Who has tried the Ketogenic diet?

Pages: previous  1  2  3  4  next 
link Yamfoot Joined: Feb 9, 2003
1/9/19 9:49:59 PM 
In reply to pelon

Thanks for the science.

I like the no-diet diet. I just need to change my mindset and how I.view food.

I like freedom so a restrictive diet would not work forme.

I also eat because I am bored. Gotta find some non-work activity totake my mindoff food.

1/9/19 9:51:31 PM 
In reply to nitro

Thanks forthat suggestion, i have used fitday and myfitnesspal.

It is shocking when you track and see how many carbgramsare eaten somedays

1/9/19 9:52:02 PM 
In reply to black

I am not sedentary. I exercise.

1/9/19 9:56:03 PM 
In reply to RemainsUnknown

Did you know that the number of fat cells you’re going to end upwith in life, is determined during your youth?
I was therefore atadisadvantage cause I ate a lot of carbs as a kid. Hardoigh bread, ice creM etc.

So not all bodiesmetabolize foods the same way. My sister will nyama huge plate of rice for days with little effect.....and shenever used to exercise and had a desk job. Luck! Fortune!

link nick2020 Joined: Jul 2, 2012
1/9/19 10:44:22 PM 
In reply to Yamfoot

I also eat because I am bored.

My guess would be you eat when you are bored because you are compelled to eat and you lack a distraction from eating when you are bored.

I was therefore atadisadvantage cause I ate a lot of carbs as a kid. Hardoigh bread, ice creM etc.

Think it is as simple as this? Kids in general are carb consuming garbage disposals. Were you very active as a kid?

My sister will nyama huge plate of rice for days with little effect.....and shenever used to exercise and had a desk job. Luck! Fortune!

Did you two have similar body types during your childhood or was she slimmer than you?
Everything you do wrong catches up with you in the end.

You know there are garment factory workers in other parts of the world who eat a bowl of rice and a coke as sustenance and they are skin and bones (and unfortunately malnourished).

1/9/19 11:48:02 PM 
In reply to nick2020

Yes need distraction.

No, was no active as a kid. Only extracurricular activity was piano lessons for 15 years, though I did dancing for 1.5 years. I started to go to a gym when I was about 17. 300 situps at the army gym. Brutal and old school.

link nick2020 Joined: Jul 2, 2012
1/10/19 12:40:12 AM 
In reply to Yamfoot

Ultimately you need to address the root problem because realistically you won't be able to occupy yourself all the time with distractions.

I make the same excuses with my addictions. I understand.

link openning Joined: Nov 13, 2002
1/10/19 12:47:29 AM 
In reply to nick2020

How can allyuh help a 139 lbs man after over 60 years, gain some weight.
I still need to be in shape, able to dance, with the recommendations.

1/10/19 1:01:22 AM 
In reply to nick2020

Thankssss

1/10/19 1:01:53 AM 
In reply to openning

Take some of my weight!!!

link openning Joined: Nov 13, 2002
1/10/19 1:54:28 AM 
In reply to Yamfoot

My daughter tease me all the time, her uncle and I, when he was alive, could wear the same clothes.
We ate the same, live similar lives, but my older and younger brothers are bigger than us.
I never had a sweet tooth, had a problem with alcohol which I addressed, now my Blood pressure is good..
Pelon, is someone to listen to, calorie intake is something that should be address.
BTW, I understand it, when ever I go to something West Indian, people always talk about what's on my plate
I've worked around food, all my working life, and in the last 10 years, Salads and a protein is my go to, at lunch.

link VIX Joined: Feb 7, 2003
1/10/19 8:07:46 AM 
In reply to Yamfoot

The sustainable way to restrict calories is the problem. I love food......but it is healthy food.....just in tooo. Much quantity.

Well there you have it.
Sorry to be blunt but no diet will work for you.

You have to change your mindset, change your relationship with food. It's a personal thing which only you can fix.

link pelon Joined: Mar 22, 2008
1/10/19 9:03:15 AM 
In reply to VIX

Exactly right.

link Chrissy Joined: Nov 14, 2002
1/10/19 9:50:34 AM 
In reply to pelon

Replace bread with breadfruit, green plantain. or sweet potato. I love bread as in whole wheat but only eat it about once a week.

Just returned from my walk and exercise so I will have me a large late breakfast - usually some form of seafood or veg as in cabbage/callaloo/string beans or pak choy with dem fine Guyanese salt shrimp, saltfish or even smoked chicken along with breadfruit or green plantain, fruit juice made by me, coffee and a glass of water at the end.
Before I walk I have a banana and coffee. I never put anything sweet in coffee - that is sacrilege.
Around 1.00pm, I have home made broth - chicken, fish or celery which I make and freeze once a week. Somewhere between 2.30 and 4.00pm I have a full meal. Between 6.00 and 7.00 something sweet (I bake and freeze so something is always there). I'll even eat a piece of chocolate or ice cream. Sometimes I eat nuts or fruit later.
After my main meal I only drink water.
Adjustments are made for dining out, entertaining, etc.
I occasionally drink beer or wine.
My approach works for me.

