Dan_De_Lyan 2019-03-23 10:57:57 

Link Text

REDRUM

goofballs 2019-03-23 12:39:09 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

What's your POINT?

black 2019-03-23 12:47:44 

In reply to Dan_De_Lyan

Court heard she suffered from severe hallucinations and delusions that manifested as a voice commanding her to harm someone. She refused treatment for years while in custody and only became fit to stand trial in April 2018

Maybe the court should have taken into account her refusal to get treatment. It was probably her refusal to get treatment that led to this tragic stabbing.

Dan_De_Lyan 2019-03-23 13:03:19 

In reply to black

That is decision making-the refusal. Says sane to me.

goofballs 2019-03-23 13:03:37 

In reply to black

If she does not have the capacity to make rational decisions......

If the voices or Devil or God telling her not to take meds, or meds are poison......

Y'all think it is easy?

In a democracy, you cannot violate civil rights of anyone to force meds. After decades of legal battles, it was eventually allowed in hospital only in a complicated way to get a medical panel to review and approve/deny the need for forced tx in the inpatient unit.
You had to prove by action that the patient was dangerous in the hospital because some judge made a bad judgement and it became a precedent. Only last year or two ago it was overturned.
Some states got legislation passed to force meds in outpatient clinics.
If they haven't done anything dangerous yet judges are not moved.

In the same way try getting a mentally ill relative into the hospital unless you can prove they are dangerous. They haven't done anything yet, but experts can tell it is a matter of time.
Judges play like they more expert than psychiatrists.

black 2019-03-23 13:31:39 

In reply to goofballs

If she does not have the capacity to make rational decisions...... 

If the voices or Devil or God telling her not to take meds, or meds are poison...... 

Y'all think it is easy? 

Look, I know you are very knowledgeable in this area but maybe the way we look at all mental illnesses need to be revamped.

I would assume that this illness is progressive and there had to be a time when she realized she needed help. I mean, people do not get stark raving mad, overnight. There has to be a point where and when she realized she needed help.

In a democracy, you cannot violate civil rights of anyone to force meds. After decades of legal battles, it was eventually allowed in hospital only in a complicated way to get a medical panel to review and approve/deny the need for forced tx in the inpatient unit. 
You had to prove by action that the patient was dangerous in the hospital because some judge made a bad judgement and it became a precedent. Only last year or two ago it was overturned. 
Some states got legislation passed to force meds in outpatient clinics. 
If they haven't done anything dangerous yetjudges are not moved. 

In the same way try getting a mentally ill relative into the hospital unless you can prove they are dangerous. They haven't done anything yet, but experts can tell it is a matter of time. 
Judges play like they more expert than psychiatrists

"Yet", that is the operative word. It's the same way we approach terrorism, until someone is blown to bits. If fact, I would argue that it's easier to prevent mentally ill people from committing heinous crimes than preventing a terrorist from killing dozens of people. Mental illness is progressive, people refusing to get help, should be held responsible.

goofballs 2019-03-23 13:36:14 

In reply to black

All I have to say in this thread is

If she does not have the capacity to make rational decisions

Over and out!

black 2019-03-23 13:45:28 

In reply to goofballs

If she does not have the capacity to make rational decisions

How do you know that it was not her refusal to get help that led to this tragedy?

She refused treatment after she murdered someone. Who is to say she didn't do the same before the murder?