The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Exaggerated sayings

black 2019-03-14 09:23:51 

I am talking about sayings that convey a certain meaning but with a little exaggeration.

Example: That b**ch is so good, she could suck a golf ball through a straw. lol

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 09:33:02 

It's called hyperbole.

black 2019-03-14 09:56:24 

In reply to Ayenmol

Thanks.

black 2019-03-14 09:57:44 

Have you heard this one?

I'm going to break my foot off in your ass. lol

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 10:02:24 

In reply to black

Yeah...usually uttured by keyboard warriors, when emasculated by facts.

Or tuth.

Or reason.

Or for some, just about any push back results in a vengeful rage.

bravos 2019-03-14 10:41:18 

In reply to black

It's called hyperbole

The bible fulla dem...

black 2019-03-14 10:50:32 

In reply to bravos

lol lol lol

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 11:01:44 

In reply to bravos

Example?

Let's beat this dead horse again...because, emasculated....

pelon 2019-03-14 11:48:38 

EXHIBIT A:

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God

EXHIBIT B:Homey Jesus
The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his field. It is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is larger than all the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches.

SIDENOTE: Mustard Seed is NOT the smallest seed, but Jesus gets a pass.

And for fun let us compare:
EXHIBIT C:
“You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.” (Matt. 23:24)

to today's drivel from Black
"That b**ch is so good, she could suck a golf ball through a straw."

BOTH are figures of speech... both dealing with the impossible act of a. swallowing a camel and b. sucking a golf ball...
But you want to pretend you alone know the Bible because... well... the rest of us are fools. Carry on smartly.

Do you really want to suggest the authors of the Bible did not delve into hyperbole.

sudden 2019-03-14 11:54:18 

In reply to pelon

boy luk wuh you gone an do big grin

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 11:59:57 

In reply to pelon

Um...who said that the Bible does not use hyperbole?

Hyperbole is an effective teaching tool.

All i did was provide the man the proper term for what he was describing. And the obvious fact that he does not realize it is a well accepted and understood teaching tool as he was endeavoring to present it as a new thought!

As to Bravos my point was that he was simplly regurgitating what he heard and not speaking from knowledge.

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 12:01:33 

In reply to sudden

What did he do? State the obvious?

Or are you mesmerized because it is new to you?

Or believe i am not aware?

Speak for yourself.

pelon 2019-03-14 12:03:52 

In reply to Ayenmol

Example?
Let's beat this dead horse again...because, emasculated....

Don't be a jackass. That post by you suggest no example could be found.

You think you alone read the bible here???? my "Exhibit C" above is a perfect comparison of exaggeration for effect...

your "let us beat this dead horse" (also hyperbole) suggest no example existed. You can't play games with me boss.

black 2019-03-14 12:05:54 

In reply to Ayenmol

All i did was provide the man the proper term for what he was describing. And the obvious fact that he does not realize it is a well accepted and understood teaching tool as he was endeavoring to present it as a new thought!

Why do you always make up your own facts?

Who said it was not well accepted?

And yes, I am familiar with the term hyperbole.  

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 12:06:45 

By the way...the mustard seed was the smallest seed known to the audience Jesus was speaking to.

He was not trying to point out how knowledgeable he was and go above the heads of those he was speaking to, but seeking to ensure they get the point of his anology...

Speakers are aware of this...know your audience.

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 12:09:04 

In reply to black

And yes, I am familiar with the term hyperbole.

So why did'nt you use the proper term?

Am not gonna bother going down that rabbit hole...if i had let ot play out, i woulda been proven right and you woulda still denied it, so...

Whatever you say...

bravos 2019-03-14 12:09:53 

In reply to pelon

I thought at least he would have known the one with the camel..

Bible thumpers know the bible the least..

They're basically dishonest and deluded salesmen..

pelon 2019-03-14 12:10:37 

In reply to Ayenmol

By the way...the mustard seed was the smallest seed known to the audience Jesus was speaking to.

Yes, I agree Jesus was wrong - because of the unknown. As such, you accept that the utterance of "the son of god" could be wrong....

Do you play chess?

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 12:12:36 

In reply to pelon

Really? Are you aware of discussions i have with this guy where he makes blind sweeping statements of the Bible, while claiming he has read it multiple times?

Why you think am so aware of the term?

You want me to provide you with articles from the Watchrower and Awake that speak to these very facts?

I know you all are upset with my constantly being proven right and your desperation to knock me down a peg...but.

