The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Alvin Kallicharan on Virat Kohli...

Devin 2018-02-09 20:41:54 

Link Text

Narper 2018-02-09 20:54:55 

Viv was a batting genius....absolutely no doubt about dat

But one big difference.

Viv Richards played in a genuine champion team...his teammates were all world class batsmen and world class bowlers....Viv had dat luxury

In the batting department Kohli stands alone in the batting department...in recent times if he fails... the team fails....more like Brian Lara in his WI team.....makes his performance even more phenomenal...

Devin 2018-02-09 21:13:49 

In reply to Narper

Well said. They are both great, no denying that.

Khaga 2018-02-09 21:26:26 

In reply to Devin

One is greater..no need for saying who.. lol

Devin 2018-02-09 21:30:24 

In reply to Khaga

big grin big grin big grin big grin

I don't feel like riling up the natives.

Devin 2018-02-09 21:33:26 

In reply to Khaga

Hussey weighs in on Kohli's greatness:

Link Text

WestDem 2018-02-09 22:01:02 

I have seen and batted like a genuine batsman and that’s from a short pitch, never seen someone like Kohli before, he is the greatest, ask Viv!

outside_edge 2018-02-09 23:29:21 

In reply to WestDem
There is a difference......Kohli is not the greatest, he happens to be the best at this point in time (with all due respect to Steve Smith and Joe Root); but deep down, he knows that in the larger picture and overall scheme, that......Lara, Sobers, Bradman, Sachin and Richards, (and perhaps Gavaskar), in that order, were all better than him. Therefore, the reason for his personal struggle and approach (some may call it arrogant, but he is trying so hard to prove himself, in some shape and form, and consequently his overall attitude leaves much to be desired; unlike the aforementioned names, who all exhibited so much more grace, poise and temperament).

Courtesy 2018-02-10 03:46:19 

Folks just try to imagine Sir Viv with the protection of a helmet knowing the chances of getting hit on the head is slim.

When Kohli bats BIG Pace without a helmet and on uncovered pitches in England the comparison can start. Cricketers who played 90+ pace without a helmet know what I am talking about.

Further, try as you may picturing Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards batting with today's big bats without edges...nuff said.

Khaga 2018-02-10 03:51:13 

In reply to Courtesy

Extrapolation is a two way street..

Courtesy 2018-02-10 03:52:47 

In reply to Khaga

Extrapolation is a two way street..

Your turn to extrapolate...I am awaiting anxiously your dissertation.

Please include the psychology of any batsman wearing helmets in modern day cricket.

Khaga 2018-02-10 04:00:07 

In reply to Courtesy

Modern greats would easily adapt to those conditions and score.
Recently I was reading a book by Garry Kasparov,in which he talks about the past master,their preparation techniques contrasting it with the modern champions.. He lays it our clearly without a hint of condescension and acknowledges the accomplishments of Magnus Larsen ,who surpassed Kasparov's rating...
Every sport has evolved and modern Masters dominate the conversations. Are we stuck in the era of wooden rackets and inferior shoes when we talk about Tennis greats ?

Courtesy 2018-02-10 04:34:12 

In reply to Khaga

You are comparing chess which is purely a mental game with one that is mental and physical. I hate to rubbish posters.

Please restrict yourself and itemize the adjustments that modern players have to make which if they don't, would disadvantage them.

While you're at it, comment on field restrictions, two bouncers per over restrictions, bowlers cannot bowl down the keg side, shorter boundaries and DRS in the limited overs game.

Kohli was given out in the last ODI he reviewed...Sir Viv would just have to walk.

And yes...modern cricket has evolved in favour of batsmen.

...Are we stuck in the era of wooden rackets and inferior shoes when we talk about Tennis greats ?

I am not the one making a direct comparison across the various eras. It is crass to so do, particularly with cricket.

My argument is simply this: you cannot in all good conscience compare cricketers directly across eras. The game has been interfered (tinkered) with too much in favour of batsmen. Any direct comparison has to compare oranges to oranges or find a formula to compare oranges to oranges failing this it is crass, ridiculous even.

There is no longer a constant in the equation which makes any comparison silly.

Khaga 2018-02-10 04:48:22 

In reply to Courtesy

Do you realize the bias in the speculation you just posted in specific reference to the rewviw?
Viv benefited from not having a review system equally ,if not more..

Virat Kohli's ability to rotate strike,pick gaps us far superior in the age of Uber athletic Fielding..Viv was just hoisting over the heads of fat slobs..

You don't want to deal with the subject of evolution in all sports in this context because it casts serious question marks over the inferior numbers of your greats.
Now,would you diminish Usain Bolt in comparison with Jesse Owens?
Or a Serena William in comparison with Steffi Graf?
Lewis Hamilton in comparison with Ayrton Senna?

Those are very relevant..

Courtesy 2018-02-10 04:50:24 

In reply to Khaga

Do you realize the bias in the speculation you just posted in specific reference to the rewviw?
Viv benefited from not having a review system equally ,if not more..

