Exaggerated sayings

Pages: 1  2  next 
link black Joined: Feb 28, 2004
3/14/19 9:23:51 AM 
I am talking about sayings that convey a certain meaning but with a little exaggeration.

Example: That b**ch is so good, she could suck a golf ball through a straw. lol

link Ayenmol Joined: May 4, 2003
3/14/19 9:33:02 AM 
It's called hyperbole.

3/14/19 9:56:24 AM 
In reply to Ayenmol

Thanks.

3/14/19 9:57:44 AM 
Have you heard this one?

I'm going to break my foot off in your ass. lol

3/14/19 10:02:24 AM 
In reply to black

Yeah...usually uttured by keyboard warriors, when emasculated by facts.

Or tuth.

Or reason.

Or for some, just about any push back results in a vengeful rage.

link bravos Joined: Oct 14, 2009
3/14/19 10:41:18 AM 
In reply to black

It's called hyperbole

The bible fulla dem...

3/14/19 10:50:32 AM 
In reply to bravos

lol lol lol

3/14/19 11:01:44 AM 
In reply to bravos

Example?

Let's beat this dead horse again...because, emasculated....

link pelon Joined: Mar 22, 2008
3/14/19 11:48:38 AM 
EXHIBIT A:
It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God

EXHIBIT B:Homey Jesus
The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his field. It is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is larger than all the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches.

SIDENOTE: Mustard Seed is NOT the smallest seed, but Jesus gets a pass.

And for fun let us compare:
EXHIBIT C:
“You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.” (Matt. 23:24)

to today's drivel from Black
"That b**ch is so good, she could suck a golf ball through a straw."

BOTH are figures of speech... both dealing with the impossible act of a. swallowing a camel and b. sucking a golf ball...
But you want to pretend you alone know the Bible because... well... the rest of us are fools. Carry on smartly.

Do you really want to suggest the authors of the Bible did not delve into hyperbole.

link sudden Joined: Nov 27, 2006
3/14/19 11:54:18 AM 
In reply to pelon

boy luk wuh you gone an do big grin

3/14/19 11:59:57 AM 
In reply to pelon

Um...who said that the Bible does not use hyperbole?

Hyperbole is an effective teaching tool.

All i did was provide the man the proper term for what he was describing. And the obvious fact that he does not realize it is a well accepted and understood teaching tool as he was endeavoring to present it as a new thought!

As to Bravos my point was that he was simplly regurgitating what he heard and not speaking from knowledge.

3/14/19 12:01:33 PM 
In reply to sudden

What did he do? State the obvious?

Or are you mesmerized because it is new to you?

Or believe i am not aware?

Speak for yourself.

3/14/19 12:03:52 PM 
In reply to Ayenmol

Example?
Let's beat this dead horse again...because, emasculated....

Don't be a jackass. That post by you suggest no example could be found.

You think you alone read the bible here???? my "Exhibit C" above is a perfect comparison of exaggeration for effect...

your "let us beat this dead horse" (also hyperbole) suggest no example existed. You can't play games with me boss.

3/14/19 12:05:54 PM 
In reply to Ayenmol

All i did was provide the man the proper term for what he was describing. And the obvious fact that he does not realize it is a well accepted and understood teaching tool as he was endeavoring to present it as a new thought!

Why do you always make up your own facts?

Who said it was not well accepted?

And yes, I am familiar with the term hyperbole.  

3/14/19 12:06:45 PM 
By the way...the mustard seed was the smallest seed known to the audience Jesus was speaking to.

He was not trying to point out how knowledgeable he was and go above the heads of those he was speaking to, but seeking to ensure they get the point of his anology...

Speakers are aware of this...know your audience.

3/14/19 12:09:04 PM 
In reply to black

And yes, I am familiar with the term hyperbole.

So why did'nt you use the proper term?

Am not gonna bother going down that rabbit hole...if i had let ot play out, i woulda been proven right and you woulda still denied it, so...

Whatever you say...

link bravos Joined: Oct 14, 2009
3/14/19 12:09:53 PM 
In reply to pelon

I thought at least he would have known the one with the camel..

Bible thumpers know the bible the least..

They're basically dishonest and deluded salesmen..

3/14/19 12:10:37 PM 
In reply to Ayenmol

By the way...the mustard seed was the smallest seed known to the audience Jesus was speaking to.

Yes, I agree Jesus was wrong - because of the unknown. As such, you accept that the utterance of "the son of god" could be wrong....

