Message Board Archives

why do people remain poor?

methodic 2019-03-18 06:55:03 

in an environment where there appears to be ample opportunity to improve

FuzzyWuzzy 2019-03-18 07:02:26 

In reply to methodic

Where are these opportunities?

problemjay 2019-03-18 08:24:06 

because some of them (especially the youth) want success right now they want it fast! so utilising the opportunity may not be good enough because the poor ghetto youth is seeing nice shoes and gold chain and want it now, so why go to school? why go learn a trade and work hard for the system... especially when they can cook up a scheme to get it fast... in the end most times their schemes and plans keep them poor

Emir 2019-03-18 08:24:58 

In reply to methodic

By poor, your measurement is money and financial assets and conversely you don't mean measurement of happiness, morality, ethics, self fulfillment, etc etc?

problemjay 2019-03-18 08:25:20 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Financial aid for school, government on the job training programs... in some countries they go as far to provide meals and transportation for low income students

problemjay 2019-03-18 08:26:04 

In reply to Emir

By poor, your measurement is money and financial assets and conversely you don't mean measurement of happiness, morality, ethics, self fulfillment, etc etc?

lol look how you trying to be technical just answer d question

Emir 2019-03-18 09:33:00 

In reply to problemjay

No padner, I not trying to be technical, at my age I have come to learn that "poor" or "rich" must be measured by different metrics and NOT ONLY MONEY OR FINANCIAL ASSETS, so thus I ask the poster to define what he meant by "poor"

The poster's question stays vague but it is an important topic and I thank the poster for bringing up this topic.

Ewart 2019-03-18 09:50:37 

In reply to methodic

Because wealthy people need people to do the work for them so they can become wealthier.

Simple.

//

RemainsUnknown 2019-03-18 09:56:19 

In reply to Ewart

Because wealthy people need people to do the work for them so they can become wealthier.

Simple.

//
REALLY? wow. Are you accusing [some] "poor people" to be brainless? wink wink wink

PS. Those who are poor and continue to be poor because of the above (said by Ewart), deserve to be where they are.

'If you are born poor, it's not your fault, but if you die poor, then that's your fault.' _bg

nick2020 2019-03-18 10:36:20 

In reply to methodic

Because we live in a relative world and if everyone was rich then no one would be rich.
Because we are not created equally.

Bravos considers himself rich. But if he was in a FL spa with Robert Kraft and his friends he would be pretty poor.

Wealth is relative to everyone else.
Happiness is relative to yourself.

This is why it is far better to strive for happiness.

Casper 2019-03-18 11:58:16 

In reply to methodic:

Let me rephrase your question, as I think this is what you are asking.

Why do people remain poor in an environment where there appears to be ample opportunity to improve?

Then, I have to ask is this a blanket statement made from what you believe to be the case or are you seeking enlightenment?

In either case, very few here can answer that question intelligently, unless they have done the research on this issue, as I am certain there is such research, or their biases against the poor is revealed without any sympathy or understanding of the disadvantages the poor face.

So to help you, see if you can better understanding of those disadvantages but reading this.

birdseye 2019-03-18 12:10:19 

Emir asked a pertinent question – what do you mean by ‘poor’? since the question is both qualitative and quantitative. …

camos 2019-03-18 12:23:35 

In reply to methodic

people are poor because people are rich, life is a zero-sum game!

problemjay 2019-03-18 12:26:55 

In reply to birdseye

when a man hungry and cant pay his bills i am sure he is not happy...so how you want to measure poor and happiness now?

pelon 2019-03-18 12:36:33 

access to education. [By 'education' I do not mean academia]
access to capital.[Even educated minorities have difficult odds of getting financing, as a start-up]

avoidance of the 'success' trap [see this all the time: family member rises, lives lavishly in a singular context, does not lift those around themselves, thus perpetuating the struggle]
lastly: methodology. [get rich fast/fastest schemes never support legacy]

Happiness and misery reside at every level of class. Wealth (or lack thereof) is not a gauge/indicator of happiness.

This is why it is far better to strive for happiness.
co-sign

birdseye 2019-03-18 13:38:55 

In reply to problemjay

when a man hungry and cant pay his bills i am sure he is not happy...so how you want to measure poor and happiness now?

