The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Windies‘A' to face England Lions in Pink Ball “Test”

CaribbeanCricket.com 2018-02-04 07:59:21 

ST JOHN’S, Antigua – The Selection Panel of Cricket West Indies (CWI) today announced the WINDIES “A” Team squad for three-match “Test” Series against England Lions in the Caribbean.

The four-day matches will run from February 11 to March 1 and will feature a “Test” using the pink ball. This will be the final match under lights at the Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Ground in Antigua. Play will start at 2pm (1pm Jamaica Time).

The other matches will be Trelawney Multiplex and Sabina Park in Jamaica. First ball is 10am (11 am Eastern Caribbean Time).

The Windies “A” Team will be led by left-handed opener Kieran Powell, with Shamarh Brooks as the vice captain. Following the “Tests” Windies “A” will face England Lions in three 50-over matches at the Coolidge Cricket Ground in Antigua. The squad for these matches will be named at a later date.

-teaser-

FULL SQUAD
Kieran Powell (captain), Shamarh Brooks (vice captain), Jermaine Blackwood
John Campbell, Rahkeem Cornwall, Miguel Cummins
Shane Dowrich, Jahmar Hamilton, Keon Joseph
Jeremiah Louis, Raymon Reifer, Vishaul Singh
Jomel Warrican

Commenting on the squad, chairman Courtney Browne said: “With a strong England Lions team touring the Caribbean, the selection panel felt that it was a good opportunity to strengthen the A team with some of our Test players who will not have the opportunity to play any first-class cricket ahead of the Sri Lanka series. This series also provides some of the incumbent Test players the opportunity to restate a claim for a position in the Test match squad for the what will be two important home series (vs Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in June and July).”

Browne added: “The team also includes several players who have been part of the ‘A’ Team programme before and we believe their focus should be on performances that will elevate them to the senior team. We originally included Shermon Lewis, an exciting young fast bowler, but he had to withdraw due to injury. His replacement is Jeremiah Louis, a talented swing bowler, who did really well during the PCL four-day season. He is also a capable batsman and will fit well into this set-up. The panel wishes the team and its management every success on their journey.”

MATCH SCHEDULE
1st “Test” – Trelawny Multiplex, Jamaica
Sunday, February 11 to Wednesday, February 14

2nd “Test” – Sabina Park, Jamaica
Sunday, February 18 to Wednesday, February 21

3rd “Test” – Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Ground, Antigua
Monday, February 26 to Thursday, March 1

Full Story

BeatDball 2018-02-04 08:12:52 

Where is DJohnson? Why the omission? A lefty pacer is always a plus! Anyway, I like this WInning A Team.
cool

timeless99 2018-02-04 08:14:19 

No Devon Smith or ramdin

hubert 2018-02-04 08:26:33 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

looks like a decent squad..would have loved to see Moti, Bramble and Leveridge in the set up.
The latter must be hurt as he is not in the Super 50 squad or reserves.
The presence of Louis is indeed welcomed from this quarter but I would have kept Blackwood
in the Super50.Seems the selectors are hell bent on making rock out of diamond in the longer format.
The young batsman Carty would have been a good pick in my view. But his time must be near.Hope
he gets in the 50 Overs squad.

jballer84 2018-02-04 08:40:07 

In reply to BeatDball

Delorn is fat and a shell of his old self. He's just a region bowler right now smile

Pacy 2018-02-04 08:40:36 

In reply to hubert

I was hoping to see Kemo Paul in the Squad. That is the only concern otherwise a good squad.

mikesiva 2018-02-04 09:36:30 

In reply to Pacy

How Hamilton made the side ahead of Bramble is a mystery to me....

TanteMerle 2018-02-04 09:41:03 

In reply to timeless99

Looks like they dunn wid dem.

rolleyes rolleyes

Randum tricked people by putting aside
de gloves to concentrate on batting.

Smith is just a dung heap bully.

Now my choice, just my opinion
looking at the selections.

anthonyp 2018-02-04 09:41:49 

In reply to mikesiva

How Warrican made the squad ahead of Permaul?

TanteMerle 2018-02-04 09:43:41 

In reply to anthonyp

Why any of the two be in.

rolleyes rolleyes

NYCGURU 2018-02-04 09:59:37 

In reply to jballer84

Past his sell date at 29. Was at the doorsteps, but never kicked the door in for whatever reasons.

Narper 2018-02-04 10:05:55 

In reply to anthonyp

How Warrican made the squad ahead of Permaul?

