The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

IS DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME STILL NECESSARY?

Emir 2019-03-09 18:24:18 

Discuss

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-03-09 18:28:50 

In reply to Emir

Depends on your latitude.
NY..yes
FL ...no

But that will create more time zones in the same longitudinal pie

Tryangle 2019-03-09 19:37:03 

I like it myself, although I wonder if some jurisdictions would benefit from a permanent DST (or permanently sticking with their regular time zone.

Emir 2019-03-10 10:00:51 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

FL and California wants to do away with DST, but the Congress must approve.

Emir 2019-03-10 10:02:32 

In reply to Tryangle

In the Northeast, if DST were to end, children will go to school in the dark.

Dukes 2019-03-10 10:09:32 

I am always amused when people express strong opinions on matters they have not studied and which they have huge information deficits in.

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-03-10 10:18:46 

In reply to Emir

Most floridians wants and voted to get rid of it.

Now the feds will decide or give the final approval.

Now we have an amused bush doctor who has knowledge on everyone.

Every mf wants to be a renaissance man.

Dukes 2019-03-10 10:22:10 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

U SEE ME state any opinion on this matter?
I know my limitations

CITYBOY 2019-03-10 10:43:43 

Hola.... a day still has 24 hours...daylight means nothing to those who wake up at 11 am...
as the Dukes says..no opinion..matter of preference..
24 hours in a day...never changes...

Adios
Cb

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-03-10 10:54:38 

In reply to CITYBOY

23 hours and 56 min wink

Jane and Finch still cold?

Brace for another winter storm

Emir 2019-03-10 11:55:48 

In reply to Dukes

But you alluded too- as your assumption was implicit, that a person must be an expert on a matter, or have high knowledge in order to have or to voice an opinion, even one that is scientifically trivial as DST.

That is ole school Caribbean thinking- those who are steep in those rotten colonial mores, albeit unwittingly so. wink

Dukes 2019-03-10 12:22:26 

In reply to Emir

The problem with DST is there are a myriad of things to consider some pro some con and I have not taken the time to study the issues and am fairly certain that few people who are willing to comment have either.DA IS ALL.

I know about 4 things and I have strong opinions on them.Anything else I am shooting the breeze.

CITYBOY 2019-03-10 14:01:13 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

Hola...Danny boy is wha wrang wid you???Jane and Finch hot ta rass...lots of bullets flying...

Run or duck...
Adios
Cb

CITYBOY 2019-03-10 14:05:55 

Hola...farmers want DST...children love DST...those that go to the park after a hard days work to do a bit of BBq and chill with the family love DST...
In the Norhern Climes summer is short and we have to utilise the DST to our advantage.
I think DST should be moved 2 hours ahead and not one..we with outhouses up North would like to poo in the dark...everything has aspin on it...it is how you look at it
Adios
CB

mikesiva 2019-03-10 14:17:08 

In reply to Emir

In England. ...no.

Japan has never had daylight savings time, and they were just fine.

They are still fine.

My son enjoys the fact that he doesn't have to change his clocks. And his Japanese girlfriend comes from a family of farmers and they are doing just fine.

Tryangle 2019-03-11 08:17:22 

In reply to mikesiva

Isn't it China that goes that next step and has one single time zone across the country? Must make for some interesting commutes depending on what part of the country you're in.

RemainsUnknown 2019-03-11 09:41:37 

In reply to CITYBOY

I think DST should be moved 2 hours ahead and not one..
sign me up. cool cool

nitro 2019-03-11 14:39:32 

President Trump apparently is tired of switching clocks just like everyone else.

Coming off a universally sleep-deprived weekend during which America set the clocks to spring forward an hour, Trump tweeted that he's “O.K.” with making Daylight Saving Time “permanent” -- in other words, enough with the clock changing.

“Making Daylight Saving Time permanent is O.K. w

StumpCam 2019-03-11 14:47:45 

In reply to mikesiva

My son enjoys the fact that he doesn't have to change his clocks.

So your son have a problem changing his clock TWICE a year????
That must be an arduous task!
Reality stranger than fiction! lol lol

Runs 2019-03-11 15:10:37 

In reply to Dukes

I am always amused when people express strong opinions on matters they have not studied and which they have huge information deficits in.

Dunning-Kruger effect.

mikesiva 2019-03-11 15:30:14 

In reply to StumpCam

Why change it if you don't have to? That's Japan's philosophy, and it works for them...they've functioned just fine without DST.
smile
Spring time is the difficult time, when you get one hour less sleep than you normally do. It's more challenging going to work and school that first Monday after the clocks are changed, because lots of folks get a little less sleep than they had before.

Studies in the UK have shown that the number of fatal car accidents and the number of heart attacks increase the first Monday after the clocks spring forward.

Why put the clocks forward if there's very little benefit to it?
cool
Either make DST permanent, or stick with Greenwich Mean Time, I say.

StumpCam 2019-03-11 16:21:49 

In reply to mikesiva

Like Citi Boy said, people need the extra sunlight in the evening to recreate.
That works for me! I have no problem adjusting. I really don’t see it as a big deal, but that’s just me! wink

Emir 2019-03-11 16:30:24 

In reply to mikesiva

I agree

XFactor 2019-03-11 16:47:37 

lots of benefits to daylight savings time. It's a relief for those suffering from seasonal disorder, lots more time in the evenings for cricket or your fav past-time.

Emir 2019-03-12 10:37:33 

In reply to XFactor

"lots more time"?

"Relief for seasonal disorder?

Explain

RemainsUnknown 2019-03-12 10:51:07 

In reply to StumpCam

Like Citi Boy said, people need the extra sunlight in the evening to recreate.
That works for me! I have no problem adjusting. I really don’t see it as a big deal, but that’s just me! wink
Same here bro. For once we agree on something. lol lol

I don't understand how most people lose sleep. I can understand some (under certain circumstances, work, etc), but most?

Just go to bed an hour earlier that night or sleep an hour later that Sunday morning, then things are back to normal the next day with an "extra" hour of daylight. Like I said, I would take 2 hours of extra daylight in the evening if that means moving it forward 2 hours.

Anyway, since it's not something under my control, I'm not gonna fight it, I just plan accordingly like I have done for decades. That's all. cool cool cool

Matter of fact, I went to the park after work yes'day and chill for that extra hour of daylight... it was great watching the birds seemingly have fun diving into the lake, then as the sun went down.. I took off. cool cool cool

Ayenmol 2019-03-12 10:52:07 

First of, it`s Daylight Saving Time!

Second, most people do not understand what it means. Case in point, the movement across the US is not that it should be abolished, rather, that it be year round.

There are far more positives to Daylight Saving Time than negatives. Inconvenience of changing a clock twice a year is insignificant. Particularly when smart devices, computers, atomic clocks etc etc does it for you!