The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Windies not among Sir Viv’s WC 2019 favourites

sgtdjones 2019-01-01 11:27:52 

Windies not among Sir Viv’s WC 2019 favorites

GUWA­HATI, In­dia – Leg­endary for­mer West In­dies cap­tain, Sir Vi­vian Richards, has held out lit­tle hope of the Caribbean side win­ning next year’s ICC World Cup in Eng­land.

He iden­ti­fied the hosts along with five-time win­ners and reign­ing cham­pi­ons, Aus­tralia, as among his favorites but over­looked the strug­gling Windies.

“Eng­land has played well [in the past] but al­ways they have fall­en short at the last mo­ment. It is a good team al­ways,” Sir Viv told re­porters.

“Pak­istan and In­dia are two teams that can de­feat any­one. Aus­tralia is an an­oth­er great team. So, I think there are four, five teams that have the po­ten­tial to win the 2019 World Cup.”

West In­dies are ranked ninth in the ICC one-day rank­ings, a po­si­tion that forced them to play a qual­i­fy­ing tour­na­ment last March in or­der to reach the May 30 to Ju­ly 14 tour­na­ment.

How­ev­er, they are to im­prove on their ODI form, win­ning just three of 11 games this year in bi­lat­er­al se­ries. More glar­ing­ly, West In­dies have not won an ODI se­ries in four years.

Link Text

navindesigns 2019-01-01 11:28:24 

y would anyone pick WI as favorites?

Tryangle 2019-01-02 09:26:15 

In reply to navindesigns

I mean seriously. As of now WI are probably the least fancied of the ten teams. It is what it is.

Yadi 2019-01-02 19:30:04 

In reply to sgtdjones

New Zealand is up there too.

Jumpstart 2019-01-02 19:49:07 

If WI encounter Afghanistan in the tournament, the Afghans would be the favorites, can’t blame Sir Viv
My favorites:
England(I think it’s their tournament to loose)
New Zealand
India
Australia with the caveat that smith and warner are reintegrated successfully
SA and Pakistan are my dark horses

Tryangle 2019-01-04 09:42:37 

In reply to Jumpstart

South Africa and Pakistan are perennial darkhorses... can beat anybody, can lose to anybody.

The round robin format means that consistency will be rewarded, but it's also forgiving in that one bad result can be overcome. Which helps a team like England.

Right now I'd expect India, England and Australia to be favourites for the SFs; Kiwis probably getting the fourth spot in a dogfight.

FanAdict 2019-01-04 22:24:38 

In reply to sgtdjones

GREAT bATSMAN THAT'S ALL
MAN Picks 5 team that can win the WC in a ten team tournament