The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Part of the problem with race progress...

pelon 2019-01-11 09:51:52 

Is when the oppressed are programmed to respond with empathy when they see (not so) subliminal signs of hate.

For Review:
This weatherman Jeremy Kappell that said ON AIR: "coon" - finds support from black media.

From the mouth of Don Lemon comes misguided empathy:

"I thought that your apology was sincere. That's my opinion. And I don't understand why you were fired. We make mistakes."

From the mouth of Al Roker:
"I think Jeremy Kappell made an unfortunate flub and should be given the chance to apologize on @news10nbc Anyone who has done live tv and screwed up (google any number of ones I've done) understands"

Folks, "coon" between "Martin Luther" and King is no flub.

It is a reflection of DEEP rooted subconscious hate and bigotry that permeates the most "genuine" of white America. SO DEEP is this rascism in the pyshce of society that "otherwise decent" people that would "never say such things" are finding themselves speaking their racist minds OPENLY in the media.

That a few black journalist throw their support behind this "flub" shows how far removed from the struggle many remain.

pelon 2019-01-11 09:53:17 

(yes I know another thread exisit on same)
My position here is holding yourself accountable AGAINST signs of racism, not empathizing with it.

Tryangle 2019-01-11 09:56:26 

In reply to pelon

I would agree, and for Lemon to say "I don't understand why you were fired" suggests he doesn't understand accountability in situations like this. Maybe he disagrees with the firing but for him to not understand that firing was a possibility, seems quite weird.

carl0002 2019-01-11 10:10:29 

Is this the same guy Lemon who want to execute Kevin Hart for stuff he said 50 years ago?

Emir 2019-01-11 10:45:05 

In reply to pelon

Forgiveness is in our DNA so perhaps Al and Don are programmed to forgive and I see nothing wrong with this. To forgive is to be empowered.

Not lets dig deeper, I read accounts of other reporters regarding a slip of the tongue on live TV. It is very common and when one examine the words more, there is no conclusive evidence to suggest it was a deliberate word.

To err on the side of caution is best for situations like these and moreover, our people are a forgiving people.

SnoopDog 2019-01-11 10:52:18 

In reply to Mulla bin Emir

To err on the side of caution is best for situations like these and moreover, our people are a forgiving people.

But Mulla, you're an "Indo" Tittie. Remember? lol

pelon 2019-01-11 10:55:43 

In reply to Emir

Don't misconstrue self-perpetuation with forgiveness.

everything you said above is true, valid and appropriate - but is not to be universally applied. They are times when utterances such as this "coon King" matter appear - that NO black man should find himself sugar coating the problem.

Lemon and Roker are missing an opportunity to illuminate the subconscious infiltration of racism by "forgiving".

there is no conclusive evidence to suggest it was a deliberate word.
Have you seen the video? It is his subconscious that spoke. I promise you he did not mean to actually say it on air. Why would you think pelon feels it was deliberate???

At your stage of experience, you should know that individual honesty lies at the level of the subconscious. For years his polished outward disposition repressed his subconscious' preexistence. You don't be fooled dear brother.

SnoopDog 2019-01-11 11:06:23 

In reply to pelon

individual honesty lies at the level of the subconscious. For years his polished outward disposition repressed his subconscious' preexistence.

Thank you Dr. Freud. lol

Emir 2019-01-11 11:59:17 

In reply to pelon

I do not disagree with your points which is well stated and as usual I respect your informed opinion.

black 2019-01-11 12:12:01 

In reply to pelon

The problem here is, these guys use racial slurs a lot, when Black people are not around that he simply forgot that he was not in a place where it was acceptable.

This is not new, many white people have two faces, one in public and one in private. This guy simply forgot which face to wear on this occasion.

Emir 2019-01-11 15:00:31 

In reply to black

these guys use racial slurs a lot

True, and these same guys your support and you have no problem with them when they use racial slurs against Muslims and in fact you join in using the T word to refer to all Muslims and you equate all Muslims and Islam with the T word.

So you can go ahead and keep your sympathies to yourself, we will struggle on our own for justice.

