The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Info on the Yo Yo test fitness standard

Larr Pullo 2019-01-13 09:48:44 

FYI the mark is 40.

Dear Franchise CEO’s and Coaches,

Further to the email below which was circulated on December 6th, the CWI Board of Directors, at their quarterly meeting on December 9th, agreed to implement the following new policy on eligibility:

“For a player to be eligible for selection for the 2019 Cricket World Cup he must have attained level 40 on the Yoyo test by March 31st 2019. The Board has reserved the right to review the eligibility of any player failing to achieve the required fitness eligibility standard outlined by CWI.”

Please ensure this is communicated to all players in your territory, including those at the U19 level.

Best regards

Jimmy Adams

Director of Cricket
Cricket West Indies (CWI)

Larr Pullo 2019-01-13 09:49:11 

Thanks for the info sent by friend of a friend..smile

Dukes 2019-01-13 10:35:18 

In reply to Larr Pullo

When Jimbo scores 40 on this test I will eat my hat and start training for the NYC marathon!!!!!

Larr Pullo 2019-01-13 10:41:20 

In reply to Dukes

When you complete the NYC Marathon, I will eat my hat. lol

Judgement 2019-01-13 10:45:08 

Also thanking the friend of a friend smile smile

Re: Fitness Targets 2018/2019

Excerpt 1
Starting last year there has been a thrust to significantly improve our fitness levels at both regional and international levels. We have seen some improvement in this end and will continue to place emphasis on this area as it is scientifically proven that physical fitness plays an integral role in being able consistently perform at an elite level.

Excerpt 2
As instituted last contract year, whenever you complete your fitness testing, you will receive individualised and personal targets to be achieved by the next scheduled testing date. Should you fail to achieve the targets communicated to you by the relevant date, the following action maybe taken at the discretion of CWI, acting reasonably and taking into account, all relevant circumstances:

Excerpt 3
-Unless otherwise notified, no fines will be administered to a player who attains or surpasses level 50 on the YoYo.

I could post the full excerpt but for obvious reasons, I won't smile

Larr Pullo 2019-01-13 10:46:59 

In reply to Judgement

My policy supersedes your policy. smile

Larr Pullo 2019-01-13 10:48:13 

In reply to Judgement

Excerpt 2
As instituted last contract year, whenever you complete your fitness testing, you will receive individualised and personal targets to be achieved by the next scheduled testing date. Should you fail to achieve the targets communicated to you by the relevant date, the following action maybe taken at the discretion of CWI, acting reasonably and taking into account, all relevant circumstances:

So I will ask, but you don't have to answer: Did Cornwall run afoul of Excerpt two?

Judgement 2019-01-13 10:52:58 

In reply to Larr Pullo

My policy supersedes your policy.

It does? How do you know that when i didn't state the date of the excerpts? smile

And particularly when player's have individual targets to meet on top of the minimum? smile

By the way - the 40 requirement on the yo-yo is the minimum for World Cup selection specifically smile

Larr Pullo 2019-01-13 10:54:09 

yoyo test being administered

Judgement 2019-01-13 10:54:41 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Did Cornwall run afoul of Excerpt two?

If he did (and i cannot speak for him), he wouldn't be the only one and that is the point here smile And, the excerpt does specifically state:

acting reasonably and taking into account, all relevant circumstances

In other words, that is a clause for CWI to basically pick players who fail the yo-yo but who they want to pick anyway (just not Jimbo).

Larr Pullo 2019-01-13 10:55:08 

In reply to Judgement

How did the player(s) do on their individual targets?

Judgement 2019-01-13 10:55:42 

In reply to Larr Pullo

How did the player(s) do on their individual targets?

Your friend can tell you i'm sure lol lol lol

Larr Pullo 2019-01-13 10:55:56 

In reply to Judgement

Then it comes down to individual targets and how far outside of these said player(s) were.

Judgement 2019-01-13 10:57:40 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Then it comes down to individual targets and how far outside of these said player(s) were.

Including the players that do not even DO the yo-yo but get selected?

Judgement 2019-01-13 10:59:19 

In reply to Larr Pullo

yoyo test being administered

That link is from almost 5 years ago. Technology, standards and expectations have well and truly advanced since.

Larr Pullo 2019-01-13 10:59:44 

In reply to Judgement

Including the players that do not even DO the yo-yo but get selected?

I personally, wouldn't pick those players. Because it opens up the argument of discrimination, but you know how WI cricket go.

Larr Pullo 2019-01-13 11:00:27 

In reply to Judgement

It's a girls college soccer team...it's way more rigorous for pro athletes. I posted because it's a long clip that gives an idea of the requirements of the test, and how it is administered.

Judgement 2019-01-13 11:02:25 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Exactly! Why even implement a policy to keep some players out but not others.

