The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

tours around jamaica

freij 2019-02-17 23:40:17 

hi all

after some advice please. I'm looking to head to Jamaica later this year, probably for around 10 days. I was wondering, what is the best way to tour around the island to see as much as possible. also, what are the "must see/do/eat/etc's"???

thanks

Chrissy 2019-02-18 10:46:19 

In reply to freij

Hey you.
PM me and tell me what you like then I'll make recommendations

Ewart 2019-02-18 15:48:43 

In reply to freij

Way back in 1960 I toured Jamaica in a Volkswagen with three friends over a weekend. I still think of it as one of my great tours.

If you do it over a week instead of a weekend, take in the following:

1. Go east and take in Morant Bay with the statue of Paul Bogle before the court house.

2. Go further past Manchioneal to Long Bay and eat some of the best Jerk pork in then world before going on to Port Antonio. There take in the Folly ruins, the white castle that is now owned by Lee Chin, and spend a night or two at one of the haciendas overlooking the city. Go rafting on the Rio Grande. Port Antonio is capital of the parish of Portland which gave birth to Dr. Thomas Lecky who created cows specifically suited for the Jamaican climate and topography. It is also the parish of the brothers Sherlock who wrote great chapters in the history and development of Jamaica.

3. Go west through Oracabessa to Ocho Rios where you can sample just about any kind of food you want including McDonalds.

4. Leave Ocho Rios and stop at the famed Dunn's River Falls where you can climb the Falls.

5. Between Ocho Rios and St. Ann's Bay there is a fabulous Jerk pork centre, the name of which eludes me at the moment. Do stop there.

6. Go further west to Falmouth and take in the Georgian architecture.

7. Just outside Montego Bay is the Rose Hall Great House where the white witch Annie Palmer lived.

8. And then you are into the earliest established tourist destination, Montego Bay where, like Ocho Rios you can get everything you desire including side tours.

9. Moving west, at the border of St. James and Hanover, there is the Great River and I believe there are still tours there and river rafting.

10. Negril in Westmoreland, famed for its seven-mile beach, is like Niagara Falls in that it caters for every pocket. They say you must visit Rick's Cafe there.

11. Now you have gone as far west as you can and you will be travelling east once again, this time on the south coast. Stop at Bluefields for beaching, at the Y Falls for sightseeing, and in Middle Quarters for shrimp.

12. Then on to Appleton Estate for a tour of the factory that produces the famous rum.

13. Drive up the Spur Tree Hill to Mandeville, the capital of Manchester for a tour of the city.

14. For a look at real internal Jamaica, take roads north to Christiana and then return through Frankfield and Chapelton to May Pen in Clarendon and Old Harbour in St. Catherine where you will be able to get the best friend fish outside of port Royal.

15. Then take the highway to Kingston, Jamaica's capital. Kingston is not only the business capital, it is the cultural capital with bookstores, cinemas, churches of all kinds, four or five stage plays every night, fashion houses and as wide a sampling of cuisine as you can fins anywhere. A tour of the UWI campus and a visit to Hope Botanical Gardens are musts. And a side tour to Port Royal for fried fish is a must.

Suggestion: Travel with a Jamaican local.

Enjoy!

PS. Get a copy of my book We Come From Jamaica: The National Movement 1937-1962. It will be an excellent companion for your trip.

//

DirtyDan 2019-02-18 16:40:06 

In reply to Ewart

Great advice

russean76 2019-02-18 17:15:01 

If you go to Jamaica and dont Visit Pelican bar you"ve missed it all. It was rated one of the best bar to vist by travel advisor. Its located in St Lacovia,St Elizabeth. Its about two miles out in the sea built on a platform and there is nothing else around but sea. If you google pelican bar you will get a good view of what it looks like.

russean76 2019-02-18 17:21:51 

Pelican bar is a bar and restaurant. Interestingly all the food is made on coal stoves and the music in run off car batteries. Drinks are very inexpensive. The place is run by a group of rastafarians hence the low cost. The only other cost is about US$15 for round trip boat ride, negotiable

birdseye 2019-02-18 17:35:08 

In reply to Ewart

No thru coleyville , back to the north coast of thru Spauldings to brownstown back to ranaway bay ---- guess cant do everything… that coleyville route is challenging ---- then you could go thru Port Antonio to Kingston ---- just messing with you ---- you suggest a good tour big grin

freij 2019-02-18 17:59:45 

In reply to Ewart

thank you thank you thank you. That is pure gold my friend.

