The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Tangerine ah gwaaaan good.

Yadi 2018-12-08 15:17:55 

He nuh look pretty in he stance ....

but him effective.

Norm 2018-12-08 17:41:27 

Tage has only one gear - poke, poke, poke. He's probably the worst batsman in the region. What a terrible waste. Not to mention - he's also keeping someone else out of the game.

cricketmygame 2018-12-08 17:49:11 

How many overs windies bat in the last test?

30 something each innings?

Norm 2018-12-08 17:52:02 

In reply to cricketmygame

Better the Hetmyer approach than the Tage or Shai Hope approach. West Indies are better off grooming a generation of Hetmyers than a generation of useless 1-gear pokers.

Ridge 2018-12-08 17:57:15 

In reply to Norm
West Indies can't even groom shi*t at this time.
So stop talk nonsense and let the man bat, even if it is for all four days.

cricketmygame 2018-12-08 18:06:14 

In reply to Norm

The Hety generation don’t want test cricket

Norm 2018-12-08 18:23:24 

In reply to Ridge

Which crap hole did you pop up out of? No wonder you think highly of Tage's crap batting. Now, f*** off.

Norm 2018-12-08 18:24:45 

In reply to cricketmygame

The Hety generation will save Test cricket. The likes of Tage will kill it.

Narper 2018-12-08 18:37:37 

In reply to Norm

I do not agree with you at all

This is FC cricket not T20...12 sessions

In the first innings this Guyana team batted for 69 overs.....when WI replied they batted for 59 overs

If you want to see continuous cowlash...then there is OD and T20

Its high time WI produce batsmen who value their wickets

Very few of the current WI test batsmen can bat 3 full sessions...and that includes Hety....There is place for the Hety(s) and a place for Tage(s).....both types have a role to play

Room for improvement...yes

For years shiv got cuss for being selfish and playing for not out

What's happening today??? Nobody in the WI is capable of even playing for a not out....much less score beig runs

GUYANA JAGUARS 310/4 dec (108.1 Ov)

Chanderpaul 84* (334

STOOPID move to declare now....plenty time left to bowl out WI

ThisIsMyName 2018-12-08 18:38:40 

Why does it have to be one or the other? There are times when a test match calls for a Hetty innings, and times where it requires a Tage innings.

Norm 2018-12-08 18:45:52 

In reply to Narper

Tage is making no progress whatsoever. Even Pujara started to hit the ball around after getting his hundred.

In my opinion, cricket of any sort has no place for those who cannot rise above the basics. Tage needs to learn to accelerate his scoring rate when the situation demands it, or he should not be selected to any territorial team. Shiv was capable of changing gears, even if he chose not to at times when he should have.

Narper 2018-12-08 18:56:47 

In reply to Norm

I have said it before....Tage has stagnated....playing FC for over 5 years now....

But Tage has been in and out of the team...obviously he does not have the confidence....I will bet his rationale is to put runs on the board....otherwise he will be out of the side again

When the selectors sit....they will notice Tage 84*....not Griffith 23 from 36

And lots of time in this game.. to declare on the man at 84*. This decision tells me this is 'opiss like' decision because they think Tage ignored their ORDER to speed up....with more tha 4 sessions left in the game

Norm 2018-12-08 19:05:44 

In reply to Narper

That would be an injustice to players, like Kemol Savory, who have been trying to get into the Jags team for years now. Players should either develop to needed standards or lose their places. No team needs a "batsman" who cannot progress beyond poking - especially after 5 years of opportunities.

Narper 2018-12-08 19:10:57 

In reply to Norm

Really....how old is Tage????

The guy is 22 years old

I guess you prefer a Leon Johnson at 31 years old...after 99 matches and average 32 ...and who bats at a rapid pace but has repeatedly gifted his wicket away...regardless of the state of the game

BTW....Johnson started his FC career at 16 years old too...15 years ago...

Norm 2018-12-08 19:16:39 

In reply to Narper

I want progress, not stagnation or nepotism. Tage can't cut it, so get a new player in.

Narper 2018-12-08 19:25:07 

In reply to Norm

Cameron also posited the view that the problem extends beyond the field of play.

We are challenged as a people as everybody wants the game to be over in three hours and we all want to get rich very, very quickly.”

He noted that at an upcoming board meeting serious decision around Windies cricket policy would have to be made.

Link

Nepotism seems to be rampant in Mudland team selection...poster Anthony and Doosie bring this to our attention...I don't know...

To be honest I have never heard of Kemol Savory.

If there are better batsmen than Tage then I say play them

Is there any batsmen better than Griffith? How come he too has been recycled many times??...and he has been playing as long as Tage has...

What about Vishaul Singh....is he improving???

Barnwell has come good this year after donkey years of substandard performances.....is he improving...should be sent packing too

What about Bramble...is he improving??? Inconsistent year after year....isn't there a better keeper

What happened to Motie????

Is this team a winning team?

openning 2018-12-08 19:40:43 

In reply to Narper

Narp my brother, there is time to defend a player, and a time to say, he has not shown improvement.
Scoring at close to a run a ball, or getting on top of the bowling, is not what my boy Kraigg or Tage is doing.
Tage could have shown his class in the 2nd inning, by rotation of the strike, which would had open the eyes of the fans.

