The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Thomas set to miss BPL after failed NOC

CaribbeanCricket.com 2018-12-31 06:16:27 

Rangpur Riders were seemingly dealt a blow ahead of the January 5 start to the 2019 Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) after speedster Oshane Thomas failed to secure his No Objection Certificate (NOC) from Cricket West Indies (CWI).

With the Regional 4-Day Championships set to resume on Thursday, January 4, a day prior to the start of the BPL, it was no surprise that the 21-year-old pacer was not given the go-ahead from CWI to play in the franchise league.
Jamaica Scorpions have not gotten the strongest of starts with Guyana and Barbados sitting 1 and 2 respectively, more so with Thomas’ direction heading to Bangladesh could mean the Scorpions are without one of their main weapons heading into the most crucial stage of the tournament.

The Riders picked up the Jamaica fast-man during October’s official BPL draft, where he was set to play alongside Windies and T20 batting legend and fellow countryman Chris Gayle. However, with the NOC not approved and Thomas being named in the Scorpions side, it is likely that the regional batters will have to contest with the right-arm pacer as the CWI would unlikely give permission to play in the BPL.

Guyana Times has the report

Full Story

dayne 2018-12-31 07:35:25 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

This is an interesting development, will Thomas be compensated for all that money he will not be making?

brians_da_best 2018-12-31 08:03:36 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

I’m glad they’re doing this. It should have always been like this. West Indies first, and franchisees in the off season, like it is with every other country

Jumpstart 2018-12-31 08:09:47 

In reply to brians_da_best

It will go to court, CWI will loose because you can't deny a man's right to make an income. Is not a hotel chain we managing. This goes against the most basic local and international labour laws

silver 2018-12-31 08:11:38 

In reply to dayne

Between IPL the world cup and playing for the Windies Thomas will make one million this year. Don't you think West Indies deserve some compensation on their investment?

lol lol lol

silver 2018-12-31 08:15:48 

In reply to Jumpstart

Then he should not sign the central contract

Str8_Drive 2018-12-31 08:27:22 

In reply to silver

As Far as I know CWI get a decent cut ( at least 10% I think ) out of every contract, so technically they are compensated.

The bigger picture is that he is not on a retainer contract ( Link Text ), I am not sure how they can legally think this is possible, the developments here will be very interesting ,, I would love to see if they would try this if Ramnarine was around big grin big grin

anthonyp 2018-12-31 08:52:43 

Maybe Thomas don't want to play in Bangladesh so he asked CWI to help him out..

After all the Bangladesh umpire called no ball wrongfully off the man bowling twice in an over ..

bobby 2018-12-31 09:05:57 

In reply to brians_da_best

Will you pay him the difference? And will you pay his pension when Crooked Dave just discards him at a whim?
There is no future in playing for Crooked Dave and NO ONE should be prevented from making a living.
NONE of you CWI fans would be willing to give money, real money, to a fund to support our players, when they retire or are discarded. Many of our former greats are catching hell.

Tryangle 2018-12-31 09:20:26 

In reply to silver

Then he should not sign the central contract

Good point. Maybe if his star continues to rise he may be in a better position to negotiate going forward?

It's a bit of a tough situation for the player. You make your name working your way through the Windies programmes, only to get hamstrung as you become in demand by the high-paying pro legaues.

Slipfeeler 2018-12-31 09:54:29 

In reply to Tryangle

Oshane although fast-tracked should have been selected at least a year ago to the senior teams. Now the young man is in demand, I am ambivalent about CWI position, while we should always have the best players in all matches playing for WI but he should be adequately compensated by commensurate loss of income. This has been the root cause of dissatisfaction and discontent of previous players against CWI and resulted in players going rogue by becoming independent of CWI. CWI might also be concerned about the development of the young star, not wanting him to become overworked which could result in injuries, for he has to be properly managed.

imusic 2018-12-31 10:02:09 

In reply to Slipfeeler

CWI might also be concerned about the development of the young star, not wanting him to become overworked which could result in injuries, for he has to be properly managed.

Yes. CWI has an excellent record of managing their fast bowling resources.