If you going to join the bandwagon against racism you have to be all in, not picking and choosing which you like and don't like, racism is racism, we draw no distinction. rolleyes

SnoopDog 2019-01-11 15:20:40 

In reply to Mulla bin Emir

True, and these same guys your support and you have no problem with them when they use racial slurs against Muslims and in fact you join in using the T word to refer to all Muslims and you equate all Muslims and Islam with the T word.

So you can go ahead and keep your sympathies to yourself, we will struggle on our own for justice.

If you going to join the bandwagon against racism you have to be all in, not picking and choosing which you like and don't like, racism is racism, we draw no distinction.

Islam is a religion, not a race you nitwit.

And all free thinking rational people should mercilessly question, mock, and ridicule anything which is preposterous enough to claim it has all the answers to all the questions and mysteries of life and the universe because a magical imaginary sky daddy talked to an illiterate merchant warlord in the middle of the Arabian desert who was nonetheless able to remember it verbatim so it could be written down. Piss off.

Casper 2019-01-11 15:23:17 

In reply to pelon

(yes I know another thread exisit on same)
My position here is holding yourself accountable AGAINST signs of racism, not empathizing with it.

Thanks for you contribution to this issue. I concur with your sentiments. As I stated in my thread “The mouth speaks for the heart is full of”

nick2020 2019-01-11 15:37:44 

In reply to pelon

I wonder how one gets to the word coon period.

But pelon are you suggesting that there is no place for forgiveness when it comes to racial progress?
I believe that is what worked for Mandela.

black 2019-01-11 15:59:17 

In reply to Emir

If you going to join the bandwagon against racism you have to be all in, not picking and choosing which you like and don't like, racism is racism, we draw no distinction.

You are senile.  

black 2019-01-11 16:04:43 

In reply to nick2020

I wonder how one gets to the word coon period.

You are naive.  

Coon, is a commonly used racial slur. He says it all the time in private but it slipped this time, in public.

Got it?

pelon 2019-01-11 17:16:56 

In reply to nick2020

But pelon are you suggesting that there is no place for forgiveness when it comes to racial progress?

I am not suggesting that, nor do I understand your radical leap from my statement to Mandela's national period of atonement and reconciliation.

A weatherman utters "coon King" on air and we have established black journalist saying "give him a chance". Wait for the day a black journalist calls out .... stupse

Jemele Hill had to leave ESPN just last year....

I gone.

nick2020 2019-01-12 10:28:08 

In reply to black

And you lack comprehension.
No one over a certain age uses coon by accident. That is obvious, captain.

nick2020 2019-01-12 10:40:06 

In reply to pelon

Jemele Hill had to leave ESPN just last year....

She is a race baiter who made more than a few unfortunate statements.

I am not suggesting that

Part of the problem with race progress...
Is when the oppressed are programmed to respond with empathy when they see (not so) subliminal signs of hate.

You are saying Don Lemon and Al Roker are programmed to respond with empathy in the face of racial hate.

The weatherman used a racist word. He apologized. You bring up this topic. I guess I misunderstood.

It is a reflection of DEEP rooted subconscious hate and bigotry that permeates the most "genuine" of white America.

I agree. But you ever hear some old school black people discuss whites? Man it is some deep rooted hate. I guess one would argue it is "justified" hate. Whatever that means.

Racism. Can't wait until it goes away. Unfortunately I won't live that long. sad

Headley 2019-01-12 11:05:51 

In reply to pelon

...the oppressed are programmed to respond with empathy when they see (not so) subliminal signs of hate.

Yes the oppressed are programmed. It is going to take a long time to recognise the programming and maybe longer to remove it.

Thank you for raising the issue. I know it took me some time to see the role Christianity plays in the programming.

Curtis 2019-01-12 12:33:20 

Don't see the fuss, I have mixed up those two words many times.

One time I referred to Lebron as Coon James.

Another time it was Coon of Pop,Michael Jackson.

Alyuh get the picture?

Don Lemon is partial to gay causes and that cause has overtaken the racial struggle as a higher priority fight. Probably why he came down hard on Kevin Hart.