The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Obama loves Naipaul books...

DAVE400 2018-12-30 08:23:22 

But Trinis loved to call him a traitor...

goofballs 2018-12-30 08:31:40 

In reply to DAVE400

I noticed his list.
Man gat taste!
I say evaluate the product, not the man.
Also, people don't like the clarity or pellucidity of his observations.

Sensitive.

goofballs 2018-12-30 08:45:17 

When people hear ki Obama read/like, many more will suddenly like.

Emir 2018-12-30 09:06:35 

And tens of millions of people the world over also "love" his books and writing. Just like millions people may like a movie but that does not mean they love the actor. As a writer, Naipaul was almost peerless

But I am shocked that anyone cannot distinguish between Naipual's writings vs Naipual as a flawed, heartless and cold individual.

The Guardian headline on this story is plainly stupid.

DAVE400 2018-12-30 11:26:35 

In reply to goofballs

See how the hate coming out already...

sgtdjones 2018-12-30 11:52:19 

In reply to goofballs

People who hate VS Naipaul because of a fit of mere jealousy over his success hurt themselves in disguise. This is because they're carrying an image of who they wish they had become. Don’t hate them back because they may also become like you one day and it will mean hurting that image you carry!

Insecure people put others down to raise themselves up.
VS Naipaul noted “Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots"

cool

bravos 2018-12-30 12:00:34 

In reply to DAVE400

He loves his books..

Only a fool could condemn his work,having been a well known public figure,his personality and ideals on the other hand is a free for all.

Just some simple perspective Ends..

DAVE400 2018-12-30 12:40:06 

In reply to bravos

dude...who is anyone to judge someone's "personality?

Emir 2018-12-30 12:40:43 

In reply to bravos

Thank you

bravos 2018-12-30 13:02:50 

In reply to DAVE400

Dude it's the tangible world not some improbable Valhalla.

Just as you have the right to condemn people for condemning him,people have the right to condemn him for condemning his beginnings..

Do you need an appointed court of your peers to help you form your opinion? No one's looking for a guilty verdict here,just like you other intelligent people have the ability to and have been making observations,who are you now to judge them for being observant,because that's all it is.

Had a critic criticized this development and deny the quality of his work by all means that would be disingenuous,as you and others are being by choosing to deny his real life ideals in favor of his fictitious offerings.

Stop for a minute and touch the ground Ends,I'm sure you will find that's it's there..

bravos 2018-12-30 13:06:33 

In reply to Emir

Simple stuff..

This thread is like a delivery going smoothly then they realize the umbilical cord is wrapped around the baby's neck,it could've been a much better delivery and without relatives shouting into the delivery room..

Khaga 2018-12-30 13:07:27 

In reply to Emir

Honestly, why would anyone care about Naipaul the person? Or for that matter any sportsman or artist? Such peerless performers want to be known for their performances and works..I don't care if Brian Lara beat up Lynnesy Ward or not..that's his private matter and for law enforcement to investigate and adjudicate. I care about Brian Lara, the genius on the field.

I have taken the time to read "India - a wounded Civilization" this year..a great work

sgtdjones 2018-12-30 13:08:54 

In reply to Khaga

Fools here are judging this man by other individuals opinion. They don't know Naipaul, never met him, spent time with him. How can one come to an opinion, so hearsay and rumor rules?

Fits perfectly with what Naipaul noted “Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots"

Khaga 2018-12-30 13:13:27 

In reply to sgtdjones

The same animal spirit and savagery have made intolerable people and groups protest the Danish cartoons and murder people at Charlie Hebdo..

bravos 2018-12-30 13:22:39 

No critic of his personality brought it up, but many seem to thrive in it in kinship to their own agenda and conflicts,the critic's view is less complicated and obvious for all to see,it's basic and expected critique of a human by other humans..no critic of his behavior would've come here and mention it because like some of you slow heads now realizing,it's irrelevant..you guys bringing it up and now talking about it's irrelevant,duh everyone else knew that..

Like I said this thread could've been delivered better without the bitterness that seems to be so easily and eagerly delivered on one side of the Naipaul sphere..

Naipaul work legacy and this new refreshing endorsement deserves better,though irrelevant his bitter personality has pervaded his most ardent supporters so much so that they themselves would bring a thread supporting his work and work only, into disrepute..

