The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Former Min of Health responds to 'Fat Shaming'..

bravos 2019-03-09 11:07:43 

Issue,we all love our fat folks too but he's spot on,as harsh as it may seem to the dreamers among us..

People need to manage their weight for their own good..

DAVE400 2019-03-09 11:15:39 

In reply to bravos

Sometimes you have to discard political correctness

bravos 2019-03-09 11:19:37 

In reply to DAVE400

Yeah man and that chick seems to be living in fairy land..

DAVE400 2019-03-09 11:23:28 

In reply to bravos

Listen..I believe you should always like what you see in the mirror..that's good for self esteem. But you should seek to self improve for health reasons.

Dont pull wool over your eyes

bravos 2019-03-09 11:26:45 

In reply to DAVE400

Spot on bro!!! cool

All the best to her in her um....... 'challenges' ? rolleyes

DAVE400 2019-03-09 11:43:35 

In reply to bravos

Pardnah...is real fight this video causing..I getting cuss on WhatsApp.. big grin big grin

bravos 2019-03-09 12:09:02 

In reply to DAVE400

You know Trinis! lol lol

Fulla shyte when dey ready...bandwagonist skunts.. lol

DAVE400 2019-03-09 12:18:30 

Drama queens

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-03-09 13:14:35 

She bone big. The thick skin girl should be allowed to dance on the road.

but our increasingly politically correct society, sometimes we try to gloss over the hard facts of fat for fear of appearing prejudicial toward the overweight.
I am not promoting weight loss for aesthetic reasons, and I fully advocate that women (and men) should love and accept themselves regardless of their shape, color, size.

my concern is that our ever-growing “protect self-esteem at any cost” culture has led us to tip-toe around the dire reality of how fat we have become as a people, and the serious health implications that come with this.

When does “love of curves” (black guys and white girls lol<-) or mantras of self-acceptance cross the line into either implicitly condoning unhealthy lifestyles

bravos 2019-03-09 13:23:30 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

She's lying though,fat people were always a part of carnival and sought after for on the spot wining orgies ,it's a time when everyone can feel free to let it all hang out,she's a fake ass,probably her first carnival fat...

This has never been an issue..she wants to become a social media couch warrior to boot.she should give up on that start simply walking round the Savannah instead on evenings if you ask me..

For her own good..

bravos 2019-03-09 13:23:44 

In reply to DAVE400

Lol yeah..

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-03-09 13:29:28 

In reply to bravos
oh..she pulling a "i got beat up -Jessie Smollet"

Don't know the story in dept. Just the video she posted.

Emir 2019-03-09 13:37:15 

In reply to bravos

Agreed that people must work to achieve a balance weight/ body mass and they should do so with medical advice.

Fat Shaming is totally different issue and has has no part in the national health dialogue.

Instead a national health policy inclusive of a holistic approach is best. Weight control, healthy food consumption, war against smoking and binge drinking, sugar prevention and control of processed foods are all part of that dialogue. Shaming a person simply doesn't work and it harms the overweight person as it is a part of bullying- think about fat kids in school

bravos 2019-03-09 13:42:52 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

Yeah and it struck me for Carnival how so many overweight people were having a time without a care in the world and I just smiled, and then this.. rolleyes

Actually saw her too,she stood out..

bravos 2019-03-09 13:43:11 

In reply to Emir

Correcto! cool

goofballs 2019-03-09 14:37:05 

Who on Earth has any right to comment, much less criticize somebody's appearance or life style?

Family physician maybe>
I don't see any of her personal family physician around.
Pretentious bunch.

goofballs 2019-03-09 14:41:23 

Arrogance maybe?
Next thing you know, the commentators will tell her what to eat, who to have sex with, what to wear.

POINT is, it is her personal domain, as much as we all might have our personal opinions or bias. We cannot impose that on another person.

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-03-09 14:44:53 

In reply to goofballs

I don't see any of her personal family physician around.

I am her personal physician from back street!!