Str8_Drive 2018-12-31 10:02:57 

can anyone here confirm that Thomas actually has a central contract ? ( provide link if possible )

this link suggests not Link Text

Walco 2018-12-31 10:20:23 

In reply to Str8_Drive

Perhaps he has a contract with the JCA

Pacy 2018-12-31 10:34:34 

In reply to imusic

Looks like CWI going through the same failed process again...

Slipfeeler 2018-12-31 10:43:02 

In reply to Pacy

In reply to imusic

See how CWI managed young, talented pacer Joseph, we haven't heard much about him.lately after a bout of injury.

TyTy35 2018-12-31 10:46:37 

In reply to Walco

He probably does have a contract with JCA, either way this is the right decision. With the English tour coming up there is a very good chance, Thomas will be picked for the test squad obviously the CWC believes its best for Thomas to get match ready by playing in the PCL over this Bangladesh bush league. Everybody is quick to jump and say oh the man is going to miss out on money, there is a world cup coming up should he stay in the managements good graces, and get selected to the World cup Squad he would make a lot more there than in Bangladeshso wuh lose? Some of these so called fans are so short sighted its embarrassing rolleyes

black 2018-12-31 10:47:57 

In reply to Jumpstart

It will go to court, CWI will loose because you can't deny a man's right to make an income. Is not a hotel chain we managing. This goes against the most basic local and international labour laws

I'm not an expert on International labour laws, but I would think that if WI invested in players, they would have a right to a return on investments.

I have been saying this for a long time and now it's coming to pass.

Slipfeeler 2018-12-31 11:54:30 

In reply to TyTy35

Logical and clear reasoning, makes sense, lets see what transpires!

natty_forever 2018-12-31 12:01:09 

In reply to TyTy35… they better select him then.

twisted

Str8_Drive 2018-12-31 12:34:50 

In reply to Walco

Right , probably JA central contract makes sense.

I think it is the best thing for our Cricket , assuming there are legal grounds , I hope that this does not discourage Oshane and he will continue to move forward and perform and represent us, hopefully IPL and one other league will keep him happy.

sunfish 2018-12-31 12:46:47 

I sincerely hope the WICB explained their position to him and that they have him earmarked for the English tour. Would love to see him take on the Limeys.

Go Tommo!!

silver 2018-12-31 13:04:32 

CWI have 60 regional players on central contract. That's why they call it the PCL

lol lol lol

Star 2018-12-31 13:07:48 

In reply to TyTy35

With the English tour coming up there is a very good chance, Thomas will be picked for the test squad

Study your own statement very carefully.

Are you suggesting that the young man should base his well being on a chance he may be selected for the test squad?

Illogical way of thinking in my humble opinion.

Gun_Play 2018-12-31 13:50:52 

First y'all want the men represent the WI and then y'all want them at every T20 league in the world.

You can't pick and choose your work.

You're either playing for the WI or you're not.

If you're not representing the WI in international or domestic cricket when called upon you should not be given an NOC to play in any league.

That should go for every single player in the WI.

If players don't want to play for the WI then they're free to go look for another occupation!

Stop with all the crap!!!!

Maispwi 2018-12-31 14:13:25 

In reply to Gun_Play

If players don't want to play for the WI then they're free to go look for another occupation!

De problem de players have wid doing dat is dey wud have to wait for two years before dey cud play so dey pay lip service to de WI by not retiring while milking de NOC system

TyTy35 2018-12-31 14:35:22 

In reply to Star

I'm hoping the management would have had discussions with him, but its obvious to everyone that the CWC has him in their long term plans based on his selection to the A team and in limited overs cricket. Thomas is 21 ultimately he has to determine what is best for him in the long run and sometimes it means taking chances and even passing up short term opportunities for the big picture, Bangladesh Premiere league should not be the ultimate goal for him. I personally think hes destined for bigger things and he should believe it too and not sweat this NOC denial too hard.

Tryangle 2018-12-31 14:45:12 

In reply to TyTy35

I'm sure any promising international has to weigh up current vs future income potential. Something like a career-threatening injury could derail any plan, hence players looking to make as much as early on as possible.