Just look at some of the species of flies being attracted to this mess now..Any sensible subscriber of the arts would stay far away from this dump..

The man is a great son of the soil,no matter what he thought about the soil it will always and forever be at the forefront of his name.

His work speaks for him,he no longer has to,problem solved..

Khaga 2018-12-30 13:56:25 

Facts fact you up..dat simple!!

sgtdjones 2018-12-30 15:00:12 

In reply to Khaga

He does not rely on facts, notice diatribes that make no sense the postings on this thread.

One just reads a couple of postings and see how confused, illiterate this individual is but tries to impress the site.

razz razz razz

Khaga 2018-12-30 15:04:38 

In reply to sgtdjones

His shallow panacea,Douglarization..while the extremist Imam wants to hold onto Burkha..only one set of people need to give up their identiy while the other continue their medieval ,extremist ways ..hypocrites

DAVE400 2018-12-30 15:19:33 

In reply to bravos

What are these infamous real life ideals?

Jumpstart 2018-12-30 16:06:45 

In reply to Khaga

That’s a good point Khama, actually it’s a great point. Nobody should let any celebrity be the measuring stick by which they pattern or judge their lives,. Charles Barkley once said something similar. The problem is is that Naipaul presents himself as a political, social and cultural sage who comes to some conclusions that are clearly incorrect. For example, his descriptions of the West Indian immigrants going to England in The Middle Passage borders on racist as do some of his descriptions of persons in The Suffrage of Elvira. Secondly, he went to three Islamic countries in Among the Believers and Beyond Belief with reasonable development (I think the only truly poor country was Pakistan) and found absolutely nothing positive about those places. He went to Makerere University in Uganda , then one of the top universities in Africa, to teach a writers course and did not even attend a class. I will not bag on Naipaul because he was a grossly immoral human being but I will openly disagree with a few of his opinions.
The genesis of Trinidadians dislike of Naipaul happened about ten years ago. Even Dr Williams was a fan of Naipaul and commissioned him to do the research from which came the middle passage and this included passage and hotel fees. Anyways, ten years ago UWI brought down Naipaul for a Indian Arrival Day celebration I think. They invited a few schools to a confrerence. QRC, Naps, Convent etc. one girl from Lakshmi Girls Hindu College asked Naipaul a question about the Mystic Masseur and Naipaul responded in front of over 200 students’ My books are not for children”(his books are taught on our curriculum ) and thoroughly pissed off everyone in the room and embarrassed Bhoe Tewarie who was the UWI vice chancellor who brought him down. Great writer, probably the greatest to come out of the post colonial world but an absolutely terrible human being with some absurd conclusions

Khaga 2018-12-30 16:34:40 

In reply to Jumpstart

Good post. I will respond soon. You seen like a reasonable poster unlike a couple of those insecure,fake nationalists..

goofballs 2018-12-30 18:36:18 

When people hear ki Obama read/like, many more will suddenly like.
smile smile

Emir 2018-12-30 19:15:16 

In reply to Jumpstart

Well stated. cool

sgtdjones 2018-12-30 19:20:23 

In reply to Jumpstart

I have no idea where you got your facts from but I beg to disagree as I shall now write ...

He went to Makerere University in Uganda, then one of the top universities in Africa, to teach a writers course and did not even attend a class

Naipaul was in residence in 1966, he stayed for 6 months, then the noise got to him. Civil disobedience and a new dictator took over from the Government. A war was on. He rented a hotel room on the outskirts of town and stayed so he could write.
Naipaul couldn't venture back into town based on snipers.

Okot p’Bitek, whose "Song of Lawino" appeared in 1966, the year of Naipaul’s residence; in those days being apprenticed to such scholarly gurus was the main route to success.
Many other writers were students at Makerere during Naipaul’s residence and they tell stories of his mentorship of their early efforts, or of the influence of his presence among them. He even wrote 'The Mimic Men'in Uganda.

I attended a lecture in England at a University where such stories were told. I don't expect glowing tales of Sir V.S. Naipaul’s contribution to the growth of Ugandan writing. Suffice, he lived among them and he wrote and wrote well. He even piqued interest in Africa, India and his own Caribbean.

He can be described as a modern philosopher. In a vigilant style, which has been deservedly admired, he transforms rage into precision and allows events to speak with their own inherent irony."

