2018-01-23 06:33:43 

In reply to tc1

Some real old men here! wink
Thanks for the anecdotes.
It is different to hear real live experiences rather than a scorecard.

Ewart 2018-01-23 07:21:01 

In reply to tc1

Gary walk down the wicket,and pat down pitch, flick his collars,walk back and took guard,(smiling) the Oval was crazy..

Love it!

big grin big grin big grin

//

rillo 2018-01-23 08:09:27 

In reply to Walco

I saw him at the oval in PoS.NUFF SAID

Try watching the world X1 vs Australia.

That match and the comments on and about it will make you full of pride for the man.
That 254 was one of the best knocks I have seen.

All thee modern day pundits who have not seen greatness nor grace on the field is only espousing fast food mentality.
He was opening bowler, spin bowler, 1st slip, leg slip, can bat anywhere and at any position and was one of the best catchers and actually had the record for most catches.

rillo 2018-01-23 08:12:43 

In reply to tc1

WAS THERE LIVE AT HE OVAL IN 68. First time I saw 2 bowlers reach both ends of the oval to start their run ups as per Snow and Brown.

rillo 2018-01-23 08:18:14 

In reply to goofballs

Would love to see TODAY'S STARS FACE DOWN BOWLERS WITH ONLY THEIR CAPS ON AND UNLIMITED SHORT BALLS coming at them.

Hants 2018-01-23 09:09:46 

In reply to tc1
I watched that match.

Gary also hit a massive six off the back foot over long off.

mitch44 2018-01-23 09:20:59 

In reply to Emir

Your post is uncalled for. It is off the Topic and is borderline race baiting.
Nuff said.

tc1 2018-01-23 09:48:13 

In reply to rillo

there were 3- SNOW, brown and Jones

tc1 2018-01-23 09:49:18 

In reply to Hants

yes, indeed

tc1 2018-01-23 09:50:01 

In reply to goofballs

kool

Walco 2018-01-23 09:53:53 

In reply to Ewart

The only reason Sobers did not make more than the 365* is that spectators at Sabina that day came and took him bodily off the field.

They said they were satisfied that he had overtaken Len Hutton's top score of 364, and now they wanted him to come not out as that would forever seal his superiority.

I was under the impression that damage to the pitch was what ended the innings, but that is not inconsistent with what you posted.

Walco 2018-01-23 09:58:49 

There was a thread here on CC a few years back that went on for about 400 posts. In that thread I asked hubert several questions about Sobers and why he is so universally worshiped in Jamaica. Hubert graciously indulged my questions. Solidrock also featured heavily on that thread. I wish I had saved it.

Walco 2018-01-23 10:14:03 

From the Michael Manley book, "A History of West Indies Cricket":

During the first two Tests [in 1958 against Pakistan], when he had made 52, 52 and 80, Sobers' batting had increasingly the quality of a gathering storm. It seemed impossible to believe that this slim, lithe, graceful and infinitely talented young man had not yet made his maiden century after sixteen test matches. During the next 10 hours and 8 minutes [of the third Test in Jamaica] Sobers redeemed all of the pledges that had seemed implicit since the first morning on this same ground against Hutton's side four years before. His 365 not out broke Hutton's record, incorporating both Bradman's 334 at Leeds in 1930 and Hanif's 337 at Bridgetown the month before. Hanif had taken some three hours longer than Hutton to make 27 runs less. Sobers took three hours less than Hutton to make one run more.

tc1 2018-01-23 10:18:38 

In reply to Ewart

lol lol lol

goofballs 2018-01-23 10:29:41 

In reply to Walco

Heavy duty Maths!!

Hanif had taken some three hours longer than Hutton to make 27 runs less. Sobers took three hours less than Hutton to make one run more.

So Sobers too how long? lol lol lol
A: Six hours less than Haniff! To make one more than Hutton and 27 more than Haniff. razz razz
I think that Haniff Mohammed's is the longest innings (time) unless Shiv did something whilst I slept and woke up.
Haniff also had the record for highest first class score of 499 not out and something strange happened? Like thought was 500 or something?
I am almost but not as old as the ole timers here but memory fails me.

sgtdjones 2018-01-23 10:37:11 

** Must Watch ** Documentary on Batting Legend Sir Garfield Sobers

Baje 2018-01-23 10:38:44 

In reply to Walco

I never saw Sobers play cricket in person, but I am interested in the best shot you saw him play, the best ball you saw him bowl or the best catch you saw him take.

Around 1968 or so, England visited the Caribbean. They had a fast bowler by the name of Jeff Jones. One evening Sobers smacked him for 4 fours in a row. To hit the last four, Sobers had to elevate himself. There was a photograph in the news the next day with sobers, both feet off the ground, driving through extra cover.
I rushed back eagerly the next day for more of the same. Unfortunately, he holed out at deep midon to John Snow early in the days play sad.

goofballs 2018-01-23 10:40:15 

The other thing about Sobers was, apart from being very easy and friendly, was how magnanimous he was. Not just when he declared to give England the match and series.
Royalty? King of cricket was broad hearted.
Everybody who knew him talked about that.

Wadekar or some Indian player talked about Sobers seeing him practice in nets in Bombay with old boots on. Sobers had new boots delivered to him.

analyst-kid 2018-01-23 10:46:05 

I like the many times he saved us as captain.

Third Test WI vs NZ 1972 at Bridgetown.

At the end of the first day, a WI team with only Sobers as an experienced Test batsmen...NZ were 31/0 after skittling WI out for a paltry 133.
NZ went on to score 422 with Sobers getting the most wickets with 4/64.

