The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Harry Belafonte: from the crucible

pelon 2018-01-24 10:11:10 

Singularly the greatest LIVING philanthropic social activist [from our diaspora]. Countless social causes AND persons benefited from this great man, directly and in-directly from monthly support (including the MLK family, his anti-aparthide support, countless musicians, activist etc.)

Let me say it, to rouse you: he is the most under appreciated calypsonian in the Caribbean diaspora. If Gabby had done 1/10000th that this great man did, he'd have statues in every village. Yet because this US born Jamaican great is many years removed from the forefront of "popularity" - we seldom if ever hear his name come up in our conversations. A shame.

When he sang "Island in the Sun", he was directly addressing the struggle and the true heirs of these sun-soaked islands: the hand that toiled, the woman in the canes trying to feed her family as the sun beats down and mingles sweat and earth.

I give you those simple lyrics for reflection (add to it the time and era):

Oh, island in the sun
Willed to me by my father's hand
All my days I will sing in praise
Of your forest, waters, your shining sand

As morning breaks the heaven on high
I lift my heavy load to the sky
Sun comes down with a burning glow
Mingles my sweat with the earth below

Oh, island in the sun

I see woman on bended knee
Cutting cane for her family
I see man at the waterside
Casting nets at the surging tide

Oh, island in the sun

I hope the day will never come
When I can't awake to the sound of drum
Never let me miss carnival
With calypso songs philosophical

Oh, island in the sun

On prejudice: we've been taught so.

Side-note: Belafonte - in my opinion - gave Gen. Colin Powell his identity and awakening gut punch back in 2002.

On Powell: "There's an old saying," Belafonte said in an interview. "In the days of slavery, there were those slaves who lived on the plantation and there were those slaves that lived in the house. You got the privilege of living in the house if you served the master ... exactly the way the master intended to have you serve him."

the outcome remains clear - it was less than 2 years later he resigned his white house post.

Conclusion: Belafonte turns 91 this year. Don't wait - shout louder the deeds of the great CALYPSONIAN in our diaspora....

1hr Interview, speaking about the importance of his Jamaican up bringing. : LINK

POINT 2018-01-24 11:12:22 

In reply to pelon

I believe that song or the " Banana
Boat SonG " was written by a Barbadian .
The Movie was filmed in Grenada .

JayMor 2018-01-24 12:00:45 

In reply to Point and Pelon

Many of his hit tunes, if not most, were basically traditional Jamaican/Caribbean folk tunes.

--Æ.

pelon 2018-01-24 12:13:20 

In reply to JayMor

Indeed, his years in Jamaica left a significant mark on him socially, spiritually and to your point: musically.

His 1956 album "Calypso" became the first million-selling LP in American entertainment history.

a good read here

Also the Sundance released: Sing Your Song Documentary Film

JahJah 2018-01-24 12:16:53 

In reply to POINT

Banana Boat Song is a Jamaican folk song.

Island in the Sun was written by Harry and an American, who had a Barbadian mother.

FuzzyWuzzy 2018-01-24 12:54:43 

In reply to JahJah

The man who penned the words to Barbados national anthem. Irvine Burgie

Oilah 2018-01-24 13:51:02 

In reply to POINT
Filmed in Grenada and Barbados. I know and recognize the Barbados locations from my childhood. The "Big House" was the Farley Hill Estate house which burned not too long after the movie.

tops 2018-01-24 14:03:29 

In reply to pelon

His 1956 album "Calypso" became the first million-selling LP in American entertainment history.

And I have that LP. big grin Even though u can find his songs online, I am keeping it.

pelon 2018-01-24 14:12:57 

In reply to Oilah

Full Movie "Island in the Sun" is online: HERE

pelon 2018-01-24 14:14:23 

In reply to tops

priceless... keep it and store it safely.
ebay does sell a few from time to time

tops 2018-01-24 14:19:50 

In reply to pelon
One more dance remind me of my young days at summer camp. I taught one of the camp counselors this song...There was another guy, her fellow counselor who was trying to score with her...well, to make a long story short, he had to hold the mike while she and I hold each other and sang and dance to this song together.

JahJah 2018-01-24 15:43:39 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

As hired to write a song. They would hire Gershwin if they could afford him.

johndom90 2018-01-24 17:01:41 

In reply to pelon

Calypsonian? Belafonte?