Anyways, ten years ago UWI brought down Naipaul for an Indian Arrival Day celebration I think. They invited a few schools to a conference. QRC, Naps, Convent etc. one girl from Lakshmi Girls Hindu College asked Naipaul a question about the Mystic Masseur and Naipaul responded in front of over 200 students’ My books are not for children”

His sister denied such happened as she was present at that
school.

For example, his descriptions of the West Indian immigrants going to England in The Middle Passage borders on racist as do some of his descriptions of persons in The Suffrage of Elvira. Secondly, he went to three Islamic countries in Among the Believers and Beyond Belief with reasonable development (I think the only truly poor country was Pakistan) and found absolutely nothing positive about those places

It's difficult to judge someone if one didn't live in that era.T&T is a racist society and failure today. Few would admit to such looking thru rose colored glasses. While anathematizing all of these mechanisms, Naipaul deals with ‘Race’ in most detail. He finds ‘the race issue is too complicated to be dealt with at best-seller, black-and-white level’, especially after his time in England.

His own point of identification is problematic, he states, because of his Indian heritage, his origins in ‘an easy-going multi-racial society’, and his awareness that racialized conflict can also take the form of black-on-black violence as in the persecution in various Countries.

Naipaul ‘grew up with this idea that it was important to look inwards and not always define an external enemy… We must examine ourselves, examine our own weaknesses’.‘I do not write for Indians… who in any case do not read. His famous dismissal of the West Indies in The Middle Passage – ‘History is built around achievement and creation; and nothing was created in the West Indies’

He is correct today with such writings.

Naipaul states in 1960 I was still a colonial, traveling to far-off places that were still colonies, in a world still more or less ruled by colonial ideas … To travel was glamorous. It broadened his worldview; it showed him a changing world and took me out of my own colonial shell.

Despite his intense anxiety, the very fact that he had left the island successfully and spent many years abroad implies the possibility that he can observe his home country from the somewhat detached perspective of an outsider. At the same time, his tie with Trinidad is still strong.

V.S. Naipaul decided to turn to non-fiction. His position was unique but also odd- an expatriate West Indian traveling to his home country after a gap of six years. The situation of Trinidad and Tobago had altered.
Naipaul ties with Trinidad is still strong, even if it takes the form of the fear that he might never be able to leave the island again. His quandary toward his home partly derives from the fact that he knows its darker sides too well; he had forgotten nothing.

Naipaul claims: "Trinidad was and remains a materialist immigrant society, continually growing and changing, never settling into any pattern".Denying any potential for cultural creolization, he concludes as follows: "All this has combined to give it [Trinidad] its special character, its ebullience and irresponsibility.
And more: a tolerance which is more than tolerance: an indifference to virtue as well as to vice. The Land of the Calypso is not a copywriter's phrase.
It is one side of the truth, and it was this gaiety, so inexplicable to the tourist who sees the shacks of Shanty town and the corbeaux patrolling the modern highway, and inexplicable to me who had remembered it as the land of failures, which now, on my return, assaulted me”

At the same time, he clearly distances himself from other Caribbean writers who have been allegedly too much preoccupied with the prejudices of their race or color groups.

Naipaul's controversial conclusion that
"if the West Indian writer is to be blamed, it is because, by accepting and promoting the unimpressive race-and-colour values of his group, he has not only failed to diagnose the sickness of his society but has aggravated it"

If to tell the truth is racist, then Naipaul becomes one.

Excerps from The Middle Passage

Jumpstart 2018-12-30 19:57:22 

In reply to sgtdjones

Champ I don’t know where you got you’re info from. Naipaul’s words from his own autobiography are

I never went to my office. I couldn't be disturbed too much. I was writing in my bungalow, and if they asked me to teach and talk, I paid no attention.' "