Do you play chess?

3/14/19 12:12:36 PM 
In reply to pelon

Really? Are you aware of discussions i have with this guy where he makes blind sweeping statements of the Bible, while claiming he has read it multiple times?

Why you think am so aware of the term?

You want me to provide you with articles from the Watchrower and Awake that speak to these very facts?

I know you all are upset with my constantly being proven right and your desperation to knock me down a peg...but.

3/14/19 12:16:35 PM 
In reply to bravos

Bible thumpers know the bible the least..

Meaning you know the Bible better than me...thanks for proving my point!

Yet pelon had to point it out 47 minutes after my post.

If you were so aware why were you unable to come back with the example?

My point exactly.

3/14/19 12:23:01 PM 
In reply to pelon

The people in the bible only spoke of what they knew at that time. I am willing to bet, most of the world (at that time) had never seen a camel.

That is why a lot of things in the bible today don't make a lot of sense.

3/14/19 12:28:37 PM 
In reply to Ayenmol

Today, you posted that Jesus made a statement that was not factual. You excused it by stating: "he did not know" - which we accept. However, in the long game of chess, you made the weakest possible play, set up and delivered to you on a silver platter (please note the use hyperbole here).

It was too easy.

smile smile

3/14/19 12:38:45 PM 
In reply to pelon

Hyperbole is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally. Hyperboles are exaggerations to create emphasis or effect.

You think you alone read the bible here???? my "Exhibit C" above is a perfect comparison of exaggeration for effect...

your "let us beat this dead horse" (also hyperbole) suggest no example existed. You can't play games with me boss.

I have never said such, i never implied such.

Easy to tell though when someone claims they have knowledge of a subject when it is obvious they do not.

I am well aware of the hyperbole used in the Bible. And the fact that am able to identify hyperbole so quickly indicates am able to do so when reading the scriptures.

So ypu think i donxt read the Bible?

Because i know the myth here is that am a fanatic and a Bible thumper, because i invoke the scriptures when discussing subjects.

Any Biblical discussions i have had here has been in response to an attack by someone else!

So it seems that you want to want to have your cake and eat it to...

Claim i am Biblically illiterate when it suits you.
And am a fanatic when it suits you.

Can't have it both ways. Whenever there is a discussion i encourage people to read the Bible themselves.

I do not engage in am better than you or read the Bible more than anyone, talk.

Most people here are upset becauee i use my Bible trained conscience when dealing with issues.

They want to speak from their knowledge and experience freely in discussion. Then curse me out when i do the same because, apparently, am supposed to separate my Religion and conscience from my reasoning, since it makes them uncomfortable.

The dead horse is the stance of Bravos and others here who attack my belief in the Bible.

Not what thd Bible contains!

If i am able to refute the misguided post regarding how the Bible hates women and view them as unclean.
Hyperbole is easy.

But i always ask them to post the example first....and it always takes hours for a reply if ever....why?

Because it is not based on knowledge but hateful attack.

Nothing new.

3/14/19 12:58:06 PM 
In reply to pelon

Today, you posted that Jesus made a statement that was not factual. You excused it by stating: "he did not know" - which we accept.

First of all. You are reaching. I never said "he did not know". Which you put in quotes which is a straight lie!

I said the smallest seed known to the AUDIENCE he was talking to...so do you not understand the meaning of quotation marks/ Or are you lying to try and make a failed point?

Plus hyperbole when used in teaching is directed at your AUDIENCE, not you. Speakers are well aware, like I said earlier, that effective teaching targets the ability of your audience to quickly get the point for which you are using the figure of speech!

Otherwise you lose the audience and are worse off.

But you are implying that Jesus was unaware of smaller seeds.

That is your perogative. I am well aware of that argument and it has been used many times. But the fact is it was used as a figure of speech not a statement of fact...and the fact that in trying to make that point you lie about something I did not say speake to your own dishonesty in such a little thing.

3/14/19 1:10:02 PM 
In reply to Ayenmol

He was not trying to point out how knowledgeable he was and go above the heads of those he was speaking to, but seeking to ensure they get the point of his anology...

Jesus said: "It is the smallest of all seeds"

I give you a choice:

a. he lied (he knew better)
b. he did not know at the time it was NOT the smallest seed, and an honest mistake.
c. he knew, but because of audience, he said it was the smallest seed of all seeds.

From there, spin your BS.

Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Confused Cool Laughing Razz Embarassed Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink

Pages: 1  2  next