The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

When You Visit Guyana

goofballs 2019-01-02 00:27:05 

especially certain previously peaceful areas in Corentyne.

Link Text

Tragedy greeted a family of Bush Lot Farm, Corentyne on New Year’s Day when bandits murdered two brothers.
Dead are 46-year-old Haricharan Samaroo called ‘Davo’ – a father of three – and Premcharran Samaroo called ‘Tolly,’ 45, a father of two.

Wonder if parliament was in session
He was shot at point blank range to the head and died instantly.
His brother, Davo ran to his assistance but the bandits attacked and savagely beat him.

Norm 2019-01-02 01:31:34 

What a tragedy - for a few hundred US dollars, stolen from an overseas Guyanese. Bush Lot Farm is three villages away from where I grew up. It has always been a very quiet place, with mostly Indian residents, like most of the surrounding communities.

goofballs 2019-01-02 02:16:09 

In reply to Norm

I thought of you Bhai.

Larr Pullo 2019-01-02 06:03:41 

In reply to Norm

...and it's mostly the same residents who know when an overseas relative visits and decides to rob their neighbors.

Norm 2019-01-02 09:22:16 

In reply to Larr Pullo

it's mostly the same residents

True. Violent crime, such as the one referred to in the lead post, could be carried out by any race in Guyana. The spate of pirating off the Berbice coast in recent years, that resulted the violent murders and robbery of fisherman at sea, were generally carried out by Indians from the Skeldon area.

Sometimes you have to wonder if Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wasn't right about The Land That Time Forgot being in Guyana.

goofballs 2019-01-02 09:34:45 

In reply to Norm

If that is so, then can't accuse East Indians of not integrating in the Guyana's society. razz Great job!!
Anything you can do, I can.......

We will let Poirot figure who done it, but POINT is, crime has increased so much in previously safe, peaceful areas. Wonder what the security minister is (not) doing?

Tryangle 2019-01-02 09:53:11 

In reply to Larr Pullo

How disgusting.

.and it's mostly the same residents who know when an overseas relative visits and decides to rob their neighbors

I can believe it. Lord how disgusting.

bravos 2019-01-02 10:33:23 

Careful guys looks like 4-5 murders in Guyana for the year already including a beheading ...to be honest it seems a bit eerie and ominous to me,with the new political developments they cannot afford to let this run away,crime feeds off negative politics,total recipe for disaster especially with all the political agendas,careful guys ..

And dem 2 uncles look like dem nuh in nutten jus livin a simple life,rel wickedness..RIP..

uton 2019-01-02 12:27:15 

In reply to Norm

True. Violent crime, such as the one referred to in the lead post, could be carried out by any race in Guyana. The spate of pirating off the Berbice coast in recent years, that resulted the violent murders and robbery of fisherman at sea, were generally carried out by Indians from the Skeldon area.

When I was in Guyana prior to last Xmas a taxi driver was robbed by three women in Durban Backlands, the strongest one sat behind him and put him in a headlock when he stopped the car and the others took his possessions.

steveo 2019-01-02 13:00:02 

In reply to Larr Pullo

...and it's mostly the same residents who know when an overseas relative visits and decides to rob their neighbors.

Hate to break your logic, but thieves walk and scout the villages in broad daylight and then strike in the night

Few days ago, a family friend of ours had visitors from the far off land of Parika. They were burglarized in the night, the thieves gun-butted elderly women and stole phones etc.

A day of so earlier the same men were seen walking thru the area and they stood out because they were not from there.

This is my experience from living IN Guyana, not sprouting some nice sounding logic and sensitivity from my 1st world post, with 5 min police reaction times.

If I had my way, each law abiding citizen would be armed with a uzi to protect their family

steveo 2019-01-02 13:03:22 

In reply to bravos

Those guys were imbibing too much, a victim of the El Dorado

uton 2019-01-02 13:29:44 

In reply to steveo

Hate to break your logic, but thieves walk and scout the villages in broad daylight and then strike in the night

I think Larr was implying that there is a multitude of Indo criminals, which I can ascertain in Guyana today is every dog for itself.

