The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Scorpion reflects attitude to cricket in JA

Slipfeeler 2019-01-13 12:58:43 

Not surprising that the Jamaican Scorpion is currently occupying the cellar position in in the regional tournament, much to the delight of VOD big grin big grin
Anyway, cricket as a sport in JA now ranks below: Football; Track and field; Basketball; Netball.

My former High school packed Sabina Park with football supporters just about a month ago but not even the WI cricket team would fill a single stand at Sabina Park. However, we still enjoy our memories of past great West Indian cricket teams and players.

As one of my friends put it recently, cricket is now essentially a Southeastern West Indies sport. So CWI might have gotten it correct with the current composition of the WI test team

Priapus 2019-01-13 13:05:13 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Anyway, cricket as a sport in JA now ranks below: Football; Track and field; Basketball; Netball.

A Yardie on here said that cricket ALWAYS ranked below footie and T&F even when WI dominated the sport in the 80's and early 90s.

natty_forever 2019-01-13 13:15:11 

In reply to Priapus
... T&F maybe. Not sure about footie. A not sure if us all being Liverpool fans count.

WICFan 2019-01-13 13:34:03 

All it takes is for a Roman Powell or an Oshane Thomas to move onto the next stage and maybe it'll add interest into Jamaica Cricket.

When your team isn't playing well it's natural for interest to be low.

solidrock 2019-01-13 14:31:54 

Just like Barbados, Guyana, T & T and the smaller Islands need to rise in cricket for our WI team to rise again...so does Jamaica. If Jamaica does not rise from worthless cricket, the WI team will not rise. There must be a few excellent Jamaican crickets for our team to be the best again.

granite 2019-01-13 15:01:52 

In reply to Priapus

A young Jamaican woman I knew from work brought her 7 year old son from Jamaica came to England where they planned on making England their home.Anyway we went to the park and I took a child's bat and ball and we played cricket,to say I was surprised is an understatement.This boy at 7 was playing with a technique that belied his age.He played back,forward,defended at the correct times,to cut a long story short he was complete as a batsman.What was strange was,the mum said the only place he would play would be at school or sometimes in the yard.There was no father to coach him so where did he learn to bat so perfect.I called the mum a year ago and she told me he is into music and does not listen,he is now 19.There must be more like him.

Slipfeeler 2019-01-13 16:57:13 

I absolutely believe there are naturally talented Jcan cricketers in the island, like any other sports. That 7 year is an example, however, the majority of youngster have no interest in cricket. Sadly, they could name all the US basketball stars but struggle with knowing their own West Indies cricket greats.

I agree that a high performing Yardie cricketer might infuse some level of excitement into Jcan cricket fans.

Another factor to consider was CWI refusal to play Blackwood at Sabina Park and continued omission of Yardies on the test team might be another negative impact resulting in apathy and general lack of excitement in Yardie cricket.

Oilah 2019-01-13 19:00:39 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Just the other day Jamaica was dominating the 4day event under Lambert. How de attitude in de whole country could change so quickly? Teams go through the highs and de lows. Guyana was struggling no so long ago now they dominating. Cricket in Jamaica has been at best 3rd place for nuff nuff years.

voiceofreason 2019-01-13 19:36:34 

In reply to Oilah

Slippery Fella just making excuses for their cellar place position. Lol.

JahJah 2019-01-13 20:40:25 

In reply to voiceofreason

At least his excuses make sense. What about LI and WWI where cricket is the number 1 sport?

DWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

openning 2019-01-13 20:49:29 

Jamaica's cricket lacks leadership

Spoilt101 2019-01-13 23:49:19 

Well I can tell you guys that Jamaica is not lacking if crivketer, it is the administrations that the problems. I played cricket from primary school to college and played senior and junior cup cricket and I tell you I seen so many guys who could have played for west Indies that didn't even make the Jamaican team.
These days it's all about politics like we are satisfied with just putting ateam on the field and don't worry about winning.