exactly what I was after. however, I'm not ashamed to admit, I would be a little nervous, if not scared to travel around Jamaica on our own. I do like the suggestion but how does one get a local to come along????

freij 2019-02-18 18:01:02 

In reply to russean76
thank you russean76. I will put it on the list

freij 2019-02-18 18:01:41 

In reply to birdseye

thank you for your input birdseye. I will look in to this route too

freij 2019-02-18 18:01:57 

thank you all

Ewart 2019-02-18 18:04:44 

In reply to birdseye

Yes, that Spaldings, Aenon Town, Cave Valley, Clarksonville, Aboukir, Inverness, Alexandria, Brown's Town route to the North coast is worth it. As is the one from Falmouth through Clarke's Town, Wakefield, Level Bottom, Wire Fence, The Alps and Ulster Spring, Albert Town, Wait A Bit to the south coast.

big grin

//

Ewart 2019-02-18 18:08:58 

In reply to freij

...but how does one get a local to come along????

Check with the Jamaica Tourist Board for suggestions. Or with JUTA, the transportation company (Jamaica Union of Travellers Association)

They should be able to guide you.

//

freij 2019-02-18 18:29:33 

In reply to Ewart

thank you

freij 2019-02-18 18:29:55 

In reply to Ewart
looking for your book as we speak

birdseye 2019-02-18 18:36:19 

In reply to freij

I do like the suggestion but how does one get a local to come along????
When I go to Jamaica or any Island these days – if I am not dealing with friends or relatives (relatives can be the worst --- they take you to their interests instead of yours) – I normally ingratiate myself with hotel personnel and have them recommend a trusted taxi driver and hire one for the tour….they normally know popular eateries, hangouts, and have connections that provides a level of safety.

Ewart 2019-02-18 18:48:48 

In reply to freij

Where are you looking? Where are you based?

//

Chrissy 2019-02-18 19:02:52 

In reply to freij

It's best to travel on the Knutsford Express

Ewart 2019-02-18 19:08:48 

In reply to Chrissy and freij

That is by far one of the best things to happen in Jamaica since Independence. And although Knutsford tends to keep on the main roads it is continually expanding its routes.

Important to check with them...

//

freij 2019-02-18 19:10:07 

In reply to Ewart

I'm not sure where to base myself so open for suggestion there. I mean, do I stay in Kingston and do tours from there or do I base myself somewhere like say, Montego Bay and travel from there or do I start some where and then stay at the next destination. travel, stay at the next destination and so on and so forth?

freij 2019-02-18 19:10:46 

In reply to Chrissy

do you say that from a safety point of view Chrissy?

freij 2019-02-18 19:11:14 

In reply to birdseye

thanks mate

Ewart 2019-02-18 19:14:11 

In reply to freij

No I was trying to discover where you were based in order to direct you to where the book could be found.

Check your pm.

//

camos 2019-02-18 19:48:12 

In reply to birdseye

Coleyville is a slightly different route, it is Christiana, Coleyville, Lorrimers, Lime Tree, Wait A Bit , Stettin , Albert Town ,Ulster Spring ,Alps, Sawyers ,Jackson Town, Clarkstown, Duncans.

rudebway 2019-02-18 19:54:21 

In reply to camos

you trying to give the man a heart attack? he needs to follow Ewarts advice. Spaldings, Aenon town Cave Valley , Alexandria Brownstown then Runaway Bay.

if this was 20 years ago, i would tell him to go to Rocky Point (near Lionel Town, Vere area) and get the best fish and bammy possible... but nowadays that might be too dangerous.

birdseye 2019-02-18 21:13:38 

In reply to camos

Coleyville is a slightly different route, it is Christiana, Coleyville, Lorrimers, Lime Tree, Wait A Bit , Stettin , Albert Town ,Ulster Spring ,Alps, Sawyers ,Jackson Town, Clarkstown, Duncans.
How the rass you and ewart remember all them likkle nuck and cranny towns where the ‘now entering and leaving is on the same sign post? Damn! that’s impressive big grin big grin

camos 2019-02-19 08:42:58 

In reply to birdseye

I am originally from Trelawny , lived in Manchester for a time and goes back roughly once per year! lol

Ewart 2019-02-19 09:30:55 

In reply to rudebway

Rocky Point synonymous with great fish - prepared any way.