Behind by 289 runs and at 171/5 WI was facing defeat until Sobers arrived and with Davis put on a 254 run partnership Sobers 142 Davis 183 and with the tail batted WI to a draw.

Link Text

Walco 2018-01-23 10:57:12 

In reply to sgtdjones

Just started watching that video and it cracked me up how umpire Dusty Rhodes gave that lbw decision to Sobers' bowling. He raised his right hand while turned sideways looking towards the midwicket boundary, then folds his arms smile

Drapsey 2018-01-23 11:14:07 

In reply to goofballs

Wadekar or some Indian player talked about Sobers seeing him practice in nets in Bombay with old boots on. Sobers had new boots delivered to him.

Sir Gary is a class act.

Had esteemed privilege of meeting him at a cricket match in New York (Canarsie, I think). Yes, the same match that BCL turned his back when I tried to pose for a picture with him.

Sir Gary not only posed with me for a picture (his female companion took the shot), he actually used my camera to take a picture of me posing with Sir Everton Weekes.

camos 2018-01-23 11:17:53 

In reply to Drapsey
Canarsie!

Drapsey 2018-01-23 11:18:48 

In reply to camos

Thanks. Took care of that typo.

Dukes 2018-01-23 12:18:40 

Everyone who actually saw Sobers play cricket, say the same thing. He looked as though he could do more if he wanted. He took no pleasure in scoring runs when there was no pressure or the bowling was very weak, hence his poor record against New Zealand. In 1972 he was a bystander when the likes of Rowe, Kallicharran and Fredericks mauled the New Zealand bowling. It was only when the West Indies were in trouble in Barbados that he buckled down and scored 142 to save the WI from defeat.
In 1970,the South African tour of England was cancelled and a Rest of the World team was assembled to play England. There was talk that Eddie Barlow was as good an all-rounder as Sobers. That talk was put to rest in the very first "Test" when Sobers took 6 wickets for 21 runs and scored 183 in what could only be described as a display reminiscent of when an adult was playing against pre-pubescent boys.
What is astonishing about Sobers is that he performed all these amazing feats while drinking and carousing and generally enjoying a care free life. His record in the Sheffield Shield in Australia in the early 1960's made an indelible impression on a young Ian Chappell who refuses to entertain the possibility that anybody could bat like Garry. His bowling in those years was absolutely top notch garnering 50 wickets in consecutive seasons to be among the top wicket takers.He had the knack of getting opening batsmen out within the first 3 or 4 overs.In a test match in England in 1963 he told Worrell that he should give him the new ball as he could dismiss the opening batsman cheaply. Worrell obliged and at the end of the first over England had lost a wicket without a run on the board. A careful analysis of the times he has actually opened the bowling will show an extraordinary amount of opening batsmen either LBW or bowled for 0 or 1 or 2 within the first 5 overs. As late as 1973 at age almost 37 he was taking breathtaking reflex catches off Gibbs at backward short leg. Bishen Bedi, the great Indian left arm orthodox bowler speaks of Sobers in God like terms. The cricketers who I have met personally who played with him speak of him as if he was from a different planet such is their admiration of him. It is therefore laughable when people compare Jacques Kallis to him based on the similarities of their statistics.

che 2018-01-23 12:29:53 

In reply to Dukes

U best post...

The cricketers who I have met personally who played with him speak of him as if he was from a different planet such is their admiration of him.

Mighty Sparrow in de greatest calypso ever reckons Sobers superhuman feats mek him GOAT on Mars tuh!!!

Dukes 2018-01-23 12:38:54 

Sheffield Shield with South Australia

In the 1961–62 Australian season which followed the 1960–61 West Indies tour, Sobers and his West Indian colleagues Wes Hall and Rohan Kanhai returned to Australia to take part in the Sheffield Shield. Sobers played for South Australia and had an enormous impact on attendances, causing an 89% increase with gate receipts rising "by two and a half times".Harte, p. 481. He topped both the batting and bowling averages at South Australia, his best performance being against champions New South Wales at the Adelaide Oval when he scored 251 and took 3/51 and 6/72. Retrieved on 16 August 2009.

He was even more outstanding in 1963–64 when, largely due to his efforts, South Australia won the Sheffield Shield. Sobers was the season's leading runscorer with 973 at 74.84 and the leading wicket taker with 47 at 28.27.Harte, p. 491.

Sobers spent three seasons with South Australia and in two he achieved the rare double of 1000 runs and 50 wickets..

sgtdjones 2018-01-23 12:41:06 

The greatest Cricketer the World has ever seen

THE MERRYMEN OF BARBADOS ~ GARY SOBERS

The greatest cricketer of the World or Mars
Mighty Sparrow Calypso - * Sir Garfield Sobers *

sgtdjones 2018-01-23 12:50:35 

Gary Sobers vs Denis Lillee, one of the greatest cricket battles

tc1 2018-01-23 13:08:29 

In reply to Baje

We both remembered the same event and that the same of that shot, see my post.great batting from the God.

tc1 2018-01-23 13:13:24 

In reply to Dukes/ Sargt

Many say that 132 of the tie match was one of the greatest innings of all time, as Sobers had scores under 10 at the start of the tour 1960.

The 132 was in 131 minutes and contain 25 fours.

sgtdjones 2018-01-23 13:23:53 

Sir Garfield "Garry" Sobers: The greatest all-round cricketer of all time

Garfield Sobers, born July 28, 1936, was simply the greatest all-round cricketer ever witnessed in the history of game. He was a freak of nature, who was the best of batsmen, most versatile of bowlers and the supreme acrobat among fieldsmen. Arunabha Sengupta looks back at the career of the man who was unique in the true sense of the word.

