The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Cornwall's Fitness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

solidrock 2018-02-04 19:31:24 

Even re: fitness this young man has broken the 'glass ceiling.' When will people stop putting barriers for this class young man?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ray 2018-02-04 19:41:05 

he need to lose some weight....he putting barrier in front himself

Kay 2018-02-04 19:43:31 

In reply to ray

he need to lose some weight....he putting barrier in front himself

Steeups!!! I only see he putting runs on the scoreboard consistently ....

Windies2017 2018-02-04 19:44:17 

In reply to ray

he is constantly losing weight while still putting up stats

Windies2017 2018-02-04 19:44:33 

In reply to Kay

ignorance

voiceofreason 2018-02-04 19:51:02 

In reply to ray

Hey Skunt!

He lost 28 pounds but regardless who else putting up runs and taking wickets?

hubert 2018-02-04 20:24:51 

In reply to voiceofreason
Big Corn should have been in the Big team already. Size does not matter
in this case.Performing does.Hope he does well for 'A' team too.

imusic 2018-02-04 20:27:03 

In reply to hubert

Ah hope yuh have dem same lyrics if or when he makes it to international level.

Runs 2018-02-04 20:27:53 

Drop 30 more youth you can do it

hubert 2018-02-04 20:34:25 

In reply to imusic

I think I will smile

Norm 2018-02-04 20:37:58 

In reply to imusic

Ah hope yuh have dem same lyrics if or when he makes it to international level.

No praise for the non-Trinis, as usual.

ray 2018-02-04 20:38:36 

He will be a huge embarrassment at the international level

Norm 2018-02-04 20:46:04 

In reply to ray

He will be a huge embarrassment at the international level

Just like the current lot of WI players, right? Even with his weight challenges, he will give a better account of himself, at ANY level, than the current lot of "pretend" WI cricketers - who have no such challenge to wrestle with.

ray 2018-02-04 21:02:52 

In reply to Norm

Wish him well...
I don't see it thougb

Ewart 2018-02-04 23:23:32 

In reply to hubert

Agreed. No need to hold him back.

//

Pacy 2018-02-05 00:24:42 

In reply to ray

Will the scorecard show a century scored by Rakeem less than the one scored by Shai Hope?

At the end of the day runs, wickets and economy trump all other intangibles. He would be a huge improvement in the WI ODI side.

Verstehen 2018-02-05 02:44:22 

In reply to Pacy

I support the young man, but sorry my juvenile self couldn't help laughing at this

He would be a huge improvement in the WI ODI side.

I'll bet he will... lol lol lol lol

Pacy 2018-02-05 03:12:20 

In reply to Verstehen

lol lol lol

Today Ashley Nurse is the regular spinner. I feel, Rakheem Cornwall is better than him with the bat and ball. May he can be a -ve in the field but still net net he can be an advantage.

A Bowling line up with Russel, Rakheem, Carlos Brathwaite would make WI lower order much stronger.

CricketLuva4 2018-02-05 07:16:57 

In reply to solidrock

I may be wrong, but watching the game yesterday live, he appeared to have lost some weight. Could be camera angle.

Pacy 2018-02-05 08:24:10 

In reply to CricketLuva4

How much ever he loses weight he is never going to look like a Devon Smith or Sammy brother. He can work on his fittness and weight as he goes... today he is among the runs and wickets and deserves a run as he is today.

voiceofreason 2018-02-05 08:31:11 

In reply to CricketLuva4

Commies said they spoke to him and he did lose 28 lbs. Yes he has lost weight! What difference does it make? Who else putting up numbers like Jimbo?:

camos 2018-02-05 08:32:28 

I don't think the youth is fit, but he is fit enough to play on the current WI team,I would exchange him for Nurse. Better bat ,better bowler.

analyst-kid 2018-02-05 08:33:56 

Free Cornwall and let him play for the WI!

My favorite player!

TanteMerle 2018-02-05 08:40:10 

In reply to solidrock

International bowlers would not bowl
all those long hops and half-volleys.

Cornwall was struggling for breath.
Even change pads to get a blow.

Cannot rotate the strike, cause he cant run,

With the likes ah Gayle, Samuels, Hope
who cannot rotate strike,
why de hell would Wondies use he.

Liability in field also.

Sorry. cant use him.

cry

camos 2018-02-05 08:41:44 

In reply to TanteMerle

Nurse not better at any of the faults you listed.

DIEHARD 2018-02-05 08:48:23 

In reply to TanteMerle

Cannot rotate the strike, cause he cant run,

With the likes ah Gayle, Samuels, Hope
who cannot rotate strike,
why de hell would Wondies use he.

