The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Time and Test Cricket

conman 2018-12-28 12:32:21 

Instead of derailing the other thread. Lets talk about time. Really and truly our most important and valued resource, when you run out of time thats it.
Time is so important that the modern world is filled with the idea of doing as much as possible in as little time as possible. Why listen to just music, you can play a game or read a book, no need to JUST listen to music. Why just go for a jog, turn on the headphones and listen to an audio book. Its almost a fear of wasting time.
But nothing is free, while you are maximizing what you do in your time as much as possible you inevitably devalue the things you do. When was the last time any of you truly listened to music, where you just listened to the music, put your time and attention into the album? It is as much rewarding an experience as it is reading a book or watching a really good movie, the fulfillment you get from that investment lives on in you.

Test cricket is the most beautiful competitive sport in the world. A sport where time isnt a factor (yes i undertaker there are day constraints but nobody is counting down the minutes on the first few days), its a break from the hustle of everyday life, the disregard of time brings something else out of the players. I once explained to an american friend that the most memorable parts of test cricket aren't results but moments. Lara scoring 400, ambrose 7 -1 spell, shai hopes 2 hundreds in 2 innings, etc. Moments make test cricket, and the game is designed in a way that allows multiple moments to happen throughout one match. The disregard for time during a test match allows these multitude of moments to happen. A battle between a batting master and a bowling master is ruined if the batsman gets out early, you want to see them go against each other over a course of time, both of them fighting for the balance until one looses the battle.

ODI and T20 are brilliant forms of the game. They too allow moments but not nearly on the same level. Because time is such a factor in those forms the results become more important, moments are nice but in the end the result is what we're really there for. But nothing can beat test crickets ability at appreciating the time spent, losses hurt more and wins feel more rewarding.

Don't give up on the most beautiful competitive sport.

Just my 2 cents

Khaga 2018-12-28 14:39:20 

In reply to conman

Cricket is one of those rare games which is inventive enough to have 3 formats which showcase skills at the highest level. While we tend to argue and pick between formats,true fans do appreciate each format for the value it brings.

I have been following cricket for close to 40 years and have memories of several memorable performances across different formats.

The commercial evolution of the game is fascinating too.

Test cricket for me, gives the opportunity to study the evolution of tactics,setups, contests within a contest etc..The shorter formats don't allow the luxury of time..some of my most involved moments of following the game were watching test matches.

goofballs 2018-12-28 15:44:18 

In reply to conman

I didn't have time to read it.

razz razz lol lol

Well spoken!
I like the intensity, the struggle, games within the game, field setting with a plan in mind, etc. in tests.
Problem is, I am getting fed up with fast food and instant gratification. Everywhere you tune in there is sheer lashing sometimes. All spiced up to make it taste good like KFC and McD.
You could taste/smell the artificial nature of things sometimes.
Narine and his swinging comes to mind.
It is like getting something for free. You get what you pay for.
This is a healthy family site, but the analogy of a cheap prostitute comes to mind giving a fast fix (I never had) but with no substance or feelings/love/passion attached to it.
Shallow! razz