The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Shallow: WIPA, CWI truce no measure of player satisfaction

sgtdjones 2019-03-15 12:08:41 

Shallow: WIPA, CWI truce no measure of player satisfaction

BRIDGETOWN, Bar­ba­dos – Crick­et West In­dies vice-pres­i­den­tial can­di­date, Dr Kishore Shal­low, is not con­vinced the im­proved re­la­tion­ship be­tween the board and play­ers union, WIPA, is as healthy as is be­ing pur­port­ed.

Re­la­tions be­tween the two bod­ies have been ac­ri­mo­nious in the past but in re­cent years have set­tled down, with CWI pres­i­dent Dave Cameron and WIPA pres­i­dent, Wavell Hinds – both Ja­maicans – seem­ing­ly en­joy­ing a pro­duc­tive re­la­tion­ship.

But Shal­low said the ces­sa­tion of hos­til­i­ties be­tween CWI and WIPA was not nec­es­sar­i­ly in­dica­tive of the play­er's hap­pi­ness with the way the board was be­ing run.

“We’ve been mis­led some­what to think there’s a great re­la­tion­ship with WIPA [be­cause] of Dave Cameron and Wavell Hinds,” Shal­low said dur­ing a crick­et fo­rum at the UWI Cave Hill Cam­pus here ear­li­er this week.

“We ob­vi­ous­ly know bet­ter. What is im­por­tant is that we of­fer our play­ers that sense of se­cu­ri­ty.”

Point­ing to the re­cent move by the board to re­tain the one-day play­ers for the Twen­ty20 se­ries against Eng­land, Shal­low said the de­ci­sion had lacked trans­paren­cy, prop­er plan­ning and had not gone down well with sev­er­al spe­cial­ist T20 play­ers.

The board an­nounced 24 hours be­fore the open­ing T20 In­ter­na­tion­al on March 5 in St Lu­cia that the one-day squad would be kept to­geth­er for the se­ries, in or­der to fur­ther plan­ning for the ICC World Cup in Eng­land lat­er this year.

“This re­cent de­ci­sion to have play­ers, our one-day play­ers, at the very last minute [re­tained for the T20 se­ries], I can tell you that play­ers all around the re­gion on the week­end were won­der­ing if they were go­ing to be se­lect­ed to play on Tues­day, for this T20 se­ries,” Shal­low told the au­di­ence.

“At the very last minute af­ter sac­ri­fices, they are told ‘no, you’re not play­ing be­cause we’re keep­ing this group of play­ers’. That can­not help the re­la­tion­ship be­tween the board and play­ers be­cause while the se­lect­ed play­ers would have been hap­py for the op­por­tu­ni­ty, these are the spe­cial­ists who have made great sac­ri­fices and who will be dis­grun­tled and lose trust in the board.”

West In­dies sub­se­quent­ly suf­fered an em­bar­rass­ing 3-0 white­wash, dis­missed for his­toric lows of 45 and 71 in the sec­ond and third match­es in St Kitts.

Shal­low, the pres­i­dent of St Vin­cent and the Grenadines Crick­et As­so­ci­a­tion, said CWI’s de­ci­sion-mak­ing need­ed to be of such that it pro­mot­ed trust with play­ers.

“We have to start by be­ing hon­est with the play­ers,” Shal­low con­tend­ed. “We have to be con­sis­tent in our de­ci­sion-mak­ing and we have to show that lev­el of trans­paren­cy in terms of how we make our de­ci­sions as a board.”

Shal­low will be up against in­cum­bent Em­manuel Nan­than at the March 24 CWI elec­tions in Ja­maica, while run­ning mate Ricky Sker­ritt is chal­leng­ing in­cum­bent pres­i­dent Dave Cameron.

Link Text