Norm 2018-12-08 19:52:29 

In reply to Narper

Barnwell got his, and Tage's, jobs done today, and he has been doing so in recent months. When he wasn't, he lost his place to Keemo. Vishaul continues to serve Jaguars well and regularly in first class cricket, as his average indicates. Bramble has been an adequate keeper, but Kemol Savory and Tevin Imlach have been knocking the door hard for his spot. That keeps Bramble performing.

Motie has done nothing wrong and Jaguars will lose him if they don't smarten up and let go of Permaul.

Trevon Griffith has been an even bigger waste than Tage. So, he and Tage should make way for new players.

Narper 2018-12-08 19:57:25 

In reply to openning

You do know I have also defended Paint stoutly here...I have argued his RR is irrelevant in this current WI team

We have to look at the context of WI cricket today....run a ball batting is happening in other countries...we just don't have batsmen for this who will score big runs at run a ball...we have batsmen who will scored faster than run a ball but only make 20-30

I have called out Tage in the past for not scoring big runs....if you poke you have to make big runs or come out not out..last match last year Tage made a ton...this year first match he made 84*...runs count more in the FC class and test game...if he plays he has to continue to score big...scoring rate will improve with time...at this point in time I won't worry about scoring rate

If he pokes and make 20....I will have a big problem with that.

imusic 2018-12-08 20:12:04 

LOL.....men defending strokeless wonders like kraigg and rage.

No wonder West Indies cricket ok the dumps

Narper 2018-12-08 20:16:13 

In reply to imusic

No wonder West Indies cricket ok the dumps

Understand the real issue here

'Stokeless wonders' are not the reason WI cricket is in the dumps

It is the strokeful pretenders you obviously love

imusic 2018-12-08 21:01:36 

In reply to Narper

Yes. It’s their fault.

The term “Strokess wonders” hit your particular nerve because YOU KNOW it directly applies to your boy and given that his is the model of so called batsmanship that this current crop are being instructed to adopt, the results of this “model” are down to the example that he set.

Couldn’t happen to a more deserving bunch

Narper 2018-12-08 21:35:08 

In reply to imusic

My boy was a wonder indeed. Strokeless by choice. Team man to the core. Produced the runs and usually the LAST MAN standing. WI team team NEEDs batsmen like this.

and given that his is the model of so called batsmanship that this current crop are being instructed to adopt

Regardless if that is true.... dat is the crux of the matter for you...that hurts you tremendously....

In spite of Legaceeeee.... I wonder why Baby Lara has adopted this model?wink

openning 2018-12-08 22:30:15 

In reply to Narper

There are times when defensive batting is needed, but not every inning, like we see from Kraigg.
Shiv was able to defend when needed and attack at other times, Kraigg cannot, and is paying for it.

jcveletta 2018-12-09 00:44:02 

not sure bout hety, he is very good; but you are on to something here.

doosra 2018-12-09 06:07:49 

In reply to imusic

u and your whiny bullshit logic

use the same logic and see how many of them are good like lara wrt strokeplay, the example he set

stupid logic but what better from you

doosra 2018-12-09 06:09:27 

In reply to Norm

i find your argument strange ...

to say he is the worst batsman in the region is ridiculous

Maispwi 2018-12-09 06:22:12 

Does anybody consider scoring 84 from 63 scoring shots and 271 dot ball good batting on a decent batting surface?

Ridge 2018-12-09 08:05:17 

In reply to Norm
Please keep that language to your self and family.

Narper 2018-12-09 08:22:42 

In reply to imusic

In spite of Legaceeeee.... I wonder why Baby Lara has adopted this model?

Darren Bravo c Tamim b Mortaza 19 (51

shivnotout 2018-12-09 17:19:20 

In reply to Narper

Chanderpaul 84* (334

STOOPID move to declare now....plenty time left to bowl out WI

ah lil bhai coulda bat for two mo session lol lol

windwards get bowl out for 222 before dinner break lol

Narper 2018-12-09 17:42:04 

In reply to shivnotout

As I said it was a stoopid move....denied de lad a ton

All to show dem is boss....Opiss style.

openning 2018-12-09 18:05:05 

In reply to Narper

Narp, if you are a true fan of this youngster, open your eyes to the present day game.
Tage or Kraigg scoring a century after facing 300 balls, may be good in the region, but their game will be expose at the International level.
I watched Joe Soloman, Larry Gomes and Gus Logie, all three of these guys had solid batsman around them, test cricket has change since then, where rotation of the strike is now part of the game
No one is asking the youngster to bat like Hetty, all fans want is for our batsman to be able to bat.

Narper 2018-12-09 18:24:01 

In reply to openning

open your eyes to the present day game.

TEST cricket is still 5 days...3 session per day....30 overs per session....90 overs per day

This WI is regularly getting beaten in 3-4 days

Many current WI batsmen cannot bat for more than 2 sessions

Occupation of the crease requires concentration.

I am saying....the young man is showing what it takes to occupy the crease.