Men's cricket's a bit of an anomaly when it comes to professional sport because the international game is still king vs domestic/pro league play, unlike football or basketball (not to mention the administration of each).

positiveg 2018-12-31 15:52:33 

In reply to TyTy35

Thing is lot of people don't think long term
They think abotu short term gains. listen to a lot of short sighted ppl then when they fgall, those same ppl leave them by the way side.
Thomas should look at this as ok them man got me as being long term player, I could still make a lot of money, Cause playing int he IPL there's no Int'l cricket during this teime so he gonn astill make some money plus with 3 tours on WI duties plus a lil change in the PCL.
This money grabbing culture we want these man subscribe too, still turn round wex when they don't play for the WI, and be bawling bout ' selectors not picking the best team' when we support these players going round playing in all these bush leagues

imusic 2018-12-31 16:08:37 

In reply to positiveg

This money grabbing culture we want these man subscribe too, still turn round wex when they don't play for the WI, and be bawling bout ' selectors not picking the best team' when we support these players going round playing in all these bush leagues

Allyuh want players to save themselves for WI in tests To do so they have to play PCL. It have any league mode “BUSH” than forkane PCL?

PCL where NOBODY comes out to watch. Where nobody cares. Where your top performers year after year are named Devon Smith and Nikita Miller. How deliciously ironic that those are your top performers in that “bush league”

Perfect poster children for the ultimate “bush league”

Allyuh on kicks yes.

positiveg 2018-12-31 16:59:57 

In reply to imusic

The PCL could only get better if better players play
Ah u like to talk about an improve team yet support players playing in other leagues but not your own
And please don't chime in about WICB/CWI
My only interest is West Indies cricket I for one no care who run de ting as long as it's run properly
I'll support any measure that seems to try and improve Windies cricket.
hence why i can call out any player, or management that doesn't do what they are supposed to do. And support any measure that seems to want to improve cricket.

Walco 2018-12-31 17:02:18 

In reply to Gun_Play

If you're not representing the WI in international or domestic cricket when called upon you should not be given an NOC to play in any league.

What you are suggesting is a recipe for disaster. The only way CWI can refuse to issue NOCs to players without putting itself in serious legal jeopardy is with players signed to retainer contracts. Otherwise it's bankruptcy liquidation time for CWI

imusic 2018-12-31 17:22:37 

In reply to positiveg

hence why i can call out any player, or management that doesn't do what they are supposed to do.

Players supposed to take care of themselves and their families. Period.

Walco 2018-12-31 17:47:33 

In reply to TyTy35

Can's say that I disagree with anything in your post.

Walco 2018-12-31 17:53:56 

In reply to Str8_Drive

The long term problem faced by CWI is that at some point all of these "star" players become unaffordable because it cannot match the dollars available from the T20 leagues. The players refuse retainer contracts and become free agents chasing the almighty dollar. It's inevitable. Have you ever noticed that our T20 stars only play for us to qualify for World Cups when the money is good and the T20 leagues are on hiatus?

Emir 2018-12-31 17:59:10 

In reply to TyTy35

Bangladesh Premiere league should not be the ultimate goal for him

And apparently he had made that decision that he believes is best for him- all of us do that with our career.

Now, what if it was the IPL? Would you see it differently?

WI players will always be in this situation because of Board and their years of lies, deceit, mis management, corruption and ineptness . PLAYERS DON'T TRUST THEM, SPONSORS DON'TT TRUST THEM AND FANS HAVE STOP GOING TO THEIR GAMES.

positiveg 2018-12-31 18:24:36 

In reply to imusic

You do know most these players had to be playing for Windies before playing overseas right?

imusic 2018-12-31 19:09:57 

In reply to Walco

The players refuse retainer contracts and become free agents chasing the almighty dollar.

How typical.

The players sign a contract based on what the market says they’re worth

Have you stayed with one emaployer for your entire work career? If not and you’ve ever moved on to another job, did your former employer get compensated for “developing” you? Should they? If you moved, why did you? Were you chasing “the almighty dollar”?

