The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Lewis, Riley clash over Pybus appointment

sgtdjones 2019-01-11 11:08:05 

Lewis, Riley clash over Pybus appointment

BRIDGETOWN, Bar­ba­dos – Crick­et West In­dies di­rec­tors, Enoch Lewis and Conde Ri­ley, have sparred pub­licly over the re­cent choice of Richard Py­bus for se­nior men’s head coach, fur­ther in­creas­ing the ran­cour sur­round­ing the Eng­lish­man’s ap­point­ment less than two weeks be­fore the open­ing Test against Eng­land.

Lewis has been high­ly crit­i­cal of Py­bus’s se­lec­tion and wrote to CWI last month lam­bast­ing the way the se­lec­tion process was car­ried out, while al­so ac­cus­ing pres­i­dent Dave Cameron of “hand-pick­ing” Py­bus for the job.

How­ev­er, Ri­ley, the Bar­ba­dos Crick­et As­so­ci­a­tion pres­i­dent, de­fend­ed Py­bus’s ap­point­ment, rub­bish­ing Lewis’s claims and con­tend­ing that CWI board had sanc­tioned the move.

“On the ninth of De­cem­ber, this whole mat­ter was ven­ti­lat­ed [at a board meet­ing in Trinidad]. It was put to the vote,” Ri­ley said dur­ing a stormy ex­change with Lewis on the pop­u­lar crick­et ra­dio show, Ma­son and Guest, broad­cast on the Star­com Net­work here.

“I do not know what more due process should be fol­lowed when a full board, in­clud­ing the 12 di­rec­tors from the six ter­ri­to­ries – along with the two in­de­pen­dent di­rec­tors – vot­ed. The pres­i­dent had one vote.”

He con­tin­ued: “The Board ven­ti­lat­ed a whole thing as to who should be the in­ter­im coach. There was a vote; the vote was 12-4, and that was how Mr Py­bus be­came the in­ter­im coach."

Link Text

sgtdjones 2019-01-11 11:10:08 

Comments

Mud Forbes

For some strange reason, Bajan hegemony - which was one a cause for pride in Caribbean cricket - seems destined to see us collapse to rock bottom in world cricket. Perhaps Mr Cameron could be granted honorary Barbadian citizenship to facilitate this objective!

openning 2019-01-11 12:09:01 

In reply to sgtdjones

You are going to be late for your own funeral.
This topic was discussed in real time, Chrissy was part of the panel last Tuesday, hitting the VP hard.

sgtdjones 2019-01-11 12:37:52 

In reply to openning

Not every one listens to Mason and Guest

lol lol lol

natty_forever 2019-01-11 12:43:14 

In reply to openning

You are going to be late for your own funeral.
… and that's a bad thing?

sgtdjones 2019-01-11 12:46:54 

In reply to natty_forever

Doh worry its cold in Calgary

he rass frozen!!

razz razz

Walco 2019-01-11 14:39:18 

In reply to sgtdjones

Riley has been carrying water for Cameron for several years now. I find it interesting that the Leewards board is leveling these charges because Pybus lived in Antigua when he was director of cricket and presumably lives there now because of the job he held with CWI before the last coach resigned. The Leewards folks know Tricky Dick well ....