The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Recommendations for the Regional 4 Day.

voiceofreason 2019-01-13 15:12:47 

More cameras and a review system. I saw Motie go down on his knees for an appeal and the Umpire give him after a 10 second delay. Only Motie appealed. Devon got jooked with a bump ball and then there was a runout which could have been more conclusive with the benefit of a replay. The careers of the Players are at stake.

You need to get the crowds back how? Play half of the games at other venues that do not currently get regional cricket games: Ronald Webster Park Anguilla, Carib Lumber Park St. Maarten, Guarcara amongst others. Bring the game to the fans.

You all can add to the list.

positiveg 2019-01-13 15:55:07 

In reply to voiceofreason

Et WQillett Park Nevis

I see where you are coming from and the addition of extra cameras last season was a nice touch
But guess the cost played a factor in us not seeing it this year

positiveg 2019-01-13 15:56:14 

P.S. I know you are known to be labelled an insular type person
So you're not just complaining cause you seen Devon get jooked and Motie appeal right?

Narper 2019-01-13 16:01:05 

I saw Motie go down on his knees for an appeal and the Umpire give him after a 10 second delay. Only Motie appealed. Devon got jooked with a bump ball and then there was a runout which could have been more conclusive with the benefit of a replay.

BUT you don't need more cameras and a review system

voiceofreason 2019-01-13 16:51:01 

In reply to positiveg I am just saying that we need to raise the standard and these Umps need all the help they can get .

The ET Willett Park will pull ten times more a crowd than Warner Park. The idea was to get players accustomed to the Test grounds but you have ten games per team you can play five at test grounds and five at alternate grounds.

WICFan 2019-01-13 17:28:26 

Playing at test venues is one thing, playing at empty test venues is another.

As you say, they should rotate it a bit as long as the stadiums have the adequate facilities & infrastructure.

anthonyp 2019-01-13 18:57:21 

You didnt see when Ray Jordan Edge one behind and the umpire said not out?

Would have been Keemo 7th wicket in the first innings. The batsman started to walk off all and umpire Nigel said not out..

voiceofreason 2019-01-13 19:20:15 

In reply to anthonyp

Ok so we admit that regional umpiring is atrocious. So hence the need for technology and better training for the Umps.

voiceofreason 2019-01-13 19:22:35 

In reply to WICFan

Agreed. Bring the Cricket rural. There is more appetite for it there. One of the biggest crowds at any sporting event here in the BVI was a red stripe cricket match Leewards vs Windwards with 2000 plus each day. Tape ball cricket pulls hundreds on a Sundays here but we just need a proper facility and if we can get some regional games we can bust the gate with 2000 each day.

positiveg 2019-01-13 20:44:08 

I fully agree.
It will be jam packed.. Lil village games in Nevis pulls more crowd than regionals at Warner Park

Emir 2019-01-13 21:38:11 

Well said

voiceofreason 2019-01-13 23:02:47 

In reply to positiveg

If you play in front of big crowds then yo attract more sponsors. Now who wants to sponsor Regional 4 day in front of 2 men and a dog?

natty_forever 2019-01-14 08:07:28 

Agreed. Bring the Cricket rural. There is more appetite for it there.
… agree.

larafan 2019-01-14 08:18:31 

what big crowd yuh talking bout? nobody have time to waste anymore to sit and watch an entire day of cricket. They said that in trinidad 'only south people does watch cricket'....and of the 6 regional games they've had at tarouba in the last 18 months or so if u had 18 people in total over the 6 games watching them yuh had plenty. this streaming thing they doing now is the best thing they've done in forever

and them rural grounds yuh talking about have to be of a certain standard can't be poor outfields with potholes, old grass and goat shit all over the place. facilities have to be up to standard is first class cricket we talking about here. plenty of these rural grounds , u can't even get running water to wash yuh hands, not to mention the dimenions of the grounds, most of them are tiny...they good for school/club cricket...not first class.

While i'm all for a review system, how feasible is that for first class cricket, does any country have a review system at first class level regularly? the odd game yeah, but all games?

natty_forever 2019-01-14 08:39:06 

In reply to larafan… well here (YAAD) we could use Chedwin Park in St. Catherine and The White Elephant in Trelawny.

voiceofreason 2019-01-14 09:00:00 

In reply to larafan

Hello Lara fan... So what about Guaracara? What about Central? Again you can speak for TNT and I can speak for Leewards which is a group of islands yet all regional cricket are played in Antigua and St.Kitts and the rest are left starving for live cricket. Yes live cricket...Nothing beats live cricket....Not just about cricket but the environment... The lime... Priceless Bro.

I sponsor local cricket tape ball games that pull hundreds on a weekend. If we had a proper playing facility here and got regional games now that would be huge.

Again bring back the crowds...Bring back the sponsorship and then the CWI would not have to bear all the burden.

Dukes 2019-01-14 09:03:48 

The careers of the Players are at stake

If you are good, you will be selected because one day you get a bad decision and the next you are let off when you should have been given out.

Emir 2019-01-14 09:52:37 

In reply to larafan

Poor crowds in Trinidad, and indeed elsewhere as you cited is mainly b/c of extremely poor marketing and neglect by the boards.

VOR's idea to take cricket deep into the grass-roots via non traditional venues, is a really neat and fresh idea.

This idea was proven in the USA years ago by another sports in order to gain market share and attract new fans- it works.

Emir 2019-01-14 09:53:45 

In reply to Dukes

If you are good, you will be selected because one day you get a bad decision and the next you are let off when you should have been given out.

Are you sure about this?

voiceofreason 2019-01-14 13:39:20 

In reply to larafan

I will research the review system's use in other FC domestic circuits.

VoopsandOut 2019-01-14 13:47:45 

I also agree with VOR. I am also based in BVI and I was there at that WIv LI match. It was a non stop party for all the days. However, we no longer have a first class ground here, more the pity. Remember as well the Stanford crowds at a non traditional venue.

imusic 2019-01-14 13:55:15 

I sponsor local cricket tape ball games that pull hundreds on a weekend.

How long is your average tape ball game?

natty_forever 2019-01-14 15:29:50 

In reply to VoopsandOut… T20s are different, played in your back-yaad and they would draw a crowd.

Ridge 2019-01-14 15:34:44 

Regional cricket uses to be played in Albion, Berbice and Hampton Court (Essequibo Coast).
I can't remember when last regional cricket has been played there.I am sure they will
get more spectators than the National stadium.
Wondering what is the conditions of those facilities?

voiceofreason 2019-01-14 15:50:38 

In reply to imusic and natty_forever

They would flock to T20/ Tape Ball and 4 Day cricket as they are starving for cricket and even moreso higher level cricket. Also US Virgin Islands is next door and they will come over too. The games can be played in the USVI but then visa issues make that complicated.

navindesigns 2019-01-14 16:44:10 

ronald webster park in anguilla will definitely pull some crowd

voiceofreason 2019-01-15 12:59:13 

In reply to navindesigns

The Park at Monsterrat too. I remember the later Runako Morton beating some bowling there.

XDFIX 2019-01-15 14:13:09 

In reply to Emir

Poor crowds in Trinidad, and indeed elsewhere as you cited is mainly b/c of extremely poor marketing and neglect by the boards.

I agree 100%. That said, people are moving away from brick and mortar store.

In a similar way, people are changing their behavior towards sports in general and cricket in particular.

More and more people prefer watching sports from the comfort of their bedroom!