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 12:16:35 

In reply to bravos

Bible thumpers know the bible the least..

Meaning you know the Bible better than me...thanks for proving my point!

Yet pelon had to point it out 47 minutes after my post.

If you were so aware why were you unable to come back with the example?

My point exactly.

black 2019-03-14 12:23:01 

In reply to pelon

The people in the bible only spoke of what they knew at that time. I am willing to bet, most of the world (at that time) had never seen a camel.

That is why a lot of things in the bible today don't make a lot of sense.

pelon 2019-03-14 12:28:37 

In reply to Ayenmol

Today, you posted that Jesus made a statement that was not factual. You excused it by stating: "he did not know" - which we accept. However, in the long game of chess, you made the weakest possible play, set up and delivered to you on a silver platter (please note the use hyperbole here).

It was too easy.

smile smile

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 12:38:45 

In reply to pelon

Hyperbole is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally. Hyperboles are exaggerations to create emphasis or effect.

You think you alone read the bible here???? my "Exhibit C" above is a perfect comparison of exaggeration for effect...

your "let us beat this dead horse" (also hyperbole) suggest no example existed. You can't play games with me boss.

I have never said such, i never implied such.

Easy to tell though when someone claims they have knowledge of a subject when it is obvious they do not.

I am well aware of the hyperbole used in the Bible. And the fact that am able to identify hyperbole so quickly indicates am able to do so when reading the scriptures.

So ypu think i donxt read the Bible?

Because i know the myth here is that am a fanatic and a Bible thumper, because i invoke the scriptures when discussing subjects.

Any Biblical discussions i have had here has been in response to an attack by someone else!

So it seems that you want to want to have your cake and eat it to...

Claim i am Biblically illiterate when it suits you.
And am a fanatic when it suits you.

Can't have it both ways. Whenever there is a discussion i encourage people to read the Bible themselves.

I do not engage in am better than you or read the Bible more than anyone, talk.

Most people here are upset becauee i use my Bible trained conscience when dealing with issues.

They want to speak from their knowledge and experience freely in discussion. Then curse me out when i do the same because, apparently, am supposed to separate my Religion and conscience from my reasoning, since it makes them uncomfortable.

The dead horse is the stance of Bravos and others here who attack my belief in the Bible.

Not what thd Bible contains!

If i am able to refute the misguided post regarding how the Bible hates women and view them as unclean.
Hyperbole is easy.

But i always ask them to post the example first....and it always takes hours for a reply if ever....why?

Because it is not based on knowledge but hateful attack.

Nothing new.

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 12:58:06 

In reply to pelon

Today, you posted that Jesus made a statement that was not factual. You excused it by stating: "he did not know" - which we accept.

First of all. You are reaching. I never said "he did not know". Which you put in quotes which is a straight lie!

I said the smallest seed known to the AUDIENCE he was talking to...so do you not understand the meaning of quotation marks/ Or are you lying to try and make a failed point?

Plus hyperbole when used in teaching is directed at your AUDIENCE, not you. Speakers are well aware, like I said earlier, that effective teaching targets the ability of your audience to quickly get the point for which you are using the figure of speech!

Otherwise you lose the audience and are worse off.

But you are implying that Jesus was unaware of smaller seeds.

That is your perogative. I am well aware of that argument and it has been used many times. But the fact is it was used as a figure of speech not a statement of fact...and the fact that in trying to make that point you lie about something I did not say speake to your own dishonesty in such a little thing.

pelon 2019-03-14 13:10:02 

In reply to Ayenmol

He was not trying to point out how knowledgeable he was and go above the heads of those he was speaking to, but seeking to ensure they get the point of his anology...

Jesus said: "It is the smallest of all seeds"

I give you a choice:

a. he lied (he knew better)
b. he did not know at the time it was NOT the smallest seed, and an honest mistake.
c. he knew, but because of audience, he said it was the smallest seed of all seeds.

From there, spin your BS.

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 13:19:32 

In reply to pelon

I guess you have problems with understanding the written word.

Which one of your above reasons is in harmony with hyperbole/

And i have actually directly mentioned multiple times?

Or you trying to beat a dead horse because you yhink this is the jewel that renders the Bible mute that no one else has been able to discover?