The hypocrisy on this site reeks when it comes to this shit evil

imusic 2018-12-31 19:10:23 

In reply to positiveg

What’s your point?

positiveg 2018-12-31 19:36:54 

In reply to imusic

OK SEEING YOU WANT IT THIS WAY
THESE GUYS WOULDN'T OF GOTTEN EXPOSURE WITHOUT PLAYING UNDER SOME WEST INDIES CRICKET BANNER EVENT
HENCE THE MONEY THEY ARE MAKING AND WILL MAKE IS DUE TO REPRESENTING THE WEST INDIES

So if they are to go around and maximise earnings at least give back to who help you get there.

silver 2018-12-31 20:41:03 

In reply to positiveg

The problem these small cricket boards face is that the BCCI and the ICC is the same thing

imusic 2018-12-31 20:48:52 

In reply to positiveg

If you’ve ever changed jobs, did you give money back to who originally hired you?

If not, why not?

silver 2018-12-31 20:55:22 

In reply to imusic

So why you complain when we get licks

michaelmax 2018-12-31 23:48:00 

Whatever the pros and cons,when he got selected for BPL, he was not a part of WI setup. If he is ok with what has happened, let it be.

Walco 2019-01-01 03:45:44 

In reply to imusic

Bossman, please point to where I said there was something wrong with players choosing T20 leagues over playing for the West Indies. We all choose to chase the almighty dollar and there is nothing wrong with that. I am the first one on here to defend the right of players who are not under retainer contracts to get NOCs so they can maximize their earnings. The only problem I have is when some of those players pretend that playing for WI is a priority for them when maximizing income is the real priority.

Have you stayed with one employer for your entire work career? If not and you’ve ever moved on to another job, did your former employer get compensated for “developing” you? Should they? If you moved, why did you? Were you chasing “the almighty dollar”?

I am surprised that you asked me this question because I have posted several times about this on here. I have even started threads on the topic. The argument about CWI receiving compensation for its investment is legally and morally suspect as it relates to players not under retainer contracts. I have also argued that CWI receiving 10% of the salaries that these players make from T20 leagues is illegal. My position is and always has been that if CWI wants to keep those players and get a return on investment it should sign them to retainer contracts. But the eventual affordability problem CWI runs into was highlighted in my post that you apparently found objectionable.

Lighten up boss. And Happy New Year to you and yours.

Maispwi 2019-01-01 07:03:45 

In reply to Walco

The 10% that CWI and its affilliates get is akin to FIFA's Training Compeensation fee that covers a player's development from 12 - 23 and quite justified given the investment in U15, 17, 19 and to some extent A team tournaments.

Once a player turns down a Central contract it means that he is going to milk the system. He is going to have as little contact as possible with regional cricket but still hide behind the restriction of employment argument to obtain a NOC.

The absence of our better players from regional competition has a domino effect. It weakens the competition, it slows the growth and development of new players and it restricts the level of sponsorship that can be attained.

None of these are of benefit to WI cricket and a minimum level of involvement by players in all regional tournaments has to be agreed by all parties or we will continue spinning top in mud.

But then again we have as a region always been a net exporter of labour in all fields so why shud cricket be any different?

brians_da_best 2019-01-01 07:59:05 

Its funny. Only in the west indies do people justify players playing in different leagues. Everywhere else, players always put their own country first, and everything else follows, when and if they have time to play.

Why don't arguments like players putting food on their table, lawsuits, compensating players for missing franchisee cricket, etc come up in other countries.

Bear in mind, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh etc have very poorly managed boards, yet they have greater control over their players.

Its good cwi is trying to exercise control on their players.

positiveg 2019-01-01 09:31:18 

In reply to imusic

No thte same thing.But I was on study leave from my job and when I cam back I had to work for a set period for them
Happen all the time, just like a studen with a scholarship.
Not the same as hiring, but I see where you're going with this music, but not the same, in my opinion anyway.
New Year's Greetings to you all on this thread and their family.

Walco 2019-01-01 10:09:24 

In reply to Maispwi

Your argument about the 10% fee is well taken but I don't think it would pass legal muster because it has been imposed on the players rather than implemented with their consent.

