The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Link to FB live feed of Buju Banton's concert

Yamfoot 2019-03-16 22:51:10 

Long Walk To Freedom

birdseye 2019-03-17 05:19:40 

In reply to Yamfoot

Me have so many niece and nephews and cousins and family who spen money gone a jamaica to this concert – the world surely gone mad

Chrissy 2019-03-17 06:54:23 

In reply to birdseye

Bro everywhere I went for di past few day was packed wid overseas Yardies. lol

cricketmad 2019-03-17 07:15:14 

In reply to birdseye

The hype tun up!

XDFIX 2019-03-17 09:18:39 

When they gonna make Buju a national hero?

Next will be Kartel - a fast run to freedom!

In part, a big session of denigrating women and a celebration of "shotters"!

nitro 2019-03-17 11:32:56 

In reply to XDFIX

Jamaicans love their criminals but cry over the high crime rate.

In reply to nitro

We love Jamaicans, criminal or not..we are not going to turn our backs on a fellow citizen like you guys do it in the rest of the Caribbean!!!!!

Chrissy 2019-03-17 11:56:49 

In reply to Avatar

nitro is a St Bess Jamaican..Hope you noticed that Constant Spring police are asking said Buju to come in after he physically attacked his own son.

I've been collecting Buju's music for decades - from when he was a skinny unknown. I even remember going to Jamaica House to hear him one labour day, but I passed on the concert.

Drapsey 2019-03-17 12:02:13 

In reply to nitro & XDFIX

Jamaicans love their criminals but cry over the high crime rate.

Buju was set-up by the faggots. Still I won't forgive him for naivety knowing how they felt towards him.

Just a reminder in case you forgot.

For the record, I was never (and will never be) a fan.

jacksprat 2019-03-17 12:03:34 

His music is quite compelling and I actually own some of it but this goes beyond just entertainment. I am yet to see any hint of contrition.

I know so many people - close family and friends- who traveled to Jamaica from all parts of North America to attend this concert. I took a pass.

Call me a lone killjoy, if you will, but I choose not to support this venture, even with the inducement of free passage and complimentary tickets.

How could I in good conscience tell the children around me about morality and then turn around and celebrate a convicted drug dealer as if he were some returning hero?

I will not endorse such hypocrisy!

birdseye 2019-03-17 12:23:31 

In reply to jacksprat

aside from Destiny – I struggle to find an appreciative Buhu song – maybe ‘good body’ ---- - him definitely not a top 20 yardy reggae recording artist fi me

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-03-17 12:26:31 

In reply to birdseye

What about Driver? Life imitate art or art imitate life

jacksprat 2019-03-17 12:29:41 

In reply to birdseye

aside from Destiny – I struggle to find an appreciative Buhu song – maybe ‘good body’ ---- - him definitely not a top 20 yardy reggae recording artist fi me

Destiny was actually based on a song of the same name from the early Wailers catalogue.

Buju has done a number of songs that I like including Driver- his drug dealer's confessional- and most of the songs from his 2 albums, circa 96-99.

newdread 2019-03-17 13:22:55 

In reply to jacksprat

Do you believe in redemption?

Paying one's debt to society as prescribed by law?

Or do you expect human beings to be perfect?

Who is being hypocritical here?

You mention the Wailers catalogue.....they also did this song Link Text

nitro 2019-03-17 13:29:19 

In reply to Chrissy

Prof, why you had to spoil my trolling!

JohnBull 2019-03-17 13:30:54 

In reply to birdseye

Sudan .... Close one yesterday .... Circumstances .... Psalm 23 .... Hills and Valleys .... Not an easy road .... Shiloh .....and there's more.

Prior to his arrest the man was on his way to becoming the most influential reggae artist since Bob. Then he phucked up big time and paid the price.

Now I don't know about the rest of yuh all but I am not ready to judge the man yet. He made a mistake and paid for it and I'm gonna give him the time to show what he intends to do with his second chance.

nitro 2019-03-17 13:34:38 

In reply to JohnBull

The most important thing for him and i hope he makes the best of is that millions are like you, ready to give him a second chance. The Yard full of Americans who came for this show.