Secondly West Indian writers, and we are being politically correct Black West Indian writers speak of anti colonialism or as you would like to say “their own prejudices “ because for writers such as George Lamming, CLR James and V,S Bird, it was an intricate and inseparable part of their lives and identity. If VS Bird could be faulted for writing about the fact that Paul Bogle and George William Gordon’s followers we’re living under terrible stress including six years of drought and the fact that due to the American Civil War, food imports to Jamaica had ceased, then Naipaul really reveals a lot more of himself that he reveals of other writers.
I never denied that Naipaul’s links with TT weren’t strong, I am simply stating that their also exists great animosity towards him even from those who have read and enjoy his books. I won’t even bother to respond to the nothing was created in the West Indies which also reveals a lot more about Naipaul than his books.
And as I said, I read Among the Believers and Beyond Belief cover to cover and I’m absolutely sure my conclusions are correct. The only thing that came out of Among the Believers was his opinion that Islamic societies were so evil and the conquest of Sindh province in modern day Pakistan being compared to Bernal Cortez’s account of the conquest of Mexico.
You could shout your drivel to the highest heavens, TT has a great standing in the international community......quite possibly the most educated workforce in the entire region and most of Latin America, free education, free healthcare. Ask a Jamaican what is old age pension.........Trinidad is a racist society.........utter unadulterated rubbish from someone who I have noticed posts a lot of that rubbish on this website

N.B Naipaul’s last book the Masque of Africa(which I quite enjoyed) was compared to Oswald Mosley, infamous British Fascist’s writings of the early 1940s

sgtdjones 2018-12-30 20:07:04 

In reply to Jumpstart

You could shout your drivel to the highest heavens

I live in T&T Moruga for about 4 months of the year.

T&T is a failed society. To individuals who have not left the country its paradise.

See the poor daily living in shanty houses without electricity and water.

Approx 520 murders per year.

Employment rate going up

I will never vote in any elections with the Clowns of both parties.

When a government fails to protect its citizens its a failed state

utter unadulterated rubbish from someone who I have noticed posts a lot of that rubbish on this website

Bring facts the next time I post, to refute me ok

About Naipaul, I got such info from someone who knows him very closely. Whatever I posted on this thread is factual about Naipaul. I will not give the name of the individual without his permission.

Jumpstart 2018-12-30 20:12:07 

In reply to sgtdjones

Moruga........lovely place but no wonder you come to that opinion. Dude everywhere have murders. Morocco have terrorists the desert that killing tourists, are they a failed society? Argentina doing an IMF dance for the second time in 20 years. Are they a failed society? India have cow gangs killing people in the countryside. Are they a failed society? Away with that drivel

sgtdjones 2018-12-30 20:15:06 

In reply to Jumpstart

Moruga........lovely place but no wonder you come to that opinion.

That says all I need to know about thee...

Please not interested in other countries ..

My family employ over 2000 Trinis in T&T,
don't judge me where I live.

When a government cannot protect its citizens and
they live in houses with steel bars on windows.

Its a failed state.

I live abroad for 8 months business

Why not bring up how many are killed on a bridge in Mexico?

lol lol

Jumpstart 2018-12-30 20:19:15 

In reply to sgtdjones

Well that even worse Patna. If your people employ over 2000 Trinidad citizens, then it hadda be a security company they own because if you are coming to the conclusion that TT is a failure with so many lettered people walking around, then it has to be those who are not as educated that you are drawing your conclusions from. But congratulations, we need more local investment in this place. But crime is a major issue on a reals which I think is hampering investment to an extent as Dr Roger Hosein says

sgtdjones 2018-12-30 20:20:32 

In reply to Jumpstart

My family has business in T&T since 1850

No we are not in the security business.

lol

You are speaking about T&T and know little about it.

sgtdjones 2018-12-30 20:22:45 

In reply to Jumpstart

But crime is a major issue on a reals which I think is hampering investment to an extent as Dr Roger Hosein says

Why is this happening? Look at the government I will not vote
for either of those two clowns that lead such entities.

This is what happens in race-based parties,

Eric Williams said he can put a frog in Laventille and they would vote for it.

Tells a lot about the mentality of Trini's.

lol

utter unadulterated rubbish from someone who I have noticed posts a lot of that rubbish on this website

The next time you think I post such, debate me

Hv a good evening.

Jumpstart 2018-12-30 20:31:33 

In reply to sgtdjones

You do know Williams and Ken Julien devised the industrial estate......guess that was a failure too

Jumpstart 2018-12-30 20:32:48 

In reply to sgtdjones

I did debate you and it descended from a relatively intellectual argument to bitter drivel with no direction. It wasn’t a political discussion and nobody advocated voting for anybody. You seem like a really bitter dude bro......can’t be healthy

sgtdjones 2018-12-30 20:43:00 

In reply to Jumpstart

You do know Williams and Ken Julien devised the industrial estate..

