The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Fidel Edwards!!!!!!

Emir 2018-02-03 11:56:08 

Whew-

1. For all his experience, his attitude and demeanor towards the umpire for his wide deliveries is juvenile and unprofessional- Professional bowlers have a subtle way in showing dissent for tight wide calls, but what Fidel did is inexcusable.

2. He looks fit, still has lots of pace and running in hard and fast- good stuff

3. Now that he is playing in this tourney, albeit for Hampshire, does this qualify him to be eligible for selection to the WI team? As per the WICBC rules regarding eligibility?

Bestian 2018-02-03 12:55:05 

Fidel is doing nothing that he wasn't doing before..... And no he is not eligible to play for the West Indies. He is playing for Hampshire as a Kolpak player

Emir 2018-02-03 13:06:49 

In reply to Bestian

He is playing for Hampshire as a Kolpak player

Thanks for your reply.

Is it that simple? The WICBC rules stipulates a West Indian player must participate in the tournament to qualify- it does not stipulate which team you must play for. In addition, being a KOLPAK player is an English policy, it had nothing to do with WI selection criteria.

Anyone, I am wrong?

I stand to be corrected.

cherri 2018-02-03 17:02:01 

In reply to Emir

Who is a Kolpak player?

A player becomes eligible to sign for a county under the Kolpak deal only after he gives up his right to play for his country. According to rules, a Kolpak player must not have represented his country in the past 12 months and during the period of his contract with a county, he will not be eligible to represent his country. The Kolpak players will be eligible to play for England after plying their trade in the country for four years.

Emir 2018-02-03 21:30:29 

In reply to cherri

Thank you, I wasn't aware of that. Is it binding on other countries.