The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Was it crickets all the time?

trev114 2019-01-13 12:44:04 

The Cuban cricket crisis is the latest in a long history of human-animal misunderstandings.

Norm 2019-01-14 22:37:43 

Indies crickets keeping diplomats awake at nights in Cuba? West Indies cricket keeps us awake all night too!

Nothing beats crapauds making noise at nightfall in some Caribbean countries. When they are accompanied by insects of all sorts, except mosquitoes, it becomes a beautiful symphony.

Casper 2019-01-14 23:25:15 

In reply to trev114

This is some serious stuff. Even that recording, if I were to listen to for more than a few seconds would drive me crazy.

I shut off the recording after less than 3 seconds. I can’t imagine having to listen to it longer than that on a regular basis, having heard it.

Now, if this is probable answer to the kind of illnesses suffered by Canadian diplomats in Cuba, what explains similar sonic attacks in China?

Come to think of it, given the damage these attacks caused to Canadian diplomats in Cuba and, now in China, why can’t a rival government record and reproduce those sounds to attack their “enemies“?

This could form part of a new battle field attack if harnessed. But all of this begs one important question, which is what about the impact on local Cubans.

Are they immuned from the same effects, or have their hearing grown accustomed to the sound and become conditioned to it?

I somehow doubt that, but who knows with this mystery and with this new development, which hopefully could be the answer to this nagging problem.

Norm 2019-01-15 00:10:40 

In reply to Casper

given the damage these attacks caused to Canadian diplomats in Cuba and, now in China

No proof of either. A "sound" weapon would have huge technical challenges, such as keeping the sound beam from being scattered by the atmosphere, as was the case with ordinary light.

Besides, why would any country want to harm foreign diplomats in such a way? There are less complicated ways to harm foreign diplomats anywhere!

Drapsey 2019-01-15 06:11:33 

In reply to trev114

I wonder whether that was the problem all along and not the claimed clandestine sonic waves directed at US diplomats in Cuba.