The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Justice for Cornwall!

voiceofreason 2019-01-16 12:23:21 

Seriously a gross injustice is happening here. How can you explain Brian Charles who averages 32 with two 5fers after 17 matches gets to play before Cornwall who averages 24.73 s/r 52 and 14 5fers with 1 10fer after 42 FC matches. Add to that he is handy with the bat averaging 23.35 with one century and 9 half centuries.

Now there lies a real INJUSTICE!

natty_forever 2019-01-16 12:37:56 

AGREE!

… unless he in the test squad?

Kay 2019-01-16 12:41:48 

In reply to voiceofreason

How can you explain Brian Charles who averages 32 with two 5fers after 17 matches gets to play before Cornwall who averages 24.73 s/r 52 and 14 5fers with 1 10fer after 42 FC matches.

Those figures don't tell the full story. You are omitting vital statistics that plays a huge part in selection....smile

XDFIX 2019-01-16 12:44:34 

Show some love for Nikita Miller!

JoeGrine 2019-01-16 12:48:42 

Enjoy it, he got Nikita-rized

Spoilt101 2019-01-16 13:10:02 

Cornwall is a professional cricketer and all he have to do is get healthy, I can't understand leewards island cricket board or the west Indies cricket board, if I'm investing in something or someone am calling the shots because I want my return from my investment.
Every thing cornwall eat and drink would be my business or you are out of the contract if you can't follow the steps that going to get you health.

voiceofreason 2019-01-16 13:46:02 

In reply to XDFIX
Nikita Miller and Jomel Warrican are both left arm orthodox so it is reasonable to assume that they are competing for the same slot. Cornwall is an off spinner who has batting potential. Apples and oranges.

voiceofreason 2019-01-16 13:47:24 

In reply to Spoilt101

The fit team just got brownwashed in Bangladesh. What is your point? The Youth lost weight. and consistently performs. This is nonsense.

JoeGrine 2019-01-16 13:49:50 

Nikita Miller and Jomel Warrican are both left arm orthodox so it is reasonable to assume that they are competing for the same slot. Cornwall is an off spinner who has batting potential. Apples and oranges.

You are missing the point, Miller has been stiffed by the selectors FOREVER, not since Warrican came on the scene.

Tell your boy Cornwall to fall in line and enjoy being Nikita-rized!

Narper 2019-01-16 13:50:36 

Justice for Cornwall !!!!

Brung must come out and explain why Cornwall is being overlooked

Spoilt101 2019-01-16 13:51:06 

My point is the reason they are not selecting him is because of his weight and if That's the problem west Indies and leewards island cricket board is to be blame they are in charge of him.

Narper 2019-01-16 13:51:49 

In reply to JoeGrine

Permaul-ized too

Narper 2019-01-16 13:54:56 

In reply to Spoilt101

My point is the reason they are not selecting him is because of his weight

Did he fail a fitness test which all others passed

let the selectors say so

voiceofreason 2019-01-16 14:01:48 

In reply to JoeGrine

Miller is more of a limited overs option. A container. In tests you want attacking options which is what Cornwall brings to the table. At least Miller has 50 ODIS and 1 test to his name but what dos Cornwall have?

Its all about Cornwall's weight and fitness so they don't care about his performance.

dclar301 2019-01-16 14:16:27 

In reply to Spoilt101
Just asking , how do you know Cornwall is not healthy? Do you have information about his health? Also, who can run faster, Cornwall or Gayle? Because a person is bigger than you does not always mean he/she is not healthy. There are unhealthy skinny people.

JoeGrine 2019-01-16 14:22:40 

Both Miller and Cornwall have been shafted by he board.

Spoilt101 2019-01-16 15:34:17 

In reply to Narper

You getting it wrong narper am telling you what their decision for not picking him is not mine.

Narper 2019-01-16 15:43:59 

In reply to Spoilt101

You getting it wrong narper am telling you what their decision for not picking him is not mine.

Okay it is not yours
But did anyone from CWI say that Cornwall is not being selected because of weight issues? And that he had failed fitness tests?

You see these clowns have just watched people and not picked them because they 'looked' fat. the following players come to mind
Lambert
Sarwan
Rampaul

Narper 2019-01-16 15:47:16 

I now remember Brung's cop out criterion for non selection selection
Players must READ to be selected
Maybe Cornwall is not READING

Spoilt101 2019-01-16 16:55:48 

In reply to Narper

Ok am happy you you bring Lambert up he was the captain winning like 3 to 4 title and scoring runs why you think he didn't play test cricket.