Spoilt101 2019-01-13 23:52:39 

When you look at Jamaica it's the guys years after don't matter what happens it's the same guys.
If I was in charge of cricket in Jamaica when it's time for trials I would go to every parish and hold one then take the best back to Kingston for the final trials to pick the team.

Spoilt101 2019-01-13 23:55:34 

If you work for a recording company you can't keep your job if you are an A&R and not bringing talent to the company who putting out hit songs.
So why are we keeping these people around who are not bringing any good players to the Jamaica set up.

Spoilt101 2019-01-14 00:01:01 

Apart from oshane Thomas, reynard leveridge, Paul Palmer,rovman Powell, Assad fudadin, kenroy Williams the rest of the team must go.

imusic 2019-01-14 01:25:46 

In reply to Spoilt101

Apart from oshane Thomas, reynard leveridge, Paul Palmer,rovman Powell, Assad fudadin, kenroy Williams the rest of the team must go.

You’re a harsh one

A man just take 7 wickets for lil.bit in an innings and you dropping him?

shock

Spoilt101 2019-01-14 01:33:24 

In reply to imusic

Anyone can take wickets if you bowl all day some of these guys are only good at the regional level and plus Miller time have past at the end of the day you are preparing guys for test cricket if you don't have a future test you shouldn't be keeping other outside the team who have the potential.

newdread 2019-01-14 08:06:59 

In reply to Spoilt101

at the end of the day you are preparing guys for test cricket if you don't have a future test you shouldn't be keeping other outside the team who have the potential.

My friend, with that little statement there you have solved the "mystery" of WI cricket.

Do you really believe that any territorial board is doing that? They are not....they are, first and foremost, trying to win regional trophies. This is why players like Nikita Miller and Devon Smith, who have regional careers to be very proud of mind you, are still playing for their "franchises". (In quotes because that is a farce - all of these teams are still seen as national teams).

The sad thing about this is that winning these regional trophies carries no real financial reward for the players - only bragging rights for the respective administrations, who continue to fail at doing their real job - providing the mechanisms by which cricketers can develop.

Can say a lot more but more important activities beckon.....

natty_forever 2019-01-14 08:35:37 

In reply to newdread

This is why players like Nikita Miller and Devon Smith, who have regional careers to be very proud of mind you, are still playing for their "franchises". (In quotes because that is a farce - all of these teams are still seen as national teams).
… so is it we need to make up our minds?

I see real Franchise cricket selecting Nikita and Devon, as they would want the best players playing for their franchise … no?

Hence the name of the Franchise should be Kingston Scorpions. Therefore, another league is necessary where countries play, using their young and promising that are not selected for Franchise cricket? Just a wonder.

newdread 2019-01-14 10:13:55 

In reply to natty_forever

Which franchises select Nikita and Devon outside of their national team franchises....Nikita has been on the TKR franchise in the CPL for a few seasons.....but he rarely plays, and is not likely to be retained this year

sgtdjones 2019-01-14 10:16:09 

In reply to newdread

Did the Barbados Pride players get paid as yet?

redface

natty_forever 2019-01-14 13:24:58 

In reply to newdread… Well I feel those two could walk into any 4 day Franchise teams, if competing with jus those from the region. Right now I would trade a Yaadie opener for Devon!

Do not get me wrong, I understand what you saying. However, in our context I still would pick them.

deanjones 2019-01-14 13:32:38 

In reply to WICFan

All it takes is for a Roman Powell or an Oshane Thomas to move onto the next stage and maybe it'll add interest into Jamaica Cricket.

Chris Gayle and Andre Russell with all the millions they have been making should inspire more kids to take up cricket.

natty_forever 2019-01-14 15:30:49 

In reply to deanjones… yes, but they voop and out

WICFan 2019-01-14 17:06:01 

In reply to deanjones

Thing is Chris Gayle & Andre Russell would be known more for being stars in the T/20 format.

Powell &/or Thomas might do the same, but right now Jamaica needs one or two stars in the longer formats.

natty_forever 2019-01-15 13:27:03 

Scorpions a move like a bees that stung somebody already.

ponderiver 2019-01-15 13:43:41 

In reply to JahJah

big grin big grin big grin