Are you forking kidding..check the stats 39 dot balls off 94 deliveries...he has as many singles as dot balls, please continue to inspect the scorecards closely...to see which other batsmen in the regional tournament come close to replicating that feat.

In Guyana's innings Leon Johnson by contrast made 99 off 94 deliveries...45 dot balls...31 singles, but he looked relaxed i suppose, and is much fitter than Cornwall?

I know who i would rather have on my ODI team...y'all people have a problem with facts and figures..cricket is about runs and wickets..not who can run a 5K in the quickest time.

We have an ODI team packed with subpar batsmen...these guys are not good enough to keep Jimbo on the sidelines

doosra 2018-02-05 08:56:22 

In reply to DIEHARD

Cornwall ran about 40 singles last night

DIEHARD 2018-02-05 09:10:42 

In reply to doosra

Dem naah watch de game..dem a watch de man pants size.

Some of these fans suspect!!!
lol lol lol

Larr Pullo 2018-02-05 09:33:10 

In reply to DIEHARD

Do you guys really understand the gap between List A, OUR List A, and International ODI's?

As soon as Cornwall walks out to bat they'll test his fitness by throwing to the end he's running to all the time, to make him hurry and stress test him. How long do you think he'll last before the pressure gets to him?

camos 2018-02-05 09:39:27 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Cornwall can clear the field,he is going to bat at 6 or below when the other side trying to save fence. So he will always get easy singles.

Larr Pullo 2018-02-05 09:47:49 

In reply to camos

It's not about easy singles, it's about forcing him to run ALL the time by throwing to whatever end he's going to. This ensures that he can't just jog in. They will test his fitness like you wouldn't believe.

hubert 2018-02-05 10:01:24 

In reply to ray
He is capable of taking l o n g singles. He will adapt because he is a good cricketer;
and the ability to launch big hits is a telling factor.
wink

camos 2018-02-05 10:06:45 

In reply to hubert

you are right bro! you guys enjoying the win?

Andy99 2018-02-05 10:11:34 

Will be a valuable member of the team

DIEHARD 2018-02-05 10:11:43 

In reply to Larr Pullo

So nobody in List A trying to run him out?

How long do you think he'll last before the pressure gets to him?

I know this much..the guys we have currently look seriously underwhelming.

Give him the same chance.

Maispwi 2018-02-05 10:16:23 

In reply to DIEHARD

For a man who is not fit he has run 101 of his runs with the other 172 coming in boundaries. And dat eh counting running other batsmen's runs. No other player has ran as many runs as him in de tournament thus far and dey supposed to be fitter.

The players with higher strike rates have scored less dan half his runs combined

DIEHARD 2018-02-05 10:19:43 

In reply to Maispwi

A joker de whole a dem.NUFF o dem suspect!!!

A watch man body!!

A de scoreboard man a watch!!!

Fix up unu self!!!

lol lol lol lol

hubert 2018-02-05 10:40:20 

In reply to camos
Oh yes. Parade is Wednesday. And Bud light is providing a beer for everyone.
A player Johnson had offered to do so if they won the SB. Then Bud decided to pick up the tab.
Don't know how they can do this and at a parade too ?
This is one crazy City when it comes to fan support..the leadership follows the people in
the Tri State area...Delaware,South Jersey and Philly region.
Got to see this to believe it. Crazy .good
lol lol lol lol lol

TanteMerle 2018-02-05 11:49:02 

In reply to DIEHARD

Listen Bro, don't kill me.
I watched the game.

I did not see the requisite urgency
necessary to compete in internationals.

BTW: I don't see it in many of the Wondies.

Just saying that in order to compete in
international with the top teams,
one must display urgency at the crease.

As for Johnson, Leewards bowling/pelting
was far better than Guyana.
Guyana bowled bare shite.

I would have beaten that bowling myself.

Whether or not you admit it.
Cornwall is not international standard.

natty_forever 2018-02-05 12:06:06 

In reply to TanteMerle... huh?

DIEHARD 2018-02-05 12:46:39 

In reply to natty_forever

Cornwall is international standard.

I'm assuming his last sentence is a typo lol lol lol

Or ..he just finally let the truth slip
cool

OkOk..even if he wanna say Jimbo isnt international standard...I got news for you...we barely have 3 international standard ODI batsmen...Gayle, Lewis and Samuels....Gayle in decline, and the other two woefully inconsistent.

