The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Lewis: Pybus appointment could impact CWI finances......

sgtdjones 2019-01-05 00:23:52 

Lewis: Pybus appointment could impact CWI finances

ST JOHN’S, An­tigua – There is a ma­jor con­cern that “sig­nif­i­cant high cost” could re­sult from the ap­point­ment of Eng­lish­man Richard Py­bus as in­ter­im head coach of the West In­dies men’s team.

In ar­gu­ing his case against the ap­point­ment, Lee­ward Is­lands Crick­et Board pres­i­dent, Enoch Lewis, said the as­so­ci­at­ed costs were “un­planned and un­bud­get­ed”, and were un­like­ly to im­pact ad­verse­ly on the al­ready frail Crick­et West In­dies fi­nances.

“… a sig­nif­i­cant­ly high cost to CWI is like­ly to arise out of the de­ci­sion to hand-pick and ap­point Mr Py­bus as in­ter­im Head Coach giv­en the like­ly hir­ing of new coach­es and con­verse­ly the ter­mi­na­tion of the ex­ist­ing coach­ing staff,” Lewis wrote in a let­ter to CWI, a copy of which was ob­tained by CMC Sports.

“Most of whom are un­der con­tract un­til Sep­tem­ber 2019, and be­cause this cost is un­planned and un­bud­get­ed and hap­pen­ing at a time when CWI is ex­pe­ri­enc­ing se­ri­ous cash flow chal­lenges as re­flect­ed by the ex­ist­ing sig­nif­i­cant cash deficit, which has neg­a­tive­ly im­pact­ed the com­pa­ny ca­pac­i­ty to meet nor­mal day-to-day ex­pens­es.”

Ac­cord­ing to the can­did let­ter last month, Lewis re­vealed that CWI pres­i­dent had “hand-picked” Py­bus for the top coach­ing role af­ter mak­ing an in­de­pen­dent de­ter­mi­na­tion that ne­go­ti­a­tions with the pre­vi­ous­ly board-ap­proved choice of South African Nic Pothas, had bro­ken down.

Crick­et West In­dies di­rec­tor and LICB pres­i­dent, Enoch Lewis.

Link Text