https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

nitro 2019-01-08 21:41:36 

In reply to Yamfoot

Pros

Fast FAT loss
Easy to follow after 4-6 weeks
Motivated to work out as you are sure to see results

Cons
The first few weeks is hell. Best to try this out with a few weeks off from work, school etc.

Workouts feel like crap as Keto is not the best diet for lifting weights. The point is though you are seeking fat loss which is faster on this diet than on a high or even moderate carbs diet.

You are stuck with vodka and water, no beer when you need to socialize.

I dropped 20lbs of fat from April to December

Yamfoot 2019-01-08 22:11:11 

In reply to nitro

The thing whichis scaryis that I read about electrolytes, potassium and sodium to make sure your heart is ok.

I am thinking just to do low carb, no carbs after 6, carb cycling and of course exercise

nitro 2019-01-09 05:25:52 

In reply to Yamfoot

No, if you want your carbs i would suggest having your carbs two times for the day. You can have it after work out, pteferably glucose and have low GI carb such as sweet potato before bed. This will not make you fat, instead it will aid in you having good quality deep sleep. I did this in 2017 after following the advice of Nick Mitchell of UP Fitness.

nitro 2019-01-09 05:34:07 

In reply to Yamfoot

https://upfitness.com/en/article_posts/diet/nutrition/high-fat-keto-diet-secret-better-fat-loss

Yamfoot 2019-01-09 07:58:26 

In reply to nitro

Thanks. Will read and see. But experience has been that any carb after 6 adds to the pounds on the scale

VIX 2019-01-09 08:57:03 

In reply to Yamfoot
you've been in and out of many diets over the last few years. I said in another post that all diets work, but that only lifestyle change will keep the weight off. Keto isn't magic. It and others work because they restrict calories.

You can and will gain fat if you overeat while on keto. And you'll regain the weight lost on keto when the "diet" is over.

Find a sustainable way to comfortably restrict calories and you'll lose the weight and keep it off. And you'll also be done with the fad diets. Intermittent fasting works for me, something else might work for you.

pelon 2019-01-09 08:58:59 

The no diet, diet:

Cut out all sugar (and sugary foods), replace with honey if needed. Avoid bread. Exercise to burn calories (calculate your avg intake, burn accordingly), swimming being the best low impact exercise.

Yo-Yo effect.

You gain weight based on how your body metabolize foods. YOUR body is different to all others... and why many diets suffer from yo-yo effect.
a. Burning calories greater than intake will lose weight - but is not sustainable.
b. Eating less will not lose weight long term. Eating RIGHT will.

CHANGE your intake AND increase/adapt your caloric burning routine.

Lastly: do not attempt to lose weight quickly. ever.

RemainsUnknown 2019-01-09 09:02:52 

In reply to VIX

well said......

RemainsUnknown 2019-01-09 09:04:20 

In reply to pelon

well said......

nitro 2019-01-09 10:14:56 

In reply to Yamfoot

You need to track what you eat, especially if you are looking fat loss.
I use fitday.com and it has been very useful.

Go to ketogains.com to calculate how much you need to eat. They have a great calculator that shows you how much to eat on days you exercise and days you do not.

They also calculate how the amount of protein, carbs and fat to consume.

Avoid the temptation to have more than one cup of coffee on this diet. Coffee messes your chokesterol and BUM ratios.

black 2019-01-09 10:32:49 

You all need to give up the sedentary lifestyle. My weight never fluctuate more than 2 to 3 pounds and it has been the same for years. If I gain a few pounds during the holidays, it will go right back down to my natural weight in a few days.

Yamfoot 2019-01-09 10:47:01 

In reply to black

Lucky you wink

VIX 2019-01-09 10:50:26 

In reply to black

You all need to give up the sedentary lifestyle.

shock lol lol
sez the man who posts here every five minutes big grin

RemainsUnknown 2019-01-09 11:52:42 

In reply to Yamfoot

Lucky you wink
Don't take this the wrong way........ BUT, that's part of the problem with people who are constantly battling weight-gain problem.