Demystifying the Sobers code

Ray Robinson called him “evolution’s ultimate specimen of cricketers.”

Link Text

sgtdjones 2018-01-23 13:31:40 

DECEMBER 16 2016

Sir Garfield Sobers at 80: lessons from a cricket genius

Dean Jones

Last week I caught up with cricketing great Sir Garfield Sobers at a lunch in Toowoomba, Queensland. When he walked into a full room of 500, the people went silent. Everyone knew they were in presence of someone really special.

Young or old, people are in awe of him. Wherever Sobers travels in the world, he just exudes this presence of greatness and the fans flock to see him.You should have seen it when this brilliant 80-year-old from Barbados sashayed across the room, making his way to the stage. He is so cool and the standing ovation for the great man gave me goosebumps.

Link Text

Sobers talked about his first Test match, where he was selected as an 18-year-old to bowl some left-arm off-spin and bat at No.9. He had an OK start to his Test career, making 40 runs and taking four wickets in the match. He wasn't paid a cent by the West Indies board to play. He was invited to play and just felt it was a huge honour to represent his region. But that was the last time he batted at No.9.

che 2018-01-23 14:15:34 

When Sobers walked back for 254,the Australians applauded him all the way to the pavilion. Lillee remarked, “I have had by arse cut properly today. I had heard about you and read about you and now I have seen you. I really appreciate it.”

Geezer thank GOAT for the mother of ass whuppings

lol lol lol

Jumpstart 2018-01-23 14:31:54 

Dukes 2018-01-23 17:32:44 

In reply to tc1

The genius of Sobers was that every time the talking heads identify a bowler or a player to rival him or to triumph over him, Garry goes out of his way to silence them in a most emphatic way.Prior to that first test, they claimed that Benaud had his number. The result was that Benaud was mauled by Sobie in that first test.

In another scenario,in 1966 prior to the BG vs Barbados match at Kensington the BG Manager Berkeley Gaskin was boasting about Clive Lloyd being a great batsman in the making. Result-Lloyd bowled Sobers 0.Barlow as good as Sobers-Sobers 183 and 6-21.The list goes on and on.

I have told the anecdote of BG wicketkeeper Sydney Jackman dropping Sobie off Gibbs when he had about 15 runs.Gibbs swore at Jackman and when Sobie dropped a double-century on BG, Gibbs said that Jackman must never play for the country again.HE DID NOT!!!!

As far as I am concerned, Sobie is the best New ball bowler ever in terms of him getting openers out in the first over.

Narper 2018-01-23 18:14:12 

In reply to Dukes

Nice thread.

threads like this should be archived....and retrievable for future reference.

Like you, I saw Sobers in my first attendance to test cricket in 1965 at Bourda

Walco 2018-01-23 18:38:22 

Sobers Interview about 6 sixes in an Over

Got a few bbelly laughs watching this video

Walco 2018-01-23 18:42:44 

In reply to Dukes

Serious question to you and the other posters. Have you ever seen Sobers play a shot off the front foot? The reason I ask is that the shots I witnessed in the video posted by Sarge were all off the back foot smile

Narper 2018-01-23 18:52:33 

In reply to Walco

Man....Sobers can play every shot in the book....and with awesome power...

Walco 2018-01-23 18:55:28 

In reply to Narper

Seems like he was mostly a back foot player. Sixes to long on and long off from the back foot. Not something mere mortals do on a regular basis.

sgtdjones 2018-01-23 19:01:59 

In reply to Walco

I never saw him play

What was stated in the above video you posted, that struck home was

Yes, we have in today's cricket all rounders. But none to date could bowl so many variations with that red ball.

That in itself makes him unique.

I sit here wondering playing all over the world the stories he could tell about the greats of past years, mind boggling.

cool cool

goofballs 2018-01-23 19:19:13 

In reply to Dukes

BG wicketkeeper Sydney Jackman dropping Sobie off Gibbs

He was my father's good friend, with the Rice Marketing Board at Skeldon.
When this 7 or 8 yr old kid was introduced to him as the Guyana keeper, instead of being in awe, the kid unleashed anger and accused him of dropping 4200 catches in the game.
Some of us were born brutally blunt, but honest. I say brutally honest!

wink

goofballs 2018-01-23 19:27:53 

Unlike Dukes and many others, I saw the other side of Sobers.
He had been thought of as God, not human, by all of us.
I enjoyed his various strokes, etc. but I got a bitter taste of reality when our own policeman Winston English bowled him.
Can you imagine God appearing as just a mere human to an 8-10 yr old? Crushed!!
Kanhai, we know, will get out sometimes cheaply but entertainingly. Not Sobers who was more perfection manifest, walking with the Gods.
(At least my perception then).

He made a mere 150! But, the God part was debunked. I never idolized them anymore. Earlier, I had proof that Father Christmas was just my father.

Dukes 2018-01-23 19:40:22 

In reply to goofballs

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The policeman Winston English will always be famous for having Sobers bowled for 165.My cousin who now lives in Trinidad was so upset at the dismissal that he cried and claimed that the ball hit a piece of mud.

Elsie 2018-01-23 19:53:20 

In reply to Dukes

Was that the Innings where English appealed Five times in a row for LBW against Garry, only to be turned down by the Umpire ?

In Hindsight, I would think one of those appeals had to be very close, if you think about it... A left handed Seamer getting one to straighten up to the left handed batsman... Anyway, its all history now.

