The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Human trafficking, growing trend among corrupt T&T police

sgtdjones 2019-03-22 13:51:41 

Human trafficking, growing trend among corrupt police
West sounds warning

POLICE Complaints Authority (PCA) head David West pointed out a growing concern - corrupt police officers are now engaging in human trafficking, particularly in Venezuelan girls.

“I am sure you will all agree with me that perhaps a decade ago the term human trafficking was not part of the law enforcement vernacular in this country. However it is now part of the crime fighting conversation and very much an issue of growing concern,” West said.

West said human trafficking was among the many forms of corruption that rogue police officers may engage in, and included receiving bribes, failing to record and investigate a report against a fellow officer, and disclosure of police information to benefit political groups.

“Every day you have complaints or headlines where police officers are involved in alleged corruption,” said West, “I invite you to pick up any newspaper as evidence of what I am saying here today.” As early as yesterday, it was reported that seven police officers were arrested and charged over an extra duty racket which they ran from their traffic branch posts.

Link Text