The government of Barbados paid for my elementary and secondary education and also paid for a law degree I got from Norman Manley Law School in 2010. Is the Barbados government entitled to a percentage of my income for the rest of my life simply because of the integral role it played in my intellectual development even though I no longer live there ? The same applies to cricketers. Yes, CWI and local governments made investment in these players and helped to develop them, but that should not give CWI the right to dip into their pockets for the remainder of their careers. I don't like the fact that these players are choosing to play for others instead of the WI, but I support their right to make that choice in cases where they do not have central contracts with CWI or one of its member boards.

camos 2019-01-01 11:09:32 

In reply to TyTy35

Thomas is 21 ultimately he has to determine what is best for him in the long run and sometimes it means taking chances and even passing up short term opportunities for the big picture

what big picture? any player that gambles on a secure WI future is an idiot! the ONLY man WI has looked out for in history is Floyd Reifer, if they don't give the NOC he should take them to court!

Maispwi 2019-01-01 11:53:23 

In reply to Walco

My understanding was that the franchises were the ones paying. The English were the only ones that had to pay their clubs back which resulted in few english players playing in the IPL at the start. Unless they were earning huge sums it was not worth their while.

What is now going to happen is that players are going to turn down their PCL franchise contracts and play oon a game by game basis so that they are free of contract obligations. And dat cyah be good for WI cricket. Shud the Board then be legally responsible for issuing a NOC if the player is not playing regional cricket as has been the case with Archer?

Countries engage in social good and in some cases provide free education with the view of bettering the country. But if more of the educated ones are migrating then most make changes as Barbados has attempted. In many cases the free education is provided as a scholarship or bursary with a bond attached.

BTW I agree that there shud be a time limit on the payments but given that cricket development must continue, how long shud dat be for?

Walco 2019-01-01 12:25:41 

In reply to camos

What if Thomas has a retainer contract with the JCA that gives the JCA the right to deny him NOCs when his services are required for Jamaica in the PCL?

silver 2019-01-01 12:43:42 

In reply to camos

The development contract paid his bills before the BPL knew who he was. Thomas is ok with the decision

Walco 2019-01-01 12:50:59 

In reply to Maispwi

Even if the IPL teams pay the 10% it will have the effect of putting downward pressure on player salaries. The only solution to this problem faced by CWI is a revenue sharing arrangement at the ICC level. But that is not likely to happen anytime soon.

camos 2019-01-01 14:02:41 

In reply to Walco

What if Thomas has a retainer contract with the JCA that gives the JCA the right to deny him NOCs when his services are required for Jamaica in the PCL?

then the WI would not be in a legal position to block the offer! JCA is part owner of CWI not the other way around!

Walco 2019-01-01 14:16:15 

In reply to camos

You are missing my point. CWI has to issue or deny the NOC based upon instructions from the JCA. The BPL team would not have contacted the JCA for the NOC. Only CWI can issue or deny NOCs for WI players under the ICC rules.

camos 2019-01-01 16:19:50 

In reply to Walco
Bro WI can't object to a noncontracted player based on some third party obligations of the said player! Is WI responsible for the nonpayment of the Pride players unpaid wages?

Star 2019-01-01 16:32:14 

[b]In reply to imusic[/b

You have to excuse some posters here for not understanding how the real world works.

mkcharles 2019-01-01 17:28:25 

Does anyone even know what is Thomas' position in the whole situation?

While he shouldn't be expected to turn down a sure paycheck, I hope someone tells him that notwithstanding potential, as a black man until he is bona fide certified international class, he and others like him should not turn aside the opportunity to play international cricket.

Franchises have no more loyalty than the WICB. One paycheck is just one paycheck. All the power is really of his own making.

tekiteazy123 2019-01-01 19:53:35 

In reply to TyTy35
Good reasoning

Kurt 2019-01-01 21:30:36 

In reply to Gun_Play

You Sir, are a jackass.

Let me rephrase that: a Royal Jackass!

Walco 2019-01-02 06:22:17 

In reply to camos

You said this:

JCA is part owner of CWI not the other way around!

Then this:
Bro WI can't object to a noncontracted player based on some third party obligations of the said player!