Virat Kohli's ability to rotate strike,pick gaps us far superior in the age of Uber athletic Fielding..Viv was just hoisting over the heads of fat slobs..

You don't want to deal with the subject of evolution in all sports in this context because it casts serious question marks over the inferior numbers of your greats.
Now,would you diminish Usain Bolt in comparison with Jesse Owens?
Or a Serena William in comparison with Steffi Graf?
Lewis Hamilton in comparison with Ayrton Senna?

Those are very relevant..

Your reliance on other sports in a vain attempt to gin up support for your position clearly shows how vacuous your arguments have been.

The rules of all these sports you have quoted have not changed considerably over the years...what has changed is the prowess and individual efforts of athletes.

The rules of cricket on the other hand have changed dramatically and to make comparisons across eras are virtually impossible.

Khaga 2018-02-10 04:51:31 

In reply to Courtesy

And yes...modern cricket has evolved in favour of batsmen.

Therefore the bowlers who are excelling in the modern game are superior to the bowlers of the past,since they are battling more adversity..

Hence the modern great batsmen are facing superior bowlers..

robbo 2018-02-10 04:52:29 

In reply to Khaga

So Kohli is greater than Bradman ?

Khaga 2018-02-10 04:55:14 

In reply to robbo

Yes,Virat Kohli is the greatest ODI batsman of all time..

Put up Bradman's ODI numbers if you want to refute..

robbo 2018-02-10 04:56:49 

[b]In reply to Khaga

Didn’t read the original link ... this is all about ODI batting ?

Courtesy 2018-02-10 04:57:20 

In reply to Khaga

Therefore the bowlers who are excelling in the modern game are superior to the bowlers of the past,since they are battling more adversity..

Hence the modern great batsmen are facing superior bowlers..

Brother, please show me how bowlers are excelling in the modern game. You just don't make blanket statements in support of an argument...that is so imbecilic, to say the least.

Put up Bradman's ODI numbers (bowling stats... my edit) if you want to refute..

I concur with what you posted above.

Don't bother responding...I have wasted enough time on you.

Devin 2018-02-10 04:58:17 

In reply to outside_edge

No one will respond to your post because you're a colossal jackass. Even the dumb fu#ks on this MB don't believe that tripe you posted.

And Lara and Viv were far from saintly.

Devin 2018-02-10 04:59:55 

In reply to robbo

How many Test matches did Bradman play in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, South Africa, New Zealand, and the West Indies?

Khaga 2018-02-10 05:03:01 

In reply to robbo

Good..now that you have run to take refuge in Bradman ,Virat is far superior to Viv..

robbo 2018-02-10 05:03:43 

There has never been a better time to be a batsman than in the last 10 years or so... no real pace bowlers... generally super flat wickets... spring loaded ‘no edge’ bats... 50 yard boundaries... suits of armour...in the one day game bowlers virtually forced to bowl in the batsmen’s hitting zone...etc etc

Comparisons are superfluous

Khaga 2018-02-10 05:04:01 

In reply to Devin

You don't have to put in a special effort to rile these guys up.. they rile themselves up..

big grin

Courtesy 2018-02-10 05:04:34 

In reply to robbo

Yes I.

big grin

robbo 2018-02-10 05:07:02 

In reply to Khaga

Not riled... just highly amused

Khaga 2018-02-10 05:24:52 

In reply to robbo

big grin

Devin 2018-02-10 05:47:30 

In reply to robbo

Tell me something, why is Virat by far and away the best ODI batsman in the world? Seeing that every track is flat, every bowler is slow, every bat is wide, why is he by leaps and bounds above the rest?

There should be 5 or 6 guys on his heels.

robbo 2018-02-10 05:56:46 

In reply to Devin

Because he is good... very good... in fact he is an exceptional batsman.. do you really need to ask ?

Khaga 2018-02-10 06:14:01 

In reply to robbo

Still debating if you should add another very?

robbo 2018-02-10 06:29:48 

In reply to Khaga

Nah... that’s enough !

doosra 2018-02-10 07:19:53 

lungi a bowl spin now?

Ngidi to Kohli, SIX, that's outrageous! Rarely did he hit the ball in the air in his two hundreds on this tour until he knew his team was in a dominant position. Here, he's barely in his 30s before he walks down the pitch and launches a length ball straight down the ground. Monstrous hit
big grin

Emir 2018-02-10 07:44:06 

In reply to Narper

Come on Narps, you in this lil boy foolishness too.

The best batter of today's generation cannot compare to the best of past era's where the quality and quantity of bowling and bowlers were far, far superior.

In addition, the evolving batsman friendly laws, better safety conditions and the use of technology and modern fitness and nutrition regimen makes it useless to compare.

Me suspect those 6 West Indian "fans" in here, who big up Kohli to the point of making him "one of their own" is done for racial reasons reflecting a deep inferiority complex. They are very insecure.

I just enjoy each era and Kohli is it in this era.

