The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Eureka guys!!!

steveo 2019-03-13 14:37:42 

Now this might be as great as the monks discovering champagne, if not greater!!

The other day I was making sorrel, and I left a bottle sealed in my fridge and turned if off. Long story.

Anyway 1 week later upon opening the fridge and checking the sorrel, it had a different taste, a better taste, wine like...

I have discovered SORREL WINE!!!!

Now, I know you would say I am foolish to share this treasure of knowledge with you, but I am a generous guy

Go forth and share the news my brethren, for I have made sorrel into wine!

Ayenmol 2019-03-13 14:43:46 

In reply to steveo

Um, wine in 1 week? Eureka indeed.

Any stomach issues yet?

Did tou have it tested for alcohol content?

Any petri dish test?

When did you taste it? How much did you drink?

black 2019-03-13 14:46:00 

In reply to steveo

I don't think you came up with anything special. The reason why people have not turned sorrel into wine is because they enjoy the distinct flavor of sorrel drink. But, I would think that it could be turned into wine.

camos 2019-03-13 14:51:33 

In reply to steveo

sorry bro! people have fermented the stuff for years now, remember widespread refrigeration is only about 50 years.

nick2020 2019-03-13 15:05:23 

In reply to steveo

lol

steveo 2019-03-13 15:33:29 

In reply to Ayenmol

Um, wine in 1 week? Eureka indeed.

Yes, I am amazed myself

Any stomach issues yet?

Not anything out of the ordinary, in fact I [strike]poisoned[/strike] served to several guests to quite the acclaim!

When did you taste it? How much did you drink?
Liters

steveo 2019-03-13 15:34:02 

In reply to camos

sorry bro! people have fermented the stuff for years now, remember widespread refrigeration is only about 50 years.

Hater

steveo 2019-03-13 15:34:43 

In reply to black

I don't think you came up with anything special. The reason why people have not turned sorrel into wine is because they enjoy the distinct flavor of sorrel drink. But, I would think that it could be turned into wine.

Do you want a taste?

Ayenmol 2019-03-13 15:36:27 

In reply to steveo

Where you get yours from? My wife got some last time she went down to Orlando.

We made the last of it couple weeks back and i ordered some for the first time from Amazon...made half of a one pound bag. Taste fine, but i thought the yield was not as much as i would like.

Ninetenjack 2019-03-13 15:39:01 

In reply to steveo

I have discovered SORREL WINE!!!!

Cha! You never hear the children story by Louise Bennett how sorrel got its name.

....When Anancy throw the Sorrel in a pot of boiling water and it turn red he exclaimed, "you look so red like real wine, how yah so real, so real, so real and in true Jamaican fashion so real turn "Sorrel" big grin

DAVE400 2019-03-13 16:16:26 

In reply to steveo

Bro...we have sorrel wine in Trinidad years now...

We also have hibiscus wine...I kid you not.

black 2019-03-13 16:51:21 

In reply to steveo

Do you want a taste?

Nope. If I can't buy it at Wal-Mart, I'm not drinking it.

Ayenmol 2019-03-13 16:54:20 

In reply to black

Nope. If I can't buy it at Wal-Mart, I'm not drinking it.

This from a man on a Caribbean website claiming to be of the Caribbean!

How ignant is that!??

camos 2019-03-13 17:08:38 

In reply to DAVE400

Hibiscus is part of the scientific name for sorrel, in most commercial products it is referred to as hibiscus.

black 2019-03-13 17:10:21 

In reply to Ayenmol

A cult in the guise of a sanct of Christianity that uses brainwashing techniques to control the weak-minded, claiming to be the true prophetof God in their Watch Tower/Propaganda magazine. They don't celebrate holidays or even their own birthdays, and are discouraged from post-secondary education (i.e. college / university). This, obviously, is to leave future generations without the capacity to actually think and do a little research before they commit their lives to this mockery of a religion. 

It's hard to believe that people still join this cult, which claims to be the true prophet of God, despite having falsely predicted the apocalypse at least six times since 1914. They have also changed their interpretations of the Bible and their doctrines, and sometimes even changed them back to what they read originally, and then back to the revised ones again, and (albeit rarely) back again to the original. What kind of prophet would be so indecisive? 