Chrissy 2018-01-24 17:11:35 

In reply to pelon

Harry is a true servant of his people - one of the most genuine of all time. He was lucky to live in Jamaica at a time when calypso was pretty popular.

pelon 2018-01-24 17:36:35 

In reply to johndom90

That is intentional.

He started, and came to fame yes, because of CALYPSO. Yes CALYPSO. It may not sound like calypso to your ear in this generation, but it was most certainly classified as "calypso"

He went on to be a multi-talented singer, actor, activist.... but you read that right the man started at his label as "The King of Calypso"

FuzzyWuzzy 2018-01-24 18:52:37 

In reply to JahJah

Link Text

johndom90 2018-01-24 19:13:00 

johndom90 2018-01-24 19:17:44 

In reply to pelon

The americans classified him as calypsonian. What do Americans know of calypso to be authoritative on this subject?
The Andrew sang a remix of rum and coca cola...were they calypsonians?

All kudos to Harry...ive admired him since i could remember. My father killed two Lps when i was growing up...Belafonte calypso album with deeeeoooooo..... cool ..and Pat Boone..old rugged cross Lp.

Im not crucifying Belafonte, just clarifying. Harry sang Caribbean folk songs and....borrowed other calypsonians songs...then engineered them for the American audience. He was not...repeat...not a calypsonian. Late lord Melody and a few ithers had acidic opinions on Belafontes use of their music.......

Now i dont want u to think that I hate Belafonte....i dont...the man is ..was versatile on many fronts... A true saga boy.

johndom90 2018-01-24 19:20:07 

In reply to pelon

And ketch u blasted self....u know nothing of my ear for calypso or my appreciation of the art form. lol

Headley 2018-01-24 19:28:59 

In reply to pelon

Thank you for singing the great man's praises.

Keep up the good work even though the natives may be restless and unfocused. big grin

DirtyDan 2018-01-24 20:43:48 

Harry culturally appropriated

Doan try dat

Discounting calypso, Great man. But I guess calypso made him known

johndom90 2018-01-24 22:24:21 

In reply to DirtyDan

His breakout album was called calypso. It does not mean that what he sang was calypso....he borrowed some songs and remade them.
I read one of the pieces on hos reconnecting with his Jamaican roots, and discovering calypso on the streets of Kingston.
All this time I thought TT was the land of calypso. I will play devils advocate with all the talk i talking... cool....

So if Harry hear..and was influencrd by hearing of same calypso in Ja..to become King of calypso...where was reggae back then? Why it did not influence young Harry?.

Venture to answer....look trouble....There was a thread a long time back...about the Trini mento influence on Reggae...a man from South Trinidad that had particular influence on yard music. That thread had cuss like hell because all yardie deny the influence of Trini music on yard music developement back then.

Now look!.... Them say Harry is the Calypso King.... smile...influenced by Jamaica calypso music.... big grin

sgtdjones 2018-01-24 22:54:26 

In reply to johndom90

keep them honest

he tried but harry is not a calypsonian

razz razz razz

POINT 2018-01-24 23:04:45 

He had a Concert at Carnegie Hall that
was recorded live and made into an Album . He sang one of Lord Melody's
Calypsoes " MATILDA " ; and had the Audience participate by also singing .

I went to St. Maarten , once and went to a Restaurant with one of my Cousins ,and Harry & his Wife were sitting at
a table with some local People .

Seeing him reminded me of the time when Petula Clark had a TV Concert on
NBC , Harry was her guest , he sang a
Song , and she sang a song , then they sang a duet , and in the process
held hands .

This apparently upset one of the Big
Wigs at NBC , because it was in the
New York Times the next day . This incident happened in the late 1960's

pelon 2018-01-24 23:05:01 

In reply to johndom90

I snicker.

etymology is lost on many. but you carry on wid dat one sarge.

lol lol

johndom90 2018-01-24 23:18:25 

In reply to pelon

Do not rely solely on other people's definitions. I once listened to the late roaring Lion produce a European manuscript to make his point about the origins of calypso.

Nb...i am not in Lion or Emir age bracket...

Notice i have not said a bad word about Belafonte....no sah...

Im just digging into the purist aspect of calypso...

pelon 2018-01-24 23:31:55 

In reply to johndom90

That is exactly the point.

What is "calypso"?

Bring me the earliest form of recorded calypso.

Frist off, these brighter than me guys forget that "calypso" by definition has nothing to do with melody and everything to do with lyric.