By posting such it tells me you know little about what these two did.

You must be one of those PNM for life ..

lol

The Industrial Estate and Atlantic LNG are owned by foreign entities, T&T paid for all the construction and Equipment. Foreign entities can move it anytime they want. Their shareholders own such.

think....the taxpayers paid for such.

The Government allowed such entities to remove all cost over 7 years, billions deprived from the Taxpayers of T&T.

Urea is sold to Saskatchewan, shipped to Hamilton, Ontario then by rail to Regina. Sold cheaper that Urea from Alberta 400 km away.

T&T gas is being sold at less than world prices to such entities and Atlantic LNG.

Get the picture, just buy 5 shares of any of these companies, write the NYSE and you will get every secret
document signed by the T&T Government.

If these two individuals were energy czars T&T would be owning 51 % of all such entities.

If Malcolm Jones were alive, he would tell you who I am.
When I spoke to him at his office in Port Of Spain, he
was left dumbfounded.

sgtdjones 2018-12-30 20:44:56 

In reply to Jumpstart

You seem like a really bitter dude bro......can’t be healthy
Have an agenda etc

I laugh out loud when I hear such comments. You see I avoid debates without facts.

Posters can make such comments without, knowing the individual.

lol lol lol

Jumpstart 2018-12-30 20:50:24 

rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes
I’m getting tired Patna
Educate yuhself.....I gone
Link Text
I wonder why you’re the only one who thinks so
The IEEE which recently hosted a function in Julien’s honor being controlled by Williams from the land of the dead?

sgtdjones 2018-12-30 20:54:47 

In reply to Jumpstart

Check and see who posted and printed such BS about Point Lisas
then check out all the foreign entities that own the plants....

lol lol lol lol

I wonder why you’re the only one who thinks so

Could it be I know a little more than you do?

You can check out all the facts I have posted very easily.

Hv a good evening

Jumpstart 2018-12-30 20:58:16 

In reply to sgtdjones

It can’t be that. I already reproved the rubbish about Naipaul. And the purpose of the Industrial estate was um.................to attract foreign investment. It wasn’t to stand up and look pretty

sgtdjones 2018-12-30 21:00:37 

function in Julien’s honor being

Is UTT still paying for that cottage for Mannings prophet?

Its alleged Julien was renting it.

The IEEE which recently hosted a function in Julien’s honor being controlled by Williams from the land of the dead?

Conference in the honor of the 86th Birthday Professor Kenneth S. Julien (T&T IEEE)

Check and see which section honored him?
An electrical Engineer in Chemical Engineering of plants..

Laughable ...
lol lol lol

sgtdjones 2018-12-30 21:01:50 

In reply to Jumpstart

to attract foreign investment. It wasn’t to stand up and look pretty

That stole money from the citizens of T&T that these czars gave away.

razz razz razz

I already reproved the rubbish about Naipaul.

You proved nutting Trini...it says you believe in gossip not facts as I posted.

Jumpstart 2018-12-30 21:03:07 

In reply to sgtdjones

That’s what all foreign companies do to small island developing states.....just the way of the world. Look at what Shell did to the niger delta

sgtdjones 2018-12-30 21:05:48 

In reply to Jumpstart

Please live in your lil world Paradise

In two years T&T will be in serious trouble with the clowns that mismanaged the two oil booms.

I wish you the best bro..

Soon you will be importing bitumen since Petro Trin close dong to fix ya roads ..

Bitumen comes from an oil refinery. Barbados Has one?

lol lol lol

gnite

Jumpstart 2018-12-30 21:08:06 

In reply to sgtdjones

There are already arrangements to buy Barbados bitumen which is more suitable in terms of temperature resistance than the Petrotrin variety. And I’ve been seeing you saying the same thing for the last 3 or 4 years every single year and it hasn’t materialized as yet

Jumpstart 2018-12-30 21:11:57 

In reply to sgtdjones

I posted naipaul’s exact words verbatim.

Jumpstart 2018-12-30 21:18:22 

In reply to sgtdjones

Check and see which section honored him?

I guess they have varying standards all over the world right?