If they picked Permaul...then questions would be asked about Miller

So they go for the bajan big grin

doosra 2018-02-04 10:07:34 

In reply to Narper

you hit that nail right on its head man

bare trickery

doosra 2018-02-04 10:08:28 

In reply to anthonyp

he is a Bajan

Permaul has outperformed him at Regionals yet he continues to get central contract year after year

where is he from and where is the chairman of seletors from?

doosra 2018-02-04 10:09:05 

And why is Kemo Paul not in that set up?

hubert 2018-02-04 10:10:06 

In reply to Pacy
Yes.Kemo for sure.I Like him a lot.He is a MUST for the 50 over squad.If not...
Brown and selectors should be fired.
Serman Lewis and the Jamaican yongster,a pacer Smith should be near that squad too.
I am disappointed that Moti is not in the 'A' squad for the 'Tests'. He has not been
given needed opportunity to develop and deserves it. But let's see with the 50over squad.

doosra 2018-02-04 10:11:18 

Hamilton barely score a run in the last year or 2

Bramble doing everything he can

yet who gets picked

COB is a crook and that is not new...was he the one who presented wrong stats to a previous cos??

mkcharles 2018-02-04 11:06:12 

In reply to hubert

Did you not hear Sherman Lewis was in the squad but is now injured?

openning 2018-02-04 11:43:08 

In reply to Narper

If they picked Permaul...then questions would be asked about Miller

Miller has been selected in the ODI squad.
They are two guys that I don't understand their selection, Ashley Nurse and Warrican
Warrican is a Robot and Nurse is strictly a club cricketer and a fairly good slip fielder, thats all.

dayne 2018-02-04 12:05:52 

It is interesting that V Singh is being persisted with, he was described as a 'walking wicket ' in the only Test series he played and have not done anything of note since then. However I think Permaul should have given another try along with Hodge from the Leeward Islands.

hawk 2018-02-04 12:47:03 

In reply to doosra

don't you think Bramble would need at least another season.....I mean he has been around for a while now and this season is the only one of note.

hawk 2018-02-04 12:48:38 

In reply to openning

Nurse, Premaul nor warrican should be selected, we should be going forward with pace, keemo paul and Chemar Holder should have been selected here

Narper 2018-02-04 12:49:51 

In reply to openning

Miller has been selected in the ODI squad.

Got me there

Then it must be Mudland has met its spin quota

Narper 2018-02-04 12:51:13 

In reply to hawk

In reply to doosra

don't you think Bramble would need at least another season.....I mean he has been around for a while now and this season is the only one of note

So as they usually do....pick him next year....even if he goes off the boil next season...

Narper 2018-02-04 12:53:21 

In reply to doosra

Hamilton barely score a run in the last year or 2

Even the GM King admitted this season that Bramble has gone ahead of Hamilton....that tells you how poorly Hamilton was performing wink

Hamilton averaged 16 from 13 innings with 1x50
Bramble averaged 47 from 15 innings ....1 ton and 4x50s

2018 stats here

hawk 2018-02-04 12:57:25 

In reply to Narper

he would need at a minimum a decent season, Hamilton has had a quite under his belt, and is the incumbent A team keeper, maybe if Hamilton fails Bramble could get a game, early times yet

Kay 2018-02-04 13:24:53 

In reply to hawk

There is a criteria called 'what have you done for me lately'. If we want to go back a few years then let's call up Shiv again

hawk 2018-02-04 13:34:20 

In reply to Kay

i get what you all are saying, but i still have hamilton ahead of bramble at this stage even though it is not that far, maybe he will feature later

PS i would happy to have Shiv back

camos 2018-02-04 13:36:36 

In reply to Kay

There is a criteria called 'what have you done for me lately'

Is that a higher standard than what have you ever done?

hubert 2018-02-04 14:00:37 

In reply to mkcharles
No .Did not hear. That explains it then. That youngster has a lot upside.

imusic 2018-02-04 14:34:14 

In reply to Narper

Warrican has a retainer contract and he “disciplined” therefore a place must be found for him.

Maispwi 2018-02-04 18:19:58 

In reply to hubert

Moti may have to leave Guyana to develop. Guyana bowls Permaul twice as often as him in most games the two of them play

BeatDball 2018-02-05 18:02:35 

In reply to jballer84 Skites bai, U jook mih bwoy hard! Anyway, gwine still support him as he shares birthday with me!

big grin

mikesiva 2018-02-06 15:17:21 

In reply to hawk

Hamilton failed in the last A team series. How many failures does he need to have before Bramble finally gets a chance?

granite 2018-02-07 12:02:03 

KP is a lucky boy,the selectors really believe in him,given more chances to get better and cement his place again,some win all de time,others garn in no time.

imusic 2018-02-07 13:08:25 

In reply to granite

Makes sense that KP and Dowrich and Blackwood and Reifer and Cummins get opportunities to play, even at A team level.