They think it's pure "luck" for those of us who do not fluctuate more than 5 lbs.

As Black said..... and Vix.... make it a LIFESTYLE....... day in and day out......

the days that we do splurge... will not matter because there are MORE days where we eat right & exercise......

there is not LUCK in that...... all part of the LIFESTYLE plan.......

some days i walk 3K steps...... some days I walk 21K steps......
I park at the end of the parking lot. I take the stairs to meetings and even when I'm on vacation, I walk up the stairs to my room. run on the beach, swim everyday..... (that's when I'm on vacation)

Every little extra effort in exercising and every little bad food you cut back on, HELPS.

LIFESTYLE is the keyword....... many folks wait till it's too late and you have to cut out this and cut out that......

I cut back (not cut-out --cause I want to enjoy what I eat and what I drink) on sugar, carbs, bad fats, soda, etc more days than not.....

routinely: I eat my oatmeal at breakfast, fruits at mid-morning, my veggies & grilled chicken at lunch.. drink about a gallon of water a day... but I have a hearty dinner, curry & brown rice or roti, sometimes... often, I have more adult drinks than I should some wknds.....

but at the end of the DAY....... it's a LIFESTYLE you have to LIVE for 85%+ of the time....

I could easily make the excuse that I sit at my desk 8-9 hours a day and work on the computer that's why I'm fat..... but I prefer not to use that as an excuse.... and get off my ass and do something about it, EVERYDAY.

LUCK?........ that's when shit occurs by happenstance......
More like FORTUNATE.... results happen because you put yourself in that position.

black 2019-01-09 12:20:07 

In reply to VIX

sez the man who posts here every five minutes

That man just happened to be a fitness nut. lol

StumpCam 2019-01-09 13:10:18 

In reply to RemainsUnknown

Bhai , why don’t you tell them people you need to go on a diet to gain weight! razz

nick2020 2019-01-09 13:28:48 

In reply to Yamfoot

The power of a woman lol

Yammy listen to some honest advice.

Look all around you. There are people who still eat junk food and drink a beer occasionally. May never be going into a gym but may be getting exercise by going on hikes or swims or playing with their dogs in the park. Yet they have a body composition that we would deem healthy.

The point really is these diet are not the solution. Not for your long term health anyway. It takes years for us to become unhealthy and even longer for us to undo it.

Step 1 - Be happy with who you are.
Step 2 - Be healthy.

In time your body will return to being at its best.

Yamfoot 2019-01-09 17:35:35 

In reply to nick2020

I got Step 2 on lock. Never had high blood pressure, glucose or high cholesterol.

Step 1......happy with my personality, never with my body, even when I was 50 lbs lighter than I am now. I have always considered myself obese (and the BmI indx agrees). I guess it is all in the mind.

Any shrinks on here?

Narper 2019-01-09 17:38:49 

In reply to Yamfoot

Give up wheat COMPLETELY. (Read Wheat Belly, Book by Dr. William Davis)

You can eat everything else in moderation.

You can eat generous amounts of some low glycemic index foods to remain feeling full and energetic.

Chrissy 2019-01-09 17:50:33 

In reply to Yamfoot

I don't do diets. I don't eat red meat but I eat anything I want in moderation and I am very disciplined that way.
Diets do not work. I also walk 20K a week and exercise for at least three hours as well.

Yamfoot 2019-01-09 21:41:36 

In reply to Chrissy

Awesome routine

Yamfoot 2019-01-09 21:44:01 

In reply to VIX

Finding healthy fats in the quantity recommended seems impossible. Beef is not something I eat.....neither bacon, hamburger etc. 75% of calories from fat seems excessive

Yamfoot 2019-01-09 21:46:01 

In reply to VIX

The sustainable way to restrict calories is the problem. I love food......but it is healthy food.....just in tooo. Much quantity.