I advised her on eating habits and increased physical activity. The treatment methods that are right for her due to her level of obesity, her overall health and willingness to participate in her weight-loss plan. Dietary changes!!.

I recommended to her to do some brisk walking but she insisted fete and bacchanal.

goofballs 2019-03-09 14:48:00 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

smile
Good try!
I mean guys in a back room or rum shop chatting is one thing.

Haven't you heard about the Fat is Beautiful movement?

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-03-09 14:50:20 

In reply to goofballs

Haven't you heard about the Fat is Beautiful movement?

that is head in the sand fit.
big grin

I will not enable anyone in the name of self esteem

goofballs 2019-03-09 15:04:50 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

I will not enable anyone

You have no right, no jurisdiction!
Actually, discrimination.

Research has shown that obesity is a complex socioeconomic, psychological and physiological phenomenon.

You know Victoria's Secret is closing down stores? smile
Society is against big skin people.

Just advocating anorexic appearance.

Chrissy 2019-03-09 15:08:35 

In reply to bravos

+1,000
Our poor ass countries can't afford the medical costs of all this bad food

bravos 2019-03-09 15:10:47 

In reply to Chrissy

wink

goofballs 2019-03-09 15:14:37 

In reply to Chrissy

We need to depend less on poor ass food like plantain, cassava, breadfruit, bread products,rice.

Sheer starch!

goofballs 2019-03-09 15:36:21 

Speaking of which, anybody has shamed you for smoking?

Drinking? smile

Same or more health costs.

granite 2019-03-09 15:39:00 

In reply to goofballs

Simple as that,cut the starch to a minimum.My waist was catching up with my chest which is 40 inches,waist was 36.I immediately stopped rice,plantain,eddoes and white bread,meat and veg now without potatoes,waist now 34 in a few weeks.I still have plantain once a week and eddoes but have cut down.I t is working.

bravos 2019-03-09 15:47:57 

In reply to granite

34 is perfect for me also...

Rule #1 never buy a larger size to fit into..For me it's 34 comfortable or hit the circuit change diet etc..

black 2019-03-09 16:25:58 

In reply to bravos

There are many reasons for people being overweight, I am surprised that this guy would make such statements, without consulting with the woman, first.

He is assuming that she is fat because she eats to much. That might or might not be the case, some people have medical issues that causes them to be overweight.

bravos 2019-03-09 16:39:02 

In reply to black

The man is obviously speaking waay past that,everyone knows about that,people need to take the broader message,obviously this doesn't apply to those with such complications beyond their control,isn't it a bit condescending to suggest that a health professional or people with good general knowledge aren't aware of that??..

He isn't talking about aunty having a bad reaction to steroids treating her lupus,he's talking about people killing themselves with food..

Don't come across like copy and paste stdJones and sterile impotent lab rat disCourtesy..You have to go right down to basics with them then reach up to ground level to the broader points details factors perspective and dynamics of a situation..

Such ailments are rare few and far in between,he knows exactly who's he's talking to and you should too,the MULTIPLE combos and UPSIZE crew..

Emir 2019-03-09 16:45:58 

In reply to granite

Wen your waist reach 30, let me know.

I have been a waist 30 for 28 years now.

You are correct about carbs, in addition to what you listed, add rice and roti- in fact plaintain is better than both.

big grin

Courtesy 2019-03-09 16:50:44 

In reply to bravos
When you become aware of "verb subject agreement" and apply it successfully in a sentence only then you will you be in a position to call anyone "lab rat." Fool...you're too braggadocious.

black 2019-03-09 16:51:12 

In reply to bravos

The man is obviously speaking waay past that,everyone knows about that,people need to take the broader message,obviously this doesn't apply to those with such complications beyond their control,isn't it a bit condescending to suggest that a health professional or people with good general knowledge isn't aware of that??.

