The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Jacob and Bob take a trip...

pelon 2019-01-14 10:37:22 

[Music fans only]
Pardon my random thoughts on this little known event....

Next year will be 40 years since Bob Marley and Jacob Miller traveled to Brazil in March of 1980. These two legends made a trip, along with Chris Blackwell and Junior Marvin via private jet to promote Ariola record label (a sister company of Island Records) in Brazil. You should know that on a stop to refuel (in the Amazon) - Brazilian immigration officers refused to give these dreadlock legends work permits - preventing any possibility of a concert in Brazil... but that meant one thing was left to do: party!!!

What happened the next 3 days is the stuff of legend. A soccer match, where Bob scored a goal, unreleased recording sessions and epic accounts of weed among musicians and journalist.

Little is known of this trip in the English speaking Caribbean, even among die hard Marley fans - but it was significant for a couple reasons.

While they partied HARD for 3 days, enjoyed "rock star status" together - and smoked weed non-stop (esp. Jacob Miller). By all accounts written by journalist that followed them around Rio it was a celebration of their status and success as artist.
Unfortunately, it was at the time Marley was in denial of his cancer and pending ill health. More tragically: within two days of his return from this epic time (possibly a bit exhausted too) - Jacob Miller would be dead, a tragic car accident on Hope Road that also took the life of his son.
Marley never saw Jacob Miller alive after his return from that Brazil trip.

A few short days later Marley was in Africa to celebrate the Birth and Independence of Zimbabwe (April 17, 1980).... independence of Zimbabwe marks the count down to his own death. Within a year - Marley himself was gone from a short battle with cancer.

Summary: Life is short if measured in time. Measured in experiences, life can be full and filled.
Good peeps, make 2019 and every moment, an opportunity to explore new experiences.... What Marley did in any given year of his career.... other men do in a lifetime.

Big up to the immortals: Miller and Marley.

JayMor 2019-01-14 14:06:23 

In reply to pelon

Nice piece, Pelon. Thanks for the 2019 (and life) advice, and count me in among those now educated about that Brazil trip.

--Æ.

Ewart 2019-01-14 15:30:44 

In reply to pelon

Good piece. Thanks!

//

np 2019-01-14 15:51:43 

In reply to pelon
Yes Pelon, I know they (Bob and Jacob) had jam sessions together in trench Town (and YES nuff of the medicinal vibes flowed) ... but the Brazil act is NEWS to rass!!

About The tragic event for Jacob in 1980 on Hope Rd -- I was caught up in traffic as a result while heading home, up Hope Rd to JC!! I had lived in the Masters Residence area provided by the school.
sad sad

StumpCam 2019-01-14 15:59:06 

In reply to pelon

The first song I ever played on Jukebox in a rum shop as likkle bwoy was Jacob “Killer “ Miller - Tenament Yard. Nice anecdote, BTW. wink

JayMor 2019-01-14 16:04:18 

In reply to np

I had lived in the [JC] Masters Residence area provided by the school.

You taught Chem, right? at least I think that's what my buddy told me-- he's some six years my junior and holds you in high regard.

--Æ.

np 2019-01-14 16:34:38 

In reply to JayMor

Jay,
It was mainly the biological Sciences ... biology, zoology, botany ...

But my background education is biochemistry (a mix of the above) and chemistry , followed with graduate Science Education (at that time span while at JC) --- so I did have occasion to teach some chemistry as needed to bolster the absence of one teacher due to resignation and also one who was sick for a while -- I did 10 years of work that I love there, until it was my time to Move On. I enjoyed that work and hopefully relayed some good vibes to young minds ... both scientific principles and political thoughts .... my classes provided much opportunity to expand the politics of science.

Until .... What I wanted t do did not exist in JA/Caribbean so I migrated reluctantly ...

Ive since moved on to more Bioinformatics & Research Science.

JohnBull 2019-01-14 17:09:38 

In reply to np

Hail up mi bredren ...... was Mr. Campbell aka Bushy still teaching chemistry when you were there?

np 2019-01-14 17:42:38 

In reply to JohnBull

YEP .... he and I worked well together ... he was head of physics and did go on leave for a while - so I was helping outwith physics for a few weeks too.

Multitasking is my name!

Curtis 2019-01-14 18:19:12 

In reply to pelon

Thanks for that timely reminder so wonderfully captured.

We need to really appreciate the present.

Headley 2019-01-14 19:05:53 

In reply to pelon

Thanks for an interesting and informative piece and totally unknown to me.