Judgement 2019-01-13 11:03:26 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Lol i know how the yo-yo works but thanks smile

Larr Pullo 2019-01-13 11:07:16 

In reply to Judgement

If they're letting in new players then it's a problem. If they're letting in a veteran player with a good record, then maybe some argument could be made. However again, I would want all my players to reach a certain level of fitness to send a message.

Larr Pullo 2019-01-13 11:07:46 

In reply to Judgement

Obviously it's not just for you but for others who don't... lol lol

Judgement 2019-01-13 11:14:07 

In reply to Larr Pullo

CWI implement the policy so it also leaves CWI open to legal ramifications because it can be challenged in so many ways. Even veteran players get dropped based on performance so why shouldn't they pass fitness tests the same as everyone else?

Australian and England players are certainly not allowed a free pass despite who they are within their cricket hierarchy so CWI can't use it as an excuse to keep certain players out - but they do.

XDFIX 2019-01-13 11:49:02 

In reply to Judgement

If one is a professional and can't pass the yo-yo test, one's commitment to his or her sports professional career must be questioned.

These guys have been playing cricket from the primary level and up

Moreover, many of them on a retainer contract and can't pass the yo-yo test, that's incredible!

Star 2019-01-13 13:23:52 

In reply to XDFIX

If one is a professional and can't pass the yo-yo test, one's commitment to his or her sports professional career must be questioned.

That is a very broad statement.

Here are the guys who cannot pass the yo-yo test.

Gayle, Cornwall, Gabriel.

Larr Pullo 2019-01-13 14:22:47 

In reply to Star

Gabriel is heavy footed, but he is a fast bowler who seems to be able to get through his spells. Gayle is old, and well Cornwall, of the three he is the only one who doesn’t have a body of work to recommend him. So would you guys still pick him?

Star 2019-01-13 16:22:05 

In reply to Larr Pullo
Cornwall. yes.

Definitely should be included in the team.

Judgement 2019-01-14 01:02:19 

In reply to Star

Gayle is one of those that does not DO the yo-yo so obviously he won't pass smile smile

Judgement 2019-01-14 01:09:14 

In reply to XDFIX

I agree with you to an extent and actually used to be an advocate for this myself. But the system is so flawed where the CWI policies are concerned that they simply cannot pick some people and not others and bend the rules when it suits them because that borders on discrimination. These are the issues the media need to press the Worst Cricket Board on.

Yes, Cornwall has a huge (pun intended) weight issue. But he has also performed exceptionally at regional and A team level for West Indies over and over again. So from a legal and policy perspective, how can they pick others who are not meeting the 50 on the yo-yo (or not even doing the yo-yo at all) yet not giving the big guy a chance if some of these contracted players, aside from Cornwall, are also struggling to pass the CWI fitness tests. CWI are like some corrupt Nigerian Government, that's why. Self interest and zero progress.

Larr Pullo 2019-01-14 02:31:56 

In reply to Judgement

The yoyo standard is 40 not 50. Secondly the rules are being bent for a player who has a long and distinguished career at the top level and is not a rookie. Surely you're not trying to compare Gayle with Cornwallis?

Judgement 2019-01-14 04:39:37 

In reply to Larr Pullo

The yo-yo test is 50. The 40 is for WORLD CUP SELECTION ONLY. Stop spreading erroneous information and check your facts slowly and carefully. And a policy is a policy. Otherwise why have it in place? You would be ok with breach of policy in your workplace? And are you sure you know when Gayle did his last yo-yo, if ever? And how do you know Gayle is the only player they don't bend the rules for? If this wasn't a message board, i would prove you wrong on that front too smile smile

Secondly the rules are being bent for a player who has a long and distinguished career at the top level and is not a rookie

And your above statement is the difference between well structured teams and West Indies Cricket - below are winning teams who insist on universal fitness policies for all their players, including their stars:

Cooky just kept running, he never looked tired. He’s an absolute machine.

Stuart Broad has been an England player for a decade, but still finds it “a nerve-wracking day because you know you have to achieve certain numbers”

Link Text

Skipper Virat Kohli and coach Ravi Shastri have been adamant that unless a player passes the test he cannot be part of the national squad

Link Text

Larr Pullo 2019-01-14 07:18:51 

In reply to Judgement

As I stated earlier, "I" would make no exceptions. That's why I can't support an argument for Cornwallis. However, I can understand an exception being made for Gayle, and since this is probably his last hurrah as a player for the WI I guess we can shrug our collective shoulders. However, why would we want to move forward breaking our fitness policy? If we allow Cornwallis to slide by, you know some other player will come along and expect the same accommodation, just like you guys are using Gayle to allow Cornwall in.

Larr Pullo 2019-01-14 07:24:03 

In reply to Judgement

I also wanted to point this out to you...from the same England fitness day article.

“All players establish their own goals [with ECB back-room staff]. James Anderson’s programme will be different to Jason Roy’s. It’s important that we have athletes for cricket, not just athletes.”

Now if Cornwallis had his own goal targets; the question becomes, did he make it?