No, that is not what he was saying, he directly accused her of being fat from eating too much.

bravos 2019-03-09 17:06:52 

In reply to black

She's not denying it,anyone overweight with other complications won't be able to play mas like that..she's is denial..she can't go on like that,her body won't hold much longer,she's young so she's not being affected as yet..

Good luck to her..

bravos 2019-03-09 17:10:51 

In reply to Courtesy

Boy fuck off with yuh man stalking nah,this is a forkin Caribbean forum,wees talk how we feel....an we does mix it up, haul yuh chupid failed professional cont nah..you is nuttin but forum filler,white rice,forum light...plain copy paper...old notes,almost obsolete and irrelevant..

Will you please continue to fuck off...

Courtesy 2019-03-09 17:14:55 

In reply to bravos

Boy fuck off with yuh man stalking nah,this is a forkin Caribbean forum,wees talk how we feel....an we does mix it up, haul yuh chupid failed professional cont nah..you is nuttin but forum filler,white rice,forum light...plain copy paper...old notes,almost obsolete and irrelevant..

Will you please continue to fuck off...

bravos: ,isn't it a bit condescending to suggest that a health professional or people with good general knowledge isn't aware of that??

lol lol lol

Uneducated fool...keep on cursing...your forte. It was your choice to draw me back to this MB with your lying post. Next time you will either quote me correctly or apologize for misquoting me. You'll be sorry you brought me back.

big grin

bravos 2019-03-09 22:35:19 

In reply to Cotosi

Go teach English lessons in St.Lucia bitch..go home and help raise the literacy rates..

goofballs 2019-03-09 23:25:42 

I had agreed with most of the health discussions so far.
General education is good

I just now watch de video.

What's wrong in the first few seconds?

The lady talked about her experience.

In which civilized society you gonna attack a person for being obese? It is very bad manners and just not done. It is a personal matter. Who knows what is going on, any illness, her personal battles, attempts at starving, purging or whatever. At least some learn to accept themselves than try live in shame, trying to disfigure or kill themselves because of that minister or you "macho" men here.

That Peudo minister sounds like a typical, arrogant, narcissistic person from some shit hole place. Giving an education in general is one thing. To lambast a young lady like that is totally unacceptable. Very sad.

I guess unless it is an anorexic Victoria's secret type of woman, you can cut them down. Who gave you that right?
Who is playing God here?
There are other more dangerous health issues that cost a country's health system a lot.
People just are superficial and more focussed on somebody's external appearance, hence the attack on this woman.
When that minister sits down with his boys or buy drinks for everyone, somebody should go and take away the drinks from him. Shame him for costing the health system. Anybody lights up a cigarette is probably more dangerous than an obese person.

This crudeness and arrogance is pathetic. The bullies will just cuss.
Go the rumshops and preach.

Btw, did I say that Minister guy is a real jerk? Talking like he is Lord and master picking on one obese person.
I guess a little bit of power, or some two cents in the pockets make people God.

Disgusting.

Spread education in a different way, not at the expense of one person!

Courtesy 2019-03-10 08:54:55 

In reply to bravos

Go teach English lessons in St.Lucia bitch..go home and help raise the literacy rates..

De boy bravos continues to lose it. It took him sometime to enter his usual entertainment phase of his posts.

I guess I will add comedian to his list of attributes. JOKER.

lol lol lol

Dukes 2019-03-10 09:35:21 

If a big man or woman want to eat themselves into BOLIVION (TM IRON MIKE) then NO PROBLEM.
Those who are tasked with the stewardship of our Health, however have a right, indeed duty to warn of the harmful effects of obesity which in the Caribbean is going in the wrong direction due to the oversize influence of American culture.That duty takes on a MORAL OBLIGATION when it comes to our children.EDUCATION IS THE KEY and the powers that be need to launch public service announcements designed to influence our population to eat healthy.

All this cussing and carrying on is totally unnecessary.

Courtesy 2019-03-10 09:39:51 

In reply to Dukes

Yep but the tone of the TNT doc turned politician could have been a lot more mellow and conscious of the fact of the varied causes of obesity. His message should have encompassed a more holistic approach. "Health is not merely the absence of disease..." You know the rest Dukes.