Also, Didn't young Lloyd score a Century in the Second Innings of the 1966 match at Kensington when Gary dimisssed him for a Duck in the first Innings ?

It seems as though Cricinfo removed the Archived records of past W.I. domestic seasons...

goofballs 2018-01-23 19:59:06 

In reply to Dukes

smile
I am glad I got to see some of him over a few years at Bourda.
I like his run up also. Quite unique, from a broad angle.

tc1 2018-01-23 20:43:44 

In reply to Elsie

yes, indeed , Lloyd made a century in the 2nd innings brilliant , but he tantalize him in the 1st innings, He made him look like a novice.

Dukes posted a narrative on this match.

Dukes 2018-01-23 20:58:07 

In reply to Elsie

Lloyd did score a century in the second innings 107 to be exact and then went on to Sabina Park and scored 194 but was not selected for the tour of England.In those days he used to work at the Georgetown Hospital.

WestDem 2018-01-23 21:31:07 

Can you imagine being on a South African cricket website now reading about Kallis being the best cricketer ever? What can you tell them that Stats isn’t already proving? Apart from us being a bunch of old fcuks, what other arguments you can explain to a less than 40 year old?

Get with the program and enjoy your moment of greatness but don’t think you can just pass it on. We also have the rights to judge like previous generations ! cool

Khaga 2018-01-23 21:33:02 

In reply to WestDem

Fresh licks always bring out the dust of the past..

WestDem 2018-01-23 21:41:15 

In reply to Khaga

These fcukers will not change! First it was a question of what define greatness and now this to reinforce Sobers greatness.we sometimes forget that there can be multiple greats! How Serena can be considered the GOAT and not Bradman confirmed de hypocrites here! cool

Khaga 2018-01-23 21:55:06 

In reply to WestDem

In these guys' view, tennis has evolved but cricket hasn't. I am reading this by Garry Kasparov,arguably the greatest Chess player of all time. His deep appreciation of the past masters and modern greats is an object lesson even for layman fans.
It's quite understandable for people to be infatuated with Sobers' collar and Viv's chewing gum. Those are no reasons to dismiss modern masters..

Deep insecurity of WI fans in general and several posters on this thread in particular comes to the fore when WI cricket goes thru utter humiliation ,which has been a recurring theme. The recent appreciation accorded to the feats of Steve Smith and Virat Kohli is a chief reason for this thread to come out with a particular aim to belittle modern masters..

Khaga 2018-01-23 21:57:29 

In reply to WestDem

Bolt is GOAT, Serena is GOAT..Pele is GOAT,Sobers is GOAT..so,it's clearly not about the era..there is something else..a recurring pattern..

sgtdjones 2018-01-23 23:24:54 

In reply to WestDem

Cussbud

NO one is saying that you dont have such rights, we live in democracies. Some even under Trump.

If we look at the total picture including stats plus incidentals and what his opponents had to say about him,
curiosity appears.

Then look at the generation that player played vs improvements in protection, rule changes , quality of pitches , his competition, quality of players he had around him as teammates. Could he take the team to a higher standard single handed and control the game
with bat and ball.

WE get a better picture

His ability to focus and bat for long periods, accelerate the scoring at will. The countries that wanted him to play in their FC leagues.
The quality of bowlers he faced during his career.

His skills?

The ability to bowl and to change when he felt it was necessary. To open the bowling then changing to spin of various modifications, can bowl numerous types of spin
as the wicket dictated.Ability to take catches close in on players.

Skills that demanded work ethics

How many games did he miss during his career.
What were his career achievements did some stand the test of time.

The above are few of the area's one must look at.
I didn't have much time today and will look at what others said about him and how he will be rated against some of the best to have played the game.

How many of his type have appeared after he left the game.Was he unique and no one followed his footsteps
or couldn't develop such skills.

How many showed the same skills he had on the field of play, ball, bat catch and to change a game at will.
He must be one of a kind, it would then be difficult to have any comparison.

Do you consider 33 years old to be as you noted?

Peace

sgtdjones 2018-01-23 23:42:43 

In reply to Khaga

In these guys' view, tennis has evolved but cricket hasn't

Where do you see such comments?

It's quite understandable for people to be infatuated with Sobers' collar and Viv's chewing gum. Those are no reasons to dismiss modern masters..

What does the above have to do with this thread. The thread refers to a player with skills that has not been copied since his retirement.We may never see another.

Deep insecurity of WI fans in general and several posters on this thread

I never saw Sobers in person play the game? Will that make me insecure ?

The recent appreciation accorded to the feats of Steve Smith and Virat Kohli is a chief reason for this thread to come out with a particular aim to belittle modern masters..

The above is a very foolish statement, you are painting
with a wide brush. the results of such is a horrible paint job?

Bolt is GOAT, Serena is GOAT..Pele is GOAT,Sobers is GOAT..so,it's clearly not about the era..there is something else..a recurring pattern..

The thread is about one player a comment or two may be made about the closest comparison but then again, in debate such are allowed.
I fail to see why you brought up other names.It serves no purpose.

If those names were brought up based on skin color, I am disappointed in your generalization.Its is sad.

We are in a discussion about a fellow human being who had remarkable skills on a Cricket field that not only Caricom Nationals respected but the rest of the World also.
He played on World Teams and did well.

In conclusion, what is the pattern, please enlighten me?

cool

goofballs 2018-01-24 00:52:40 

In reply to sgtdjones

A very sweet thread, nonetheless!

Tagwa1 2018-01-24 04:28:56 

In reply to Walco

Almost all the great West Indians were back foot players primarily.