The cult was started by someone who knew nothing of religious doctrine, and nothing of the original languages of the Bible. They claim that their translation is the one true translation, and that all others are the work of Satan. 

They believe that governments are the work of Satan, and therefore do not vote, or even stand for their country's national anthem. They are also forbidden to salute their nation's flag. The Jehovah's Witness associated with Hitler against the Jewish people, and of course deny it. They also publicly renounce the United Nations, although secretly they had a strong relationship with the UN, but that was over as soon as the public found out. 

And last but certainly not least, their widely criticized denial of accepting blood transfusions is the source of the most controversy. It isn't enough for the higher members of the cult who are aware of the fact that it is a cult to lead weak-minded people along a false spiritual path; they cause the deaths of so many people, especially children. Of course the children don't want the transfusions, they've been taught their whole lives that it is wrong by their parents. But the whole idea that “eating blood” is the same as a blood transfusion is ridiculous. The “don’t eat blood” scripture is the basis of the Jewish peoples’ Kosher laws. It’s one thing for a person of a mature age to condemn one’s self to death, but when a child is brainwashed his whole life into believing something ridiculous without knowing all the facts, that can never be justified by any scripture in any Holy text. 

An eight year old girl, with her whole life ahead of her, was condemned to death the day her parents became members of the Jehovah's Witness cult. Had she recieved a simple blood transfusion, she would have survived. Had her parents not kidnapped her from the hospital to avoid the transfusion, she would have lived a long and happy life.

Not ignant enough to follow this BS.

bravos 2019-03-13 17:13:27 

In reply to steveo

One of the most Common local fruit wines in T&T since it's discovery by Trini homo-erectus.. smile

Ayenmol 2019-03-13 17:18:41 

In reply to black

Blood conservation techniques not only improve the management of a patient's blood, but also reduce reliance and associated costs on regional and national blood supplies
Pennsylvania Hospital's Center for Transfusion-Free Medicine has been at the forefront of bloodless medicine and surgery for almost two decades, recognizing that blood transfusion alternatives provide benefits to patients and assist with blood conservation efforts.

Educate yourself.

Patients who choose bloodless medicine often experience positive outcomes through:

Faster healing times

Faster recovery times

Fewer reactions from blood stored for a longer period of time

Less chance of infections

No risks from receiving the wrong blood in error

Ayenmol 2019-03-13 17:23:01 

I thought you believed in current Science?

The use of blood in medicine has been a copout!

But of course you choose to ignore science when it does not suit your narrative!

DAVE400 2019-03-13 17:24:58 

In reply to camos

In this case is a differentiation...separate and apart from the traditional sorrel.

Ayenmol 2019-03-13 17:34:31 

I can go 9n and on.

Scientists and doctors are starting to see the benefits of Blood alternatives in medicine.

While these are not the reason we do not take Blood it has more often than not resulted in better health for us.

Plus we are convinced that this is not the real life!

Therefore, why break God's laws on blood for a chance one might live a few more years?

Your mind tells you that is insane...but you are the one who claims repeatedly that you do what you want with your life, then you want to insist i do what you want with mine and mine.

Hypocrite!

Of course you will find some sensationalized story to try and attack me because you feel agrieved.

Shameful!

All that because people question why you spend so much time on the MB,

Go work on your values and quit worrying about ours!

We are doi g just fine.

Ayenmol 2019-03-13 17:36:45 

In reply to camos

Hibiscus is part of the scientific name for sorrel, in most commercial products it is referred to as hibiscus.

That is primarily the name used on Amazon.

steveo 2019-03-13 18:25:56 

In reply to Ninetenjack

lol lol lol

steveo 2019-03-13 19:27:07 

In reply to Ayenmol

Where you get yours from? My wife got some last time she went down to Orlando.

We made the last of it couple weeks back and i ordered some for the first time from Amazon...made half of a one pound bag. Taste fine, but i thought the yield was not as much as i would like.