Yamfoot 2019-01-09 21:49:59 

In reply to pelon

Thanks for the science.

I like the no-diet diet. I just need to change my mindset and how I.view food.

I like freedom so a restrictive diet would not work forme.

I also eat because I am bored. Gotta find some non-work activity totake my mindoff food.

Yamfoot 2019-01-09 21:51:31 

In reply to nitro

Thanks forthat suggestion, i have used fitday and myfitnesspal.

It is shocking when you track and see how many carbgramsare eaten somedays

Yamfoot 2019-01-09 21:52:02 

In reply to black

I am not sedentary. I exercise.

Yamfoot 2019-01-09 21:56:03 

Did you know that the number of fat cells you’re going to end upwith in life, is determined during your youth?
I was therefore atadisadvantage cause I ate a lot of carbs as a kid. Hardoigh bread, ice creM etc.

So not all bodiesmetabolize foods the same way. My sister will nyama huge plate of rice for days with little effect.....and shenever used to exercise and had a desk job. Luck! Fortune!

nick2020 2019-01-09 22:44:22 

In reply to Yamfoot

I also eat because I am bored.

My guess would be you eat when you are bored because you are compelled to eat and you lack a distraction from eating when you are bored.

I was therefore atadisadvantage cause I ate a lot of carbs as a kid. Hardoigh bread, ice creM etc.

Think it is as simple as this? Kids in general are carb consuming garbage disposals. Were you very active as a kid?

My sister will nyama huge plate of rice for days with little effect.....and shenever used to exercise and had a desk job. Luck! Fortune!

Did you two have similar body types during your childhood or was she slimmer than you?
Everything you do wrong catches up with you in the end.

You know there are garment factory workers in other parts of the world who eat a bowl of rice and a coke as sustenance and they are skin and bones (and unfortunately malnourished).

Yamfoot 2019-01-09 23:48:02 

In reply to nick2020

Yes need distraction.

No, was no active as a kid. Only extracurricular activity was piano lessons for 15 years, though I did dancing for 1.5 years. I started to go to a gym when I was about 17. 300 situps at the army gym. Brutal and old school.

nick2020 2019-01-10 00:40:12 

In reply to Yamfoot

Ultimately you need to address the root problem because realistically you won't be able to occupy yourself all the time with distractions.

I make the same excuses with my addictions. I understand.

openning 2019-01-10 00:47:29 

In reply to nick2020

How can allyuh help a 139 lbs man after over 60 years, gain some weight.
I still need to be in shape, able to dance, with the recommendations.

Yamfoot 2019-01-10 01:01:22 

In reply to nick2020

Thankssss

Yamfoot 2019-01-10 01:01:53 

In reply to openning

Take some of my weight!!!

openning 2019-01-10 01:54:28 

In reply to Yamfoot

My daughter tease me all the time, her uncle and I, when he was alive, could wear the same clothes.
We ate the same, live similar lives, but my older and younger brothers are bigger than us.
I never had a sweet tooth, had a problem with alcohol which I addressed, now my Blood pressure is good..
Pelon, is someone to listen to, calorie intake is something that should be address.
BTW, I understand it, when ever I go to something West Indian, people always talk about what's on my plate
I've worked around food, all my working life, and in the last 10 years, Salads and a protein is my go to, at lunch.

VIX 2019-01-10 08:07:46 

In reply to Yamfoot

The sustainable way to restrict calories is the problem. I love food......but it is healthy food.....just in tooo. Much quantity.

Well there you have it.
Sorry to be blunt but no diet will work for you.

You have to change your mindset, change your relationship with food. It's a personal thing which only you can fix.

pelon 2019-01-10 09:03:15 

In reply to VIX

Exactly right.

Chrissy 2019-01-10 09:50:34 

In reply to pelon

Replace bread with breadfruit, green plantain. or sweet potato. I love bread as in whole wheat but only eat it about once a week.