Tagwa1 2018-01-24 04:37:02 

In reply to Khagka

You left out Michael Jordon or LeBron James [take yr pick]

And Hank Aaron baseball
G.O.A.T.

Your conclusion is that....

Black people (excluding Indians) rule the roost in all the major sports?

Your evidence presented is extremely compelling.

I would say your case is a slam dunk....a six outa the park...a home run....a sure winner...

lol lol

Tagwa1 2018-01-24 05:59:34 

In reply to Dukes

I first started listening cricket when Sobers had a rare bad period.

What was to be an ordinary Indian team was touring. A yuound team, India was rebuilding and it was to be another walk in the park.

Suddenly all hell broke loose. An Indian called Gavaskar emerged from nowhere. Not just with runs at the top...He was not afraid of pace. That was rare for Indians, and suddenly he wasnt alone and inspirering his team. Backed by good captaincy, a wiley veteran in Sardesai, huge turning and accurate spinners and a damn good team overall we were suddenly in trouble.

Things even got worse as a freakish Indian bowler called Abid Ali took a liking to Sobers high backlift. Duck were everywhere. Kanhai and co. were doing ok, but it wasn't enough we were in too deep.

Old timers were going crazy. But IT wasn't mostly about just West Indies, not about the uselessness of Dowe or the hitherto unseen brilliance of Gavaskar....

It was about about Sobers...or about the one time that West Indians realized he was human.

Thats when he became a god for me.

Dukes 2018-01-24 06:19:25 

In reply to Tagwa1

In that "rare bad period," he scored 3 centuries in the series against India

44 and 93
29 and 0
4 and 108*
178* and 9
132 and 0
This is in his 17th year of test cricket

Tagwa1 2018-01-24 06:25:29 

In reply to Dukes

But that's my point....lol.

Those ducks to Ali and our loss...made him human.

lol

analyst-kid 2018-01-24 11:23:35 

In reply to Tagwa1

iT MUST BE NOTED that India's only defeat on that tour was at the hands of a Babados team captained by Sobers

Link Text

As you will see by then Hall and Griffith had ended their test careers but this Bajan team boasted a five prong of Hall,Holder,Boyce,Shepherd and Sobers. The WI put their faith in Dowe as their sole express pacer and the rest is history.

Tagwa1 2018-01-24 14:24:27 

In reply to analyst-kid

It's in a sense the important trasition to express pace and 4 prong. As you rightly point out Dowe was the only fast man and more of wild pace. Shilingfod and holder ECT. Were medium fast.

The coming of Roberts signaled a new emphasis on express pace under Lloyd and post Sobers.

Ewart 2018-01-24 15:27:04 

In reply to Walco

I was under the impression that damage to the pitch was what ended the innings, but that is not inconsistent with what you posted.

No. I was there for all three days. The wicket was good; just ask Gary!

lol lol lol

I believe the innings went on for a bit after he was taken off the field but ended when Everton was out.

//

Baje 2018-01-24 15:27:38 

In reply to Tagwa1

Are you talking about the time when Sobers on;y scored 600 runs in 5 matches at an average of 75?

Walco 2018-01-24 16:58:00 

In reply to Ewart

I found this in Michael Manley's book:

Twenty thousand ecstatic fans erupted as Sobers achieved his record score and Alexander declared the innings closed. Swarming on to the field they damaged the pitch to such an extent that the empires ordered repairs. This cost the last hour’s play on the fourth day. Even so, Pakistan could not save themselves. Although they fought stubbornly, reaching 288 all out on the last day, they lost by an innings and 174 runs.

Walco 2018-01-24 17:00:09 

More from Manley's book regarding the 1958-59 tour of India and Pakistan:

Following this opening battle at Bombay, the sides proceeded to Kanpur. Both teams managed a mere 222 runs in the first innings. Sobers then took flight once more, making 198 when he was run out just short of what would have been the second double century of his career. At this stage, Sobers had made 1,009 runs in five test matches, and had been out only six times. Only Bradman ever approached so prolific a period in test cricket. In both total and average it even surpassed the runs which Weekes made when he set the world record of five consecutive test centuries.

Ewart 2018-01-24 20:46:02 

In reply to Walco

If that is what Michael's book says, then ok. The distinction to make, however, is this:

Damage to the wicket might have ended the West Indies innings but Sobers' innings did not end because of damage to the pitch. He was taken off the field before the West Indies innings was called off.

That would then leave room for the discovery of the pitch damage, followed by Alexander's decision.

I will try to see what Becca remembers of that day...

//

Hanover 2018-01-24 21:06:59 

In reply to Ewart

It was an innings filled with confident and glittering strokes, an innings which was halted only because of the invasion of the excited crowd […]

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/sports/20170423/tony-becca-sir-garry-comes-age

jacksprat 2018-01-25 00:13:36 

In reply to Ewart
Mr.Manley's book was not without a few factual errors.

Walco 2018-01-25 05:24:51 

In reply to jacksprat

Becca seh it tek Sobers 10 hours and 14 minuted to make the 365 and Manley seh it tek 10 hours and 8 minutes ...

Dukes 2018-01-25 09:57:40 

Garry Sobers played many astonishing innings in his career. Naturally people tend to focus on his 365*,his 254 vs Australia and the 6 sixes he hit.
Let us propose his top 5 test centuries with explanations. I will propose my top 5 test centuries and later I will give my explanations.