HumbleCalf 2019-03-17 14:06:13 

In reply to birdseye

In my humble opinion, Buju is by far the best DJ Jamaica has produced. His lyrics are deep in thought, of a high caliber and wide ranging. There may be DJs with a smoother voice and ones who are better in spontaneous situations and better in "clash" but none can touch him with the quality of recorded lyrics. Whether he is offering social commentary, getting deeply religious, expressing feelings of love or admonishing the behavior of (us) Jamaicans, it's all top shelf.

What happened to Buju serves as a reminder that one should not go overboard in idolizing any person, but rather simply admire and enjoy their works. Buju has an admirable body of work. I will continue to support Buju.

As I get older, I see more and more people who you would think are smarter, doing stupid things and getting into problems...and I wonder, why?

JohnBull 2019-03-17 14:14:11 

In reply to nitro

I'm not too sure whether the show's attendance is indicative of our capacity to forgive or our need say we were present on the night .... good arguments can be made for either case. But whatever, Buju, just like any one of us, deserves a second chance. It's now up to him what he makes of it.

JohnBull 2019-03-17 14:17:55 

In reply to HumbleCalf

Where yuh been dread ... ah thought yuh was dead ....?

Anyway ....ah glad yuh surface ...ah was juss about to put my black suit in the cleaners .... big grin

HumbleCalf 2019-03-17 14:23:47 

In reply to JohnBull

big grin

Had to surface fi my bway, Buju.

Alive and strong boss!

JahJah 2019-03-17 14:36:28 

In reply to birdseye

Yu serious boss??? Untold Stories never grip you? Top 20 easily, without even a second though. Well, I guess that's what opinions are for though.

Listen to all of his albums (especially Til Shiloh, Mr Mention, Voice of Jamaica and Inna Heights). He is one of the greatest artistes Jamaica ever produced. Can't bother to list all the songs coz dat gon' tel way too long, but Murderer, Give I Strength, Champion, Untold Stories, Til I'm Laid To Rest, Single Parent, Love Sponge etc etc etc.

Lawks.

jacksprat 2019-03-17 15:01:06 

In reply to newdread

Do you believe in redemption? Paying one's debt to society as prescribed by law?

I also believe in contrition before redemption. I was once offered the chance to interview the convicted rapist Jah Cure and I also passed on that. He too had ostensibly "paid his debt to society" as "prescribed by law" for his "little mistake", according to his apologists.

At least I am consistent. I can no more support the "imperfect human being" Jah Cure than I can the more famous Buju Banton without an acknowledgement of their wrong doing

We all have free will. I have an aversion to charlatans and people spreading drugs and their poison and wreaking havoc in our community.

If you want to call that hypocrisy, so be it.

I will lose not one second of sleep over your opinion.

Feel free to spend your funds and time to support whomever you choose to and I will do the same.

XDFIX 2019-03-17 15:02:57 

Buju Banton’s son Markus Myrie has filed a police report amidst an altercation between the two

Markus Myrie, who is a music producer, launched into a tirade on Instagram calling his famous father a “coke head.”

“So much drama since December,” Markus wrote. “This man needs to go back to prison and dead in deh [Donald Trump] Y pree? come for [Buju Banton].”

XDFIX 2019-03-17 15:09:09 

In reply to HumbleCalf

In my humble opinion, Buju is by far the best DJ Jamaica has produced.

I think Beenie Man is number one on the sheer number of hits and longevity!

JahJah 2019-03-17 15:32:26 

In reply to XDFIX

I don't think Beenie's lyrics come anywhere close to Buju's. Beenie basically mostly good for the Girl Dem Sugah type of songs. Buju can do that and more.

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-03-17 17:08:06 

Link Text

Can a Jamaican interpret the text on the video.

Is the son a bmw?