Just returned from my walk and exercise so I will have me a large late breakfast - usually some form of seafood or veg as in cabbage/callaloo/string beans or pak choy with dem fine Guyanese salt shrimp, saltfish or even smoked chicken along with breadfruit or green plantain, fruit juice made by me, coffee and a glass of water at the end.
Before I walk I have a banana and coffee. I never put anything sweet in coffee - that is sacrilege.
Around 1.00pm, I have home made broth - chicken, fish or celery which I make and freeze once a week. Somewhere between 2.30 and 4.00pm I have a full meal. Between 6.00 and 7.00 something sweet (I bake and freeze so something is always there). I'll even eat a piece of chocolate or ice cream. Sometimes I eat nuts or fruit later.
After my main meal I only drink water.
Adjustments are made for dining out, entertaining, etc.
I occasionally drink beer or wine.
My approach works for me.

pelon 2019-01-10 10:05:18 

In reply to Chrissy

My approach works for me.

Your pragmatic approach not just in diet, but life... has... and will always "work". Many are "searching" for what works (see thread) when the answer is behavioral and personal adjustment, not diet fad.

People complicate life with to many bandages to problems, when the solution is to eliminate or attack the problem at the source.

Year after year we get threads of: Have you tried THIS diet.... mostly from the same persons.

Happy New Year strong and independent sis. Stay amazing.

nitro 2019-01-10 11:18:26 

In reply to Yamfoot

Do you want to look normal, average or exceptional?

Keto is a lifestyle, not just a diet to lose weight.

sgtdjones 2019-01-10 11:20:48 

This is my guide I follow....

A calorie is simply a measurement of energy — the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a gram of water by 1 degree Celsius, according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information

To determine how many calories you need in a day. For a man, compute (9.99 x your weight in kilograms) + (6.25 x height in centimeters) - (4.92 x your age in years) + 5.

For a woman, compute (9.99 x your weight in kilograms) + (6.25 x your height in centimeters) - (4.92 x your age in years) - 161.

Based on the average weight of a 155-pound person, the research estimates you'll burn approximately 102 calories for each hour you sit at your desk

A person who weighs 125 pounds burns approximately 38 calories per hour sleeping

Sedentary adult women between the ages of 36 to 50 should consume roughly 1,800 calories per day to offset all the calories their bodies burn just carrying out normal functions.

Once you have an estimate of how many calories you burn in a day, you can then project how much you should eat to either maintain, lose, or gain weight.

black 2019-01-10 11:21:26 

In reply to nitro

Do you want to look normal, average or exceptional?

Who are you? Doctor Oz? lol

RemainsUnknown 2019-01-10 11:24:22 

In reply to Yamfoot

Did you know that the number of fat cells you’re going to end upwith in life, is determined during your youth?

So not all bodiesmetabolize foods the same way. My sister will nyama huge plate of rice for days with little effect.....and shenever used to exercise and had a desk job. Luck! Fortune!
I did not know that... re: fat cells, if true.

Btw, my best to you on your eat right, good health, and exercise path.

RemainsUnknown 2019-01-10 11:36:19 

In reply to openning

I never had a sweet tooth
Same here, fortunately. Nor, am I a foodie. I don't care for desserts, but I'll have an extra shot of single malt scotch. lol I pick my battles when it comes to "extra calories consumed." It's either one or the other (food or drink), almost never, both.

I have chocolate, candies, chips... name it, at my desk and a lot times, by the time I check and feel like to eat them... I have to throw out because they expired.

I know it's wasteful.... but, oh well...... I rather not eat expired food. I hoard them just in case... cool cool cool

pelon 2019-01-10 12:10:32 

In reply to RemainsUnknown & dodoYammy

Look, the number of fat cells may not increase after puberty (typical adult, with exceptions), BUT fat STORAGE can and does fluctuate. Don't think that 10000000^10 fat cells means you can't adjust the AMOUNT of fat stored in them. YOU can.