To get to that point one has to investigate the etymology of the word calypso (Greek actually): concealing the knowledge, a further translation is: subtle

Belafonte took a message and concealed it in lyrics, no different to Kitch, Sparrow, Gabby, Chalkdust, Black Stalin etc....

By any definition and by any curator - Belafonte sang Calypso, the agony is that he gets no recognition in the islands because his time was well before the MODERN DEFINITION of calypso.... and at worst, we never associated his heritage as Caribbean.

A shame.

The man was born to Caribbean parents and he lived in Jamaica in his formative years.... he is of the struggle, and very much a calypsonian of the 1950's

ProWI 2018-01-25 07:29:09 

In reply to JahJah

Island in the Sun was written by Harry and an American, who had a Barbadian mother.

Therefore, he is Bajan. Period.

Headley 2018-01-25 08:05:22 

The first time I saw the Mighty Sparrow perform was not in Trinidad. It was when I was a schoolboy in the sixties in Port Antonio Jamaica. Some may understand the importance of the Port Antonio reference.

Emir 2018-01-25 08:07:44 

In reply to JayMor

True.

Emir 2018-01-25 08:12:34 

In reply to pelon

Agreed with what you said, but to simplify it, you can see Belafont compositions as an evolved form due to his Americanism.

BTW, not sure you are aware, Calypso was a mainstream music in the USA during the 50's- every radio station in the USA back then blasted calypso music- (soca is a new invention)

Research the golden era of Calypso in the USA for more information

pelon 2018-01-25 09:00:38 

So this thread has two topics:

1. Did Harry Belafonte sing calypso?
2. He is a civil rights leader and a significant financier to countless social causes, going back to the late 50's (no objection there)

It is without question Belafonte WAS a calypso signer for a time and his ditties are EXACTLY in the style of early calypsos from the legends of Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica etc, yet we have a subset of gentlemen here that only appreciate music newer than 30 years:

For your evaluation:
Brown Skin Girl
Angelina
Man Smart Woman Smarter
Cocoanut Woman
"Banana Boat Song (Day O)" - 1956

Here is a final shot. If I said Farrakhan sang calypso all ah we here would say: "yes dat iz true" somehow, Belafonte for a few here was "not a calypso signer" because he moved on to different genres....

tc1 2018-01-25 09:23:42 

In reply to pelon

. He is a civil rights leader and a significant financier to countless social causes, going back to the late 50's (no objection there)

This is his greatest legacy, he help finance Dr. King during the civil right era,along with Sidney as well as Ossie Davis, Sammy Davis and his friends.

Most notable missing according to some was Bill Cosby, he did not support the civil right era during early days.While Harry and others were blacklisted Cosby was career was highlighted.

JahJah 2018-01-25 09:35:45 

In reply to ProWI

So that makes Rhianna Guyanese then...period.

redface

JayMor 2018-01-25 09:55:08 

In reply to JahJah

Shat ...crass de bough to rass! lol

Pro, wheh yuh deh?

--Æ.

johndom90 2018-01-25 10:12:15 

He is a civil rights leader and a significant financier to countless social causes,
In reply to pelon

That he did this quietly with no demands for recognition, earned my eternal respect...but ...i will dig at the calypsonian part.... smile

Earlier i said that the roaring lion used a manuscript from France to define calypso...most of TT disagreed with him.

You choose to accept the American designation of calypsonian.Back in those days the definition of a calypsonian in the caribbean/TT especially was more strict than it is now. Back in the 40S 50s 60's your were not bonafide calypsonian unless you wrote and sang your own songs...nowadays they get ready made songs...in a sense they are singers of songs now.

It is an indelible fact that Harry borrowed caribbean songs and sang them for an American audience...undeniable.

tc1 2018-01-25 10:24:21 

In reply to Emir

BTW, not sure you are aware, Calypso was a mainstream music in the USA during the 50's- every radio station in the USA back then blasted calypso music- (soca is a new invention)

i heard this a couple of years ago, maybe from Belafonte himself.

pelon 2018-01-25 11:31:03 

In reply to johndom90

It is an indelible fact that Harry borrowed Caribbean songs and sang them for an American audience...undeniable.

Born of Jamaican Mother, lived in Jamaica and Caribbean father yet he is "borrowing from the Caribbean"... I accept your position, yet encourage you to watch his interviews about Jamaica, his mother and the (positive) influence living in Jamaica had on him.