JahJah 2019-03-17 17:55:09 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

All of a sudden you don't understand Jamaican-speak?

birdseye 2019-03-17 17:59:09 

In reply to JahJah

Guess I’ll have to give some difference to you, JohnBull and others and listen to Buju some more – and as Chrissy would se – wheel and come again – he, his music has never been part of my listening pleasure – one or two of his rhythms creates a certain vibe/reaction at a session – that’s been it .

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-03-17 18:04:59 

In reply to JahJah

Read the text and was confused whether his mother raised him as a bmw or a jamaican....buju nah like bmw

camos 2019-03-17 18:40:35 

Bob did time, think Bunny and Peter also..Toots and Marcus Garvey,so be careful in judging an offender!

Yamfoot 2019-03-17 18:57:58 

In reply to JahJah

Love me some Beenie!

jacksprat 2019-03-17 19:23:12 

In reply to camos

Bob did time, think Bunny and Peter also..Toots and Marcus Garvey,so be careful in judging an offender!

Are you serious?rolleyes

And Dudus did time..and Claudie Massop and Jim Brown...and Zekes and Vybs Kartel and Ninja Man are doing (did) serious time for their criminal activities !!! Are you going to implore equal care in "judging [those] offenders" as well?

What is your point?

Are you really going to compare Buju Banton to Marcus Garvey?

MLK and Mandela also spent time in detention. I guess some misguded folks will also try to compare Buju to them as well.

Bunny and Toots did time for herbs possession and Bob and Peter were arrested for the same. None was a drug dealer.

I am curious: knowing the bigotry of many Jamaicans, I wonder if instead of Buju and cocaine, the FBI had instead set up a sting involving Buju and a homosexual act, how many of these apologists would just as blindly come to his defense and rationalise his behaviour as just "human imperfection"?

camos 2019-03-17 19:34:42 

In reply to jacksprat

Garvey was charged with fraud, it is said he was set up ,why can't question Bujus"s case in light of our experience with law enforcement and watch his life going forward?

jacksprat 2019-03-17 19:50:32 

There had been rumours about this so-called Rastaman for years so some were not surprised when he got caught in that sting.

So if you want to believe this failed drug deal was a one time thing, or the first time, I am sure the FEDS would beg to disagree - hence the sting.

I guess his hubris finally caught up with him

Garvey was charged with fraud, it is said he was set up ,why can't question Bujus"s case in light of our experience with law enforcement and watch his life going forward?

The transcript is available in plain black and white for everyone to read and decide for himself.

Plus, we saw Buju on the tape with our own eyes when he stepped to the cocaine, cut it, tasted it and pronounced it "some good Sh....".

How would he know?

This sounds like a seasoned user/dealer, familiar with the drug and its "qualities"; and who knew what he was doing was wrong. This is why he said he would fund the drug deal, and make someone else take the risk because he did not want to chance being help culpable for his own criminality.

birdseye 2019-03-17 19:51:55 

In reply to camos

Are you saying all frauds are equal? I am sure the underground railroad sometimes used deceit to get their cargo across state line --- would you equate that to Manfort defrauding the IRS of 6 ½ million $?

camos 2019-03-17 20:02:21 

In reply to birdseye

Are you saying all frauds are equal
can't really answer that , but my point is that it is serious and there are people who would think it is more serious than a man trying to peddle drugs.

StumpCam 2019-03-17 20:27:22 

For the record, I’ll have to rank Buju as one of the best reggae artist since Bob!
Like JahJah said ahead of Beenie and Elephant man and the like!

Chrissy 2019-03-17 21:14:23 

In reply to jacksprat

Tenks bro - no wonder we get along so well

Chrissy 2019-03-17 21:15:35 

In reply to StumpCam

NO doubt he's one of the greats and I know I missed a great show but I made the right decision for me.

Real-cricket 2019-03-17 21:25:02 

For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Yes what Buju did in the past was wrong but that wrong wont define who Buju is musically

Buju is a musical genius and that concert performance last night was out of this world!Reminded me of what reggae music used to be like back in the days.

The detractors will use his imperfections and misdemeanors of the past to mask is musical ingenuity.The best Reggae artiste and performer after Bob Marley .