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 13:22:42 

19:24
easier for a camel to get through a needle’s eye: Jesus is using hyperbole to illustrate a point. Just as a literal camel cannot go through the eye of an actual sewing needle, it is impossible for a rich man to enter the Kingdom if he continues to put his riches ahead of his relationship with Jehovah. Jesus did not mean that no wealthy person would inherit the Kingdom, for he went on to say: “With God all things are possible.”​—Mt 19:26.

This is from our Study Bible.

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 13:32:00 

48“I am the bread of life.49Your forefathers ate the manna in the wilderness and yet they died.50This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that anyone may eat of it and not die.51I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread he will live forever; and for a fact, the bread that I will give is my flesh in behalf of the life of the world.”52Then the Jews began to argue with one another, saying: “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”53So Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in yourselves.54Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I will resurrect him on the last day;55for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink.56Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in union with me, and I in union with him.

66Because of this, many of his disciples went off to the things behind and would no longer walk with him.67So Jesus said to the Twelve: “You do not want to go also, do you?”

Was Jesus lying here?

Was he promoting canibalism?

Or was it a figure of speech used to make a more salient point?

pelon 2019-03-14 13:40:50 

In reply to Ayenmol

While you did indeed spin and spin and spin your BS, I will re-post, as you try desperately to recover....

Jesus said: "It is the smallest of all seeds"

I give you a choice:

a. he lied (he knew better)
b. he did not know at the time it was NOT the smallest seed, and an honest mistake.
c. he knew, but because of audience, he said it was the smallest seed of all seeds.

Can you answer to the choice given??

While you spin your bread/flesh bullshit, it will not work in a quantitative statement such as "SMALLEST OF ALL".

For example: 'my cup overflows' is different to 'i have the largest cup of all cups and it has overflowed'. One is an outright metaphor, the other is a quantitative statement with a metaphor.

Please, as you attempt to skirt the issue, if your Elders said the Toyota Prius is the fastest of all cars... would you accept it as fact? Would it be RIGHT to tell the congregation this untruth?

Do not compare quantitative speech with all other speech - out of your own convenience.

You carry on.

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 13:44:44 

You see.

People like to look at the cons and not the pros.

They speak out of both sides of their mouth.

On the one hand they curse you for living by Bible principles....on the other hand they want to claim you don't have knowledge.

Like the people who attack me about going from house to house....then pop a question and claim i am unaware of it!

Like someone who plays a war game as a sniper telling Chris Kyle that he does not understand the principles of being a sniper.

How can you make fun of me for going from house to house then claim i am not aware of X issue that you most likely learned on the internet?

You think you are the only one?

You think we do not daily face Pastors, Ministers, Governmental officials, professors etc etc etc? You think we do not hear it all/ Face to face?

I mean its like you all just blind your minds to what happens when people expose themselves to the Public.

We hear it all, and give a Witness to all!

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 13:45:55 

In reply to pelon

futile.

You found a dead horse and now, as i said earlier you beating it to the bone while talking about the use of hyperbole.

Argue with yourself.

Now you understand what i meant to Bravos?

If you are so aware of this point why are you now bringing it up and acting like the entire origin of Jesus rest on it?

Is it so farfetched to believe that Jesus used as emphasis to teach people in his day, ideas they were familiar with?

pelon 2019-03-14 13:53:25 

In reply to Ayenmol

It is plain to see you have no real defense to the "smallest of all seeds" nor an actual (focused) response, instead you deflect..... but thank you for your time.

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 13:58:49 

In reply to pelon

No it is plain to see you just learned this and are fixated on it while ignoring the obvious....You are seeking a sign where there is none!

You are using a teaching lesson to claim a scientific blunder.

I gave you another instance where Jesus uses a thought that is in opposition to what the Bible itself says on it's surface that illustrates that for Teaching purposes Jesus used used items that were contrary to what you would expect!

But you have learned a new thought and you, like a rabid dog will not let go because it bolsters your already held belief!

Futile....so you will keep believing what you do. and i what i do....live long and prosper.

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 14:02:42 

Just imagine...you come here claiming I do not understand hyperbole...now you are seeking to take hyperbole as fact!

Cyah make this stuff up!

pelon 2019-03-14 14:13:39 

In reply to Ayenmol

You still side-shifting? Sad.

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 14:31:42 

In reply to pelon

side shifting what?

nick2020 2019-03-14 16:05:24 

In reply to pelon

You clearly had some down time lol

The Bible came up with a concept of an Ark that housed everything on the planet.