I suppose to accept your "borrowed Caribbean" I have to say something like: "Steel Pulse borrowed Caribbean rhythms and sang them for an international audience" - which while true, goes to separate the members from their identity.

Harry did, as did Byron Lee or a BAZILLION other calypsonians did back in the day: sign other peoples songs and sometimes his own.

I've enjoyed this discussion with you. My issue was that WE/MANY disconnect Harry Balefonte from his own true roots/heritage/calypso musical impact, and THAT is a shame.
surprised

analyst-kid 2018-01-25 11:53:21 

Just some corrections please.

Belafonte did his part but calypso aficionados and calypsonians like myself would always want to laud the efforts of Lord Melody who Belafonte used his songs for fame like Mama Look a boo Boo Dey and Shame and Scandal.

Burgie also wrote many of his songs too but unlike Melody, Burgie was well compensated...this compensation has sparked much venom for Belafonte.

Irving Burgie didn't wrote Yellow Bird ....that is an old Haitian song called Choucoune from the 1890s.

Lord Melody didn't write Mathilda....that song is accredited to King Radio although some say it was stolen from the US Virgin islands and recorded by King Radio.

analyst-kid 2018-01-25 12:05:34 

I correct myself on the US Virgin islands though...the reference is "de islands" which could mean St Vincent St Lucia,Grenada and the others....many songs could have originated from there but because of the lack of recording access in the 1920s and 1930s, the Trinidadian calypsonians have taken credit as the writers for many folk songs/calypsos.

pelon 2018-01-25 12:25:36 

In reply to analyst-kid

Belafonte did his part but calypso aficionados and calypsonians like myself would always want to laud the efforts of Lord Melody who Belafonte used his songs
I agree 100%.... it's like calling Byron Lee a great calypsoinian (he was, but he leveraged other peoples work)

Thanks and very much, appreciate your input.

Question: Do you consider Belafonte, in his early years, as a calypso singer? [don't get tied up on where, who and whom he took the songs from - just yes or no - did he sign calypsos in your opinion]... And if no, what genre of music did Belafonte sign?

Your reply is considered definitive and authoritative....

johndom90 2018-01-25 12:36:49 

In reply to analyst-kid

To give a genuine and authoritative response please....the man dissing me to the side. He like what you say smile....i to lackaray for him

And definitive.....

pelon 2018-01-25 12:41:26 

In reply to johndom90

the man dissing me to the side

neva neva lol lol lol lol lol

This cc.com is an encyclopedia of our diaspora.

Asking questions and throwing out ideas is the bed rock.... See the Jackie Opel thread...

dis thing sweet, and certainly it is curious (to me) that some don't consider Belafonte's early work as Calypso.

I defer to consensus on this one.
big grin big grin

sgtdjones 2018-01-25 12:44:26 

In reply to pelon

etymology is lost on many. but you carry on wid dat one sarge.

If we look at your lil england English dictionary we see this

A kind of West Indian (originally Trinidadian) music in syncopated African rhythm, typically with words improvised on a topical theme.

Oxforddictionaries.com/definition/calypso

cool cool cool

Calypso is a style of Afro-Caribbean music that originated in Trinidad and Tobago during the early to mid-19th century and eventually spread to the rest of Caribbean Antilles and Venezuela by the mid-20th century.

sgtdjones 2018-01-25 12:49:55 

In reply to johndom90

It is an indelible fact that Harry borrowed caribbean songs and sang them for an American audience...undeniable.

I would classify Harry as a folk singer of Caribbean songs.

I enjoy his music and have the utmost respect for him.
Harry, is an American.

I do not consider him to be part of the diaspora.

He would not make it as a calypso singer, in the land of calypso.

lol lol lol

analyst-kid 2018-01-25 12:53:19 

Question: Do you consider Belafonte, in his early years, as a calypso singer?

Interesting question. Do you know Farrakhan, himself a calypsonian ( with recordings to boot) didnt consider Belafonte any at all.

Link Text

Link Text

If you want to go technical in respect of phrasing and delivery Belafonte wouldn't rank as a calypsonian of any note...his skills are poor but as the man said earlier ...what Americans know 'bout calypso?

I wouldn't consider himself a calypsonian...but a calypso singer yes he has played his part.

