The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Green Book about Jamerican Don Shirley

JahJah 2019-01-07 18:32:40 

...a classical pianist travelling through the deep south...won Best Picture and Best Supporting Actor at Golden Globes. It made waves at the Toronto Film Festival last year.

All now nothing 'bout him here? Is it because he reportedly played for the other team?
lol

Casper 2019-01-07 21:56:00 

More here about Don Shirley's family reaction to the movie, which they called a “symphony of lies”, since it was seen through the eyes of the white bouncer/driver, and as relayed to the son of the bouncer who co-wrote the script.

Co-written by Farrelly, Brian Currie, and Vallelonga’s son, Nick, Green Book is told primarily from Vallelonga’s point of view, relying heavily on the dozens of letters he sent his wife, Dolores (played in the film by Linda Cardellini), during the road trip, and on audio tapes the younger Vallelonga recorded of his father recounting stories from that time. Farrelly said the writers also relied on conversations Nick had with Don Shirley, and looked to audio tapes of the pianist recorded by director Josef Astor for his documentary Lost Bohemia, about the artists who rented apartments above Carnegie Hall. Dr. Shirley was one of the music hall’s tenants.

The criticism escalated in December, when members of the Shirley family called Green Book a “symphony of lies,” finding fault specifically with the notion that Don was estranged from his family. In an interview with Shadow and Act, Don’s brother Maurice also said that Shirley and Vallelonga weren’t close friends. Said Maurice’s wife, Patricia, in the interview, “It was an employer-employee relationship.” Nephew Edwin Shirley III said that Ali called both him and his uncle Maurice to personally apologize for his portrayal of his uncle Don, saying, “If I have offended you, I am so, so terribly sorry. I did the best I could with the material I had.”

POINT 2019-01-08 12:13:10 

Don Shirley was a Classical Pianist
who studied in Music in Russian . I
once bought an LP of him playing Music
many years ago .

The " GREEN BOOK " essentially was a
Guide for People of Colour travelling
to the South , telling them what Roads
to take ; what Gas Stations , & Motels
were owned by Black Folks , also what
Restaurants in their Travels were also
owned by Black Folks .

Obviously the Author of The Green Book was Black . This is the first
time that I have ever heard about the Green Book , it is also the first time that I learned that Don Shirley had travelled in the South
Playing Classical Music .

Casper 2019-01-08 12:57:01 

In reply to POINT

Obviously the Author of The Green Book was Black. This is the first time that I have ever heard about the Green Book, it is also the first time that I learned that Don Shirley had travelled in the South Playing Classical Music

To distinguish from Green Book, the movie, from “The Negro Motorist Green Book”, I am surprised you weren’t previously aware about the latter, until now.

Most of us on this MB, presumably, having born in West Indies, grew up never having to move around in possession of either a passbook or a Green Book to protect us or save us from embarrassing situations because of our skin colour.

In Jim Crow America, starting in the 1930s, publishing information to make Blacks more aware of their physical location and, where it was or not safe to be when traveling, was important for them to know if they were to remain safe from physical harm or personal embarrassment.

BTW, you can easily obtain a PDF file copy of the book on the internet.

Khary9 2019-01-08 16:23:29 

In reply to Casper

"publishing information to make Blacks more aware of their physical location"???

Cmon G...

Drapsey 2019-01-08 16:26:19 

In reply to Khary9

Now, where have you been?

Chrissy 2019-01-08 16:34:34 

In reply to JahJah

Thanks - had not seen it

JayMor 2019-01-09 04:52:27 

In reply to JahJah

Thanks. Did not know about him. Monte Alexander-- yes, Don Shirley-- no.

--Æ.

Larr Pullo 2019-01-09 06:39:15 

In reply to JahJah

Don Shirley was of Jamaican descent.

Curtis 2019-01-09 22:47:41 

Just enjoyed the movie.

JahJah 2019-01-10 07:12:07 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Thanks, Captain Obvious! Isn't that what the title suggests? rolleyes lol lol lol

Curtis 2019-01-10 07:29:18 

In reply to Larr Pullo

...but not of accent.

Come to think of it, he was speaking well proper, queen's English throughout the movie, even correcting the Italian character. Then, when three rednecks rough him up in a bar down south, him ball out "Rass klatt!".