Dan_De_Lyan 2018-12-30 21:49:35 

VS is awesome and made his mark......but this trini jerk-a-ton festival.

Even the old uncle getting a friendly tug by adversaries.\

big grin

Kay 2018-12-30 22:20:47 

In reply to Jumpstart

And I’ve been seeing you saying the same thing for the last 3 or 4 years every single year and it hasn’t materialized as yet

Really? So what were the previous handles prior to 2017?

Khaga 2018-12-30 22:24:07 

Trinis are bipolar when it comes to VS. They want to claim him,his awards etc..but can't stomach his exposure of their hypocrticial society.. lol

Jumpstart 2018-12-30 23:03:56 

In reply to Khaga
Well if we are bipolar then that means the whole world is bipolar man. While acknowledging his literary genius, I have yet to see any reputable international newspaper or literary critic that agree with Naipaul’s views. If you do some research, the two most common adjectives that are mentioned with his writings are racist and mysogynistic. Naipaul’s own biographer says he gives the country a raw deal

Maispwi 2018-12-31 05:29:24 

In reply to sgtdjones

Employment rate going up

Isn't dat a good ting?

DAVE400 2018-12-31 06:43:47 

Should we enlighten Obama about naipaul's racism??

goofballs 2018-12-31 10:38:23 

In reply to DAVE400

lol lol lol lol

Yeah, lewwe see who starting the petition for Obama to denounce him.

sgtdjones 2018-12-31 10:50:37 

In reply to DAVE400

Naipaul writing non-fiction (truth) as he saw it,
is such regarded as racism? Racial distinctions continue to shape our politics, our neighborhoods, and our sense of self.

Americans got ideas about the world from Tarzan movies and crude racist caricatures, segregation was the way it was. There were no voices of black South Africans in such era. That absence is as important as what is in there. The only black people were doing exotic dances … servants or workers. It’s bizarre, actually, to consider what the editors and photographers had to consciously not see
during this period in history.

If we were to ask young Haitians to document the reality of their world, to them during this period, most likely they would paint a somber picture. Would this be racism? It really creates this us-and-them dichotomy between the civilized and the uncivilized.

Naipaul wasn’t teaching as much as reinforcing messages already received and doing so it comes into existence at the height of colonialism. The world was divided into the colonizers and the colonized. That was a color line, reflecting that view of the world.

If Naipaul were talking to students about the period until after the 1960s, he would say, Be cautious about what you think you are learning here. You will take people out into the world to see things we’ve never seen before in your writings. It’s possible to say that we can open people’s eyes at the same time close them.

Naipaul hinted about what’s working when it comes to race, and what wasn’t. Asking why we continue to segregate along racial lines and how we can build inclusive communities. He grew up along such in Trinidad. Let’s confront today’s shameful use of racism as a political strategy and prove we are better than this. Look at Political parties in Trinidad.

Naipaul provided an important opportunity to look at our own efforts to illuminate the human journey.
Sometimes these stories, like parts of our own history, are not easy to read. It’s hard for an individual or a country to evolve past discomfort if the source of the anxiety is only discussed in hushed tones.

Naipaul didn't agree to hush tones, he spoke the truth.

Is he a racist? It is unfortunate that critics will never understand his metaphors or delve into what he really meant before casting such aspirations that this man was racist.

Jumpstart 2018-12-31 11:06:11 

In reply to sgtdjones

So truth is relative now? If i don;'t believe in gravity, then i should be floating towards the atmosphere?

Naipaul wasn’t teaching as much as reinforcing messages already received and doing so it comes into existence at the height of colonialism.

As far as I'm concerned, the messages up until that point post civil rights would be considered quite offensive today so if Naipaul was reinforcing those points, which i slightly disagree on, then he was reinforcing racism

N.B I have most of Naipaul's books in my personal library as he's my favorite author but I'm not going to cover over his faults

tc1 2018-12-31 11:08:11 

In reply to sgtdjones

My family has business in T&T since 1850

Is this fact or fictional

goofballs 2018-12-31 11:17:10 

In reply to sgtdjones

I had a good laugh reading some of his novels describing various societies, and I am not talking about Miguel St or Biswas alone.. The satire, the penchant for illustrating sensitive issues almost as in passing but if you get the sharp points, it is hilarious.
He made short pokes!