Now Nap Hepburn,Singing Sandra,Baron hardly ever wrote their own songs but you can't deny that due to their skills,interpretation, dedication that they are CALYPSONIANS.

Any credit given to Belafonte would be due to the fact that he was a pioneer, paving the way for the real calypsonians but I doubt Sparrow would give him that credit on the basis of the last verse of his tribute to Lord Melody at 5.30 mins

Link Text

analyst-kid 2018-01-25 13:04:34 

I MORE like what sgtdjones said a "folk singer of Caribbean songs".

That sounds better for Belafonte than a "calypso singer"

sgtdjones 2018-01-25 13:11:00 

The earliest form of Calypso

Calypso recordings. The first identifiably calypso genre song was recorded in 1912, by T&T Lovey's String Band while visiting New York City. In 1914, the second calypso song was recorded, this time in Trinidad, by chantwell Julian Whiterose, better known as the Iron Duke and famous calinda stick-fighter.

Lovey's String Band 1912

Calypso, a type of folk song primarily from Trinidad though sung elsewhere in the southern and eastern Caribbean islands. The subject of a calypso text, usually witty and satiric, is a local and topical event of political and social import, and the tone is one of allusion, mockery, and double entendre.

Calypso War- Lord Invader, Macbeth the Great, Duke of Iron.wmv
Recorded in 1946

Was Harry singing such in 1946?

Lord Invader - Rum and coca cola (audio)

Song was written by 'Belasco/Patterson in 1906. Lord Invader (aka Rupert Grant) used the melody and changed the words.

Roaring Lion - Ugly Woman (1934)

Wilmoth Houdini - Black But Sweet 1931

Lord Caresser - Edward VIII 1916

Lord Melody - Belmont Jackass 1946

analyst-kid 2018-01-25 13:15:36 

This borrowing songs is a whole topic in itself.

I heard the great late Roaring Lion said in a famous radio interview along with myself, Mighty Gabby and Tony Grazettes that he wrote the song DE VIRGIN MARY HAD A BABY BOY.

This is also one of Belafonte's big ones he utilised.

But my mentor, a Trinidadian Ansyl Marquez ( friend of Jazzy Pantin and chief kaiso archivist Rocky McCollin) told me that dead men tell no tales meaning that Lion could say so now that King Radio,Execuor,Growling Tiger, Atila had all passed on SO NOONE to challenge him.

As I said, MARYANN. MATHILDA, BROWN SKIN GYAL and other famous folk songs are shrouded in mystery in respect of who really created them. SLY MONGOOSE is Jamaican however and a CALYPSONIAN friend of mine in Guyana always claimed his father wrote that song about the natural herbs and remedies (MAN PYAMA WOMAN PYAMA, GRANNY BACKBONE.....)

pelon 2018-01-25 13:18:23 

In reply to analyst-kid

I wouldn't consider himself a calypsonian...but a calypso singer yes he has played his part.

Noted got you, and agree with that statement: he sang calypsos.

Some of those early recording out of TNT are priceless, sarge here is another mid century classic: Lord Invader

analyst-kid 2018-01-25 13:24:54 

In reply to pelon

Well you know the story about Lord Invader and THE ANDREW SISTERS and his song RUM AND COCA COLA? He took them to court and received a fair settlement.

Lord Invader

Andrew Sisters

analyst-kid 2018-01-25 13:26:45 

Duke of Iron Last Train to San Fernando

Johnny Duncan

johndom90 2018-01-25 13:54:58 

In reply to pelon

Agreed..its an interesting thread..more so because all participants recognise Belafonte made huge footprints with his many and varied contribution to the wider society.....social and otherwise.

The man was versatile....the Gary Sobers of Civil rights if you please...he brought everything to the table.....and....a fantastic folk singer who sang calypsoes.... smile.

analyst-kid 2018-01-25 14:03:52 

Harry Belafonte Lucy's Door

Clarence Thompson Lucy's Door

pelon 2018-01-25 14:04:41 

In reply to johndom90

Well done! smile

His personal funding of said causes (fueled by his performances) stands out (to me) more so than his "calypso/folk signing".
I hold him in the highest regard for his civil rights contributions.

He was mighty proud of his Jamaican mother and his time living in JA as a boy.... something our diaspora leaves untouched when writing the arc of our musical heritage.