In the first instance you acknowledge that the JCA is an owner of CWI and in the second instance you reference "third party obligations" as if they they are unrelated entities. As it relates to NOCs and restraint of trade law the JCA and CWI are one and the same. My point is that if Thomas has a retainer contract with the JCA that gives the JCA the right to deny him NOCs when his services are required for Jamaica or even WI, any lawsuit he files challenging CWI's denial of his request for an NOC will fail. You should focus less on the legal formalities and technicalities and more on the substantive reality of the relationship between the JCA and CWI.

Slipfeeler 2019-01-02 10:14:52 

In reply to Walco

There have to be some level of loyalty and accoutability to the entities that prepared the way for your success. You do in fact owe the B'jan people some degree of accountability. The Jamaican govt paid for all my education, including my UWI degree, free of cost. Although the govt didn't pay for my medical education, I still feel obligated to my people, even though I have been living abroad for several years. Oshane is a fast, rising star but cannot now follow Gayle's footsteps for he is young and not as entrenched or experience as Gayle. He has to play for WI and develop his experience and game, while of-course playing in some other T20 leagues but his loyalty now should be with the WI team.

che 2019-01-02 10:41:54 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Best of lot Shai Hope, Big Jase loyal to Windies..

mitch44 2019-01-02 11:08:26 

This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man."
Shakespeare

camos 2019-01-02 12:37:48 

In reply to che

all Bajans loyal to WI until England want them! lol

Walco 2019-01-02 13:13:02 

In reply to Slipfeeler

The government of Barbados helped in my development with the hope and expectation that I would eventually become a productive member of society, contribute to the development of the country. and pay taxes. CWI helps to develop WI cricketers with the hope and expectation that they would become good enough to represent the senior team and contribute to the WI team winning cricket matches. I will ask you a few questions. What do you think my remaining obligation is to the government and people of Barbados? And in the case of Chris Gayle, what is his remaining obligation to CWI? How much money are they entitled to earn from the fruits of Gayle's labour? Or put another way, how much income is Gayle supposed to forego for the good of WI cricket or so that he can represent the WI? These are not simple or easy questions.

Slipfeeler 2019-01-02 13:47:04 

In reply to Walco

In the case of Gayle the point is moot, for CWI gets about 10 percent of his cricket-related earnings, no other obligations necessary.However in your case, the policy of "Pass it forward," applies you. Simply you have to find a way to give back to the B'jan people directly, Maybe offering a scholarship to youngsters or financing or positive motivation to a group of young B'jans in career direction. Helping them to become positive contributors to the B'Jan society. We have an organization in US and Canada that provides financial support, sports equipment and positive reinforcement to youngsters back in JA.

Walco 2019-01-02 14:30:33 

In reply to Slipfeeler

In the case of Gayle the point is moot, for CWI gets about 10 percent of his cricket-related earnings, no other obligations necessary.

It's not moot at all because can sue CWI and the ICC after he retires and recoup every penny extracted from his pocket by CWI with the cooperation of boards around the world.

As far as pass it forward is concerned, you are referring to a moral obligation, not a legal obligation. But I contribute more to Jamaica than I contribute to Barbados in terms of giving back. You are to be commended for what you do for the land of wood and water.

Headley 2019-01-02 15:55:17 

Link Text

Windies pacer Sheldon Cottrell will reportedly replace fellow fast bowler Oshane Thomas in the Rangpur Riders squad for the upcoming Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) after the latter, after an agreement with Cricket West Indies did not apply for a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the regional body.

The bowler has, however, been refused permission to take part in the competition by Cricket West Indies (CWI) Thomas is currently a part of the Jamaica squad for this season’s regional four-day competition, which got under way in early December. Though the Windies are yet to name a squad for the upcoming England tour, but the bowler could also feature at some point during that series that will begin on January 23. Thomas featured for the West Indies in both recent Asian tours against India and Bangladesh, while Cottrell featured for the team during the Bangladesh series. Cottrell claimed seven wickets in the three-match T20 series.

openning 2019-01-02 16:06:20 

In reply to Slipfeeler

There have to be some level of loyalty and accoutability to the entities that prepared the way for your success. You do in fact owe the B'jan people some degree of accountability. The Jamaican govt paid for all my education, including my UWI degree, free of cost. Although the govt didn't pay for my medical education

A Barbadian scholar told me the same thing, he owes the people of Barbados, for his education.
He did returned and worked in bim

Slipfeeler 2019-01-02 16:42:18 

In reply to openning

That's the type of nationalistic loyalty missing among most of our scholars who obtained their illustrious education on the backs of local tax payers.