I am saying rotation of strike and increase in SR will come with more experience and confidence...and if it doesn't then cut him off....HE IS ONLY 22 YEARS OLD.

ARE YOU SAYING HE SHOULD BE DROPPED NOW???

openning 2018-12-09 18:35:40 

In reply to Narper

ARE YOU SAYING HE SHOULD BE DROPPED NOW

What I am saying, he and Kraigg has to be able to up their scoring rate, by rotating the strike.
Tage more than Kraigg is in a position, where he is going to be judge, base on his father performance, that's a given, they can only be one Shiv.
He has to be Tage Chanderpaul, with own strokes and performance.

Narper 2018-12-09 18:40:16 

In reply to openning

Good...we are on the same page.

Some here want him to dropped NOW

openning 2018-12-09 18:55:33 

In reply to Narper

Some here want him to dropped NOW

Thats the T20 fan.
I am a KB fan, but his performance of late and lack of improvement, is a disappointment.

Narper 2018-12-09 19:02:54 

In reply to openning

KB may have become complacent...his place in the side is secured...VC and now Cappo

He did make back to back tons in July...serious decline since...cause for concern....it should not be business as usual

Norm 2018-12-09 23:18:11 

In reply to doosra

OK, maybe Tage is not the worst batsman in the region, but his development strategy is seriously flawed, and will probably never get him past FC level. Tage reminds me of a cook who could only cook rice, which he cooked well.

Leon Johnson gave him plenty of time, before Tea and then after Tea, to get his century but Tage could do nothing but poke, poke, poke. Volcanoes brought on part-time left-arm spinner Kavem Hodge, but Tage could do no more than poke.

One has to conclude that Tage could do no more than poke. Hence, if you stat a match with no hope whatsoever of winning, then select the likes of Tage, Paint and Alleyne, and hope they will poke you to a draw.

A winning team could probably tolerate one poker at most.

openning 2018-12-09 23:41:57 

In reply to Norm

Volcanoes brought on part-time left-arm spinner Kavem Hodge, but Tage could do no more than poke.

Hodge is not a part timer, he is among the leading bowlers in Barbados Elite division.

Norm 2018-12-09 23:47:15 

In reply to openning

Hodge is a part-time spinner at the regional level.

Romario Shepherd opens the batting for his first division club in T&T, but he is not a recognized batsman at the regional level. Bishoo is also a recognized club batsman.

Narper 2018-12-10 09:29:43 

In reply to openning

What Pujara did in Adelaide, scoring 123 in the first innings and 71 in the second, was to remind us of the value of an old-fashioned approach to Test-match batting. The kind associated with the likes of Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Geoffrey Boycott. The kind which emphasizes the value of occupation of the crease.

Link

Norm 2018-12-10 10:33:59 

In reply to Narper

Shiv would have started beating ball and gotten his hundred as soon as the cappo talked about declaring. Not to mention, Shiv did not start his career as a one-gear poker.

Say what you want, Tage is a very limited batsman that needs to improve enormously. He would probably never have made the team without his dad's name - so lousy are his batting skills.

Pacy 2018-12-10 10:47:16 

In reply to Narper

Patient Innings are necessary in Tests and I agree Pujara's first innings century was important. But you break down the innings, you can see his first 50 had a SR of 33 but his second 50 just 80 deliveries with a SR of 63 and his last 23 coming at a SR of more than 100

1st Innings

CA Pujara: 50 off 153 balls (4 x 4)
CA Pujara: 100 off 231 balls (6 x 4, 1 x 6)
CA Pujara: 123 off 246 balls (7 x 4, 2 x 6)

This is a sign of defensive batsmen who has strong defense and can adapt/change gears at different levels as needed.

But what we see in the young WI batsmen is not the case. Like KB for instance has 1 gear with a weak defense and continuously be in Survival mode. The moment the gear has to be changed he gets rattled.

If you remember the tied ODI in India where Hope was 100+ but when he ran out of partners and had to score at 7-8 an over he could not. While I still appreciate his 100, that is a limitation that has to be addressed.

Tizzle_Dndee 2018-12-10 11:10:28 

In reply to Norm

I suggest you watch his 100 vs Bdos last year and stop chatting crap
rolleyes

bobby 2018-12-10 11:18:21 

In reply to Norm

Tage is 22 years old. End of discussion. We can have this discussion in 2 years time.

shivnotout 2018-12-10 11:25:55 

In reply to Norm

even Pujara started to hit the ball around after getting his hundred.

tage nah get ah hundred?
lol

Pacy 2018-12-10 11:44:44 

In reply to bobby

I agree he has time at his disposal... But people around him should guide him to be positive. This praising of this style might not be helpful for him

openning 2018-12-10 11:52:03 

The most important for the Amazon is winning the match, Tage batting in the 2nd inning, help in the victory.
End of story.
I am asking people to leave the young man alone, let him develop his own style, he must be under a lot of pressure, having a dad that was successful

Tizzle_Dndee 2018-12-10 12:01:05 

In reply to Pacy

Link Text some shots for you....

Seechy 2018-12-10 12:45:05 

Well Tage is averaging 30 now. If he can push that up to 35-36 by season end, he would've done well - better than Powell.