1.113* vs England 1968 at Sabina Park
2.163* vs England 1966 at Lords
3.132 vs Australia 1960 at Brisbane
4.142 vs New Zealand 1972 at Kensington Oval
5.365* vs Pakistan 1958 at Sabina Park

Ewart 2018-01-25 10:14:07 

In reply to Hanover

Yes, agreed. Sobers' innings was ended by the field invasion. No dispute there...

What was being discussed, however, is whether that same invasion ended the West Indies' innings of 790. I did not think so, but you know how memory is...

Spoke with Becca last night and he will check it and let me know. Probably not today as he is undergoing a minor surgery as we speak.

//

Ewart 2018-01-25 10:15:21 

In reply to Walco

Ah wondah wha'appen to dat six minutes...

wink

//

CWWeekes 2018-01-25 11:00:31 

In reply to Dukes

That 1968 innings at Sabina was something else, with cracks all over the pitch. If memory serves me right I believe he got a first ball duck, LBW to a John Snow shooter in the 1st innings, before the entry applause of the fans had even died down. Then, he made that hundred with the WI following-on in the 2nd innings. Saw parts of that innings on TV. Remember watching England holding on for dear life in extra time added on that Wednesday because of the bottle throwing incident on the Monday. Had a front row seat in front of the school TV watching Gibbs and Sobers trying their best to get in as many overs as possible to win the match for the WI that last day.

Back then, I don't remember any mention of abandoning the match, because of the condition of the pitch. In that match Nurse as a opener made a very aggressive 60 odd, if I remember correctly,in the 2nd innings. I remember that Saturday afternoon he was putting such a beating on the ball they had to have a ball change. Comacho at the other end was resolute in defence, digging out some shooters.

Dukes 2018-01-25 11:59:45 

In reply to CWWeekes

I remember it exactly as you stated it!!!!

Hanover 2018-01-25 12:59:41 

In reply to Ewart
Thanks, man. I am reading this thread with great interest – not just reading, but learning from people who lived the experience. Like Walco, I never saw Sobers. As a matter of fact, my first West Indies cricket great is the latter years of Richie Richardson.big grin

I hope Becca will be OK.

Walco 2018-01-25 17:22:16 

In reply to Ewart

Becca on the 365 not out:

When I remember the state of the pitch, although at the time it meant very little to me, and when I recall the injury to Mahmood Husain and to Nasim-ul-Ghani, which left the attack short on quality, it was not the best innings that I had ever seen.

To be played by one so young, however, to be played by a bowler who had become a batsman, to go straight to the top so quickly, to parade such splendid stroke-play, such batsmanship, and to score so rapidly, and to bat for such a long time, struck me as something out of the ordinary.

His subsequent innings, such as his 132 at Brisbane in 1960 in probably the greatest Test match of all, his 163 not out at Lord's in 1966 to rescue the West Indies after they were forced to follow-on and were just nine runs ahead in their second innings, and his 113 not out at Sabina Park in 1968 when the West Indies were forced to follow-on and left to bat on a devil of a pitch, as great as they were, seemed as mere footprints.

That is why, despite the words of historians and writers like Neville Cardus, A. A. Thompson, and Robertson Glasgow and what they had to say about batsmen like Victor Trumper, Don Bradman, Walter Hammond, and George Headley, and with due respect to the modern giants like Sunil Gavaskar, Viv Richards, Brian Lara, and Sachin Tendulkar, for me the greatest of them all is Garry Sobers, the left-arm orthodox spin bowler, who, over time, became a great batsman, a brilliant close-to-the-wicket fielder, a fast left-arm bowler good enough to open the West Indies bowling despite the presence of Wes Hall and Charlie Griffith, and a confusing wrist spinner.

Ewart 2018-01-25 17:59:07 

In reply to Hanover

Yes, I am pretty sure he will be alright.

Kingston was Sobers' happy hunting ground in more ways than one. If you wanted confirmation of that you just had to go up to the Student's Union at UWI Mona for fete on a Friday or Saturday night... and Gary would be there! Him and Wes Hall! They loved the place!

wink wink

//

goofballs 2018-01-26 16:03:48 

I have two problems with Sobers.

He keeps on criticizing our players of international quality as money chasers.
Now, this pro went all over the world to ply his trade, Nottinghamshire, Australia, Rhodesia(my second issue with the governments, WICB)

Dukes 2018-02-03 13:30:32 

In reply to goofballs

Sobers might have gone all over the world playing cricket but he was always available to play for the West Indies!!!
As a matter of fact, in 1962 he played a Sheffield Shield match in Australia and took 7 wickets as well as scored a double century, then left Oz the night the match ended and arrived in Port of Spain the night before the first test vs India where he took a catch in the slips before lunch.Sobers played 85 consecutive matches for the West Indies.

goofballs 2018-02-03 13:51:42 

In reply to Dukes
I knew you would come through! razz
You have facts.
Question is still, calling players money chasers.
I did not hear a qualifier like at the expense of country.
I firmly believe that a laborer or artiste should seek the best compensation for his trade and see what the market would bear.
Many are jealous. One would think that the ole timers are probably pretty pissed compared to their days playing for pennies.

There are about 10 WIndians in IPL alone with a fat guaranteed paycheck for 6 weeks ?work. Plus those in PCL, Bangla, Big bash, etc. Is there any guarantee that they would all be selected for WI knowing that only 11 will make the side and many Sammy like guaranteed spots already taken up?
I thought that if they got guaranteed contracts from WICB then they are obligated/mandated to play for country first.

My issue with Rhodesia is the hypocrisy and double standards exhibited by the regional governments and WICB.