Its packaged in Guyana but I believe its Jamaican sorrel. Comes packaged with bay leaves, cloves and cinnamon spice. Brand is Taste Setter.

I used to grow my own, but trees died out

steveo 2019-03-13 19:28:44 

In reply to DAVE400

Bro...we have sorrel wine in Trinidad years now...

After I made it, I searched on the net for "sorrel wine" and the first thing that came up was the picture of a Hibiscus flower with the title "Sorrel Wine".

How does that taste?

steveo 2019-03-13 19:30:28 

In reply to bravos

One of the most Common local fruit wines in T&T since it's discovery by Trini homo-erectus..

Trini erect penis? impressive shock

openning 2019-03-13 19:42:41 

In reply to Ayenmol

That could be sorrel nouveau, without fermentation.
It usually take the French, 6-8 weeks for Beaujolais Nouveau, but Steveo used the fridge, no yeast to turn Sorrel into wine. lol lol lol

Ayenmol 2019-03-13 21:33:38 

In reply to openning

The man say he drank liters, taste good and no ill effects...bottom's up.

Been drinking alot of sorrel lately and one Amazon vender has a subscription service which allows you to have them sent automatically every 3 months, you simply choose the quantity!

Unlike some people, i am going back to basics and doing it myself...3-4 gallons of a natural drink filled with antioxidants for about 15 bucks?

Yes please!

openning 2019-03-13 23:29:14 

In reply to Ayenmol
I have not tried Sorrel since I was a tot, from my friends home.
Once my mom disliked something, it would not be in her home.

sudden 2019-03-14 07:07:48 

In reply to steveo

i have some time at the moment. describe the exact process again. i will give it a try and report back.

sounds v interesting

steveo 2019-03-14 08:38:39 

In reply to sudden

i have some time at the moment. describe the exact process again. i will give it a try and report back.

sounds v interesting

Make the sorrel as usual, for me it goes like this:
Put pot on stove, around 4-5 pints water, add few cloves, 1/2 stick spice, a bay leaf or two
After water approaches boiling, turn off stove and add 1/2 lb dried sorrel, stir and left overnight to "draw"
Strain, the resulting brew is usually too strong, I dilute with additional water, sugar to taste

To be honest, we are not going for full wine, but a kind of fermented taste

So put some of that mixture into a sealed container, I reuse 2 liter soda bottles and store in a dark location
After about 3 days the taste will begin to change into a deeper more wine like taste.

I dont know about making wine, but I suppose the longer you leave it, the stronger it will be

Also, a nasty bit of surf gathers to the top, get rid of that

Enjoy, if with a nice European figure, even better

sudden 2019-03-14 08:41:51 

In reply to steveo

so you store it after preparing it like normal sorrel. you dont add yeast or anything to preserve it like a lil rum or falernum?

steveo 2019-03-14 08:46:20 

In reply to sudden

so you store it after preparing it like normal sorrel. you dont add yeast or anything to preserve it like a lil rum or falernum?

No bro, no yeast, but give experiment with a bit and let us know

My discovery was an accident, after googling later, I found out that works for making sorrel wine

sudden 2019-03-14 08:52:14 

In reply to steveo

cool. will post my findings if i survive

nick2020 2019-03-14 08:55:03 

In reply to sudden

I thought you were a teetotaler?

sudden 2019-03-14 08:57:00 

In reply to nick2020

nah man i am a sipper. i have a nice collection of single malts which i sip with certain company and cheap rum fuh Powen and dem suh big grin

tops 2019-03-14 09:18:18 

In reply to sudden
"i have a nice collection of single malts which i sip with certain company"
I'm impress! I thought U only spend yr cash on Xpensive dogs... big grin

sudden 2019-03-14 09:25:10 

In reply to tops

I dun wid dat designer dog ting from the time i divorced the first wife. you talking about the bichon frise right? that was a bad experience man

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 09:36:44 

Most people i know boil the sepals for 10 to 15 minutes and simmer for another 30 or so....what is being describes sounds more like the Americans who use it for tea.

Where Chrissy at?

She doh make sorrel?