But yes, that was 50 years ago.....Rough down there now.

//

Ewart 2019-02-19 09:31:41 

In reply to birdseye

lol lol lol

//

camos 2019-02-19 10:23:52 

In reply to Ewart

I think Rocky never recovered from that hurricane!

londoner 2019-02-19 20:39:13 

In reply to Ewart You did not mention Treasure Beach

Ewart 2019-02-19 22:37:02 

In reply to londoner

True....

Treasure Beach should definitely be on the tour.

//

Tryangle 2019-02-20 10:08:35 

In reply to Ewart

Ewart your summaries have made me want to go back and I've already been there 5 times!

Ewart 2019-02-20 17:37:30 

In reply to Tryangle

On that Island Tour we did back in 1960 we first headed west. But at May Pen we turned north off the main highway, through Four Paths, Brixton Hill, and Mocho where I had lived for four years in my infancy.

I believe we went on through Smithville and Thompson Town but I do not remember how we got back down to either Porus or Williamsfield.

//

birdseye 2019-02-20 19:26:17 

In reply to Ewart

down to either Porus or Williamsfield.
A for porus and williamsfield – spent a couple of freewheeling years in those towns --- Williamsfields had a Chinese bar that was the must stop after work --- porus had a bar – believe the owner’s name was Henry (don’t quite remember) – that was Friday after work domino night – curry goat, manish water, bammy and fish and whatever flourishing there was --- damn ewart --- you bringing back some memories here --- memorable times

camos 2019-02-20 19:33:36 

In reply to birdseye

Williamsfields had a Chinese bar

at the round about?

jahmekyah 2019-02-20 20:31:49 

In reply to rudebway
Agreed: follow spaulding bailleston, nine miles (not the bob marley one)Alston, Borrow-Bridge Aenon Town Cave Valley etc etc thru Browns Town to Runaway Bay or Discovery Bay. did that route this past Sat.the 16th .at the stop of shooters Hill in Walderston
stop at the jerk center on the way to Mandeville

jahmekyah 2019-02-20 20:42:02 

Recently return to jamaica (took early Retirement) to live after 30 years in North America. left jamaica at age 22
I enjoy touring the island. use small change (dollars) in Public. let no one know you are Foreigner

jahmekyah 2019-02-20 20:58:08 

In reply to Ewart

5. Between Ocho Rios and St. Ann's Bay there is a fabulous Jerk pork centre, the name of which eludes me at the moment. Do stop there

"Scotchies Jerk Center" Mammee Bay next to the Huge interactive billboard at the GasStation

goofballs 2019-02-20 21:12:17 

In reply to Ewart

If you do it over a week instead of a weekend, take in the following:

Thanks! Nice guide.
I went a few times.
Remember driving thru Fern gulley or s'ting. Great scenery.
Climbing up Dunns Falls on a dare from a 9 yr old. I made it to the top, eventually, and is sheer ecstasy jumped up with my hands in the air celebrating.
My feet landed on some slimy rocks and had to be carried off. Spent the rest of that tour on a wheelchair.......but I gat pics.
Eating real jerk chicken, ackee and salt fish.
The only souvenir I saw were scores of little guys statues with something double their height sticking from the lower abdomen.
Shopman, wasn't Bravos, said it was the national treasure!!

Hire a local driver at a discount from the official tourist's rate. They appreciate the work and take pleasure showing you around their country with all the subtleties that you don't get on "the tour" like taking you to their own garden to pick mango or coconut.

Just worry about the potential for crime, as I do in Baltimore or DC anyways.

jahmekyah 2019-02-20 21:24:47 

In reply to freij

Pm me if you need a local tourist guide, First Class all the Way.. decent people
with my type of security

freij 2019-02-25 18:19:09 

Hi all. I haven't been on here for about a week but coming on here now to check and see the conversation is still going with more information is very much appreciated. so thank you all

freij 2019-02-25 18:23:45 

In reply to jahmekyah

did you get my PM? I'm not sure it went through confused

jahmekyah 2019-02-25 21:04:51 

In reply to freij
Check your PM