Holier than Thou attitudes at the author's perception is perplexing but can explain.
It might take up about the same time as to write a couple of Naipual's novels (to explain Naipaul).
You are not doing too badly.

Cheeks 2018-12-31 11:18:56 

In reply to Jumpstart

I was a student of Prof Julien years ago. smile

Nuff respect for that guy in the Energy Industry. Not just in Trinidad either.

sgtdjones 2018-12-31 11:20:49 

In reply to tc1

Limestone tc1

Did I note Fiction?

An ancestor that came from India was wooed by a Spanish/French Gentleman. See I am a simple descendant.

lol lol

birdseye 2018-12-31 11:27:44 

In reply to sgtdjones

If we were to ask young Haitians to document the reality of their world, to them during this period, most likely they would paint a somber picture. Would this be racism? It really creates this us-and-them dichotomy between the civilized and the uncivilized.

dichotomy between the civilized and the uncivilized.
As I read this I had this instantaneous bewilderment - who were/are the civilized, the racists or the victims of racism? We have all defaulted to the assumption that the racists are the civilized. Really?

Civilized – refined, enlightened, educated, cultured
Racist – bigoted, xenophobic, homophobic --- really, people who possesses these qualities are the more civilized?

HAPPY NEW YEAR YALL!
big grin

goofballs 2018-12-31 11:28:09 

I plan on reading more as I retire from the hustle bustle of making a living, if I don't go to Guyana for Finance Minister job with Dukes as President!

I encourage all to re read Naipaul now that they have hopefully had some maturity to understand and have a less limited perspective and hopefully some ability to introspect yet not taking everything (anything to some) to heart.

birdseye 2018-12-31 11:37:40 

In reply to goofballs
I embarrassed that I am just learning of this esteemed author – I already ordered the book in question –sure him being the O’man reading list will increase sale dramatically – looking forward to the read

HAPPY NEW YEAR - ALL THE BEST FOR 2019

sgtdjones 2018-12-31 11:41:30 

In reply to goofballs

It is difficult to explain Naipaul, his writing skills were unique. As I read and traveled with him thru his books, am amazed at his skill of the English Language. I had a long look at the desk where he sat at Oxford University, wondering what it would be like to sit next to him in that classroom.

I try to envision what he saw in his era, then to stop writing prose, then to Nonfiction based on what he saw.
There is no one way to interpret his satire. It is a creative endeavor but as you noted if you get the sharp points, it is hilarious.

He wrote what he witnessed if such is defined as racism,
it doesn't say much about our society.

sad

goofballs 2018-12-31 11:44:32 

In reply to birdseye

Happy New Year Bhai.

sgtdjones 2018-12-31 11:47:35 

In reply to goofballs

if I don't go to Guyana for Finance Minister job with Dukes as President!

hahahahaha

Thanks for the laugh

Dukes as President and you finance minister

razz razz razz razz

goofballs 2018-12-31 11:48:13 

In reply to sgtdjones

He wrote what he witnessed if such is defined as racism,
it doesn't say much about our society.

can't buy introspection at the cake shop!

He described the darkness and weakness of my peeps (in the Caribbean) as well as my ancestry, and my family of priests, yet it made me smile.

Truth is way better than fiction.

goofballs 2018-12-31 11:49:01 

In reply to sgtdjones

Dukes get the popularity whilst I tek de money

Khaga 2018-12-31 11:56:06 

In reply to goofballs

Naipaul is a must read for all who suffer from victim mentality either as individuals or groups..

sgtdjones 2018-12-31 11:57:21 

In reply to birdseye

It really creates this us-and-them dichotomy between the civilized and the uncivilized

birdy

Civilized – refined, enlightened, educated, cultured
Racist – bigoted, xenophobic, homophobic --- really, people who possesses these qualities are the more civilized?

I see you didn't live under Colonial Brits rule for a long period.

The Brits always referred to themselves as Civilized, the
rest of the world as uncivilized.

I destroyed them in a debate at an English University.lol

The Brits are the creators of Racism ....noticed how
they are proud of their status. They look down on their own.ie Lords, Sir, etc etc

They then spread such in any country they conquered.

Have a prosperous, Healthy and happy new year 2019.

lol lol

sgtdjones 2018-12-31 11:59:28 

In reply to goofballs

He described the darkness and weakness of my peeps (in the Caribbean) as well as my ancestry, and my family of priests, yet it made me smile.