Dukes 2019-03-10 09:46:01 

In reply to Courtesy

AGREED

bravos 2019-03-10 11:35:42 

In reply to Dukes

Thanks doc,I knew you would bring some value to the discussion..a real professional. cool

bravos 2019-03-10 11:38:26 

In reply to Courtesy

Is or isn't you a panty man?

black 2019-03-10 11:46:24 

In reply to bravos

I don't think anyone is saying that a message of proper diet and moderation is not important. My issue with this former health minister was his assumption that this woman's obesity was strictly as a result of overeating. We don't know that.

bravos 2019-03-10 11:47:44 

...Sorry for harsh tone, not obesity message

While he is ready to apol­o­gise for the “harsh tone and some strong words” used dur­ing the two and a half minute long video he post­ed on so­cial me­dia on the is­sue, Khan yes­ter­day stood by the “the sub­stance of the state­ments.”

bravos 2019-03-10 11:53:34 

In reply to black

Bro I think it would be reasonable to assume that if she's capable of parading for two days her only current ailment would be the obesity,any illness or complication that would render a person to such a condition would also have them fatigued,nauseous,inflamed,in pain,depressed etc,it's miles upon miles of walking chipping wining drinking etc..In any case it would've served her well..

Maybe Dr Dukes can weigh in??

black 2019-03-10 12:20:51 

In reply to bravos

So what did this woman do to be scrutinized in this way?

Isn't she entitled to be part of the celebration like anyone else?

bravos 2019-03-10 13:04:42 

In reply to black

Lol she was the one that went public...her experience with a person or two isn't a true reflection of how we treat similar people,and if you listen carefully it was similarly obese ("+size"O) people she had her gripes with ffs!!'

Carnival is a time when everyone looks the same and wine the same..

It's a whole heap of nothing..

Hopefully she uses this experience to her benefit and we can have a follow up story next year where she loses some weight and even gives Khan the middle finger,for her own good of course,makes no difference to me how heavy she is or how she looks,being in her presence though it would be hard not to be a bit of concerned for her well being ..and I actually saw her and had those thoughts..only realized it was her after the video, pics and the band info etc..

Yeah but wifey and I noticed her..she was hard to miss and seemed very contented......I smiled (after wifey elbowed me in the left rib on seeing her) and of course wifey came out unscathed with no expression..redface..

Dem woman good eh!!?? smile

POINT 2019-03-10 23:56:08 

In reply to goofballs

I totally agree with Your Assessment .

Narper 2019-03-11 16:33:36 

Looks Dr Fuad Khan is seeing a losing war against obesity in T&T...so he is choosing to not sugar coat his message anymore.Those were harsh chilling words for the lady there.
Dr Khan has been on this obesity cause for many many years now...especially childhood obesity.

But good should come from this episode and the debates which follow....important thing is people are talking and even cussing.

People must be aware fat shaming is wrong
And obesity is a disease with serious health consequences.

Trinidave 2019-03-11 16:46:26 

Did TriniD miss someting? Did de big chick ever say dat she was healthy and that other people should aspire to be like her, or imitate her lack of health?

All she said, and correctly so, is dat she should not be shamed for playing mas. Dat is all. Should fat people just go hide in ah corner until dey reach some ideal weight?

So because she is fat, she should be publicly shamed for playing mas?

Faud said obesity is ah disease. So people with diseases, such has high cholesterol should not play mas? Or is it just dat dey could play mas, but just accept it when arsholes like him make fun of then for having high cholesterrol?

And by de way, tellin fat people to stop eating is not ah cure for obesity, in de same way dat telling people with Bulimia to eat and not throw up.

Faud Khan is ah giant Skunt. TriniD sey suh!

black 2019-03-11 16:50:32 

In reply to Trinidave

Well said.