Dukes 2018-02-03 13:55:39 

In reply to goofballs

If you knew Garry Sobers you would know that jealousy is not a part of his makeup.

Dukes 2018-02-03 13:58:23 

BTW Do you guys know that Garry is one of only 4 West Indian bowlers to take 1000 wickets in first-class cricket!!!!!!

goofballs 2018-02-03 14:03:28 

In reply to Dukes

cool

I did not call his name!!

Plus, in your olden days, didn't the counties automatically release players to go play test cricket? It was less complicated then.

Khaga 2018-02-03 14:11:08 

In reply to goofballs

Did the counties use to pay more than international matches?

goofballs 2018-02-03 14:15:07 

In reply to Khaga

I imagine so but Dukes is an encyclopedia!
Defer to him.

Dukes 2018-02-04 07:58:10 

Just saw this about Garry

He spent several seasons playing for South Australia and played in a Sheffield Shield match in Adelaide that ended on 13 February 1962. Three days later he played in a Test against India in Trinidad. In between, he made a 55-hour flight on three airlines, covering 12,600 miles and arriving in the middle of the night before the Test. Without the time difference between Adelaide and Trinidad, he would never have made it. The final drive to the cricket ground was an additional two hours. In those two matches, he scored a combined total of 293 runs and took 15 wickets. And modern-day cricketers moan about their workloads!

Elsie 2018-02-04 09:06:59 

In reply to Dukes

The final drive to the cricket ground was an additional two hours.

Where in Trinidad would it take Two Hours to get to the Oval, in 1962. Did he arrive in Tobago ?

big grin big grin big grin

Guys, Garry was great, matter of fact, all of our Greats were Great. But the game has moved on.

Cricket is much more advanced since 1974 when Sobers played his last test match.

If W.I. had continued our winnings ways into the new millennium, there would be little reason for us to continue glorifying past greats so often. That's how I see it..

Walco 2018-02-04 09:15:19 

In reply to Elsie

Are you suggesting that Sobers would not be as great if he played today?

Elsie 2018-02-04 09:23:40 

In reply to Walco

With the Talent he was gifted with, he probably would. But we will never know.

Walco 2018-02-04 09:26:42 

In reply to Elsie

cool

Dukes 2018-02-04 10:18:39 

In reply to Elsie

I was puzzled by that 2-hour drive since it seemed an exaggeration. What is indisputable though is the fact that the match in Australia ended on February 13 and the Trinidad test began on February 16.He took 7 wickets on that last day after scoring 252 and on the first day of the test match took a slip catch off Hall to get rid of Contractor before lunch, scored 40 runs and took 2-28 and 4-22.

Dukes 2018-02-04 10:22:29 

In reply to Elsie

Cricket is much more advanced since 1974 when Sobers played his last test match.

Apart from Wasim Akram, which modern left arm, fast bowler can swing the new ball like Garry Sobers?

doosra 2018-02-04 10:28:56 

In reply to Dukes

i am not getting into a discussion again but i still cannot understand how his bowling stats are so just above average for all the prowess described time and again

maybe you did explain this before

his avg is 34 and his sr 91 (i am sure that is not correct)

Dukes 2018-02-04 10:34:37 

In reply to doosra

It is a pity that we are unable to separate out his fast bowling from his spin bowling.He did not start bowling his fast stuff in test cricket until the Australian tour in 1960-61 so that helps separate out his pre-OZ statistics.That improves his stats significantly.

doosra 2018-02-04 10:38:31 

In reply to Dukes

i think one can still do that...but it will be tedious

one of these days but then maybe we wouldn't know which match he bowled what...perhaps we can use an estimate (period for when he was fully fast)

goofballs 2018-02-04 10:40:22 

In reply to Elsie
Thank You!

there would be little reason for us to continue glorifying past greats so often.

You know when I was small, the Burnhamites would tease, insult, harass, derogate me and other Hindus for being idol worshippers.

In no way or means is the good Doc a Burnhamite or a Hindu, but definitely an idol worshipper!

Soon Sobers would be fetching mountain with one hand whilst he swallows the sun, right here on CCC! lol lol lol

FuzzyWuzzy 2018-02-04 10:50:42 

It's a good thing I witnessed the latter half of sobers' career and not relying on stats

Khaga 2018-02-04 10:54:54 

and Devin is berated repeatedly for applying selective filters..oh the hypocricy!

Dukes 2018-02-04 11:07:43 

In reply to doosra

Actually, it is impossible since he bowled both pace and spin in the same innings sometimes and I am pretty sure the scorers were not compiling stats separately for pace and spin.Quick calculations show that pre-Oz 1960-61 he took 40 wickets in 31 tests at 44.98 with a strike rate of 116.25.
That means he took 195 wickets in 62 tests at 31.79 and a strike rate of 86.91 post-Oz 1960-61.
Again, he bowled a significant amount of spin from 1961 onwards so it is impossible to distinguish.I would say that Sobers was an average orthodox slow-left arm spinner, an above average slow left-arm chinamen and googly bowler, a very good left-arm fast bowler and an outstanding new ball bowler. He rarely took the new ball for the WI because of the presence of Hall and Griffith but when he did he was lethal.He bowled with the new ball for South Australia and had an astonishing record in terms of early breakthroughs.

BTW for some perspective, Lance Gibbs strike rate in test cricket is 87.75

Walco 2018-02-04 11:16:22 

In reply to Dukes

To what would you attribute the high strike rates for Gibbs and Sobers? Different lbw rules?