So...can get no worse

Judgement 2018-02-05 14:57:21 

In reply to Larr Pullo and In reply to TanteMerle

Thank god there are some folk here who understand the difference in quality between regional and international level. These jokers see our already fit batsmen dominating at regional level then consistently failing at international level yet scream for Cornwall to be selected when he is easy prey for a team like Australia or India to build a strategy around. They think he will succeed when so many already fit batsmen before him fail at international level rolleyes The man had to retire hurt in a CPL match last year because he was TIRED and Pollard said the same about his (lack of) fitness to his face. The fact these jokers feel international cricket is just about batting says it all yawn.

DIEHARD 2018-02-05 15:13:04 

In reply to Judgement

See post above..

we barely have 3 international standard ODI batsmen...Gayle, Lewis and Samuels....Gayle in decline, and the other two woefully inconsistent.

So...can get no worse

U misunderstood..u think i believe he can replicate this level of performance internationally??

No..i'm jus saying he'll be more successful than the other pretenders, and please..if international batting is not about runs...please..tell me..what is it about?

I have GOT to hear this answer

Bigzinc 2018-02-05 15:23:54 

In reply to DIEHARD

I like Cornwall and he has earned a call up. However, his game is built on hitting boundaries and not sure he is going to find freebies at the international level as he does in dung heap. He is going to have to run quick singles and how long can he keep that up for. Can you imagine him batting with someone who runs very quickly? He has to help his partner and the team too.

Cornwall can quickly become a liability to the team if he is up against a quality attack or a difficult pitch where he has to graft.

aliaskid13 2018-02-05 15:39:53 

They will test his fitness like you wouldn't believe.

So you don't think teams already try that? Don't they already try that when he play on the A team? What has been the result? Don't he just make his runs anyway? At the international level they'll have a better chance of getting him out by exploiting a weakness in his technique, not in his alleged lack of fitness. Cause clearly, he know how to make runs and take wickets.

DIEHARD 2018-02-05 16:18:36 

In reply to Bigzinc

Check the stats..no other batsman scoring a century this super 50..has as many singles...or a dot ball %age < 50

DIEHARD 2018-02-05 16:25:11 

In reply to Bigzinc

Cornwall can quickly become a liability to the team if he is up against a quality attack or a difficult pitch where he has to graft.

Well let they run his ass out..i rather see that than this dot ball festival i see every time WI ODI team plays

Walco 2018-02-05 16:27:33 

CWI sent Cornwall to a weight loss clinic in Florida after the CPL and he lost 30 pounds in one month. The plan is to see how he does on his own and send him back to the facility later this year if he shows commitment to the regimen. Since his weight loss is now 28 pounds instead of 30, it appears that he has regained 2 pounds. If I were CWI, I would send Cornwall back to that clinic after the English Lions tour and install him into the ODI team post haste.

Judgement 2018-02-05 17:14:00 

In reply to Walco

CWI also sent him to an Olympic athlete facility in the US not so long ago where he lost a lot of weight quickly but then doubled it back on when he got home. There is a pattern.

Judgement 2018-02-05 17:24:01 

In reply to Bigzinc

Exactly. Very easy target for the dangerous Aussies and the meticulous Indians. If CWI are investing so much money and effort into him and still not playing him in the senior team, that speaks volumes.

goofballs 2018-02-05 17:26:15 

In reply to Walco

Since his weight loss is now 28 pounds instead of 30, it appears that he has regained 2 pounds
You know some people gain 5 lbs after they eat and can poop out 5?

Two lbs is nothing to talk about.
smile

TanteMerle 2018-02-05 17:54:35 

In reply to DIEHARD

I just got back here and saw my typo.

Duly corrected and in bold to boot.

lol lol lol

TanteMerle 2018-02-05 17:59:50 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Preach it bro.

People here cannot se the difference
between dung heap and international standard.

The bowling from Guyana sucked bug time.

I was watching and as a batsman salivating.

You would not gt that against the
top 8 tams in the world.

That is out aim.

The fact that people like Shai et al
can't score fast against this shite
it distressing.

Wondies lost.

TheTrail 2018-02-05 18:49:08 

For regional standard, Cornwall is a good batsman; however, I do not know when/if he gets to the senior level if he will shine, and I am not in a position to guesstimate his future.

All I know is what I have seen when he was batting early in the Regional four day, he was labouring when trying to run singles.

I saw him hitting the ball into the deep and only running a single while his partner was halfway down the wicket for the second run. I told a colleague who was watching it with me: he is going to run himself out if he thinks this guy is going to run two runs.

In international cricket, keeping the scoreboard turning over is definitely a requirement...