The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Ex-West Indies player honoured by the Queen

CaribbeanCricket.com 2018-12-30 06:27:15 

EX-West Indies batsman Alvin Isaac Kallicharran was among several sports personalities, who were awarded the British Empire Medal (BEM) in the Queen’s New Year Honours list for his contribution to the sport.

The Guyanese-born batsman would now be entitled to attach the letters “BEM” to his title, signifying that he has been honoured by the queen.

He joins a list of sports personalities Peter Wynne-Thomas Nottingham Club historian, Anthony Clark, for his services to badminton, New Zealand coach Mary Wright for contributions to gymnastics, Sophia Warner for services to disability sports, race walker Chris Maddocks, for his services to athletics, Paralympic athlete Dr Anthony Griffin for services to sport and Stephen Baxter and Northern Ireland’s Crusaders FC manager, Stephen Baxter, for his contribution to football.

Born on March 21, 1949 in Georgetown, Guyana, Kallicharan played cricket from 1972 to 1981 as a left-handed batsman and a right-arm off spinner. Not only did he play for the West Indies team but he also used his elegant watchful batting style in teams including Guyana, Orange Free State, Queensland, Transvaal and Warwickshire.

read more at Trinidad newsday

a more complete cricket biograhpy of Kallichran

Full Story

goofballs 2018-12-30 07:43:44 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

I guess his name is worthy of an MBE but not worthy of a mention in your High Standards headlines in your great publication!

Emir 2018-12-30 09:00:54 

WOW, and I had tort we were all independent people now with no more ties to England and her "royalty" titles and other colonial and nonsensical mores.

mitch44 2018-12-30 09:43:16 

In reply to Emir
MBE = Member of the British Empire. As far as I know no West Indian cricketing Nation is a member of the British Empire any more.
Most are members of the British Commonwealth.
As for "royalty" titles..Sir Frank Worrell, Sir Garfield Sobers......and so on until Sir Curtly Ambrose.

Emir 2018-12-30 12:38:30 

In reply to mitch44

Its also my understanding

Ambi's "Sir" title as I understand it though was "conferred" by the Antiguan government.

I am assuming Antigua took this practice from their former colonial master.

If I am wrong, I stand to be corrected.

sgtdjones 2018-12-30 12:47:26 

In reply to mitch44

EX-West Indies batsman Alvin Isaac Kallicharran was among several sports personalities, who were awarded the British Empire Medal (BEM) in the Queen’s New Year Honours list for his contribution to the sport.

The Guyanese-born batsman would now be entitled to attach the letters “BEM” to his title, signifying that he has been honoured by the queen

If you are awarded an MBE, OBE or CBE you may use these letters after your name.

The British Empire Medal is granted in recognition of meritorious civil or military service. Recipients are entitled to use the post-nominal letters "BEM".

Hmmm so what did he get ?

mitch44 2018-12-30 12:53:41 

In reply to sgtdjones

Sorry, You are right....
BEM

goofballs 2018-12-30 17:56:53 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Just read the full article.
Questions in bold.

Born on March 21, 1949 in Georgetown, Guyana, Kallicharan played cricket from 1972 to 1981 as a left-handed batsman and a right-arm off spinner.

Not all Guyanese are from GT. In fact, very few famous; maybe known for infamy like an Imam or two! wink
Try Berbice for greatness. Chrissy! smile

I saw the man bowling leg breaks in school, under 19, trial matches, Shell Shield.
Dat's all.

mikesiva 2018-12-31 04:48:04 

In reply to Emir

My sentiments exactly....
cool