Be thankful Ayenmol isn't SDA. They literally hang on to every word in the good book. Much like Ayenmol. But I believe he still eats pork and drinks alcohol. lol

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 16:32:31 

In reply to nick2020

Most of what the Bible says is written in parabbels.

But this is not the case here. This is a teacher using a well known subject to drive a point home. He was not educating them on what the smallest seed on the Earth was but drawing a paralell between the smallest seed they know and what it becomes as it relates to faith.

Any well meaning person can frasp that!

Of course if i were to use the scripture where the Bible deliberately touches on Science they dismiss that...

16 Your eyes even saw me as an embryo; All its parts were written in your book Regarding the days when they were formed, Before any of them existed.

Centuries later this proved to be accurate in describing the Human cell and DNA....but they will tell you coincidence!

There is One who dwells above the circle of the earth,And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers. He is stretching out the heavens like a fine gauze,And he spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.

Another...A time when no one was arguing the Earth is spherical....Let him explain that....Is that not way more significant than playing gotcha with an obvious teaching tool for emphasis?

Is it by your understanding that the falcon soars,Spreading its wings to the south? 27 Or is it at your order that an eagle flies upwardAnd builds its nest high up,28 Spending the night on a cliff,Dwelling in its stronghold on a rocky crag? 29 From there it searches for food;Its eyes look far into the distance.

Or here where every statement made speaks of physics that were discovered years later? Like how falcons use the thermals to soar and not the flapping of their wings....Or the eyesight of the Eagle...How ot spots it's prey from it's very high perch?

This was not hyperbole...this was Jehovah actually extolling his Creative works....find here where he was wrong....

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 16:36:32 

But they ignore these while dwelling on figures of speech and teaching tools that were not meant to educate on undiscovered fact.
What would have happened if Jesus had mentioned the real smallest seed?

Which one of them would grasp his point?

They would have called him mad and further distracted from his message!

bravos 2019-03-14 17:42:19 

In reply to Ayenmol

now you getting me fucking angry I wanted someone else to post it idiot..

Some posters use their brain and have tact etiquette amd strategy,setting the stage for a poster like pelon to endorse your position is much more valuable..

I know everything about the bible that's why its a joke to me.

Get to know your Bible son..

bravos 2019-03-14 17:48:16 

Meaning you know the Bible better than me...thanks for proving my point!

Yet pelon had to point it out 47 minutes after my post.

If you were so aware why were you unable to come back with the example?

And because I have a business,5 sons,a nice wifey,2 Huskys and a whole heap a birds to tend..

bravos 2019-03-14 17:55:46 

In reply to pelon

You talking about Prius an ting bro,had it been left to them we would still be on mules and chariots at best..and Jesus would've cometh again in some other barren land and the even newer testament would be already out..

Thank God for technology and communication etc..

Man died of his teeth in child birth and crawled on his belly in pain and diseases to where we are today, with no favors from
the god of bible, the bible wasn't even aware of earlier struggles... .

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 18:17:11 

In reply to bravos

Man you can get upset all you want. It is your personality.

Nothing you just said makes any sense.

You are right...thank God for communication and tech...the laws he put into place makes it possible....mankind discovers, man does not create!

bravos 2019-03-14 18:22:44 

In reply to Ayenmol

You are right...

thank God for communication and tech

It's called hyperbole.. redface

bravos 2019-03-14 18:24:22 

And that's called full circle.

Goodbye Ayenmol.

Ayenmol 2019-03-14 18:33:15 

In reply to bravos

No it's called insanity.

I cannot fathom why you are so inclined to be so upset.

You denigrate my God and my beliefs!

You swear at me.

Express hurtful desires towards me.

Yet i pose no threat to you. I will never ever meet you in real life.

You aspire to see me erased from the Earth, while i pose no threat to you.

Yet you will never attack a muslim in that way.

Although they believe in God and have been known to cause harm to others. You will not dare speak ill of them or denigrate their God!

Why? Because you know there are consequences. So you claim you hate Religion but scared to broach those that actually cause harm, while attacking those who simply go about their business in peace.

That is not only cowardice, it's insanity.

Yet am as calm as i can be. While you claim no God but always in a angry stupor over what people believe.

But am weird!

fatman 2019-03-16 04:40:55 

Why argue about this shite!? There is no god anyway.

bravos 2019-03-16 09:09:44 

In reply to fatman

cool

He just draws you in... smile

black 2019-03-16 10:51:13 

In reply to fatman

Why argue about this shite!? There is no god anyway.

Shhhhhhhh lol lol lol