Each cell can store varying amounts of fat, cells (yes fat cells) can get bigger or smaller.

black 2019-01-10 12:24:54 

Some people are at a disadvantage (to gain weight) because of thyroid conditions but, knowing that, they should adjust their diets, accordingly.

Chrissy 2019-01-10 12:38:17 

In reply to pelon

100% correct - life is simple - eat more fruit and veg, less carbs and exercise. Friends marvel that I always clean my plate - close friends know I never overfill it and choose wisely even when a feast is available.
Good food and plenty of it never frightened me.

By the way two persons influenced my cooking and baking - the cooking was my favourite aunt, Veda and the baking was OBs grandma, Aunt Eggie. Dat lady could bake yuh see.

Have a great year bro.
lol

Chrissy 2019-01-10 12:41:40 

In reply to Yamfoot

If you eat when bored, eat fruits or nuts.

Chrissy 2019-01-10 12:45:36 

Very well said - it is lifestyle

black 2019-01-10 12:51:04 

In reply to Yamfoot

Like sgtjones said, it may be as simple as determining your caloric needs and try not to exceed it. Anything over what your body needs, get turned into fat. It's not easy but you can do it.

Also, become fanatical about exercise. It's a fact of life, people that are prone to be overweight have to work much harder.

black 2019-01-10 13:17:23 

In reply to Yamfoot

Like I said before, ditch the personal trainer and start working out on your own. Lots of information available on YouTube.

Yamfoot 2019-01-10 13:47:28 

In reply to pelon

shock

RemainsUnknown 2019-01-10 13:49:07 

In reply to Chrissy

Very well said - it is lifestyle
Thank you.

Yamfoot 2019-01-10 13:49:45 

In reply to nitro

I want a flat stomach, perky butt and to fit into a size 12 pants and size 10 top. Right now I wear size 16 jeans
And size 14 top.

pelon 2019-01-10 13:49:59 

In reply to Yamfoot

Dodo dear, what has your eyes so wide open???

I want a flat stomach, perky butt and to fit into a size 12 pants and size 10 top.

"Personal dreams/goals show be set as high as possible, yet confined to the perimeters of possibility." - pelon 2019

Chrissy 2019-01-10 13:51:26 

In reply to black
I don't think fanaticism works.
Maybe I'm lucky that dad made exercise part of our lives early in the morning but you have to treat it as a part of your routine. You have to like it and enjoy it.

Yamfoot 2019-01-10 14:00:26 

In reply to pelon

I think I reaf that they store liquid when u have lost weight?

Let's go walking....up Market Hill....when next ur on Grenada big grin

Yamfoot 2019-01-10 14:01:38 

In reply to black

I do the TSH test and am always in the healthy range so mi cyant use dat as an excuse

Yamfoot 2019-01-10 14:03:09 

In reply to Chrissy

I do....just too many cashews.

Yamfoot 2019-01-10 14:06:16 

In reply to pelon

Mi dont understand what you mean?

I should aim for a size 10 pants? I am tall...so that is too skinny for me.

Anyway, please to explain what you mean.

black 2019-01-10 14:06:26 

In reply to Chrissy

That may be too strong a word but you know what I mean.

Look, too many people are looking for quick results, stick with it, be patient and the results will come. When I started, I was consistent, didn't notice anything until people started tell me how muscular I was becoming. When you start to see gains, it will motivate you to keep going.

It's a gradual process.

Yamfoot 2019-01-10 14:07:44 

In reply to Chrissy

Fortunately, I love to work out. My joints and muscles....and the physiotherapist, are telling me that I need to swim. So that is the plan in 2019.

pelon 2019-01-10 14:12:09 

In reply to Yamfoot

Let's go walking....up Market Hill....when next ur on Grenada

YIPPPPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! FINALLLLYYY!!!!

I very much like walking early morning, or late evening. Though never a beggar or chooser - I will walk with you anytime....

on a serious note: swimming is where the body gets to exercise with little impact to the joints. As we age, this becomes important.