Am I suppose to take the flip side of that and therefore conclude that people who don’t have those issues are always happy folks? If not why not? ---- and if no – then why should one conclude that ‘poor people’ stay perpetually unhappy rather than do something adaptive with their situation….

By the way your response seem rather aggressive – unhappy? maybe? wink wink --- guess there are other causes for unhappiness than being ‘poor’
just saying
wink wink

Ewart 2019-03-18 13:46:56 

In reply to RemainsUnknown

I don't usually argue with stupidity. And today I will not argue with a liar.

//

RemainsUnknown 2019-03-18 13:54:53 

In reply to Ewart

I don't usually argue with stupidity. And today I will not argue with a liar.
It would certainly be stupid to argue with oneself, indeed. wink wink wink

Quite a "smart" comment, this......

shock shock shock

methodic 2019-03-19 10:34:16 

In reply to Emir

When I was 9 or so, I had a chance to stay in a small village in Tobago for a vacation. Everybody grew their own food, raised their own livestock and their were plenty of fresh fish and sea food readily available. I could walk to two lovely beaches in fifteen minutes or less.. No one worked long hours and everyone had plenty of spare time. People will leave their home for hours and leave their doors wide open. It is the richest experience I ever had in my life. I sometimes wonder if you were to put a price on quality of life, how much that life will be worth today?

methodic 2019-03-19 10:38:20 

In reply to nick2020

Wealth is relative to everyone else.
Happiness is relative to yourself.

in my humble view of life, wealth and richness are two different things. To be happy, you have to be rich in something.

methodic 2019-03-19 10:45:02 

In reply to birdseye

Emir asked a pertinent question – what do you mean by ‘poor’? since the question is both qualitative and quantitative. …

I do believe if you have the quality as a community then the quantity will come. I am certain that quantity doesn't improve quality if quantity is what is sought first.

methodic 2019-03-19 11:01:43 

In reply to pelon

access to education. [By 'education' I do not mean academia]

In my assessment of that statement, I will add that education has to be taught by someone that can express love and concern. Also higher realms of understanding comes from reflection that triggers self education.

access to capital.

I do think capital will be easier to gain if you first generate some capital within the community. I will expand on this later.

avoidance of the 'success' trap [see this all the time: family member rises, lives lavishly in a singular context, does not lift those around themselves, thus perpetuating the struggle

In these situations I often question who designed the curriculum, how is the education taught and are these people really highly educated?

methodic 2019-03-19 11:08:23 

In reply to Ewart

Because wealthy people need people to do the work for them so they can become wealthier

And this is true, so they designed a system whether by craft or by impact to accomplish this. This system also provides protection, opportunities, information etc. that most are not privy too.

methodic 2019-03-19 11:21:42 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

1. The opportunity to respect life.
2. The opportunity to respect self.
3. The opportunity to respect property.
4. The opportunity to contribute positively to humanity.

These opportunities reside in your being.

maj 2019-03-19 12:22:26 

Ewart..

You ever met a poor plumber, electrician, admin assistant or babysitter. Choose the right path and you can prosper.

Because wealthy people need people to do the work for them so they can become wealthier

problemjay 2019-03-19 12:40:12 

Ask a poor man who struggling to buy food for himself and his family and everyday have to worry about his rent money, ask him how happy he is living life

nick2020 2019-03-19 12:41:46 

In reply to maj

So being a baby sitter is the wrong profession?

maj 2019-03-19 13:14:32 

In reply to nick2020

Absolutely not, they provide a needed service and get paid well to do it. Many get to go on vacations with their employees and get other benefits.

methodic 2019-03-19 13:29:29 

In reply to maj

as the man said, wealthy is relative, so too is paid well

maj 2019-03-19 13:32:08 

In reply to methodic

if you can pay your bills, provide for your family, put a roof over their heads, live within your means and be happy and content..you are wealthier than most.

nick2020 2019-03-19 14:54:50 

In reply to maj

And if you are providing a service to society and are not well compensated you chose wrong?

maj 2019-03-19 16:45:36 

In reply to nick2020

They chose the wrong employer. Find another.

cricketmad 2019-03-19 17:57:40 

In reply to methodic

Money makes money !

eXodus 2019-03-20 11:58:04 

Check this video out...it has a few tangents that may be applicable to this conversation

WestDem 2019-03-20 17:09:05 

In reply to pelon

cool