BeatDball 2019-03-11 19:06:27 

In reply to bravos Dr FK is a badjohn! Of course, windians can be bluntly honest!

razz

Narper 2019-03-11 21:55:55 

For­mer Health Min­is­ter Dr Fuad Khan is stand­ing be­hind the mes­sage he com­mu­ni­cat­ed to plus-sized mas­quer­ad­er Can­dice San­tana on Fri­day when he called her out for be­ing obese and over­weight, as he again urged her to get fit and healthy.

While he is ready to apol­o­gise for the “harsh tone and some strong words” used dur­ing the two and a half minute long video he post­ed on so­cial me­dia on the is­sue, Khan yes­ter­day stood by the “the sub­stance of the state­ments.”

limk

Trinidave 2019-03-11 22:47:58 

In reply to DAVE400

Sometimes you have to discard political correctness

Again. TriniD doh understand. All she said is that she wanted to play mas without being shamed for doing so. Is it wrong for obese people to play mas? Is it okay to be nasty to people because dey are fat?

But den again, TriniD see de man wearing Trump attire, so obviously logic he missing screws.

Like TriniD said before. Doc Minister is ah level skunt.

Tryangle 2019-03-12 09:37:26 

The man referred to her looking like a "tub" and want to take a 'nothing personal' stance? Good luck to him.

goofballs 2019-03-12 10:00:39 

In reply to Trinidave,POINT, Black

I was about to leave this shit hole issue redface as most/many here condoned the action of the savage who chose upon himself to publicly humiliate and verbally assault a person, a lady at that, because of her external appearance. He did it in a brutal way like a hound dog smelling raw flesh or a crude street woman taking off on somebody in a brawl, going for the jugular.
Bully!
Regardless what anyone here says, basic manners, humanity and respect would prevent any human with a shred of decency or civilization from aggressively chewing out the lady for being obese, or use her as the subject of ridicule to push their agenda.
That is abuse.
I understand he is a doctah? Wellt well, well! Musbee a witch doctah.
He was a street fighter, totally crude and unprofessional.
A physician has no right to abuse or humiliate anyone, even his patient in private, because of health issues or life style. You never educate like that anyhow, have no right or duty to abuse.
It is a crime.

In fact I know of many jurisdictions where that behavior would result in severe disciplinary actions, including possible suspension of license.

Yet many here in the peanut gallery cheer him on!
This is just like some primitive ones who measure their greatness or smarts by the length of their pee or penis. Savagery!

The lady was an easy target for the primitive bully.
Somebody should file a complaint with the Medical Board about his unprofessional conduct, unbefitting a physician much less an ordinary man and contrary to the spirit of humanity.
I bet he wouldn't try that with a guy half her size even, because cutlass would fly or he would be taken down by a right left combination followed by a left hook. That's how this savagery makes some people here feel and react.

Look at the other side. This young lady, probably fighting obesity (probably genetic) all her life is very active. She did not let the abuses doled out by the primitive savages through her life affect her. She is full of optimism, energy and was ready to go play mass.
Can't accuse her of being a victim or not trying.
I lost 10 lbs once at Carnival!!

How many allyuh couch potatoes can do that?

goofballs 2019-03-12 10:06:43 

In reply to goofballs

Now they say he is an ex Minister?
How come he didn't publicly educate people through the media, school education, etc. He had all the resources at his fingertip
but
he had to seek out a ripe and plump victim who apparently has the decency of a lady to not get pulled into his filthy environment of thoughts and acts.

Trinidave 2019-03-12 10:45:11 

In reply to goofballs

Everyting you said bruh! Every-facting-ting.

goofballs 2019-03-12 11:39:11 

In reply to Trinidave

Thanks! You gave me renewed faith in mankind.
Not that I needed validation, but when you are standing alone against a herd gone wild ready to stampede you, it is better to leave that shit hole.
No POINT in arguing.
The herd feels it is that way and anyone else with different (right) view is considered mad.
Regarding obesity. It needs to be fought but not using that bubbly girl as a guinea pig for abuse.