Bigzinc 2019-01-02 14:27:03 

In reply to steveo

people like to drink and talk too facting much....rum drinking will keep guyana backwards into the next century

steveo 2019-01-02 20:18:48 

In reply to Bigzinc

people like to drink and talk too facting much....rum drinking will keep guyana backwards into the next century

You ever see people in the US, on social media brandishing wads of cash? How many of them get robbed and murdered?

Now I understand the FREEDOM of the US, you can be a jackass and safe at the same time.

bravos 2019-01-02 21:05:41 

In reply to steveo

Bad example bro,in the US they kill you for your own money all the time..even small lottery winnings,insurance,business control,stamp and coin collection etc etc and yes there have been incidents of murders related to money pics posted on social media..not to mention the million other ways you can get killed...we now trying to catch up,but YES I get you, we should live better than them..

steveo 2019-01-02 21:13:17 

In reply to bravos

Bad example bro,in the US they kill you for your own money all the time

Yeah if you live in the ghetto, but not generally in the middle to upper class suburbs

bravos 2019-01-02 21:18:08 

In reply to steveo

but not generally in the middle to upper class suburbs

Yeah that's where you get killed for your insurance, business share, wealth etc,sometimes even for yuh wife or husband, lol.

Anyway Guyanese shouldn't give up on their country,no one should..hopefully the brain drain would refill with some repatriation after the petro business get's off..a whole new level of education is required,you gonna start getting more geologists, chemists,skilled workers etc if the Gov't do their job facilitating and incubating that is .

I hope they know it requires a multifaceted approach with parallel programs in education and business etc,if not it can be a severe case of Dutch disease in the future..

The standard of the local workforce needs to be raised and that in itself can inspire a psyche/culture change .

Bigzinc 2019-01-03 08:56:20 

In reply to steveo

You need to be aware of where you are. No normal citizen walks into Tiger Bay or Albouystown loaded with bling in the day or in the night.

Guyana is facted long now....

People feel they have the right to relieve others of their valuables and cash...

goofballs 2019-01-03 11:00:24 

In reply to Bigzinc

Kalyug!
It is infectious.
Survivor of the fittest, or meanest or fastest or ones with the best weapon.
Morality and righteousness gone.

Biggest example is a bunch of crooks with overseas residence/citizenship going back there in parliament to pass laws on the poor people and bully, thieve from them.
White collar big crooks.

BeatDball 2019-01-03 11:04:08 

When you vist the ole country...keep a low profile; dont show off. Guyneez culture frown on show offs...dem bad bwoys gwine beat & rob you on Regent & Robb st & mih nah joke! Of course, a bottle of rum will make dem ragamuffins happy & glad!
cool

goofballs 2019-01-03 11:12:33 

In reply to Tryangle

Nah. Fake News!

How disgusting.
and it's mostly the same residents who know when an overseas relative visits and decides to rob their neighbors
I can believe it. Lord how disgusting.

According to sources, it starts from immigration and customs who know where the visitors are going to stay. Maybe the taxi drivers for those like me who don't have family there, and friends refuse, to pick up from airport.

It has become too difficult to stop and rob all the cars coming from the airport on that road to Georgetown. So now the syndicate can have an itinerary for their robbing and killing activities after they scout the victims.
Most village robberies are done by outsiders.

Bigzinc 2019-01-03 11:30:37 

In reply to goofballs
the security peeps in guyana are some of the biggest crooks...

Larr Pullo 2019-01-03 14:40:52 

In reply to goofballs

The home invaders were described as “young men” believed to have “known the area pretty well”. It was suggested by a relative of the deceased, that the young men could very well be residents of the village or a nearby village.

Yeah...

goofballs 2019-01-03 19:00:53 

In reply to Larr Pullo

POINT noted. (It is a new year).

But

One swallow does not a summer make.

However, I do believe that the crime epidemic is taking over. Whilst the white collar "big boys" thieving out all the resources, the common man has to live, by hook or by crook.
Survival of the fittest.

BeatDball 2019-01-03 20:23:56 

In reply to Bigzinc Dont say that...it really breaks morale...seriously.

sad