And yes all the talk shows and articles the I have read that's what they said the cricket board is saying about Cornwall none selection.

clokey 2019-01-16 18:54:44 

I'd LOVE to see Cornwall make it. I think he has serious talent.

But let's be real.

The man is morbidly obese.

The WICB have put a number of fitness, diet and health programs in front of him and he hasn't shown the professionalism or discipline to stick to them.

How badly does he want this life? Obviously not badly enough.

positiveg 2019-01-16 19:35:44 

In reply to clokey

How do you know he has not stuck to it. He was back in CO at the training centre.

De man aint gonna be skinny. So this whole got to be slim to play is BS.

Deh gonna skylark till the man gone. Some he fans done tell him take up offers on the T20 circuit. So obviously he's had a few shown interest. But still he's toiling in the regionals and still not getting a shot

Narper 2019-01-16 20:25:00 

In reply to clokey

The man is morbidly obese.

And how do you know this? Do you have access to his personal and medical records?

Do you know his height? His weight? BMI? Does he have high blood pressure? Is he diabetic? You must be some kind of genius to diagnose a man by looking at him on a screen big grin

clokey 2019-01-16 20:42:03 

In reply to Narper

How do I know?

I have eyes.

I love that he seemingly wants to make it in the test side, especially considering how good he could be at T20 cricket on the international circuit. The Windies need more of that.

I don't expect him to be skinny, I don't want him to lose 100kg and look like Jason Holder.

I want him to be healthy. I want him to behave like a professional athlete.

If someone could show me a recent picture, say of the last few months, of Cornwall who is looking healthy enough to play cricket at the highest level for five days, in 35+ degree heat, without breaking down, I'm happy to be proven wrong.

CricketLuva4 2019-01-16 21:00:27 

Miller and Jomel Warrican are both left arm orthodox so it is reasonable to assume that they are competing for the same slot. Cornwall is an off spinner who has batting potential. Apples and oranges

So is Cornwall competing for Jase Holder's spot or Chase's? Because you're calling him an allrounder.

Holder is the captain and our best cricketer so he can't move. Furthermore, I don't think Cornwall has the technique to bat #6 where Chase currently occupies. In other words, when we choose a normal team (6 batsmen, Dowrich at 7, Holder at 8, 2 pacers and 1 spinner) there is no fit for Cornwall UNLESS he competes with all the other spinners.

In my eyes, Cornwall/Miller/Warrican/Bishoo/Permaul etc are all competing for the SOLE spinner's spot, with two of those coming in when we decide to play 2 spinners. If/when that does happen his batting is a plus, although being an off spinner when we already have Chase works against him.

Whether you think Cornwall is as good a spinner as all those other names is another story, his record certainly competes. But as we know any tweaker who can hit a length will be successful in FC cricket here.

voiceofreason 2019-01-16 21:35:06 

In reply to CricketLuva4

Based on his FC stats he is ahead of all those spinners you just mentioned. Also his stats weren't achieved solely at Regional FC but he has dominated at A Team level as well. He is competing for a spinning allrounder slot.

cricketmygame 2019-01-16 21:58:31 

Justice for the Fridge

bobby 2019-01-16 22:02:49 

Cornwall plays 4 day cricket. He usually bowls the most overs. He takes wickets and then he makes runs. Let us call this what it is.. pure victimisation. He is big boned and he is large. So what? I have asked before does anyone remember the Warickshire and England opening batsman Colin Milburn? This is pure bull. In any case he can't do any worse than the failures Brownie keeps picking.

voiceofreason 2019-01-16 22:07:47 

In reply to bobby

This move has Pybus written all over it.

CricketLuva4 2019-01-17 08:19:34 

Cornwall does NOT have a better FC bowling average than Miller, Warrican, Permaul. But his batting ability does work in his favour.

It's probably ahead of Bishoo's, but Bishoo has the added bonus of being a leg spinner. Also, Bishoo has had some good returns in test cricket already, a proven entity in some respects.

PS - All Miller, Permaul and Warrican have represented the A team and done well.

If you say he's competing for a spin bowling allrounder spot? Who is he competing with? Chase?