Btw for you Jamaican peeps, has any political party over there been able to attract the turn out of people that was seen last night at apolitical rally? just asking. Let me know

JohnBull 2019-03-17 21:55:59 

In reply to Chrissy

I even remember going to Jamaica House to hear him one labour day, but I passed on the concert.

Why, exactly, did you pass on the concert?

JohnBull 2019-03-17 22:02:04 

In reply to jacksprat

I also believe in contrition before redemption.

Spratty ....what evidence do you have that the man has not expressed remorse?

What for you will constitute contrition?

JahJah 2019-03-17 23:47:11 

The holier than though Buju detractors. I can't remember if it's the same people who were shedding tears (or close to it) for Winnie Mandela, but it would be very amusing if they were.

Oh well.

jacksprat 2019-03-18 06:38:06 

In reply to JohnBull

Spratty ....what evidence do you have that the man has not expressed remorse?

I am aware of none but if you have some contrary evidence that he has done so, please point me to it and I will happily take a luck and adjust my opinion accordingly.

But as my bredren Orville Taylor opined (and I fully endorse), as evidenced by his song Driver, where bragged about his drug dealing activities, he was likely a well-established drug dealer [and] deserved no hero's welcome.

And So Me Seh To!

Who Wan' Bex, Bex!

I hold no brief for criminal entertainers -regardless of how much I may admire their talent- whether they are called Ninja Man, Vybes Kartel, Bill Cosby or Buju banton

newdread 2019-03-18 09:28:46 

In reply to jacksprat

But as my bredren Orville Taylor opined (and I fully endorse), as evidenced by his song Driver, where bragged about his drug dealing activities, he was likely a well-established drug dealer [and] deserved no hero's welcome.

Are you serious? Ah mean...me no bex ennuh....just incredulous at such a leap of logic....by both of you.

Oh well....by the way, are you unable or unwilling to answer this question posed by John Bull

What for you will constitute contrition?

Larr Pullo 2019-03-18 09:47:29 

In reply to jacksprat

A pounds dem a buy when a tons dem a ship
Green like grass brown like chocolate

FWIW Buju was talking about weed, which btw was legalized and now all the "WITE PEEPO" making money off of it while the others hold the time.

birdseye 2019-03-18 11:37:13 

In reply to HumbleCalf

In my humble opinion, Buju is by far the best DJ Jamaica has produced. His lyrics are deep in thought, of a high caliber and wide ranging.

vybz kartel wink wink wink

deanjones 2019-03-18 11:56:47 

Operation Ardent and Make My day are 2 of favourite Buju songs. But Terror Fabulous was my boy.

DukeStreet 2019-03-18 15:00:41 

In reply to Yamfoot

Well, we set up shop in my house and watch the WHOLE concert from start to finish. Never mind we had to jump from live feed to live feed. It amazes me that in this day of technology and know how, our regional folks still can't provide a proper live concert online without glitches, interruptions and all kinds of fuckries.

Anyway, he did not disappoint. Greatest reggae artist since Bob. No doubt about it! His son may have been a distraction but it was minor. I heard he told the badminded boy to go and sell a box of tickets for him and the badminded and wicked boy kept all the money for himself. He then tried to cuss out Buju in front of all Big People dem but received a good jailhouse boxdung. In any case, he is apologizing now because no one in their right mind is listening to him.

Buju is back!

cool

Runs 2019-03-18 15:04:20 

Even I like Buju iyah and I am not a real afficionado lol

birdseye 2019-03-18 17:57:09 

Wha dis mi a hear that police was waiting fi Buju when hi come off stage satide nite

methodic 2019-03-18 21:53:07 

Buju could be the best DJ but he is far from being the second best artist from JA.

Emir 2019-03-18 22:07:35 

In reply to jacksprat

cool

DukeStreet 2019-03-18 22:48:59 

In reply to birdseye

Wha dis mi a hear that police was waiting fi Buju when hi come off stage satide nite
fake news bruh