Slipfeeler 2019-01-02 16:45:49 

In reply to Walco

Great that you contribute to the Yardie economy but you have a moral obligation to the Ba'jans. Thanks for informing us on Gayle's legal options.

imusic 2019-01-02 20:38:21 

In reply to Walco

Happy New Year to you and yours.

Right back at you

imusic 2019-01-02 20:39:43 

In reply to positiveg

New Year's Greetings to you all on this thread and their family

Same to you positive

Respeck

black 2019-01-02 21:34:15 

In reply to Walco

The government of Barbados paid for my elementary and secondary education and also paid for a law degree I got from Norman Manley Law School in 2010. Is the Barbados government entitled to a percentage of my income for the rest of my life simply because of the integral role it played in my intellectual development even though I no longer live there ?

They should have been compensated. The Bajan Government is not obligated to educate you beyond your high school years.

Pacy 2019-01-03 02:41:27 

In reply to Gun_Play

You can't pick and choose your work.

No one wants to pick and choose their work... But how do you justify the arbitrary nature of the approach?

If I am Thomas and I see Cotterell playing in Bangladesh while I am denied there is every reason for me to be aggrieved. Does this mean that if you are not good enough you get to have freedom whole you being good is detrimental?

This authoritarian approach to the game has long gone... The current world is about negotiations and finding a common ground. Where is the negotiation with the players on finding a common ground between International leagues and domestic cricket?

Funny that we lament that the kids do not take up the game...May be many kids and youth are taking your advice and moving away from cricket. When you see empty stadiums and clubs not finding players for their teams, your words are already felt down the layers I think

Pacy 2019-01-03 02:49:25 

I had seen this arbitrary approach when the first batch of T20 stars surfaced and we are on to it again.

When are we going to have a policy for International tournaments for all WI players? A Contracted player (Regional / International) should be allowed to play a max of CPL, IPL (Which has a window) and 2 other International T20s of their choice.

Today you decide that Oshane Thomas is part of your plans and you decide to reject his NOC while you allow Cotterell to play in BPL. Selection is subjective and if Oshane ends up not being selected for WC then he might feel cheated.

Unless there is common ground achieved and consistently applied we are going to go nowhere.

Walco 2019-01-03 06:26:31 

In reply to black

The Bajan Government is not obligated to educate you beyond your high school years.

Apparently the Barbados government at the time had a policy of paying for the first degree for all bajans who studied at UWI. I had done a first degree and a law degree in the US and I was already an attorney. I decided to do a 6-month course at Norman Manley Law School that would qualify me to practice law in the commonwealth Caribbean. The tuition was about US$2,000 as I recall. I went to the registrar's office to pay my tuition and I was informed that the Barbados government had already paid it. To say that I was shocked would be an understatement.

Slipfeeler 2019-01-03 08:10:12 

In reply to Walco

Really? No wonder the Bajan govt is currently facing economic hardships with high economic cost and revenue shortfalls. Especially when the govt invested into an individual's education without the appropriate return to the country. Similar situation in JA, especially under the Michael Manley govt, free education was granted at all levels of education. Many educated Jcans migrated abroad leaving the govt. holding the bag. Its not just a Bajan situation but a regional problem.

Headley 2019-01-03 10:16:59 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Really? No wonder the Bajan govt is currently facing economic hardships with high economic cost and revenue shortfalls. Especially when the govt invested into an individual's education without the appropriate return to the country. Similar situation in JA, especially under the Michael Manley govt, free education was granted at all levels of education. Many educated Jcans migrated abroad leaving the govt. holding the bag. Its not just a Bajan situation but a regional problem.

Surely this cannot be the totality of your analysis.

Kay 2019-01-03 11:47:43 

In reply to Pacy

Do you know the real reason why Thomas is being denied a NOC or you just think is spite and bad mindedness?