Anyhow.... I going and browse the TNT pics... ah gone

johndom90 2018-01-25 14:18:51 

In reply to pelon

Lol....leff dem omman alone....i ent touching that thread..... big grin

cedaw 2018-01-25 14:56:09 

This thread is pure gold. Deepest thanks to the contributors so far for the education and insight

sgtdjones 2018-01-25 15:11:02 

In reply to johndom90

Give Pelon another bit of T&T stick fighting "bois".

cool cool cool

JayMor 2018-01-25 17:02:46 

Wonderful thread for sure. Even big ole grey-tone me learned a ting or two. I wish guys like Nev, DonD, Hubie, etc. would give a look in.

I'll inject a couple things...
    (i) The word more than likely has evolved. Not all of what was Calypso then would be classified such today or even 20-30 years after then ...in the main, that is. Similarly, for instance, I am (we are) watching 'Reggae' get redefined right before my/our own eyes; dancehall and all sorts of modern mixup is being called Reggae now.
    (ii) The word 'Calypso' was very much used by Jamaicans for Mento music, and that would cover Belafonte's time on the island. Musicians and musically keen folks knew the distinction, but the two were often conflated. Then, also, an oldster once even told me that Mento was just one kind of Calypso.

Harry Belafonte and Mento Music.

--Æ.

Chrissy 2018-01-25 17:44:04 

In reply to DirtyDan

That is true but he also popularized the genre.

Ewart 2018-01-26 15:04:00 

In reply to Headley

Some may understand the importance of the Port Antonio reference.

On this thread? These days??

Only a very few.

//

Ewart 2018-01-26 15:05:28 

In reply to JahJah

lol lol lol

//

Ewart 2018-01-26 15:06:15 

In reply to JayMor

lol lol lol lol

//

Ewart 2018-01-26 15:18:28 

In reply to JayMor

The word more than likely has evolved.

Word!

big grin

//

Benjie 2018-01-26 16:00:18 

In reply to johndom90

Wasnt Lord Creator ( circa 1960) a Jamaican Calypsonian ?

Ewart 2018-01-26 16:45:09 

In reply to Benjie

lol ............. and Lord Brynner too.

//

pelon 2018-01-26 17:01:40 

In reply to Ewart

.... Lord Flea
.... Lord Lebby
Hubert Porter

Benjie 2018-01-26 18:30:14 

In reply to Ewart

Creators song for Independence in 1962 is a classic

sgtdjones 2018-01-26 19:15:39 

Lord Creator (born Kentrick Patrick, circa 1940, San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago)

Kade Simon was born in Erin, Trinidad. Taking inspiration from the actor Yul Brynner, he adopted the stage name Lord Brynner, together with the shaved head of the actor, and became a popular calypsonian in the late 1950s

newdread 2018-01-27 09:52:34 

In reply to pelon

Hubert Porter

Link Text

JahJah 2018-01-27 10:44:41 

In reply to sgtdjones

Harry, is an American.

Harry is pretty much both American and Jamaican. Never forget he grew up in Jamaica. It's not like he is Colin Powell (born in the USA to Jamaican parents but grew up only in the USA)...who he has beef with.

johndom90 2018-01-27 10:53:20 

education and insight
In reply to cedaw

That''s one of the things that attracted me to this Board way back when...the opportunity to get insights and perspectives on varied subject matters caribbean or related..such as this thread was. Unfortunately most times , discussion degenerates into pissing contests, gran charge and bravado....not Bravos....lol. Some ah that is good as well but not so it deflects.

Norm 2018-01-27 14:53:11 

In reply to pelon

Harry Belafonte was an invisible man funding many efforts to improve life for Black people in America.

One of those unseen greats.

Good musician too! He may have deliberately avoided the ska music style of his day, because of it's lack of international success at the time. His choice of a calypso-like style may have been influenced by the large Puerto Rican and Cuban communities on the US East Coast - and by calypso music in the Caribbean.

Regardless of the reasons, his choice of style brought him success in the US as a professional musician, while maintaining his cultural ties to Caribbean culture.

That too is another tribute to the outstanding skills of the man.

pelon 2018-01-27 19:30:21 

In reply to Norm

Co-sign, exactly my position.

The first line, on the first page in my thread was: Singularly the greatest LIVING philanthropic social activist [from our diaspora].

the "from our diaspora" is a nod to this Caribbean man - that which some in our region don't attach

sgtdjones 2018-01-27 22:41:09 

In reply to JahJah

What has he done for Jamaica?