1/10/19 10:05:18 AM 
In reply to Chrissy

My approach works for me.

Your pragmatic approach not just in diet, but life... has... and will always "work". Many are "searching" for what works (see thread) when the answer is behavioral and personal adjustment, not diet fad.

People complicate life with to many bandages to problems, when the solution is to eliminate or attack the problem at the source.

Year after year we get threads of: Have you tried THIS diet.... mostly from the same persons.

Happy New Year strong and independent sis. Stay amazing.

link nitro Joined: Apr 10, 2003
1/10/19 11:18:26 AM 
In reply to Yamfoot

Do you want to look normal, average or exceptional?

Keto is a lifestyle, not just a diet to lose weight.

link sgtdjones Joined: Feb 16, 2017
1/10/19 11:20:48 AM 
This is my guide I follow....

A calorie is simply a measurement of energy — the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a gram of water by 1 degree Celsius, according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information

To determine how many calories you need in a day. For a man, compute (9.99 x your weight in kilograms) + (6.25 x height in centimeters) - (4.92 x your age in years) + 5.

For a woman, compute (9.99 x your weight in kilograms) + (6.25 x your height in centimeters) - (4.92 x your age in years) - 161.

Based on the average weight of a 155-pound person, the research estimates you'll burn approximately 102 calories for each hour you sit at your desk

A person who weighs 125 pounds burns approximately 38 calories per hour sleeping

Sedentary adult women between the ages of 36 to 50 should consume roughly 1,800 calories per day to offset all the calories their bodies burn just carrying out normal functions.

Once you have an estimate of how many calories you burn in a day, you can then project how much you should eat to either maintain, lose, or gain weight.

link black Joined: Feb 28, 2004
1/10/19 11:21:26 AM 
In reply to nitro

Do you want to look normal, average or exceptional?

Who are you? Doctor Oz? lol

link RemainsUnknown Joined: Apr 15, 2005
1/10/19 11:24:22 AM 
In reply to Yamfoot

Did you know that the number of fat cells you’re going to end upwith in life, is determined during your youth?

So not all bodiesmetabolize foods the same way. My sister will nyama huge plate of rice for days with little effect.....and shenever used to exercise and had a desk job. Luck! Fortune!
I did not know that... re: fat cells, if true.

Btw, my best to you on your eat right, good health, and exercise path.

link RemainsUnknown Joined: Apr 15, 2005
1/10/19 11:36:19 AM 
In reply to openning

I never had a sweet tooth
Same here, fortunately. Nor, am I a foodie. I don't care for desserts, but I'll have an extra shot of single malt scotch. lol I pick my battles when it comes to "extra calories consumed." It's either one or the other (food or drink), almost never, both.

I have chocolate, candies, chips... name it, at my desk and a lot times, by the time I check and feel like to eat them... I have to throw out because they expired.

I know it's wasteful.... but, oh well...... I rather not eat expired food. I hoard them just in case... cool cool cool

1/10/19 12:10:32 PM 
In reply to RemainsUnknown & dodoYammy

Look, the number of fat cells may not increase after puberty (typical adult, with exceptions), BUT fat STORAGE can and does fluctuate. Don't think that 10000000^10 fat cells means you can't adjust the AMOUNT of fat stored in them. YOU can.

Each cell can store varying amounts of fat, cells (yes fat cells) can get bigger or smaller.

link black Joined: Feb 28, 2004
1/10/19 12:24:54 PM 
Some people are at a disadvantage (to gain weight) because of thyroid conditions but, knowing that, they should adjust their diets, accordingly.

1/10/19 12:38:17 PM 
In reply to pelon

100% correct - life is simple - eat more fruit and veg, less carbs and exercise. Friends marvel that I always clean my plate - close friends know I never overfill it and choose wisely even when a feast is available.
Good food and plenty of it never frightened me.

By the way two persons influenced my cooking and baking - the cooking was my favourite aunt, Veda and the baking was OBs grandma, Aunt Eggie. Dat lady could bake yuh see.

Have a great year bro.
lol

1/10/19 12:41:40 PM 
In reply to Yamfoot

If you eat when bored, eat fruits or nuts.

1/10/19 12:45:36 PM 
In reply to RemainsUnknown

Very well said - it is lifestyle

Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Confused Cool Laughing Razz Embarassed Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink

Pages: previous  1  2  3  4  next