Yes he did, I saw what he wrote in Trinidad and its still
prevalent today.

sgtdjones 2018-12-31 12:02:41 

In reply to Khaga

khaga

I have just had a few picongs with you in jest.

Behind that facade lies an intelligent person.

Somehow you just wanna be a pain in the butt.

Contribute to the Board, help us see the other side.
I think you have much to offer.

sgtdjones 2018-12-31 12:03:48 

In reply to goofballs

Dukes get the popularity whilst I tek de money

So Dukes don't need oil money huh?

okkkkk

razz razz razz razz

Jumpstart 2018-12-31 12:06:37 

In reply to Cheeks
Indeed, Julien is also known as an energy guru in Ghana, Tanzania and Mozambique
Well according to STD Jones, he’s an idiot who only could be appreciated in TT because we’re all idiots with no standards

sgtdjones 2018-12-31 12:12:44 

In reply to Jumpstart

Ask Julien how Repsol ripped off the Taxpayers of T&T?

It had a contract to sell T&T gas to Spain at an
agreed price, it sent those ships to the Far East earning 4 times the profit.

All under these czars noses.

cool cool

birdseye 2018-12-31 12:16:09 

In reply to sgtdjones

I see you didn't live under Colonial Brits rule for a long period.
24 YEARS

The Brits are the creators of Racism ....noticed how
they are proud of their status. They look down on their own.ie Lords, Sir

Yeah – but haven’t we bought into it hook, line and sinker --- haven’t they stripped us of our innate cultural identity? Just reflect on Marcus Garvey and what he was trying to tell us --- but didn’t the racist stripped us down and tell us that the only good image was theirs? Kind a took Bob Marley and Rasta to tell many of us African hair was ok --- a little hyperbolic liberty to make a point -----don’t know if you happen to see the Kennedy awards on TV this past week --- there was a female Nigerian celebrity guest there --- her attire was spectacular in every sense

PS - Folks left for England this morning to start that sojourn

sgtdjones 2018-12-31 12:26:14 

In reply to birdseye

PS - Folks left for England this morning to start that sojourn

So you now have smiles from ear to ear.

lol lol

Birdy

Will send you a note in the new year, will need your input.

Yeah – but haven’t we bought into it hook, line and sinker --- haven’t they stripped us of our innate cultural identity?

Not all of the islands have adhered to what you noted, the
Brits are still revered even though they raped all the islands in the Caribbean. They tried to get the African slaves to follow their customs, the Indian indentured workers didn't. Names as Penal ( a town in T&T) still rings an angry response from me...

Penal punishment was carried out here.

evil

Emir 2018-12-31 14:14:57 

In reply to tc1

Is this fact or fictional

big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin
With him/her it is all a fiction. Each week it is a different story with different facts. I believe he is as patient in St Anns with a computer wink

DAVE400 2018-12-31 18:06:06 

In reply to Emir

Why all this hate in your heart?

Emir 2018-12-31 20:56:24 

In reply to DAVE400

If calling out caste apartheid, religious extremism/ Whabbisam/radical evangelical fundamentalism, racism and discrimination is hate, then I am all in.
BTW, your cuss against me some months ago wasn't quite hate, right.
Happy New Year wink

Khaga 2018-12-31 21:54:15 

In reply to Emir

Denounce and renounce extremism and terrorism in your religion for once before you pass on..

sgtdjones 2018-12-31 22:10:28 

In reply to Khaga

You are asking an Imam to do the impossible.

This individual learned from his parents and environment
at an early age such traits. I lived amongst such characters in Trinidad, even to today, its engrained at an early age in various mosques.

Notice, his admonishment of Hindu's in his postings about fellow Guyanese. This man claims to be a man of God, such
individuals are more sympathetic; they don't harangue at fellow humans.

This old man's hate and vituperation is seen in this
forum by his postings.

Change is impossible.

sad

Emir 2018-12-31 22:14:45 

In reply to Khaga

Done-see my post above and my many numerous condemnation of Saudi Wahbbism.
wink

DAVE400 2019-01-02 10:19:20 

Is there no intrepid poster willing to post these comments on Obama's FB page so that he can purge his soul of his recent ingestion of Naipaul?