Please enlighten me? Since I do not know.

pelon 2018-01-28 00:15:34 

In reply to sgtdjones

What has he done for Jamaica?

Coming from you, I know it is a genuine question and not a facetious, snarky pseudo-bitch question.

A good way to start to answer that is to ask another: What has Sparrow done for your Trinidad and Tobago? I know.... gasp... sounds crazy right.

He was not born in Trinidad. He has not overtly made significant acts of generosity in the public domain to Trinidad... yet the very tangible contribution he made in Trinidad (and the globe)..... would never be questioned by you (or anyone)...

Therein lay the ethos of Belafonte.

Stop and think, when he was signing Calypso/Mento and selling millions of albums in the 50s - 60s while signing the praises of Jamaica and his heritage... the very real impact this would have had on Jamaican Tourism industry.

The sad part in all of this is we have simply forgotten.

Not from within our generation, so his tangibles have vaporized.

Almost every article for 40 years on the man spoke glowingly of Jamaica and/or his mothers influence and/or the influence his youth IN Jamaica had...

If you still need further tangibles and don't see this ambassadorial role... let me know... but please don't feel that because a man does not promote his contribution that he has not done so... in many different ways....

Have u done anything, quietly for the region? If yes, please give the man some respect.

LINK 1

Honor to whom honor is due

Chrissy 2018-01-28 06:53:08 

In reply to JahJah

For a Yardie who doesn't even live in his own country, your jingoism can be overbearing. Harry had a much larger vision of the Caribbean than you do - geez.

Chrissy 2018-01-28 06:57:53 

In reply to analyst-kid

There is no doubt that Harry took copyright privileges for granted, but so did Byron Lee.

Nice thread Pelon
lol

JahJah 2018-01-28 09:12:35 

In reply to Chrissy

Christine, go concentrate on curing your anti-semitism. Oh wait, you can't be so - You have a jewish friend.

You don't know the first thing about me. I don't need to live in Jamaica to satisfy you. I also don't need to continually explain to you what stake I have in the country.

See, this is the point a lot of idiots don't seem to grasp. You don't need to live in a country 'to do something good' for it.

You have a lot of living there who are doing absolutely no good for the nation, like the murderers, but they live there, so that's all good in your warped view.

And you're an educator??

JahJah 2018-01-28 09:23:34 

In reply to sgtdjones

What must one 'do' for Jamaica to be a Jamaican? Pay taxes? Build school? Live there their entire lives? Walk around with clothing with "Jamaica" on it everywhere they go? Must have served in the JDF?

Also, what should one 'not do' in order to be one. Not kill Jamaican born, bred and domiciled children...or even adult? Not steal from Jamaicans? Not speak ill of the country?

What exactly is the criteria?

analyst-kid 2018-01-28 11:15:22 

People must remember calypso went international in the 1950s with the Andrew Sisters and Hollywood stars like Robert Mitchum singing calypso.

Calypso went international. Way before ska reggae and soca did. And Belafonte was at the forefront of this movement leading the way with Day-O, Jamaica Farewell, Island in the Sun, Mama look a boo boo dey and Shame and Scandal.

As I said earlier and Christine now reiterated, copyright privileges were taken for granted and a legend like the late Lord Melody was never fairly compensated.

analyst-kid 2018-01-28 11:20:59 

Based on todays copyright agencies, Lord Melody would have made thousands on the success and international airplay and live performances of Mama Look a Boo Boo Dey and Shame and Scandal.

Belafonte and Nat King Cole

Lord Melody performing his song live in the calypso tent in Trinidad

sgtdjones 2018-01-31 19:24:31 

In reply to pelon

Singularly the greatest LIVING philanthropic social activist [from our diaspora]. Countless social causes AND persons benefited from this great man, directly and in-directly from monthly support (including the MLK family, his anti-aparthide support, countless musicians, activist etc.)

I was curious if he did any philanthropic benefits towards his mother's homeland?
No disrespect intended.

Sparrow did a lot for T&T by means of employment ,paying taxes,help build a recording industry etc, plus his name signified Calypso from Two lil islands.

sgtdjones 2018-01-31 19:25:42 

In reply to JahJah

Please see the above.No criteria.

Just mere curiosity

pelon 2018-01-31 20:16:32 

In reply to sgtdjones

And if you read up on some more, you would see he brought millions into Jamaica long long ago... and investments as per Butch Stewart and countless others...