Chrissy 2019-01-10 14:15:04 

In reply to Yamfoot

Swimming is great. I think I'll be adding that this year.
I used to swim a mile two daya a week back in the day and then Hellshire on Saturdays lol

nitro 2019-01-11 18:37:23 

In reply to Yamfoot

https://www.ruled.me/comprehensive-guide-vegan-ketogenic-diet/

Yamfoot 2019-01-11 22:02:04 

In reply to nitro

Ok. Thankssss

Yamfoot 2019-01-11 22:27:01 

In reply to nitro

Very informative. Tks again.

Headley 2019-01-12 08:19:27 

In reply to Chrissy

I don't do diets. I don't eat red meat but I eat anything I want in moderation and I am very disciplined that way.
Diets do not work. I also walk 20K a week and exercise for at least three hours as well.

Just saw your post. It is remarkably similar to my routine.

I would add that walking is best done with others for motivational reasons. Walking with your significant other from time to time has all kinds of benefits for the relationship.

Yamfoot calls it awesome but most of us come from working class grandparents who maintained a variation of this routine for financial and other reasons.

black 2019-01-12 08:39:32 

We all have preferences as far as exercises are concerned, but the bottom line is, we have to stay active.

As far as diet is concerned, I am not as rigid in what I eat but I am mindful of what I eat.

nitro 2019-01-12 11:14:37 

In reply to Yamfoot

You are welcome.

VIX 2019-01-12 13:49:05 

In reply to Yamfoot

you're addicted to food. diets ent going to work

Kay 2019-01-12 15:20:13 

Stop salivating at every food tray that pass by and get an exercise routine going and stick to it. Not simple but it works...

nitro 2019-01-12 17:42:53 

In reply to VIX

It will work if you make it a life style and not a temporary fix.

Eating low carb should not be temporary, unless you are an athlete you do not need a lot of carbs.

Yamfoot 2019-01-14 22:56:50 

In reply to VIX

I wouldn’t go as far as to use the word “addicted”
I’d say that food is a central part of my days

Yamfoot 2019-01-14 22:57:21 

In reply to Kay

I exercise regularly.

VIX 2019-01-15 08:24:27 

In reply to Yamfoot

I’d say that food is a central part of my days

You've been posting about various fad diets for over a decade. No diet will work for you. You eat too much.

You have to change your mindset, change your relationship with food. It's a personal thing which only you can fix.

Diets will not work for you. None. You'll just revert to you toxic relationship with food once the diet is over.

For a start, How about permanently replacing most (not all) of your starchy foods with vegetables and cutting out all added sugars and most added fats from your diet?

VIX 2019-01-15 08:26:12 

In reply to Yamfoot

I exercise regularly.

Exercise plays only a minute part in weight loss.

And unfortunately some folk use exercise as an excuse to eat even more-
I work out duh, I'll burn off these humongous servings of food in 5 minutes, pass another plate!!
I'll exercise it off tomorrow with my situps and cardio. rolleyes

black 2019-01-16 10:36:00 

In reply to Yamfoot

I am afraid you're going to be battling obesity all your life, people that are obese (some exceptions) tend to stay obese.

By the way, being a little obese is not necessarily a sign of poor health. There are people that are moderately obese that are perfectly healthy.

Yamfoot 2019-02-13 22:14:43 

In reply to VIX

How (not) encouraging. Did you read it before you pressed ‘enter’?
Geez....where is the love?

Yamfoot 2019-02-13 22:16:07 

In reply to black

And I would be one of those, neverhad high blood pressure, high glucose or high cholesterol.

Yamfoot 2019-02-13 22:30:08 

And just in case y’all thinking I am mampie sized, look here

And here

More recent

Last Christmas

Yamfoot 2019-02-13 22:31:34 

Is this archived?

VIX 2019-02-15 06:09:50 

In reply to Yamfoot

Tough love smile