WestDem 2018-02-10 07:59:22 

In reply to Emir

Why don’t fuck off and stop blaming race all de time. Mine is religious and have to do with Pork eating! Kohli greatness will kill yuh wannabe pressure cooker loving fcuk!

doosra 2018-02-10 08:00:09 

In reply to Emir

which of the following played in the greatest era?

Lara

Viv

Sobers

Khaga 2018-02-10 08:01:10 

In reply to Emir

I suspect you are on this MB to find more recruits..

Emir 2018-02-10 08:04:02 

In reply to doosra

Viv's era was perhaps the greatest- just take a look at the quality and quantity of bowlers and batters.

Lara and Sachin's era was perhaps the last great era for bowlers- since that time the bowling stock has wane considerably

Sir Gary's era was also no push over.

granite 2018-02-10 08:05:26 

All this talk about batsmen being protected,which is what make them good or great does not make sense.Today we should have been overflowing with batsmen like Kholi,Smith,Root,Amla,de Villiers etc.May I add to that,Zimbabwe,Bangladesh,Afghanistan,Ireland and Holland should all have at least one batsman each who could be described as comparable to,Kholi,Smith,de Villiers,Amla etc,it's not so though.
Anyway I read somewhere that Viv Richards said he would not wear a helmet,Isn't it also a fact that more batsmen have been injured since the introduction of all the protective paraphernalia.

doosra 2018-02-10 08:05:40 

In reply to Emir

if i were marking your essay you'd get 1/10 for introductory sentences

doosra 2018-02-10 08:06:48 

In reply to granite

my argument has always been you are a product of your day/environment

i have no doubts that the good modern players, were they to play in the earlier era would have adjusted quite well to uncovered wickets, no helmets etc

ponderiver 2018-02-10 08:17:00 

When Holding uprooted Boycotts stumps in Barbados the stumps cartwheeled a pitch length.
Kohli has never had to face anything of that magnitude.......Come to think of it the medium pacer Jimmy Anderson had him looking like he went to cricketing school in August

The master blaster would make all of the current bowlers beg for mercy and all the time chewing gum with one hand tied behind his back
Lissen up with the current review system Viv's average would be about 150 to rass

Kohli tho he is like Trump he is huge there has never been anyone greater big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin

Emir 2018-02-10 08:25:31 

In reply to granite

All this talk about batsmen being protected,which is what make them good or great does not make sense.

I agree with you, it does not make sense. But that's not the argument, or at least it is not my argument.

I argue this era is one of the easiest of all times for batters- it is no coincidence the bowling stock is the poorest of all times.

This does not mean Kohli, Smith, Root et all isn't good, I enjoy them all and see Kohli above the other two.

The Kohli worship by the 6 in here is insidious and has ulterior motives. They are simply unable to enjoy his batting and leave it at that.

Emir 2018-02-10 08:27:11 

In reply to doosra

if i were marking your essay you'd get 1/10 for introductory sentences

Why you have to be so hard on me this Saturday mornin Professor? big grin

Anyway, ah fix it.

Emir 2018-02-10 08:28:31 

In reply to doosra

i have no doubts that the good modern players, were they to play in the earlier era would have adjusted quite well to uncovered wickets, no helmets etc

Well said

granite 2018-02-10 10:00:14 

In reply to Emir
That is true about bowling stocks,when yo look at England who cannot produce a fast bowler of note,and a test spinner,look at Oz Lyon an off spinner who wouldn't last 5 overs in the days of Viv.These 2 test playing countries have stopped producing world class players,I won't even talk about West Indies,what I say about the rest,seems like everybody is dropping in class.

Emir 2018-02-10 10:05:01 

In reply to granite

.These 2 test playing countries have stopped producing world class players,I won't even talk about West Indies,what I say about the rest,seems like everybody is dropping in class.

Exactly.

Not long ago McGill couldn't get a game for Aus, as Warnie couldn't be replaced. Today, McGill could walk in to any team.

Go back a lil further- Our own Tony Gray and Patrick Patterson were hardy good enough to be back up - imagine the class and abundant of talent- today, these two will be opening bowlers in any international test and ODI teams.

And this is just a few example

goofballs 2018-02-10 10:14:04 

Link just opened for me. I thought was something else!
Kalli uttered 1-2 sentences about attitude!

“The attitude is strong in both. I am one person who wouldn’t like to compare players. But Kohli’s attitude is as ruthless as Viv’s was. Kohli seems to have some of those qualities. He is a successful captain. As a batsman, he is a phenomenon. Always hungry. His consistency is tremendous.”

I always said I like Kohli's attitude as a leader but I won't be hanging around him in social circles.

goofballs 2018-02-10 10:19:52 

Listen to the wise!
"I am one person who wouldn’t like to compare players."
Well, he did point out some common characteristics re attitude.

Khaga 2018-02-11 09:03:53 

Amusing to see some of these ole timers shirking away from "era comparisons", when presented with hard numbers..Why not use the same qualifiers while discussion a Sobers or 3Ws?