Dukes 2018-02-04 12:50:31 

In reply to Walco

Like everything in life, it is a complicated and multifactorial situation.WRT Gibbs, my main criticism of Gibbs was his inability to bowl from around the wicket.He was asked a million times to bowl around the wicket particularly on turning wickets but he always felt it would affect his line. Also, the LBW rules and the use of technology would have given Gibbs at least another 50 wickets. I was at Bourda in 1968 when Colin Cowdrey and Alan Knott basically used their pads to keep Gibbs and to a lesser extent Sobers out.In today's cricket, they would have been given out at least a dozen times.The Umpire at the time was Kippins who in conversation with me several years ago told me that according to the rules at the time, he could not give them out.Incidentally, that convo with Kippins was published on the front page here on Cc.com.
A third factor was the superior ability of batsmen against spin bowling back in the day.People like Kallicharran, Graveney and , Barrington were excellent against spin.

FuzzyWuzzy 2018-02-04 12:53:45 

In reply to Dukes

You are on to something there. After that series lbw law was changed

Khaga 2018-02-04 12:59:57 

If one reads this forum,one is less to believe that West Indies players were always disaffected by the changes in always..smh..

FuzzyWuzzy 2018-02-04 13:03:31 

In reply to Khaga

Fact my friend. Cowdrey and Knott were allowed to pad out Gibbs and Sobers. They just kick the ball away. The rule was changed immediately to make you out if you played no stroke

Khaga 2018-02-04 13:05:53 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Could very well be. How come I don't see one law change or law that did NOT disaffect you? Did you guys ever admit unlimited bouncers gave your physical fast bowling ( am refraining from my favorite phrases) a huge advantage?

Hanover 2018-02-04 13:13:42 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

For the purpose of enlightenment, how do you reconcile this statement, “The rule was changed immediately to make you out if you played no stroke”, with the following?

Those were the days when plonking one's front foot to the line of the ball saved the day for the batsman, as the leg before wicket verdict was taken right out of the equation, and the spinners were left high and dry.
During the 1994 West Indian tour of India, James Clive Adams made a real mockery of proceedings to the dismay of the Indians by using his pad as the first line of defense in order to keep the home team's slow bowlers at bay.

http://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news/when-adams-turned-padams-to-defy-the-indians-578230.html

Khaga 2018-02-04 13:15:32 

In reply to Hanover

Fuzzy didn't watch that series..

Khaga 2018-02-04 13:17:11 

The numbers are what they are..if you extrapolate for the past greats, we can apply the same to the modern greats! The bankruptcy of modern greats in your team makes you myopic!

FuzzyWuzzy 2018-02-04 13:21:18 

In reply to Hanover

Jimmy obviously convinced the umpire's he was playing a stroke

rillo 2018-02-04 13:23:42 

In reply to Walco

Go to you tube and pull up world xi vs Australia with Sobers as captain of d world xi and look t his 254 and listen to the comments afterwards.
He dismantled Llillee.
Great stuff .

Hanover 2018-02-04 13:26:22 

In reply to Khaga

smile smile

Anyway, Fuzzy is a cricket historian, so, you know, it is an easy reconciliation.

Khaga 2018-02-04 13:27:52 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Jimmy obviously convinced the umpire's he was playing a stroke

big grin

rillo 2018-02-04 13:32:11 

In reply to Elsie

Where is it advanced?
Now you have piss poor batsmen and the couple like KOHLI and Smith they are anointed as greatest.
You have more piss and weak bowlers to bowl to your new superstars nd they make them look great.
Would like to see Kohli, Lara, Tendy and Smith bat without helmets against sustained 140 kmh 4 prong pace attacks.Without all the laws against bowlers withdrawn.
They may succeed a bit but I doubt it. Lara and Smith yes the other 2 doubt it.

Khaga 2018-02-04 13:33:20 

In reply to Hanover

Less popular are the efforts of batsmen like Richie Richardson and lesser mortals to pad them away unsuccessfully.. big grin

Distortians er..historians galore.. big grin

FuzzyWuzzy 2018-02-04 14:29:54 

In reply to Khaga

You would stop at nothing to crown Kolhi the GOAT

analyst-kid 2018-02-04 15:20:00 

The thing is..great players who have seen Sobers including WI,Eng and Aus players all accede to Sober's greatness.

You find players and fans who have never seen Sobers question his greatness.

Is it just nostalgia?

I find this is the same thing with Pele.

Great players who have played with and against Pele and Sobers keep saying they are on a different level to everyone else.

Khaga 2018-02-04 16:17:30 

In reply to analyst-kid

That's true for the greats of any era..Players who played with and against a great will always say it..Nothing special about Sobers or Pele in that regard..

Khaga 2018-02-04 16:19:08 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

This thread is about Sobers. Lets stick to the topic and debate the hypocricy of selective filtering of stats..

analyst-kid 2018-02-04 16:21:23 

Nothing special about Sobers or Pele in that regard..

Which modern day "great" players revere players like those former greats revere Sobers?

Khaga 2018-02-04 16:23:04 

In reply to analyst-kid

Sachin Tendulkar to a large extent and Brian Lara to some extent..

Walco 2018-02-04 18:41:35 

Just heard a commentator say that the great Sir Garry said you can't get out caught if you hit the ball along the ground. Didn't Sobers also say there's more space in the air than along the ground? smile

Dukes 2018-02-04 19:34:37 

Here are some stats that show just how good Garry Sobers was.
In 35 test matches between his 21st and 82nd test match his test average was 60 or more.

Look at this

Look at highest test average between 101 and 158 innings for G.S. Sobers.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The GREATEST CRICKETER ON EARTH OR MARS